Reims is a bustling city: cultural, sporting, economic, academic, and home to many of the most prestigious champagne houses. The city is famous for its exquisite cathedral, where kings of France were crowned. A refined gem, Reims is also renowned as a Champagne producer and local gastronomy, in addition to its jewels of architectural heritage. Visiting the champagne cellars became a feature of the wine tour. Besides, Reims is often used as an additional option for Paris tours, just 45 minutes from Paris by TGV.
Reims is recognized for the diversity of its heritage, ranging from Romanesque to Art-déco. Reims Cathedral, the adjacent Palace of Tau, and the Abbey of Saint-Remi were listed together as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991 because of their outstanding Romanesque and Gothic architecture and their historical importance to the French monarchy. The Reims Cathedral, one of the most beautiful buildings of the European Middle Ages, is filled with history: almost all French kings were crowned there for about 1,000 years. However, most of the city’s old houses were destroyed during World War I, and the city was extensively rebuilt in the 1920s in an Art Deco style.
After the Roman conquest, Reims, then called Durocortorum, was integrated into the province of Belgium and became its capital. At its height, with its 30,000 inhabitants, the Gallo-Roman city had become one of the most populated north of the Alps. The Porte de Mars is the only one of the four gates allowing access to the ancient city still visible today. Under the Place du Forum, one of the three semi-buried galleries which formed the Gallo-Roman cryptoporticus has been unearthed. Built around the year 200, these galleries, which were used to store grain, are among the few to have been exhumed in the world.
Reims is a charming city, est known for its world heritage listed cathedral, where generations of French kings were crowned. Reims later played a prominent ceremonial role in French monarchical history as the traditional site of the coronation of the kings of France. The royal anointing was performed at the Cathedral of Reims, which housed the Holy Ampulla of chrism allegedly brought by a white dove at the baptism of Frankish king Clovis I in 496. For this reason, Reims is often referred to the Coronation City.
The baptism of Clovis, King of the Franks, by Remi, Bishop of Reims, took place on Christmas Day 498 in a baptistery whose location is occupied today by Notre-Dame Cathedral. It is following this baptism that Reims will become the seat of the coronation of the kings of France. In 816 the first royal coronation took place in Reims, that of Louis the Pious. The ceremony, usually five hours long, took place in the cathedral.
Notre-Dame, since it was built. It continued with the coronation banquet at the Palais du Tau and a pilgrimage to the body of Bishop Remi, in the basilica dedicated to him. The most memorable coronation remains that of the dauphin Charles VII, led to Reims by Joan of Arc on July 17, 1429 after the lifting of the siege of Orléans. A total of 33 sovereigns were crowned in Reims, the latest being Charles X in 1825.
Reims is also the largest city in the Champagne area and some the champagne cellars located in the city are likewise inscribed on the world heritage list. Reims, Épernay and Ay are the main places of champagne production. Many of the largest champagne producing houses, referred to as les grandes marques, have their head office in Reims. Most are open for champagne tasting and tours by appointment only. Champagne is aged in the many chalk caves and tunnels, some originating in the Roman period, located deep inside the ground. Reims is a fine base for exploring the Montagne de Reims Champagne Route.
During World War II, Reims hosted Eisenhower’s headquarters. It was there that, on May 7, 1945 at 2:41 a.m., General Alfred Jodl, Supreme Commander of the Wehrmacht, signed the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany.On July 8, 1962, German Chancellor Adenauer and General De Gaulle sealed the reconciliation between the German and French peoples at Notre-Dame Cathedral and erected Reims as a symbol of peace between Germany and France. The Museum of the Surrender has an extensive collection of artifacts, but the most thrilling sight is the war room, where Eisenhower managed Allied operations — and where the European part of the war ultimately ended.
Meticulously restored after WWI and again following WWII, Reims is endowed with handsome pedestrian boulevards, Roman remains, art-deco cafes and a flourishing fine-dining scene that counts among it four Michelin-starred restaurants. Rising golden and imperious above the city, the cathedral is where, over the course of a millennium.
Capital of Belgian Gaul, city of builders, city of coronations, Reims is a city to which history has given an exceptional destiny and heritage. With a Gothic cathedral that dates back more than 800 years, venerable Champagne caves, playful Art Deco style, and vibrant pedestrian zone, Reims is intoxicating.
Notre-Dame de Reims was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was the traditional location for the coronation of the kings of France. Reims Cathedral is one of the later Gothic cathedrals and renowned for its height.There is a fine interior west facade with carvings of Biblical scenes; some fine 13century stained glass in the high windows of the nave and choir; and windows by Marc Chagall (in the eastern chapel) and the two local artists Jacques and Brigitte Simon. The south transept window by Jacques Simon shows themes linked with champagne including a portrait of the monk who invented it, Dom Perignon.It is one of the major achievements of Gothic art in France, both for its architecture and for its statuary, which includes 2,303 statues.it has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991.
The cathedral church is thought to have been founded by the bishop Nicasius in the early 5th century. Clovis was baptized a Christian here by Saint Remigius, the bishop of Reims, about a century later. He was the first Frankish king to receive this sacrament. Construction of the present Reims Cathedral began in the 13th century and concluded in the 14th century. A prominent example of High Gothic architecture, it was built to replace an earlier church destroyed by fire in 1210. Although little damaged during the French Revolution, the present cathedral saw extensive restoration in the 19th century. It was severely damaged during World War I and the church was again restored in the 20th century.
Palace of Tau
The Palace of Tau, located right next to the Cathedral, was the palace of the Archbishop of Reims. The Palace was the residence of the kings of France before their coronation in Notre-Dame de Reims. The king was dressed for the coronation at the palace before proceeding to the cathedral; afterwards, a banquet was held at the palace. The first recorded coronation banquet was held at the palace in 990, and the most recent in 1825. Because of its historical importance for the French monarchy, the Palace of Tau was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1991. Today, it serves to host cultural events for the city of Reims. In recent years it has been the setting for Sciences Po Paris’s RIMUN association’s annual gala.
The palace has housed the Musée de l’Œuvre since 1972, displaying statuary and tapestries from the cathedral, together with the remains of the cathedral treasury and other objects associated with the coronation of the French kings, among them: The “Holy Ampulla” (“Sainte Ampoule”), which was used in every single title since Clovis; The talisman of Charlemagne; The coat worn at the coronation of Charles X; The chalice of Saint-Remi; Tapestries and large statues coming from the cathedral.
Basilica of Saint-Remi
The Basilica of Saint-Remi is a medieval abbey church in Reims, France (Rue Simon). The Basilica of Saint-Remi dates from the 11th, 12th, 13th and 15th centuries. The eleventh-century nave and transepts, in the Romanesque style, are the oldest; the façade of the south transept is the most recent. Most of the construction of the church finished in the 11th century, with additions made later. The nave and transepts, Gothic in style, date mainly from the earliest, the façade of the south transept from the latest of those periods, the choir and apse chapels from the 12th and 13th centuries.
The building suffered greatly in World War I; the meticulous restoration work of architect Henri Deneux (1874–1969) rebuilt it from its ruins over the following 40 years. As of 2009 it remains the seat of an active Catholic parish holding regular worship services and welcoming pilgrims.It is one of the pinnacles of the history of art and of the history of France. The church has been a monument historique since 1840, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991 as a part of Cathedral of Notre-Dame, former Abbey of Saint-Remi and Palace of Tau.
The Musée Saint-Remi is an archeology and art museum in Reims, France. The museum is housed in the former Abbey of Saint-Remi, founded in the sixth century and which had been keeping since 1099 the relics of Saint Remigius (the Bishop of Reims who converted Frankish king Clovis I to Christianity in 496). The Basilica of Saint-Remi, adjacent to it and consecrated in 1049, was its abbey church. Both buildings have been listed as part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991 because of their outstanding architecture and importance in the early French monarchy.
Porte de Mars is an ancient Roman triumphal arch in Reims, France. It dates from the third century AD, and was the widest arch in the Roman world. The monumental Mars Gate dates from the first part of the 3rd century and is the only remaining of four gates that gave access to the Gallo-Roman town known as Durocortorum. The arch stands 32 metres long and 13 metres high, with three wide arched openings. It was named after a nearby temple to Mars. The arch has many highly detailed carvings on its exterior and on the ceilings of its three passageways, including Romulus and Remus, farm workers, and Leda and the swan. It became part of the castle of the archbishops in 1228, which was destroyed in 1595, leaving the arch, with the openings blocked, part of the city walls. Rediscovered in 1667, it was not fully revealed until the dismantling of the city walls in 1844-54.
Hotel de la Salle
The Hôtel de La Salle is a former 16th century private mansion, located rue du Docteur-Jacquinnote in Reims. This residence is the birthplace of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, founder in the 18th century of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools. The Hotel de La Salle bears witness to the Renaissance period with an architectural style inspired by antiquity. The pilasters of the façade are Doric on the ground floor and Ionic on the upper floor. The inner courtyard still has a spiral staircase leading to the floors, topped by a brick turret dating from 1556-1557. The decor of the courtyard is reminiscent of the fluted pilasters and the triglyph frieze of the facade.
The building, which was bombed and burnt down in 1914-1918, owes its survival and restoration to the then owner, Jean Lhose, director of the Maison de Biscuits de Champagne Fossier, which had its head office and factory there. The house was carefully restored in 1920 by Marc Margotin and Louis Roubert. The hotel has been classified as a historical monument since April 1920. Currently, the Brothers have a research center there with a library. Since May 2015, following a major restoration campaign undertaken in 2014, a new museum tour presents the history of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools and their founder.
Hôtel de ville
The Hôtel de ville is the town hall in the French city of Reims. Previously housing a museum, the city archives, a savings bank, a library, the city police, a tribunal and the chamber of commerce, it now only houses municipal services. Hôtel de ville is a square building, or almost, with four similar wings which delimit a court which shelters a statue of René de Saint-Marceaux which symbolizes the vine and the foam of Champagne. Each angle is materialized by a square tower. The roof is cutaway slate. The south-facing facade is topped with an octagonal campanile which has a clock that strikes the quarter of an hour, it is made up of twenty high windows on two levels which are surrounded by columns. The entrance door is surrounded by four niches which never housed the planned statues, it is surmounted only by an equestrian statue of Louis XIII trampling two prisoners.The towers take up the aesthetics of the face they extend while being a little advanced and with an extra floor.
The large living room at the top of the staircase of honor has been particularly well cared for with its balcony overlooking the square and a chosen decoration. An organ in the eastern part and a series of paintings on its interior wall. Many sculptures are placed between the paintings but also at the western end of the room and above the windows. The door to the salon d’honneur was designed by Carlo Sarrabezolles and made by the ironworker Marcel Decrion. In the Salon d’Honneur (or Hall of Ceremonies) are the Great Organs. This is a unique monument, it is the Organ of the Republic, the only one that was built for a town hall in France.
Reims has four buildings on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1991. Notre-Dame Cathedral, whose towers, was built in the 13th century and was the site of the coronation of most of the kings of France; Palais du Tau, former palace of the Archbishop of Reims, rebuilt under Louis XIV, and after the fire of September 19, 1914; Saint-Remi Basilica, built from 1007 and which celebrated its millennium in 2007; Adjacent to the basilica above, the former royal abbey of Saint-Remi where the Holy Ampulla of the coronation of the kings of France was kept. Nowadays, the old abbey houses an interesting museum on the history of Reims from the Gallo-Roman period to the present day, passing through the Middle Ages and the 19th century.
Four religious buildings linked to Catholicism are emblematic of the city of Reims: Notre-Dame Cathedral located on Place du Parvis, Saint-Remi Basilica located on Place du Chanoine-Ladame, Sainte-Clotilde Basilica located on Place Sainte-Clotilde. and the Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix Chapel (known as the Foujita Chapel) located on rue du Champ-de-Mars.
Many other religious buildings are spread throughout the different districts of Reims and in particular in the center of the city: Saint-André Church (1865), which has a stained glass window from the 16th century, rue du Cardinal-Gousset; the Former Archiepiscopal Chapel, Palais du Tau, Place du Cardinal-Luçon, the Chapel of the former Jesuit College, Place Saint-Maurice, the Chapel of the Sisters of the Child Jesus located on Rue des Orphelins, the Chapel of Saint -Jean-Baptiste-de-La Salle located rue Contrai, the Saint-Joseph Chapel located rue de Venise, the Saint-Louis Chapel located rue de l’Université,
the Old Saint-Marcoul Chapel located rue Brulée, the Old Chapel Saint-Sixte located rue du Lieutenant-Herduin, the Sainte-Croix Chapel located in the North Cemetery rue du Champ-de-Mars, the Chapel of the Saint-Ignace community, rue Équerre, the Chapel of the Jean-XXIII high school, rue Andrieux, the Chapel of the Boisseau Foundation, rue Courlancy, the Former Chapel of the Verb-Incarné-et-Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel, rue du Barbâtre, the Former Chapel of the Abbé-de-Saint- Remi, rue du Grand-Cerf, the former chapel of the convent of the Sisters of Help, rue Buirette, the former church of Saint-Michel, remains of the gate, 19 place du Chapitre.
These religious buildings are supplemented by the ruins of partially destroyed churches: the ruins of the Jacobins church, rue des Jacobins, the ruins of the Cordeliers chapel, rue des Trois-Raisinets and the ruins of the old church of Saint- Julien, rue Saint-Julien.
In the western sector: the Sainte-Geneviève Church, rue Cazin, the Saint-Jean-Marie-Vianney Church in the “Wilson district”, an interesting building from the 1960s despite the vicissitudes, place Mozart, the chapel of the home for young workers l Stopover, rue Louvois, the Chapel of the Sacré-Cœur high school, rue de Courlancy, the Chapel of the western cemetery, rue de Bezannes.
In the eastern Reims sector: the Saint-Nicaise Church (1923), avenue de la Marne, the Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church (Europe district), a successful example of contemporary architecture in reinforced concrete, rue de Brazzaville, the Church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste-de-la-Salle (1898), avenue Jean-Jaurès, the Church of Sainte-Thérèse, place Sainte-Thérèse, the Church of Sainte-Jeanne d’Arc (1922), rue de Verdun. Saint-Laurent chapel, rue des Essillards, the Maison Saint-Martin chapel, rue Bétheny.
In the northern Reims sector: Saint-Thomas Church (1847-1853). Cardinal Thomas Gousset rests within its walls, place Saint-Thomas, the Saint-Benoît Church (Laon-Zola district), around 1910, rue de Pontgivart, the Votive Church of the Sacred Heart (Clairmarais district), another example of concrete architecture, rue Ernest-Renan, Saint-Joseph Church, boulevard Albert-Ier, Saint-Paul d’Orgeval Church, rue du Docteur-Albert-Schweitzer, Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Neuvillette, rue Jules-Corpelet. Church of Notre-Dame-de-France, rue Edmé-Moreau].
In the southern Reims sector: Saint-Pierre Church, avenue Georges-Hodin, Saint-François-d’Assise Church, place René-Clair. Saint-Bruno church (Red Cross district), avenue de Général-Bonaparte, Saint-Louis church, rue du Chanoine-René-Camus. The Old Church of Saint-Michel, destroyed, whose surviving door has been a Historic Monument since 1920.
The city of Reims has a large number of listed historical monuments and an active policy of showcasing its tangible and intangible heritage. As a result, it was awarded the label of City of Art and History. The Protestant Church of Reims, built in 1921–1923 over designs by Charles Letrosne, is an example of flamboyant neo-Gothic architecture. The Hôtel de Ville, erected in the 17th century and enlarged in the 19th, features a pediment with an equestrian statue of Louis XIII (reigned 1610 to 1643).Narcisse Brunette was the architect of the city for nearly 50 years in the 19th century. He designed the Reims Manège and Circus, which “combines stone and brick in a fairly sober classical composition.” Examples of Art Deco in Reims include the Carnegie library. The Foujita Chapel, built in 1965–1966 over designs and with frescos by Japanese–French artist Tsuguharu Foujita, has been listed as a monument historique since 1992.
Hôtel de Brimont: superb private mansion built by the architect Paul Blondel in 1897 for Viscount André Ruinart de Brimont, vice-president of the Ruinart champagne house. It is located at No. 34 Lundy Boulevard.
Hôtel Godbert: this very beautiful private mansion located at no. 2 boulevard Lundy was built in 1875 on behalf of the fabric manufacturer Rose-Croix Godbert and his wife Louise Deverly. We also find the monogram “GD” (for Godbert-Deverly) engraved on the lintel of a window on the first floor.
Hôtel Werlé, known as Roederer: this private mansion in the Louis XVI style was built by the architect Alphonse Gosset around 1867, on the order of Count Alfred Werlé de Montebello. It is located at No. 23 Lundy Boulevard.
Hôtel Mignot: the Hôtel Mignot located at 17 boulevard Lundy was built in 1911 by the architect F.-A. Bocage for the owner of the Comptoirs Français (chain stores) Édouard Mignot (1867-1949). A plaque is affixed to the facade, it is engraved: “Dwight D. Eisenhower Generalissimo of the Allied Armies resided in this house from February 20, 1945 to May 25, 1945. The City of Reims has its illustrious honorary citizen. May 8, 1955”.
Hôtel Lüling: very beautiful private mansion located at 14 boulevard Lundy and built in 1863 for the champagne wine merchant Auguste Lüling, partner of the Maison Heidsieck & Cie.
Hôtel Pigeon: Hôtel Pigeon was built in 1913 by architect Émile Dufay-Lamy for the administrator of the Docks Rémois (multiple branch stores) Paul Pigeon (1862-1920). It is located at 24 Lundy Boulevard.
Hôtel Gabreau: this very beautiful private mansion located at 26 boulevard Lundy was built in 1888 by the architect Édouard Lamy for the manufacturer Georges Gabreau and his wife Marie Juliette Poincenet.
Hôtel François: the François mansion was built by the architect Émile Dufay-Lamy from 1908 to 1914, at the request of the administrator of the Docks Rémois (chain of chain stores) Albert François (1860-1930). It is located at 66-68 Lundy Boulevard.
The private mansions of the Moissons district
Boulevard de la Paix, rue Piper and rue des Moissons in Reims have an interesting collection of mansions. Among the most remarkable, we can mention: the Hotel Collet-Delarsille at No. 1 Boulevard de la Paix, the Villa Douce located at No. 9 Boulevard de la Paix, the magnificent Wenz Hotel at 10 rue Piper, the Hotel Trapp at 16 rue des Moissons and the Weiland hotel at 19 rue des Moissons.
Reims has a rich historical and cultural heritage, which are displayed in different museums.
The Musée Saint-Remi, formerly the Abbey of Saint-Remi, contains tapestries from the 16th century donated by the archbishop Robert de Lenoncourt (uncle of the cardinal of the same name), marble capitals from the fourth century AD, furniture, jewellery, pottery, weapons and glasswork from the sixth to eighth centuries, medieval sculpture, the façade of the 13th-century musicians’ House, remnants from an earlier abbey building, and also exhibits of Gallo-Roman arts and crafts and a room of pottery, jewellery and weapons from Gallic civilization, as well as an exhibit of items from the Palaeolithic to the Neolithic periods. Another section of the museum features a permanent military exhibition.
Also listed as a World Heritage Site, the Palais du Tau, adjoining the cathedral, retraces the history of the monument and its district. There is the most important national lapidary collection, the royal treasure of the cathedral as well as many objects used on the occasion of the coronation of King Charles X. The Palace of Tau contains such exhibits as statues formerly displayed by the cathedral, treasures of the cathedral from past centuries, and royal attire from coronations of French kings.
Perhaps the oldest is the Chanzy Street Museum of Fine Arts which was founded in 1794 from revolutionary seizures. Moved to the buildings of the former Saint-Denis abbey in 1908, it retains various works illustrating the main artistic movements from the 15th century to the 20th century and is currently closed (rehabilitation work and extension in progress).
The Automobile Museum Reims-Champagne, established in 1985 by Philippe Charbonneaux, is the fifth automobile museum in France by the size of its automobile collection, which covers from 1903 to the present day. The museum has 5 collections: automobiles, motorcycles and two-wheelers, pedal cars, toy miniatures, and enamel plaques. Since 1998, the automobile museum has been managed by an association.
The Museum of Fine Arts is housed in the former Abbey of Saint-Denis. The former Collège des Jésuites has also become a museum. Still in the field of art, the city hosts the FRAC Champagne-Ardenne in the right wing of the former Jesuit college. It has a collection of over 600 works of contemporary art in painting, photography, sculpture, drawing, video and sound.
Le Vergeur museum-hotel is the museum of Old Reims. Located on the Place du Forum, works dating from Antiquity to the 20th century are exhibited there, including fifty engravings by Albert Dürer, furniture and Asian works from the 19th century collected by Hugues Krafft, the hotel’s former owner.
The Museum of the Surrender is the building in which General Eisenhower and the Allies received the unconditional surrender of the German Wehrmacht, the Surrender where the capitulation of Nazi Germany was signed on Monday May 7, 1945 at 2:41 a.m.
The Saint-Remi museum, located in Rue Simon (Reims) within the former Benedictine abbey, is dedicated to the history and archeology of Reims. Just like the Saint-Remi abbey, it is classified as a world heritage site.
In the field of astronomy, Reims hosts a planetarium which receives more than 27,000 visitors each year. Near Reims is the Fort de la Pompelle museum; this Mecca of the First World War is located 5 km from the city. The museum of air base 112 and local aeronautics in Bétheny presents a century of aviation in Reims and its surroundings.
Reims has 82 parks and 14 playgrounds which total nearly 220 ha. The city also has three remarkable gardens classified in the Mérimée database: the Pierre-Schneiter horticultural garden (boulevard Louis-Roederer), the garden of the Saint-Nicaise hillocks (boulevard Diancourt), the Champagne park (formerly Pommery park) (avenue du Général-Giraud) and the Patte-d’Oie park. Five walking trails including one dedicated to the trees of the city.
The main green spaces are: the walks, which go from the highway to the North cemetery bordering the Patte-d’Oie garden, the Pierre-Schneiter horticultural garden, the station and the Drouet-d’Erlon square, and being on the former hold of the fortified enclosure; the Léo-Lagrange park, with pond and playgrounds for children, which is along the motorway and is bordered by the football stadium and the René-Tys complex; the Mendès-France park located in Val de Murigny, with its pond and children’s play area; the former Pommery park which houses numerous temporary exhibitions, a monument, a playground, a racetrack, a kind of theater (stage with earth mound to accommodate spectators); the Cure d’Air park with a monument in memory of the Battle of Reims.
Champagne is an emblematic product of the Champagne region. Reims is one of the centers of the champagne economy with Épernay. Even if the city has few vines, about 50 ha, it is the seat of many Champagne houses which have vines outside the city, in particular on the Montagne de Reims. The Champagne houses present in Reims export at least 80 million bottles each year. Among the “great Champagne houses”, we find in Reims: Boizel-Chanoine-Lanson-Bruno Paillard, Charles de Cazanove, G.H. Martel and C°, G.H. Mumm, Henriot, Krug, Louis Roederer, Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, Ruinart, Taittinger-Irroy, Veuve Clicquot and Vranken-Pommery. Reims is also home to the Union des Maisons de Champagne, the oldest wine-growing institution in the Champagne region. Under the city, there are 250 km of champagne cellars. Similarly, still wines are produced under the Coteaux Champenois appellation in the Reims region. They are found in the three colors red, white and pink.
The pink biscuit is, along with champagne, one of the gastronomic emblems of Reims. Its creation dates back to 1691 when a Reims baker had the idea of baking his dough twice. It is flavored with vanilla; its pink color comes from the carmine used to mask the vanilla pods. Tradition dictates that it be dipped in a glass of champagne. It is made by Maison Fossier, of which it represents 50% of production, as well as by certain bakers and pastry chefs from Champagne. As Reims is the fruit of a long pastry tradition, the specialties of Reims include: croquignoles, prepared in Reims since the Middle Ages, marzipan, Rem (LU) or Déjeuner de Reims (Fossier), Charles VII, the Reims galette and the Reims savory.
Among the pastries, there is also gingerbread. Its production in Reims dates back at least to the 16th century. At the time, Reims gingerbread had their own guild, distinct from that of bakers and pastry cooks. In the 1783 Methodical Encyclopedia, Reims gingerbread was considered “the most esteemed”. It then consists of rye flour, honey, a little cinnamon and pepper. Despite competition from Dijon from the 19th century, its production and consumption remained significant until the middle of the 20th century. After the Second World War, the manufacture of gingerbread in Reims nevertheless gradually decreased until it disappeared. However, in 2008, Maison Fossier relaunched production of Reims gingerbread and nonnette.
In France, mustard is not only made in Dijon. It is produced in Reims from Reims vinegar and spices. In the 19th century, Reims mustard was “highly esteemed by connoisseurs”. Today, however, only Charbonneaux-Brabant still produces Reims mustard, under the Clovis brand. It is also the only vinegar company in Reims still in operation. Reims vinegar has the particularity of being made from disgorged marc after a second fermentation. It is therefore produced from Champagne wine. It is characterized by an amber color. For several years, he has regained a “certain prestige” among cooks. As for charcuterie, the local specialty is Reims ham. Joseph Favre considers it one of the best hams in France with that of Bayonne. It is a boneless pork shoulder, cooked in broth, then marbled and breaded. These pieces are then assembled in a parsley jelly.
Restaurants and bars are concentrated around Place Drouet d’Erlon in the city centre. The Place d’Erlon is the near beating heart of the city, there are many great places to eat here from cheap burger bars to Anglo-Irish bars.For better ethnic food look down the road at the side of the Opera cinema for a selection of good, cheaper, French and Ethnic restaurants. Another option is to buy a baguette at one of the many patisseries like Petit Four and sit by one of the fountains.
In Place de Stalingrad, the Kilberry and Stalingrad. The Kilberry, an Irish pub, is where all the French drink. It’s a lot cheaper than in the centre. It also has lots of free music and good promotions. For the quieter drink, try the Stalingrad on the corner. It’s a traditional French Tabac, has limited food at lunchtime.In Place d’Erlon, the main street in town is home to some excellent establishments. Cochon A Plumes and the Gin Pamp are two of the few places that have happy hours. Gin Pamp less expensive sometimes offers live music. The Cochon A Plumes, however, offers an excellent atmosphere. Other options include the microbrewery Les 3 Brasseurs, L’Apostrophe, The Shirlock Pub, the James Joyce, and The Gluepot.
Discover the places that gave birth to the Champagne legend and enjoy truly out-of-the-ordinary experiences and get to know Champagne in unexpected ways. The Champagne wine trails are a great way to get to know Reims region. A trail combining history, nature and out-of-the-ordinary experiences, which takes you through Reims and its surroundings and down to Épernay in the south. From Reims and its emblematic cathedral, which hosted the coronations of France’s Kings for several centuries, to the National Forest of Verzy, set off on a trail that will help you learn more about the Champagne region and its iconic wines.
Abelé is a Champagne producer based in the Reims region of Champagne. The house was founded in 1757 by Téodore Vander-Veken as the third Champagne house in history.
Champagne Binet is an independent Champagne house. The house produces Brut, Blanc de Blancs, and Rosé de saignée Champagne.
Bruno Paillard is a Champagne producer based in Reims in the Champagne region. The first own vineyards were bought in 1994, and the house’s own 26 hectares (64 acres) supply around one-third of the grapes need for the annual production of around 500,000 bottles.
Champagne Chanoine Frères is a Champagne producer based in the Reims region of Champagne. The house, founded in 1730, produces both vintage and non-vintage cuvee as well as an extra dry series of wines known as Tsarine and Tsarina.
Charles Heidsieck is the smallest of the Grandes Marques champagne Houses. Based in the Reims region of Champagne, it is one of the best-known producers for both vintage and non-vintage cuvée.
Charles de Cazanove is a Champagne producer based in Reims in the region of Champagne. The house was founded in Avize in 1811 by Charles Gabriel de Cazanove, and was further developed by his botanist son Charles Nicolas de Cazanove who was a leader in the efforts to fight phylloxera.
Henriot is a Champagne producer based in the Reims region of Champagne.The house, founded in Reims 1808 (215 years ago), produces both vintage and non-vintage cuvée. Henriot’s cellar master Laurent Fresnet, who was named “Sparkling Winemaker of the Year” by International Wine Challenge in 2015 and 2016.
Krug Champagne is a Champagne house founded by Joseph Krug in 1843and is one of the famous Champagne houses that formed part of the Grandes marques.
Champagne Lanson is a Champagne producer that is based in Reims in the Champagne region. Since 2006, it has been owned by the Lanson-BCC group that is headed by Bruno Paillard (who also owns the Bruno Paillard champagne house).
G. H. Mumm & Cie is a Champagne house founded in 1827. G.H. Mumm is one of the largest Champagne houses and is currently ranked 4th globally based on number of bottles sold. G.H. Mumm was the official sponsor of F1 racing from 2000 until 2015 and provided the champagne bottles for the podium celebrations after each race.
Piper-Heidsieck is a Champagne house founded by Florens-Louis Heidsieck on 16 July 1785 in Reims, France. Marilyn Monroe was one of the Champagne house’s earliest supporters, rumoured to have kept a month’s supply of champagne in her kitchen.
Champagne Pommery is a Champagne house located in Reims. The firm was dedicated to Champagne production and soon became one of the region’s largest Champagne brands. It is possible to visit this Champagne cellar and also the Villa Demoiselle, just in front of Champagne Pommery House in Reims.
Louis Roederer, founded in 1776, the business was inherited and renamed by Louis Roederer in 1833. It remains as one of the few independent and family-run maisons de champagne.
Ruinart is the oldest established Champagne house, exclusively producing champagne since 1729. It is currently owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA.
Taittinger is a French wine family who are famous producers of Champagne. The estate is currently headed by Vitalie Taittinger, who is the daughter of Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger. Its diversified holdings included Champagne Taittinger, Société du Louvre and Concorde Hotels.
Champagne Thiénot is a Champagne house founded in 1985. It is part of the Alain Thiénot Group, owner of different brands such as Canard-Duchêne, Joseph Perrier and Marie Stuart.
Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin is a Champagne house founded in 1772 and based in Reims. It is one of the largest Champagne houses. Madame Clicquot is credited with major breakthroughs, creating the first known vintage champagne in 1810, and inventing the riddling table process to clarify champagne in 1816.In 1818, she invented the first known blended rosé champagne by blending still red and white wines, a process still used by the majority of champagne producers. During the Napoleonic Wars, Madame Clicquot made strides in establishing her wine in royal courts throughout Europe, notably that of Imperial Russia. She played an important role in establishing Champagne as a favored drink of high society and nobility throughout Europe. The house has borne its distinctive gold-yellow label since the late 19th century. The company was now part of the LVMH group and continues to expand worldwide.