Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kinki Region, Japan

Ukyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. Located in the northwestern part of Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. “Ukyo” means the right side of the emperor’s whereabouts, that is, the Imperial Palace. The emperor was sitting on the high thrones facing south, so the right is west. Therefore, it is called Ukyo even though it is on the left on the modern map with the north facing up. Established in 1931 when 9 villages including Saga Town, Umezu Village and Kyogoku Village were incorporated into Kyoto City. Located in the northwestern part of the city, it is the largest area in Kyoto City after the merger of Keihoku Town (Sakyo Ward was the largest until then).

In the old days, the southern part of the ward was dotted with villas of the royal family and public houses of the capital, but now it is mainly a residential area. The western and northern parts of the ward are mountainous areas. In the past, timber from Yamakokugo (Kitayamakuni, Kuroda district) went down the Katsura River, was landed at Saga and Umezu downstream, and was transported to the center of Kyoto.

The entire area of ​​Keihoku in the northern part of the ward corresponds to the Tanba Plateau. The main basins are Zhoushan and Utsu, where the town hall of the former Keihoku Town was located, but the others are mountainous areas, and the Katsura River flows to connect these basins. The southern part of the ward is almost flat along the Katsura River except for the mountainous areas in the north. Before the transfer, Keihoku was connected to Ukyo Ward by Shuzan Kaido (National Route 162) and Katsura River.

The area where the current Ukyo Ward is located has a long history, and it is said that the Yamashiro Kokufu was once located here. It is believed that Mr. Hata, a migrant, was also active in this region, and he built Koryuji Temple as a temple. When Emperor Kanmu, who has a close relationship with Mr. Hata, established Heiankyo, many temples and shrines lined up in the current Ukyo area because the construction of temples was prohibited in Kyoto. Many aristocrats became familiar with this area and played in Arashiyama, such as when Emperor Saga built the Saga Rikyu (later Daikakuji Temple).

Since the Warring States period, Katsura River water transportation has become popular, and wealthy merchants have grown around Saga, but among them, Arashiyama’s wealthy merchant Suminokura Ryoi was linked to the Tokugawa Shogunate and excavated the Hozu River (Katsura River) and other rivers. Perhaps because of this, the Kakukura family has developed greatly and has expanded into Southeast Asia. Even after the isolation, he was entrusted with the management of the Katsura River water transport, and the Kakukura government office was set up at an important port on the Katsura River downstream from the current Seiki in Nantan City. For the water transportation of the Katsura River, Arashiyama and Umezu were used as unloading sites, and the Tenjin River was used as a waterway to carry goods from north of Tamba throughout Kyoto.

In the history of the Keihoku district of Ukyo Ward, Yamakokugo, which donated timber during the construction of Heiankyo, appears first in history. Based on this, it had a connection with the imperial court, and during the Nanbokucho period, Emperor Kogon opened a temple, Joshokoji, in Yamakokugo and was buried there. During the Warring States period, Mr. Utsu, a landlord, assigned to the area, but it was destroyed by the attack of Akechi Mitsuhide. It is said that Zhoushan Castle was built here.

During the Edo period, the Sonobe and Sasayama domains ruled, but Yamakokugo was banned.

During the Meiji Restoration, the mountain corps known for the Jidai Matsuri procession was organized by local farmers and participated in the government army.

April 1, 1931 –Saga-cho, Kadono-gun, Tahata-mura, Hanazono-mura, Saiin-mura, Umezu-mura, Kyogoku-mura, Umegahata-mura, Matsuo-mura, Katsura-mura, Kawaoka-mura were incorporated into Kyoto City, and Ukyo-ku was born.
December 1, 1950-Incorporated Oeda Village, Otokuni District.
November 1, 1959-Incorporated Oharanomura, Otokuni-gun.
October 1, 1976-Ukyo Ward to Nishikyo Ward is a branch (Matsuo, Katsura, Kawaoka, Oeyama, Oharano district to Nishikyo Ward).
April 1, 2005-Incorporated Keihoku-cho, Kitakuwada-gun.

Main area

Flower garden
Hanazono is a place name in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City. The origin of the place name is Houkongou-in. Houkongou-in is a temple built after the death of the mountain cottage built by the Minister of the Right, Kiyohara no Natsuno, during the Heian period. It is said that Natsuno planted a rare flower in the vicinity of the mountain cottage, so it became known as a flower garden. In addition, Emperor Toba’s Chugū and Taikenmon-in built a garden in Houkongou-in to recreate the paradise, and it was extremely prosperous. Houkongou-in is still known as the “Lotus Temple”.

Minoin is a place name in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is composed of two large characters, Sagakoshihata and Sagakoshihata. Known for its beautiful rice terraces and thatched-roof houses, Koshihata is sometimes compared to “Shinshu in Kyoto.” In the former school district of Kyoto City, it corresponds to the entire area of ​​”Minoin”. The population in the Basic Resident Register is 229 as of July 2013, and the area is 8.082 km2.

It is located at the western foot of Mt. Atago and is surrounded by forests, so it is characterized by a climate with a large difference in temperature during the day. There is a lot of snowfall in winter, and it becomes a silver world including paddy fields. Beautiful terraced rice fields spread out in each of Koshihata and Sagashikimigahara, and the number of rice terraces is about 800 in Koshihata alone. Although it has not been selected as one of the “100 Best Rice Terraces in Japan”, it has been selected as one of the “100 Best Rice Terraces in Japan” as “Koshihata / Sagashikimigahara”. You can see the rice terraces from the top of the facing hill called Mantoyama, and you can see the difference between the rice terraces of Koshihata, which looks like a rectangle, and the rice terraces of Kashihara, which looks like a triangle. The rice terraces of Kashihara are called “armor fields” because of their shape, and the forest of the shrine of Shisho Shrine is called “helmet forest” because of its shape.

Yasaka Shrine is the deity of the Koshihata village, and was built in the Kamakura period with Susano Onomikoto as the deity. There are four shrines as the deities of the Kashihara village, and it was built in 1552 at the end of the Warring States period by soliciting the Okumiya of Atago Shrine. In Koshihata, there is Amida Temple, which opened in the middle of the Heian period, and many residents gather in the Jizo bon. Hannyaji, a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City, is located in Kashihara, where the eleven-faced Kannon statue and the wooden Yakushi Nyorai sitting statue made during the Heian period are enshrined. There is also Inari Taisha Shrine in Kashihara, where the three Inari Daimyojin of Shirayuki, Suehiro, and Shochiku are enshrined. Atago Shrine’s number one torii is located in the southernmost part of Kashihara, and the red torii is a landmark for the Atago mountain trail.

In Koshihata, there is a Kawahara family house built in the early Edo period, and it is said that the ginkgo trees in the garden are over 200 years old as of 2000 (Heisei 12). Beginning with the change of surname to Kawahara by the descendants of Fujiwara no Kamatari, the 16th generation Gennomitsu Kawahara moved to this area. The main building was built in 1657 (Meireki 3) and the nagayamon was built in 1696 (Genroku 9), making it the oldest private house in Kyoto City with a fixed construction date. It became a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City in 1989 (Heisei 1) as a building that conveys the lives of upper-class farmers to the present day.

About 4 km north of Hozu Gorge, which is famous for trolley trains and going down the Hozu River. The Mizuo area is located at the foot of Mt. Atago. Blessed with abundant nature, it continues to preserve tradition while still retaining the remnants of the past.

Mizuo used to be a key point connecting Yamashiro and Tanba, and was opened early. It was well known to the Omiya people as a clean and ghostly boundary in the west, as opposed to Yase and Ohara in the east.

It is also known as the land associated with the “56th Emperor Seiwa” (850-880), who loved the land of Mizuo and was later called the “Emperor Mizuo”. Emperor Seiwa, whose father is Emperor Montoku, is said to be the ancestor of Seiwa Genji, and when he visited temples such as Yamashiro, Yamato, and Settsu for training after his priesthood, he returned to Mizuoyama Temple and saw the scenery of this area. It is said that he liked this and decided this Mizuo as the place of the end.

Mizuo is rich in fruits and is especially known as “Yuzu no Sato”. Around December, Yuzu is harvested in boxes at the eaves of each house. A lot of processed products made by local people at a nearby processing plant, such as fragrant yuzu tea, boiled yuzu, and yuzu miso, are lined up at the storefront.

Uzumasa is a place name in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City. The residential area between Umezu, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto and Kita-ku, Kyoto is the current area of ​​Tahata. Shrines such as Konoshima Zatensho Gotama Shrine, Koryuji Temple, which is the oldest temple in Kyoto, and keyhole-shaped tumuli such as Hebizuka Kofun are well known.

Koryuji Temple is the temple of Hata, and is the oldest temple in Kyoto where the wooden Maitreya Bodhisattva half-jia statue (Treasure Crown Maitreya), a national treasure, is enshrined. According to the November article of the 11th year of Suiko (603) in “Nihon Shoki”, Hata no Kawakatsu received a Buddhist statue from Prince Shotoku and built Hachiokaji Temple (now Koryuji Temple). Hata no Kawakatsu is said to have been active in serving Prince Shotoku, such as “Prince Shotoku Denki” and “Prince Shotoku Denki”.

Ryoanji Temple
Ryoanji is an out-of-bounds temple of the Rinzai sect Myoshinji school in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. It has a deep relationship with Myoshinji Temple. The mountain number is called Ounyama and is known for its stone garden. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai, Kaisan (founder) is Katsumoto Hosokawa, and Kaisan (first chief priest) is Yoshiten Gensho. It is registered as a World Heritage Site as “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”.

Ryoanji Temple, which is famous for its dry landscape garden known as the “stone garden,” was founded in 1450 by Katsumoto Hosokawa, the guardian daimyo of the Muromachi Shogunate and the general general of the Onin War. It is a Zen temple. Ryoanji Temple, located at the foot of Mt. Kinugasa, was the precinct of Enyuji Temple, which was built in the first year of Eikan (984) and is the wish temple of Emperor Enyu.

Enryuji Temple gradually declined, and at the end of the Heian period, Tokudaiji Temple, which follows the tradition of the Fujiwara Kita family, built a mountain lodge and a temple, Tokudaiji Temple. Katsumoto Hosokawa took over this mountain cottage and Tokudaiji Temple to make it a Zen temple, and as the first chief priest, he welcomed the priest of Myoshinji VIII (5th ancestor), Yoshiten Gensho. Yoshiten Gensho solicited his teacher, Sosetsu Himine, to open the mountain, and he himself became the founder of the mountain. It is said that the temple ground at the time of its construction was much larger than it is now, and the area around the Keifuku Electric Railroad track was the precincts.

Omuro is a place name located in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The name of Ninna-ji Temple, which was founded by Emperor Uda (the throne at this time) and is also the head temple of the Shingon sect Omuro school and a monzeki temple. In addition, it is a place name that refers to the entire Ninnaji area.

The history of the name of Omuro is that in the 4th year of Engi (904) of Emperor Daigo, Emperor Uda built “Omuro” at Ninna-ji Temple and made it a place to live, so the building is called “Omuro Gosho”. Eventually, it is said to have become another name for Ninna-ji Temple. It was also used as the title of the monzeki, the priest of Ninna-ji Temple. That was the name of the place in the Ninna-ji area.

However, Omuro was established as another name for Ninna-ji during the Inseikibunka period, and in the 10th to 11th centuries, priests with noble origins (noble species) such as the emperor’s relatives were called “Omuro” in other influential temples. Was there. For example, at Todaiji Temple, where Kancho, who was the grandson of Pope Uta and a direct disciple, was greeted as a special disciple, Kancho was hailed as “Omuro”, and then the two princes of Emperor Kazan (Kakugen, Kakugen) ) Is also honored, and Yukei, who was the successor to Kakugen and the predecessor of Kakugen, is also called as the successor to Kancho and Fukan, especially as the successor to Kancho Daisou. An example is known.

In addition, there is a detached palace of Emperor Hanazono in this area, and later the detached palace was changed to a Zen temple with Kanzan Egen and became Myoshinji Temple. Hanazono Junior and Senior High School and Hanazono University have been established in this area as the sect school of Myoshinji Temple. Futagaoka with an old burial mound rises in the west.

Narutaki is a place name in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City. The origin of the place name comes from the fact that there is a small waterfall in this area, and at one point, the small waterfall made a great roaring noise. When the villagers wondered and consulted with Osho at the temple, Osho also felt suspicious and gathered all of them at the temple on the hill. Then, that night, the village was struck by a great flood and completely destroyed. Due to this event, Kotaki was called “Narutaki” and the villagers were also called “Narutaki no Sato”. Every year, on December 9th and 10th, Narutakihonmachi is crowded with daikon-fired temples (Hoonko) at Ryotokuji Temple, commonly known as daikon-fired temple.

In front of Hozoji Temple in Narutakiizumi Tanimachi, there is a pottery kiln trace of Ogata Kenzan. In 1689 (Genroku 2), Inuiyama set up a quiet residence in Omuro and called it Nakusei-do. After that, he studied pottery from Ninsei Nonomura and opened a kiln in Narusawa Village in 1699 (12th year of the same year). Also, because this kiln is in the direction of Inui in the city, it is said to have been called Inuiyama. Narutaki in Nagasaki, famous for Siebold, was named after the 24th Nagasaki magistrate, Katsutoshi Ushigome, in this area.

Arashiyama is a tourist destination in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is designated as a national historic site and scenic spot. Originally, the place name refers to Nishikyo Ward (the right bank of the Katsura River), and the left bank is Saga, Ukyo Ward, but in tourist information, etc., the entire area around Togetsukyo, including the Saga area, is collectively referred to as Arashiyama. Since there are many, here we will deal with Arashiyama as the entire area around Togetsukyo.

Arashiyama is a famous place for cherry blossoms and autumn leaves. It has been selected as one of Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots and Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots. Located in the west of the city of Kyoto, it has been a representative tourist destination of Kyoto since it became a villa for aristocrats during the Heian period. The Togetsukyo Bridge over the Katsura River, which runs through the center of Arashiyama, is a symbol of Arashiyama. The name changes to Oigawa on the upstream side and Katsura River on the downstream side across the Togetsukyo Bridge. On the north side of the JR San-in Line, there is a tourist spot called Sagano.

Originally, the main tourist attraction was the scenery of temples and shrines and autumn leaves. In the 1980s, the number of talent shops increased rapidly, mainly on the north side of Togetsukyo Bridge, and while it was crowded with young tourists such as school excursion students, there were criticisms that the atmosphere would be destroyed. After the burst of the bubble economy, these talent shops have decreased, and now they are almost nonexistent. Since the 1990s, small museums have been opened one after another, and a hot spring was excavated in 2004 (Arashiyama Onsen).

Sagano is a place name in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is the name of a wide area surrounded by the west of Tahata and Utano, the north of the Katsura River, the east of Mt. Ogura, and the south of the foot of Mt. Atago, and is sometimes simply called “Saga”. However, “Saga (field)” as a tourist destination refers to the area where shrines and temples line up along Arashiyama and Ogurayama (generally west of Kurumazaki Shrine). Since it is located in the western suburbs of Heiankyo, it is also known as the western suburbs and public houses. There is a theory that the place name is derived from the terrain such as slope or steepness, and that it is because “Satsugatsu-san” in the suburbs of Xi’an, China was also written as “Sagayama”. is there.

Saga Toriimoto
Saga Toriimoto is the name of the district in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. In ancient times, it was called “Adashino” and was the place of burial for the people of Kyoto. The current townscape was developed as the Torii-mae town of Atago Shrine, and the two landscapes coexist with the lower district where tile-roofed townhouse-style private houses are lined up and the upper district where there are many thatched-roof farmhouses.

Atago is a mountain on the border between Yamashiro and Tanba provinces in the northwestern part of Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Among the mountains surrounding the city of Kyoto, it stands out alongside Mt. Hiei and is also known as the mountain of worship. The summit is located in Kyoto City, but there is a city border about 1.5km west, and the mountain body straddles Kameoka City. Altitude 924m. The third triangulation station “Atago” (890.06m) is located about 400m north of the summit. It rises northwest of the Kyoto basin and has been a mountain of worship since ancient times along with Mt. Hiei in the northeastern part of the Kyoto basin. Temples and shrines such as Jingoji are located on Mt. Kaohsiung in the Atago mountain range. Atago Shrine is located on the summit of the mountain, and has been worshiped by the residents of Kyoto as a god of fire since ancient times, and has spread throughout the country (see Atago Gongen). There is also Atago Shrine called “Former Atago” at the trailhead on the Kameoka City side.

It is also known that Akechi Mitsuhide visited Atago Shrine just before the Honnoji Incident and wrote Atago Hyakuin. The mountain trail from Kameoka City to Mt. Atago is called “Akechi Crossing” because Mitsuhide passed through it. In the early Showa era, the Atagoyama Railway laid a railway from Arashiyama Station to the foot and a cable car to the top of the mountain as a foot to visit Atago Shrine, and at the same time, the Atagoyama Amusement Park, which also has a hotel and an amusement park, was opened for tourists. It was crowded.

However, due to the effects of the Great Depression and the war, the number of passengers dropped, and at the end of World War II, the cable car was discontinued as an unnecessary non-express line, and amusement parks and hotels were closed. These were never resumed after the war. This is in contrast to Mt. Hiei and Mt. Rokko, which have developed as a mountain with a driveway and are close to the city, with an increase in tourists after the war. If the weather is nice, you can see the massif from the skyscrapers in Osaka city.

Kaohsiung is a place name in Umegahata, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. To be exact, Umegahata Takao Town, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City. Also referred to as Takao, it is named alongside Makio along with neighboring Makio and Makio. It was often adopted as the name of a warship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, and was also the origin of the place name of Kaohsiung City in Taiwan.

Kosanji Temple
A place name that refers to the area around Kosanji Temple on Mt. When we simply say “Kousanji”, it is often this place name. Also written as Toganoo. It is a sacred place from ancient times and the birthplace of tea cultivation in Kinai. One of the “Mio, a famous place for autumn leaves” (Kaohsiung, Makio, Makio).

Keihoku Town
Keihoku Town was a town that existed in Kitakuwada District, Kyoto Prefecture until March 31, 2005. It is a part of the current Ukyo Ward in Kyoto City, and corresponds to the area with the name of the town, Keihoku. Producing area of ​​good cedar wood. Established on March 1, 1955 (Showa 30) by merging 1 town and 5 villages (Shuzan-cho, Hosono-mura, Utsu-mura, Kuroda-mura, Yamaguni-mura, Yuge-mura) in the southern part of Kitakuwada-gun. The name of the town was decided from the open call for participants. On April 1, 1957 (Showa 32), the large character Hirokawara in the town was incorporated into Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. On April 1, 2005, the entire town disappeared when it was incorporated into Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City.

Historic sites

Myoshinji Temple
Myoshinji Temple is the head temple of the Rinzai sect Myoshinji Temple in Hanazono, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Myoshinji. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai. Kaisan (founder) is Emperor Hanazono. Kaisan (first chief priest) is Kanzan Egen (Musou Daishi). The temple crest is the Hanazono crest (Myoshinji eight wisteria). Of the approximately 6,000 Rinzai sect temples in Japan, approximately 3,500 are occupied by the Myoshinji school. Many towers are lined up around the central temples such as the Sanmon, Buddhist temples, and Hatto, which were rebuilt in the early modern period, forming a large temple group. It occupies 12 towns in the northwest within the Heiankyo area and has a lot of nature, so it is known as the Imperial Palace in the west by the citizens of Kyoto. It is also called “Abacus of Myoshinji Temple”.

Zen temples in Kyoto had a group of temples under the patronage and control of the Muromachi Shogunate, represented by the Ten Temples of the Five Mountains, and a temple in the field that made a clear distinction. The former is called “Zenrin” or “Murabayashi”, and the latter is called “Rinka”. Myoshinji Temple, along with Daitokuji Temple (Ryuhozan Daitokuji Temple), is a representative temple of “Hayashishita” that features a strict Zen style that values ​​training.

Koryuji Temple
Koryuji is a Shingon sect independent temple located in Uzumasa, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is called Hachiokayama. There are other names such as Hachiokadera, Hatanokimidera, and Taihataji, and it is also called Taihata Koryuji with the place name. It is the temple of Hata, a clan of migrants, and is the oldest temple in Kyoto that existed before the transfer of capital to Heiankyo. It is known for storing the statue of Maitreya Bodhisattva, a national treasure, and is also a temple of Prince Shotoku worship. The cattle festival, which is held on October 12th every year, is known as Kyoto’s Three Great Strange Festivals, but it is held irregularly.

Koryuji Temple is located in Uzumasa, which is famous for Toei Kyoto Studio Park, but it is unknown whether it was in this area from the beginning, and it was built near the present Hirano Shrine in Kita-ku, Kyoto City in the first half of the 7th century (described later). The theory that it was relocated to the present location before and after the relocation of the capital to Heian is predominant. When it was first built, it had Maitreya Bodhisattva as its principal image, but from around the time of the relocation of Heian, it became a temple with Yakushi Nyorai as its principal image, and it became a temple centered on Prince Shotoku as well as Yakushi. The principal image of the Uenomiya Royal Palace, which is the main hall of the current Koryuji Temple, is the statue of Prince Shotoku. “Kamimiya Seitoku Hoou Theory” lists Hachiokaji (Koryuji) as one of the “Seven Great Temples Built by the Prince”.

Kijima Zatensho Gotama Shrine
Kijima Zatensho Gotama Shrine is a shrine located in Uzumasa Morigahigashi-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is a shrine (Meishin Taisha), and the old shrine is a village shrine. Also known as “Kijima Shrine (Konoshima Jinja, Kijima Shrine)” or “Silkworm Shrine (Kaikono Yashiro, Silkworm Nosha)”. It is a shrine that has been worshiped as a god of prayer rain since ancient times, and is known for having a rare three-poster torii gate in the precincts.

There is only one description of the deity in the “Enki-shiki” god name book. In the same book, it is described as “Kijimaza Tensho Gotama Shrine”, but since this company name means “Tensho Gotama Shrine enshrined in Kijima (place name)”, it is originally “Tensho Gotama”. It is said to be a shrine that enshrines “God (Amateru Mimusubi no Kami / Amateru Mitama no Kami)”. In the Shinto name book, in addition to Kijima Shrine in Yamashiro, there are shrines enshrining Amaterasu, Amaterasu, and Amaterasu in Yamato, Settsu, Tamba, Harima, and Tsushima. Although seen, these are considered to be sun gods with a different deity from Amaterasu Omikami (the ancestral god).

Hebizuka Kofun
Hebizuka Kofun is an old burial mound located in Uzumasa, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The shape is a keyhole-shaped tumulus. It is designated as a national historic site. It was a keyhole-shaped tumulus with the largest horizontal hole type stone chamber in Kyoto Prefecture, but the mound seal has been lost and only the exposed stone chamber remains.

It is an old burial mound built on the southern edge of the Sagano Plateau in the western part of the Kyoto Basin . The name “Snake mound” is said to be derived from the fact that snakes lived in the stone chamber. It is said that a part of the mound was left until around 1920 (Taisho 9), but almost all of the mound seal has been lost due to the conversion to residential land until now. A survey was conducted by the Archeology Laboratory of Kyoto Imperial University in 1936 (Showa 11).

Umenomiya Shrine
Umenomiya Taisha is a shrine located in Umezu Fukenogawa-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is one of Shikinaisha and Nijunisha (Shimohachisha), and the old shrine is a large shrine. A stand-alone shrine that does not currently belong to the Association of Shinto Shrines. The old name is “Umemiya Shrine”. The god crest is “Tachibana”. It is a shrine known as the deity of Mr. Tachibana, one of the four surnames (Genpei Fuji Tachibana), located in the land of Umezu in the western part of Kyoto City. It is said that it was originally enshrined near Ide-cho, Tsuzuki-gun in the south during the Nara period, and was later relocated to its present location by Tachibana no Kachiko (Empress Danbayashi) in the early Heian period.

Tachibana no Kachiko, who was involved in the transfer to her current location, gave birth to Emperor Ninmy (54th) as the empress of Emperor Saga (52nd) and contributed to the development of Tachibana as a consort kin. According to the folklore, Tachibana no Kachiko had no children, but she was given a prince by praying to Umemiya God, and is still worshiped as a god of childbirth and easy delivery because of that tradition. It is also worshiped as the god of sake brewing from the name of the god of worship, and many rituals related to sake are still being held. In addition, the annual festival of Umenomiya Taisha has been known for a long time as the “Umenomiya Festival”, and was especially famous as an old-fashioned festival during the Heian period. Of the current shrines, the main shrine, worship hall, tower gate, precincts shrine Wakamiya shrine, and precincts shrine Goo shrine were built during the Edo period and are registered as Kyoto Prefecture registered cultural properties.

Chofukuji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Nanzenji school located in Umezu, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Oumeyama. The principal image is Amida Nyorai. According to auspicious occasions, this temple began when the nun Mari, who was born in Umezu, the development lord of Umezu, built Dou in 1169. In the first year of Kenkyu (1190), “Shin-Mido” was erected at Umezu Kamiso, and the traditional temple came to be called “Honmido”. Initially, it belonged to the Tendai sect, but in 1339 (2nd year of the calendar), Tsukibayashi Michiwa, who was devoted to Mr. Umezu, entered the temple and was changed to a temple of the Rinzai sect. It was burnt down by the Onin War, but was revived by Sozen Yamana. In the first year of Bunroku, it was lined up in various mountains. It became the end of Nanzenji in the early modern period, and according to the Nanzenji Sueji book in the first year of Kansei (1789), Chofukuji at that time counted 8 Sueji and 11 temples.

Ninnaji Temple
Ninna-ji is the head temple of the Shingon sect Omuro school in Omuro, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Ouchiyama. The principal image is Amida Nyorai. Kaisan (founder) is Emperor Uda. It is registered as a World Heritage Site as a constituent asset of “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”. It was a temple (monzeki temple) closely related to the imperial family, and was called “Omuro Gosho” because Emperor Uda lived after his priesthood. After the Meiji Restoration, the royal family stopped working at the monzeki of Ninna-ji Temple, so it came to be called the “former Imperial House”.

Omuro is also known as a famous place for cherry blossoms, and is crowded with many worshipers during the cherry blossom season in spring and the autumn leaves. The story of “Hoshi in Ninna-ji” that appears in “Tsurezuregusa” is famous. This temple is also the head of the flower arrangement “Omuro-ryu”, which originated from Emperor Uda. Admission to the precincts is usually free, and only the visit to the Honbo Palace and Reihokan is charged. However, the “Sakura Festival” is held when the Omuro cherry blossoms bloom (April), and during that period, an admission fee is required to enter the precincts. The inn is accepting guests. In addition to the Omuro Kaikan, “Matsubayashi-an” has been renovated to become a luxury shukubo.

Ryotokuji is a Shinshu Otani-ha temple located in Narutaki, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Horin. Known as Daikon Ryotokuji. It is known for the radish burning event on December 9th and 10th every year. The reason for this is that in the 4th year of the Kamakura period (1252), Shinran preached at Narutaki on his way home from Tsukinowadera in the mountains of Atago, and the villagers who were impressed by it had nothing else to do. I didn’t have it, so I feasted on salt-cooked radish. In response, Shinran made a bunch of Susukino ears and used it as a brush, and wrote the cross name of “Shinran Jyukata Mukou Nyorai” as a thank you. The popular name for the Hoonko, which is held in connection with this event, is daikon burning.

Tenryu temple
Tenryuji Temple is the head temple of the Rinzai sect Tenryuji Temple in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. The temple name is correctly called Reikameyama Tenryuji Seizenji. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai, Kaisan (founder) is Takauji Ashikaga, and Kaisan (first chief priest) is Muso Soseki. It has been regarded as the first place in Kyoto Gozan as a Zen temple related to the Ashikaga Shogunate and Emperor Go-Daigo. It is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”.

In the early Heian period, there was Danrinji Temple, which was opened by Emperor Saga’s Empress Tachibana no Kachiko. After that, Emperor Gosaga (reigned 1242-1246) and his prince, Emperor Kameyama (reigned 1259-1274), ran a detached palace in the land of Danrinji Temple, which had been devastated after about four centuries. It was called “Kameyamaden”. “Kameyama” is Ogurayama, which is located to the west of Tenryuji Temple and is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. It has this name because the shape of the mountain resembles the shell of a turtle. The mountain number of Tenryuji Temple, “Mt. Reigame,” is also associated with this.

Hozenji Temple
Honen-ji is a temple of the Jodo sect located in Tateishi-cho, Saga Tenryuji, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. Honen Shonin 25 Remains No. 19 Fudasho (Kumagaya Irido Guardian’s Shadow). When Rensei (Naozane Kumagai) returned to Kanto, he begged for Mikage to worship Honen. Honen gave a self-made wooden statue. Rensei returned to his hometown of Kumagaya and built Kumagai Temple. After that, Rensei returned to Kyoto, and in May 1197, he asked Honen to open a mountain in the old land of his father, Sadanao, in the west of Nishikikoji Higashitodoin, and built Honen Temple with Mikage enshrined.

When Emperor Go-Fushimi was ill during the Shoan era (1299-1302), he said that the illness would be healed if he had a Buddhist memorial service, and he was cured of the illness. The emperor found the statue of Honen in this temple and was called to the Imperial Palace. At that time, I received the royal sum of “Gokurakuden”. The Emperor Ogimachi has also given him the amount of “Kumagayayama”. After that, in 1591, Hideyoshi Toyotomi moved to Bukkoji Temple in Teramachi. It moved to the present location in 1961 (Showa 36).

Togetsukyo is a bridge over the Katsura River (Oigawa River) in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Togetsukyo Bridge is a bridge between the left bank of the Katsura River (north side) and Nakanoshima Park, which is a sandbank, and is entirely located in Ukyo Ward. The bridge is 155m long and 12.2m wide. The road has two lanes, and there are sidewalks on both sides. It is a tourist attraction and an important transportation route connecting both banks of the Katsura River, and is part of Kyoto Prefectural Road No. 29. In addition, Minamizume is the starting point of the Kyoto Yawata Kizu Bicycle Path.

The current bridge is a steel-framed reinforced concrete girder bridge completed in 1934 (Showa 9). In order to harmonize with the landscape, the design inherits the old wooden bridge, and the bridge surface has a bow-shaped shape with the central part about 1 m higher, and the balustrade is also the same wooden square lattice type as the conventional bridge. In addition to the many photographs of this bridge being used in tourist pamphlets, it is also frequently used in filming movies and TV dramas, making it a building that symbolizes Arashiyama as a tourist destination.

Mt. Ogura is a mountain with an altitude of 296m in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. It is located on the north bank of the Katsura River and faces Arashiyama on the south bank. It is also called Mt. Yuzo, Mt. Ogura, or Mt. Hidden. The Katsura River (both Hozu River and Oigawa River) flows through the western and southern feet of Mt. Ogura, the eastern foot is Sagano, and the northeastern foot is Kano (currently Saga Toriimoto District), which has long been known as a place of burial. It is a famous spot for autumn leaves and is also famous as a Utamakura. It is said that the poet Fujiwara no Teika of the Kamakura period put together Hyakunin Isshu at Ogura Sanso (Shigure-tei) near Enrian. Currently, the estimated site of Ogura Sanso, which is said to be the site of Shigure-tei, such as Jojakkoji Temple, Nison-in Temple, and Enrian Temple, remains. In addition, around Ogurayama, a monument is set up in the park as “Ogura Hyakunin Isshu Bungeien” (49 in Kameyama Park, 19 in the Nagakami no Mori district on the south side of Nison-in Temple, etc.).

At the northeastern foot is the No. 1 torii of Atago Shrine, Kashino Nembutsu-ji, and at the eastern foot is Gionji, Takiguchiji, Nisonin, Seiryoji (Saga Shakado), Jojakkoji, Rakushisha, Nomiya Shrine, Tenryuji, Okochi Sanso. There are many famous temples and historic sites. In addition, there is Kameyama Park (Kyoto Prefectural Arashiyama Park) near the southern end of Mt. Ogura, and you can overlook the Hozu River from the observatory.

Jojakkoji Temple
Jojakkoji is a temple of the Nichiren sect located in Saga, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Ogurayama. The old main mountain is Omotoyama Honkokuji (Rokujomon style). Located on the slope of the hillside of Mt. Ogura, which is sung by Hyakunin Isshu, you can overlook Sagano from the precincts. More than 200 maples are planted in the garden of the precincts, and the whole mountain is surrounded by autumn leaves in autumn. It is said that there was a Fujiwara no Teika Ogura Sanso “Shigure-tei” in the Heian period.

In the 5th year of Bunroku (1596) at the end of the Azuchi-Momoyama period, the mother of Hidemasa Ogasawara and the adopted daughter of Terusuke Hino, Enjuin, became the foundation, and the 16th Honkokuji of the Nichiren sect, Honkokuji, opened the mountain as a retreat. It was. It is said that the temple name of Jojakkoji was given because of its atmosphere like Jojakkoji. It was Suminokura Ryoi and his brother, Eika Kakukura, who donated the land at the foot of Mt. Ogura to the poet Nissho. The precincts were maintained with the help of Hideaki Kobayakawa and others during the time of Nisei Nisei (a child of Terusuke Hino).

Nison-in is a temple of the Tendai sect in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Ogurayama. The temple name is Kedaiji. For details, it is called Ogurayama Nison-in Temple Kadai-ji Temple and Nison-in Temple Nison-in Temple. The name of Nison-in is derived from the two statues of the principal idol, “Sakyamuni Buddha” and “Amitabha of Raigo”. The approach called “Autumn Leaves Baba” that enters the main gate is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. In the back, there is a place that is said to be the site of Shigure-tei run by the Fujiwara no Teika, who is related to Hyakunin Isshu. It is also handed down as the birthplace of An Ogura.

It is said that Ennin (Jikaku Daishi) was erected by Emperor Saga during the Jōwa era (834-847) in the early Heian period. Although it was devastated after that, it was revived by Honen’s high-ranking younger brother, Honen, in the early Kamakura period, and became a dojo for the four sects of the Tendai sect, Shingon sect, Risshu, and Jodo sect. It became the base of. In addition, Sora serves as a mentor to Emperor Tsuchimikado and Emperor Gosaga.

Rakushisha is a hermitage located in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. It was used as a villa for Matsuo Basho’s disciple Mukai Kyorai, and the name comes from the fact that all the persimmons around the hermitage fell overnight. Basho also visited and stayed three times, and is also known as the place where he wrote “Saga Diary”. Kyorai obtained this hermitage in Sagano around 2-3 years of Jokyo (1685-1686) (the exact location of the hermitage at that time is unknown). It was originally built by a wealthy merchant.

Basho has visited this hermitage three times since 1689 (Genroku 2). Especially in 1691 (Genroku 4th year), he stayed for a long time from April 18th to May 4th and wrote “Saga Diary”. In addition, Nozawa Boncho, his wife, Hakon, and Mukai Kyorai have visited and five people are sleeping together in one mosquito net. The current hermitage was rebuilt in 1770 (Meiwa 7) by the poet Shigeatsu Inoue (originally from Saga and a relative of the past). This place was the site of Kogenji Temple. It was also revived in the first year of the Meiji era. Behind the current hermitage is the tomb of Kyorai.

Daikakuji Temple
Daikakuji is a temple of the Shingon sect Daikakuji school, located in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is called Sagayama. The principal image is the Five Great Myo Kings centered on Fudo Myo, and Kaisan is Emperor Saga. It is a temple related to the imperial family that changed the detached palace of Emperor Saga into a temple. In addition, it is a temple that is deeply involved in the political history of Japan, such as Emperor Go-Uda conducting a cloister rule here. In addition, it is the head office (Iemoto) of the flower arrangement Saga Goryu, who sees Emperor Saga as the ancestor. Because it is near Tahata, where there are many historical drama studios, the temple grounds (such as Osawaike and Akechimon) are often used for filming (especially historical drama) movies and television (#stage). Work).

Emperor Saga, who reigned in the early Heian period, ran a palace in this area located northeast of Sagano. It is said that Kukai, who had the trust of Emperor Saga, built a temple to enshrine the Five Wisdom Kings in the palace and practiced it. In 18th year of Jōgan (876), 30 years after the demise of Emperor Saga, Princess Seishi (Emperor Junna) changed the palace to a temple at Daikakuji Temple. Emperor Saga was founded by Prince Tsunesada, the grandson of Emperor Junna, as the founder of the mountain (first chief priest).

Seiryoji Temple
Seiryoji is a temple of the Jodo sect located in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is called Godaiyama. Known as Saga Shakado. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai, Kaisan is absurd, and Kaisan is the prosperity of his disciples. The sect first opened as the Huayan sect, and later developed as a “Yuzu Nembutsu Dojo” from the Muromachi period, combining Tendai, Mantra, and Nembutsu sect. In addition, it has a history of being Yamashita Betsutoji Temple of Atagoyama Hakuunji Temple (currently Atago Shrine) until the end of the Edo period.

Originally, there was a villa, Seikakan, of Emperor Saga’s prince, Minamoto no Toru (822-895). In the 8th year of Kanpei (896), which was the first anniversary of Minamoto no Toru, his son made a statue of Amitabha triad that he could not fulfill when he applied for construction in his lifetime, and the Amida temple where it was enshrined was called Qixia Temple. Then, in the 8th year of Tengyo (945), Princess Shigeaki built a new hall and enshrined a life-sized Buddha statue. According to one theory, the name “Shakado” originated at this time. Decades after the founding of Sumi Kasumi Temple, there was a monk from Todaiji Temple called “Chonen” 938-1016 who went to Song, China at that time and made a pilgrimage to Mt. Godai (one person, Mt. In 985, while traveling to Song, he ordered a local Buddha to engrave a statue of Shaka Nyorai at Kaigenji Temple in Taizhou.

The Buddha statue imitates a spiritual statue that was made from a Chinese berry tree during the lifetime of Buddha by the ancient Indian King Udayana. “India-China-Japan” Because it was introduced to the Buddha, it is called the “Buddha statue from the Three Kingdoms” and the “living Buddha-sama”, which is a living copy of the Buddha. After returning to Japan in the first year of Einobu (987), Mt. Atago in Kyoto was likened to Mt. Godai in China, and he tried to build a temple to enshrine this statue of Shaka Nyorai at the foot of Mt. Atago, but due to various obstacles. Being blocked, he once brought the Shaka statue to Rendaiji Temple in Funaokayama, Kyoto.

Nonomiya Shrine
Nonomiya Shrine is a shrine located in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The old shrine was a village shrine, and now it is an inclusive corporation of the main shrine. It is a place where Saio, who serves Ise Jingu on behalf of the emperor, cleanses himself before going to Ise, and was built in a clean area surrounded by Kuroki Torii and Koshibagaki. The situation is also depicted in The Tale of Genji “Sakaki no Maki”. It enshrines deities such as learning, fulfillment of romance, and childbirth, and is visited by many worshipers from other prefectures or overseas, as well as being revered by local residents.

Kurumazaki Shrine
Kurumazaki Shrine is a shrine located in Sagaasahicho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City. A stand-alone shrine that does not currently belong to the Association of Shinto Shrines. When Yorini died in the 5th year of Bunji (1189), a mausoleum was set up in the current enshrined area, which was the territory of the Kiyohara family. Later, a temple called “Hojuin” was built after the legal name of Yorin, and later became the last temple of Tenryuji.

Regarding the company name “Kurumazaki”, when a person passed in front of the company while riding a cow car, the car suddenly broke, and when Emperor Gosaga’s Oigawa Yuyuki, a car suddenly appeared in front of the company. Since I couldn’t move forward, I wondered when I asked the person in the company, and he answered that he would enshrine Yorin, so after the return, I decided to use the deity of “Kurumazaki Daimeijin” and the first rank. It is also called because it was given.

Kashino Nenbutsuji Temple
Kashino Nenbutsuji is a temple of the Jodo sect located in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Huaxi. Kashino has been a graveyard since the Heian period, along with Toribeno in Higashiyama and Rendaino in Rakuhoku, and is known as a place of burial. According to folklore, in Konin 2 (811), Kukai buried the remains that had become wild here, buried a thousand stone Buddha statues for memorial service, built the stone Buddha statue of Gochi Nyorai, and built Gochiyama Nyorai Temple. It is said that it will start even though it has been done. After that, Honen opened the Nenbutsudojo and became Nenbutsuji Temple.

The principal image is the statue of Amida Nyorai (it is called Tankei in the temple, but the actual author is unknown), and the main hall was rebuilt by Jakudo in the second year of Shotoku (1712) during the Edo period. The enormous number of stone Buddha statues and pagoda, which is about 8,000 in the precincts, is a collection of many unrelated Buddha statues scattered in Kano around 1903 (Meiji 36). It was named the Saiin River after the Sanzu River. There is also Mizuko Jizo in the precincts, and Mizuko kuyo is held on the fair of Jizo Bodhisattva.

Atago Nenbutsuji Temple
Atago Nenbutsu-ji is a temple of the Tendai sect in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The principal image is Senju Kannon. Also known as a temple of 1,200 Rakan. Atagoyama It is known as the “starting point of the Sagano tour” located at the entrance of the foot of the approach to Atago Shrine. It was founded as Atago-ji Temple in the 2nd year of Tenpyo-jingo (766) by Emperor Koken near Rokuharamitsuji Temple, which is now the land of Matsubara-dori, Higashiyama, Kyoto. It is said that the name of the temple is derived from the first temple built in Otagi-gun, Yamashiro Province.

At the beginning of the Heian period, it seems that it was the last temple of the Shingon sect Toji school. During the time of Emperor Daigo, the temple was already a ruined temple, but the flood of the Kamogawa river that flows nearby washed away Dou and it became an abandoned temple. After that, at the order of Emperor Daigo, the Tendai sect’s Senkannai (Dento Daiboshi) was reconstructed. Since Senkan, who was called the Nenbutsu Shonin, was chanting Nenbutsu at this temple, the temple changed its name to Atago Nenbutsu-ji and belonged to the Tendai sect. At this time, the temple was once equipped with the Shichido garan and the appearance of the temple was arranged, but after that, it was repeatedly raised and abolished, and finally the main hall, Jizo-do, and Niomon were left.

Atago Shrine
Atago Shrine is a shrine located in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old name is Atako Shrine. The old shrine was a prefectural shrine, and now it is a separate shrine. It is the head office of Atago Shrine, which has about 900 companies nationwide. Currently, it is also called “Atago-san”.

Settled on the summit of Mt. Atago (elevation 924m) on the border between Yamashiro and Tanba. Since ancient times, it has been worshiped with Mt. Hiei and was known as Hakuunji Temple, which enshrines Atago Gongen during the Shinbutsu Shugo period. Known as a shrine that has a spiritual test for fire-fighting and fire-prevention, the Atago Shrine’s fire-fighting tag with the words “Hinoyojin” is used in the kitchens of many homes in Kyoto, in the kitchens of restaurants, and in companies. It is affixed to tea rooms. Also, as “Atago’s Three Visits”, it is said that if you worship by the age of three, you will not have a fire for the rest of your life. In the upper storytelling, there are stories such as “Mt. Atago” and “Irachi no Atago pilgrimage”.

Tsukinowadera is a temple of the Tendai sect located in Tsukinowadera, Sagakiyotaki, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Kamakura (Kamakurayama, Kensozan). The principal image is Amida Nyorai. It is a mountain temple located in the deep mountains to the east of Mt. Atago (924m), which rises to the west of the Kyoto Basin. It is closely related to Atago Shrine (located on the summit of Mt. Atago), which was once the Atago Daigongen Hakuunji Temple, and is also known as a temple related to Kuya, Honen, and Kujo Kanezane. In the precincts, there is a Shigure cherry tree that is said to be hand-planted by Shinran, and it is also known as a famous spot for rhododendrons. Honen Shonin 25 Remains No. 18 Fudasho.

Tsukinowadera is located in the deep mountains on the east side of Mt. Atago, which rises to the west of the Kyoto Basin. Although it belongs to Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, there are no houses other than this temple, and you have to walk up the mountain path from Kiyotaki at the foot of the mountain for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. In order to explain the construction of Tsukinowadera, we must touch on the history of Atago Shrine (Atago Gongen), which is closely related. Atago Shrine is a shrine generally known as the god of fire, and before the early modern period, it was called Atago Gongen or Hakuunji, where Shinto and Buddhist rituals were practiced, and it was a dojo for Shugendo. “Hakuunji Engi” quoted in “Yamashiro Meikatsushi” describes the origin of Atago Gongen as follows.

Kuya Falls
Kuya Falls is a waterfall located at the foot of Mt. Atago in Kiyotaki Tsukinowa-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. Also known as Kuya Falls. The head is 15 meters, and a large amount of water flows down from the top of the cliffs of the chart (Tamba Group). It is a waterfall that is said to have been trained by Kuya, a monk in the middle of the Heian period (around 903-972). It is still the place of Shugendo where waterfalls are held.

Jingoji Temple
Jingoji is a temple of the Koyasan Shingon sect, located in Kaohsiung, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is called Kaohsiung Mountain. The principal image is Yakushi Nyorai, and Kaisan is Wake no Kiyomaro. It is a mountain temple located on the hillside of Mt. Kaohsiung in the Atagoyama (924 meters) mountain range, northwest of Kyoto city, and is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. Dou such as Kondo, Tahoto, and Daishido are built in the mountains after a long approach from Kaohsiung Bridge over the Kiyotaki River. Jingoji is a temple where Kukai temporarily lived before managing Toji and Koyasan, and Saicho also gave a lecture on the Lotus Sutra here, which is an important temple in the history of Japanese Buddhism.

The temple name is called “Jingokokuso Shingonji” in detail. “Jingoji” is used exclusively in the “Jingoji abbreviation”, which is the basic historical material of the temple, and in the national treasure, “Jingoji”, and “Jingoji” is also used on the board at the entrance of the temple. Because of this, the notation “Jingoji” is used in this section as well.

Saimei-ji Temple
Saimyoji is a temple of the Shingon sect Daikakuji school in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Makiosan, and the principal image is Shaka Nyorai. It is located on the hillside on the opposite bank across the Kiyotaki River from Shuzan Kaido, northwest of Kyoto city. It is known as a famous temple of Mio along with Kaohsiung Jingoji Temple and Kosanji Temple along the Shuzan Kaido.

According to the temple biography, it was founded by Kukai (Kobo Daishi)’s high-ranking younger brother, Chisen Daitoku, as an annex of Jingoji Temple during the Tencho era (824-834). After that, it was devastated, but during the construction period (1175-1178), the selfish superior of Izumi Kunimakioyama Temple was promoted, and the main hall, Keizo, treasure tower, and guardian were built. In 1290, he became independent from Jingoji Temple. The temple was destroyed by fire during the Eiroku era (1558-1570) and merged with Jingoji Temple, but it was revived by the Meinin Ritsushi in the 7th year of Keicho (1602). The current main hall is said to have been rebuilt in 1700 by the donation of Tsunayoshi Tokugawa’s mother, Keishoin, but there is also a theory that it was donated by Tofukumonin (Emperor Gomizuo Chugū).

Kosanji Temple
Kosanji Temple is a temple located in Umegahata Toganou-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City. Kosanji is located in the mountains northwest of Kyoto city. Kosanji Temple calls the mountain name Kabuoyama, and the sect is a stand-alone Shingon sect. It is said that it was founded in the Nara period, but the actual Kaisan (founder) was Myoe in the Kamakura period. Myoe, who was a disciple of the literary sense of Jingoji, entered the temple after the ruin of the Jingoji temple that was originally here. It is known as a temple that conveys many cultural assets such as paintings, books, and documents, including “Choju-jingai”. The precincts are designated as a national historic site and are registered as a World Heritage Site as “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”.

Kosanji Temple, where Kosanji Temple is located, is located in the mountains further back from Kaohsiung Mountain Jingoji Temple, which is famous for its autumn colors, and it seems that a small temple has been run since ancient times as a suitable place for mountain training. In the land of today’s Kosanji Temple, there are temples called “Tokaoji” and “Tsugaobo” from the Nara period, and it was built in Houki 5 (774) at the request of Emperor Konin. There is a report, but the actual situation at that time is not clear. During the Heian period, it was said to be a separate temple of the nearby Jingoji Temple, and was called Jingoji Jingojiin. It seems that this was a place of retreat training away from the main temple of Jingoji.

Joshokoji Temple
Joshokoji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Tenryuji school located in Keihokuidocho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai. The detailed name is Daio Meizan Manjujoshokou-ji Temple. It used to be called Joshoji.

Located in the mountains in the northern suburbs of Kyoto City. The opening of this temple was Emperor Kogon, who became the first emperor of the Northern Court during the Northern and Southern Dynasties. Emperor Kogon decorated (priesthood) at the Emperor Go-Murakami Gyogu in the 3rd year of Kannō / 7th year of Shohei (1352), and devoted himself to Zen Buddhism. After returning to Tokyo, in the first year of Sadaji / Shohei 17 (1362), he visited Tambayama Kunijo and reopened a non-resident temple called Seijoji, which was the beginning of Joshokoji. Two years later, the Emperor became lonely and was buried here. It declined temporarily during the Warring States period, but was later reconstructed, and during the Edo period, Hidetada Tokugawa gave him 50 stones from Ido Village as a temple territory. As of the 8th year of Tenmei (1788), it had 7 temples or temples.

Hiraoka Hachimangu
Hiraoka Hachimangu is a shrine (Hachimangu) located in Umegahata Miyanoguchi-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Also known as Umegahata Hachimangu, it is a local production company in the Umegahata area. It is also the oldest Hachiman shrine in Yamashiro province. It is said that Kukai solicited from Usa Hachimangu in Oita Prefecture in 809 (4th year of Daido) as a guardian of Jingoji Temple. It had been devastated for a while after it was burnt down in 1407 (Oei 14), but when Yoshimitsu Ashikaga’s wife visited Kaohsiung to hunt for autumn leaves, she was distressed by the desolate appearance of Hachimangu, which triggered the reconstruction of the shrine. There is a tradition that it became.

The current main shrine was built in 1826 (Bunsei 9), and the carpenters are Sobei Kamisaga and Tsuneemon Nakagawa of Muromachi Tadahiro Fujiwara. This main shrine is one of the few existing gabled main shrines in Kyoto City, and was designated as a tangible cultural property of Kyoto City in 2000 (Heisei 12). Forty-four colorful flower drawings are drawn on the ceiling of the main shrine, which is called the “flower ceiling,” and the Umeya Nagao is a highly decorative space with plums and camellias wrapped in Noshi. It was Kanjiro Ayato and Nonobu Fujiwara who drew these colored paintings.

Cultural tradition

Toei Kyoto Studio Park
Toei Kyoto Studio Park is a movie theme park located in Uzumasa Higashi Hachioka-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, and is said to be the forerunner of theme parks in Japan. A part of Toei Kyoto Studio was separated and opened to the public as a huge movie amusement facility. In November 1975 (Showa 50), a part of the open set of the Kyoto studio was transferred to the newly established subsidiary “Toei Kyoto Studio Co., Ltd.” as Toei Tahata Movie Village on a site of 29,000 square meters. Opened and opened to the public on the 1st.

In addition to historical drama sword fight shows, actor talk shows, photo sessions, and handshake events, character shows such as the Super Sentai series and Kamen Rider series, and hands-on planning such as sword fight lectures are also held. There is also a transformation studio where you can experience transforming into characters in historical drama such as maiko, princess, lord, samurai, tradesman, and town girl (reservation required). In addition, as an experience of Kagoya, we operate an actual Kago (charged).

Saga Arashiyama Bunkakan
Saga Arashiyama Bunkakan is a facility in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, operated by the Hyakunin Isshu Cultural Foundation, to display and promote art and culture related to Kyoto, including Hyakunin Isshu and Japanese paintings. The Hyakunin Isshu Museum “Hyakunin Isshu Hall Shigureden”, which was open from January 2006 to March 2017, was renovated and reopened as “Saga Arashiyama Bunkakan” on November 1, 2018. It is located at the foot of Mt. Ogura, near the Togetsukyo Bridge in Arashiyama, where the Fujiwara no Teika chose Hyakunin Isshu. The building has exhibition spaces on both the 1st and 2nd floors. The 1st floor is a permanent exhibition “Hyakunin Isshu History” and a special exhibition space, and the 2nd floor is a tatami gallery where special exhibitions are held. Since Japanese arts and crafts are originally viewed while sitting on tatami mats, we dared to use an exhibition case with a low position. Events such as competitive karuta and lectures are also held at the tatami gallery.

At the permanent exhibition “Hyakunin Isshu History”, 100 Kasen dolls based on the Edo period Kasen paintings will be exhibited, and you can taste Hyakunin Isshu in Japanese and English. In addition, the history of Hyakunin Isshu, starting with the Fujiwara no Teika and ending with the competitive karuta that became popular with the manga “Chihayafuru,” is explained using the collection of the Foundation. There is also a video corner that explains the rules of competitive karuta. The special exhibition is held four times a year, and in the special exhibition “Imomukashimo Munekyun ♡ Arashiyama” to commemorate the opening, paintings depicting Arashiyama and works by painters Takeuchi Seiho and Tomita Keisen who lived in Arashiyama are exhibited. ing. Among them, “Kaohsiung Autumn Scenery / Arashiyama Spring Scenery Folding Screen” by Yano Yashio, a painter from the Edo period, was newly discovered and was first released at the time of the opening.

Aburi mochi
Aburi-mochi is a rice cake made by sticking a thumb-sized rice cake sprinkled with soybean flour on a bamboo skewer, and then simmering it on a charcoal fire and then applying white miso sauce. Japanese sweets shops are known at Imamiya Shrine in Kita-ku, Kyoto, Seiryoji in Saga, Ukyo-ku, and Shinmeigu in Kanazawa, Kanazawa, Ishikawa.

In particular, the Imamiya Shrine store is said to be the oldest Japanese sweets shop in Japan since the Heian period, and it is said that it behaved to the common people during the Onin War and famine on the approach to Imamiya Shrine. In addition, the bamboo skewers used in Aburi-mochi are saiko skewers dedicated to Imamiya Shrine, and it is beneficial to go under the flower umbrella of the Yasurai Festival demon held on the second Sunday of April every year at Imamiya Shrine. It is said that eating it has the benefit of preventing illness and mischief, and is popular.

Natural space

Nishikyogoku Athletic Park
Nishikyogoku Athletic Park in Kyoto City is a wide-area sports park located in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. In the park with a total area of ​​19.1ha, there are an athletic field / ballpark, an auxiliary stadium, a baseball field, a pool / ice rink, a gymnasium (Hannaryz Arena), an archery field, and a lawn park “Midori no Oka”. There is. It is divided into two zones across the Hankyu Kyoto Main Line, with the athletics stadium / ballpark, auxiliary stadium, baseball stadium, gymnasium on the north side, and the pool / ice rink, archery rink, and lawn park on the south side. doing.

It was built in 1930 as a Kyoto city playground to commemorate the wedding ceremony of Tomiya (Emperor Showa). Requisitioned by the expeditionary force in 1945, canceled in 1951. With the 43rd National Athletic Meet (Kyoto National Athletic Meet) held in 1988, the company has been completely renovated since 1982 and completed the redevelopment in 1989. In 1995, Kyoto Purple Sanga (currently Kyoto Sanga F.C.) joined the Japan Professional Soccer League (J League), and after renovating the stands of the athletics stadium and ballpark, it has been used as Sanga’s home stadium. The pool facility was removed during the complete renovation in 1982, but construction work began in 1999 and the maintenance was completed in June 2002.

Kameyama Park
Kameyama Park is a park located in Sagakamenoocho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. To be exact, it is a part of Kyoto Prefectural Arashiyama Park (Kameyama district), but it is commonly called Kameyama Park after the cremation mound of three emperors including Emperor Kameyama on the hill in the park. The surrounding area is the so-called Arashiyama district, and there are many tourists throughout the four seasons, especially during the cherry blossom and autumn leaves season. Located at the southern foot of Mt. Ogura, Tenryuji Temple is on the east side, and Okochi Sanso is on the north side, which is one of the routes for visiting Sagano.

Sagano Sightseeing Railway The Sagano Sightseeing Line’s Torokko Arashiyama Station is nearby, and you can see the scenery of the Hozu River from the observatory in the park, including the running of the Torokko train. At the northern end of Kameyama Park, there is an entrance to an undeveloped mountain trail leading to the summit of Mt. Ogura.

Hozu Gorge is a valley of the Hozu River (Katsura River) from Kameoka City, Kyoto Prefecture to Togetsukyo Bridge in Arashiyama, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City. Also with the Hozugawa Gorge. It is a scenic spot known for river rafting and sightseeing trolley trains, and is designated as the Kyoto Prefectural Hozukyo Natural Park. The Katsura River, which originated from the Tamba Highlands, meanders through the narrow mountainous area at the southern foot of Mt. Atago for 11.5km from the Kameoka Basin to the Kyoto Basin. This mountain valley is Hozu Gorge.

The cause of this meandering, which flows over 7.3km in a straight line over 11.5km, is that Hozu Gorge is a leading valley. This is because the slope was gentle, and after the river meandered freely, the Tamba Group, which had an east-west strike, gradually rose across the river, but the speed of the valley bottom (downward erosion) was faster than that speed. Therefore, the meandering flow path remains as it is. The valley is lined with megaliths, torrents and waterfalls rich in megaliths, and is lined with attractions such as Otakase, Futatsuse, Tono fishing grounds, Mebuchi, Karasuhata rocks, armor rocks, kaeru rocks, monoliths, and lion rocks. Although there is a hiking course on the left bank, the section between Arashiyama and JR Hozukyo Station is via Kiyotaki, not along the valley.

Abandoned village Haccho
Abandoned village Haccho is a village that once existed in the southern part of Mt. Shinadani (881m) in Keihoku, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, and five households settled in the early Meiji era after nearly 600 years of border conflict. At one point, a branch school was set up, but in 1941 (Showa 16), all the houses were separated. After the abandoned village, it is generally called “Abandoned Village Haccho” or “Haccho Abandoned Village”, and it is popular with hikers because the surrounding area is a hiking course.

If you drive from Toriimoto over Mizuo for about 30 minutes on the mountain road, you will see the beautiful rice terraces of Sagashikimigahara and the scenery of old-fashioned satoyama. The name of the place is derived from the fact that it was said to be the place where the water source of the Nanatani River, where “Shikimi” grows naturally, was cultivated. It used to be called Haramura, and even today the locals still call it “Hara”. There is also a theory that the “belly” of Atago’s hillside became the “hara”.

As the Atago faith spread from the early Heian period, there were worshipers from neighboring countries, and the Kashihara road was said to be the back approach to the Omotesando of the Kiyotaki road. From around Tamba, Tango, and Settsu, this road is the main approach to Mt. Atago, and from the teahouse to the Hatago, liquor store, etc., it developed into a post town or Monzen town for visiting Atago. During the Genroku era, Narutaki’s whetstone, Gorozaemon Homma, began mining whetstones in Kashihara and became known throughout the country as “Hara’s Motoyama whetstone.”

However, in the Meiji era, Mt. Atago declined due to the abolition of Buddha, and due to the decline of the post town due to the development of traffic, it returned to a quiet mountain village. The rice terraces of Kashihara are also called armor fields because they look like samurai armor when looking up from the foot of the mountain.

In Sagashikimigahara, the local guardian deity, Shisho Shrine, has a particularly beautiful landscape during the season of fresh greenery and autumn leaves. The autumn cosmos fields are also worth a visit.

Koshihata is an area rich in nature with terraced rice fields and thatched roofs. In this area, two people, Unpei and Ryutoku, who followed the founder of Atagoyama Hakuunji Temple in 814 (early Heian period), “Keishunsei,” often went to Tanba Province for sacred errands. Realizing that it was very inconvenient to come and go because there were no houses, we cultivated the land of Koshihata in order to improve the convenience of transportation for Atago-san worshipers. After that, it developed as a settlement where the youngest aristocrats moved from the capital. It reached its peak from Kamakura to the Muromachi period.

In the 4th year of the Meiji Era, a waterway extending over 3 km was excavated from Ashimitani by all the villagers. After that, it often broke during heavy rain and repair was difficult, so the mayor of Kobayashi at that time negotiated with Keihoku Hosono Village, the water source, and obtained the water supply right to complete the tunnel by hollowing out Mt. Kamiotani. For two years from 2009, the waterway tunnel was repaired by the “agricultural drainage channel maintenance work” with a project cost of about 320 million yen, and stable irrigation water could be realized.

In Koshihata, mountain cherry blossoms and mountain azalea flowers bloom in spring, and Ominaeshi and Hozuki can be seen in summer. Grape and apples are planted in the rice terraces, and you can enjoy the autumn leaves in the fall.

The “Yuzu bath” made from fresh yuzu is said to have been liked by Emperor Seiwa in the olden days, and has become a tradition of Mizuo. You can enjoy this yuzu bath and mizutaki or mizutaki in a private house (reservation required, accommodation not allowed). During the Yuzu season, you can escape from the crowds of the city and take a leisurely Yuzu bath, where you can relax in the tatami room surrounded by local chickens and home-grown vegetable-rich bird plows.

Fuji Bakama
At Mizuo, Fujibakama, one of the seven autumn herbs, is carefully cultivated by local people and volunteers, focusing on the original species. Every year in late September, a local-sponsored Fujibakama appreciation party is held, and it has become established as a new tradition along with “Yuzu Mizuo” in late autumn.

Chestnut tiger
Every year, many Chestnut tigers (migratory butterflies that travel long distances) fly to Fujibakama in full bloom, and a fantastic landscape spreads out in the nature-rich Mizuo.