Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kinki Region, Japan

Yamashina Ward is one of the 11 administrative districts that make up Kyoto City. The ward covers the northern part of the Yamashina basin on the east side of Kyoto City and the surrounding mountains. It is located on the prefectural border with Shiga prefecture, east of the center of Kyoto city beyond Higashiyama. It borders Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture in the east, and Sakyo Ward, Higashiyama Ward, and Fushimi Ward in Kyoto City in the north, west, and south. Area 28.78 square kilometers.

The area is a basin surrounded by mountains such as Nyoigatake, Otowayama, Daigoyama, and Higashiyama. The old Tokaido runs east to west along the north side of the ward, and the Nara Highway to the direction of Nara also leads to it, which has long been a major transportation hub. Even now, the JR Tokaido Main Line, Tokaido / Sanyo Shinkansen, National Route 1, and the Meishin Expressway pass through the ward. There are few so-called tourist spots in the ward, but in the north there are the Tenchi Emperor Yamashina Mausoleum, Bishamon-do Temple, Anshoji Temple, Honkokuji Temple (Nichiren Sect Daihonzan), etc. , There is Zuishinin.

It is separated from the Kyoto basin by Higashiyama and from the Ohmi basin by Mt. Otowa and Mt. Daigo (Mt. Kasatori). It has long been a major transportation hub connecting Kyoto and Togoku. It used to be a rural village on the border with Shiga prefecture, but now it has become a commuter town in downtown Kyoto and Osaka, and there are many immigrants from other areas.

The eastern side borders Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture, and has strong ties with Otsu. In addition, the south side is in contact with the Daigo district of Fushimi Ward, forming the same living area and economic area as Yamashina Ward. It is said that the connection between Yamashina Ward and the Daigo district is deeper than the connection between the center of Fushimi Ward and the Daigo district.

When the municipal system was enforced in 1889, this area was Yamashina-mura, Uji-gun. Yamashina Village became Yamashina Town by enforcing the town system in 1926, but five years later, it was incorporated into Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City in 1931. After that, as mentioned above, it was separated into Yamashina Ward in 1976.

Traffic has been active around Yamashina for a long time, and Hinooka Pass, which crosses Higashiyama, and Osaka Seki, which leads to Otsu-juku, were known as key points on the Tokaido. Yamashina is a highway town on the Tokaido and prospered especially during the Edo period. In addition, the Nara Kaido (Hokuriku Road when the capital was in Nara) that runs south from Osaka, the Shibutani Kaido (which connects Togoku and Rokuhara Tandai), the Shibutani Kaido, and the Oiwa Kaido that cross Higashiyama to the south of Hinooka. There were many highways.

People have lived on the plateau of Kurisuno since the Jomon period, and large-scale settlements from the Yayoi period have also been found. In particular, the Nakaomi site, where the sites from the Upper Paleolithic period to the Muromachi period overlap, is an important site.

Yamashina has been closely linked to the administration since ancient times, and in 669, the Seisha (Yamashina Temple) was built by Kamatari, and at the end of the 7th century, the Tomb of Emperor Tenchi was built. After the construction of Heiankyo and Hieizan Enryakuji Temple, many temples such as Anshoji Temple (848), Bishamon-do Temple Ruins, Koshuji Temple (900), and Mandara Temple (later Zuishinin, 991) were built, and the Yamashina River outside the ward. Daigoji Temple (874) was built on the mountaintop and foot of Mt. Kasatori, which is located downstream.

From the Muromachi period to the Warring States period
In the Middle Ages, there was a villa called “Yamashina-so”, and the first-class officials who held it for generations later called themselves the Yamashina family, but 1548 of the Yamashina Shogunate, who was known as a representative of the Warring States period. It was robbed by the Muromachi Shogunate in the year.

Yamashinabetsu was built by Rennyo in 1478 in the latter half of the Muromachi period, and the temples surrounded by long earthworks and Jinaicho occupy a large area of ​​the Yamashina basin. However, Harumoto Hosokawa, who was afraid of the existence of Honganji Temple, which became a walled city, and the momentum of the students, tried to hit the Ikko sect in collusion with the Nichiren sect who had almost controlled the city of Kyoto. ..

In the 1532 Siege of Mount Hiei, the Nichiren sects fell and burned Yamashina Honganji (Battle of Yamashina Honganji). After this, the Hongan-ji forces that lost their headquarters have moved to Osaka (Ishiyama Hongan-ji). Yamashina Honganji has been abandoned, but there are still traces of high earthworks in various parts of the ward.

Edo Period
During the Edo period, Yamashina, Shinomiya, and Higechaya Oiwake (currently Otsu City Oiwake) became a continuous town as a highway along the Tokaido (now called the old highway, old Sanjo street, etc. with the opening of Sanjo-dori). , Many people came and went, including hikyaku and change of attendance. From Higechaya Oiwake, the Fushimi Highway (Otsu Highway), which directly connects Otsu-juku, Fushimi-juku, and Osaka, ran south through the Yamashina Basin without passing through Kyoto. In addition to cultivating crops to be donated to the palace as a forbidden land for the emperor living in Kyoto, he also supplied vegetables to the citizens of Kyoto as a suburban farming village. In addition, Yoshio Oishi (Kansuke) lived in Nishinoyama, which is the western end of Yamashina Ward, and deceived the public by going over Higashiyama every night to Gion until his death.

From the Meiji Restoration to World War II
After the Meiji era, Lake Biwa Canal, the Tokaido Main Line, and the current Keihan Keishin Line passed through Yamashina, and in 1933 the Keishin National Highway (later National Highway No. 1, now Sanjo Dori) was opened, and from the Taisho era to the Showa era, textiles It prospered as a suburban residential and industrial area in Kyoto, with a dyeing factory built.

A particularly large factory was the Japanese silk fabric that was built in Nishino in 1921, and the following year it was absorbed by Kanebo and became its Yamashina factory. Many female workers lived in the area, and there were markets and movie theaters nearby, contributing to the urbanization of the area around Yamashina Station. (The Yamashina factory moved to Nagahama in 1970, and the site is now a Yamashina housing complex.)

Golf courses, dance halls, restaurants, etc. have also been established as leisure districts on the outskirts of Kyoto. It was incorporated into Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City in 1931, but at that time, houses and factories were concentrated along the Tokaido and around Yamashina Station, and the others were rural villages with scattered bamboo and bushes.

After World War II
After the war, the Kyoto-Higashi Interchange on the Meishin Expressway, the Gojo Bypass on National Highway No. 1, the outer loop line in the ward, and the Kosei Line on the Japanese National Railways (currently JR West) were opened. After the high-growth period, farmland in the basin became residential land, and large-scale housing estates were constructed, making it a commuter town in Kyoto and Osaka. However, the fact that road maintenance could not catch up at this time is also the cause of chronic congestion in various parts of the ward.

In 1976 (Showa 51), it was separated from Higashiyama Ward and became Yamashina Ward. In recent years, further improvements have been made to the transportation network, such as the opening of the Lake Biwa West Transit Road such as the Nishi-Otsu Bypass, and the Kyoto Municipal Subway Tozai Line, which runs from the center of Kyoto City under Hinooka and runs south through Yamashina Ward. , Yamashina station square was redeveloped with the opening of the subway, and a redevelopment building containing a department store (Daimaru) is being constructed. Therefore, the area around Yamashina Station and along the outer ring road where the subway Tozai Line runs underground are growing into a vibrant city, but the prosperity of the former Tokaido and Daigo Kaido, which were once the main streets, has been hidden and hollowed out. I’m out.

The history from the enforcement of the municipal system in 1889 to the establishment of Yamashina Ward is as described above. In Yamashina-cho, Uji-gun, Anshu, Ueno, Otsuka, Oya, Otowa, Ono, Uehanayama, Kawada, Koshuji, Kitakazan, Kurisuno, Koyama, Shinomiya, Zushiokuwakabayashi, Takenashi, Nagitsuji, Nishino, Nishino There were 23 large characters of Yama, Hachiken, Higashino, Higechaya, Hinooka, and Misasagi, but these became a total of 301 towns when Yamashina Town was incorporated into Higashiyama Ward at that time in 1931. It was organized. These towns were named after “Yamashina” with the old large name, for example, “Yamashina-ku, Yamashina-Anshuinariyama-cho”, but in 1976, the Yamashina division After that, the crown of “Yamashina” is abolished.

April 1, 1889 (Meiji 22) –With the enforcement of the town and village system, Uji-gun Anshu Village, Ueno Village, Goryo Village, Hioka Village, Kitchen Oku Village, Takenashi Village, Shinomiya Village, Hige Chaya Town, Hachiken Town, Small Yamamura, Otowa Village, Otsuka Village, Nishino Village, Higashino Village, Kita Hanayama Village, Otaku Village, Atsushiji Village, Uehanayama Village, Kawada Village, Koshuji Village, Nishinoyama Village, Kurisu Nomura, Ono Village merged to Yamashina Village, Uji County Is established.
October 16, 1926 (Taisho 15) –Yamashina Village enforces the town system and becomes Yamashina Town.
April 1, 1931-Yamashina-cho, Uji-gun is incorporated into Kyoto City. Became part of Higashiyama Ward.
June 1951-Higashiyama Ward Office Yamashina Branch is established.
October 1, 1976 (Showa 51) –The former Yamashina Ward was separated from Higashiyama Ward and became Yamashina Ward.

Historic sites

Bishamon-do is a temple of the Tendai sect in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Gohoyama. The official name is Izumoji Temple, Ankokuin Temple. The principal image is Bishamonten. It is one of the five gates of the Tendai sect in Kyoto, and is also called the Yamashina Bishamon-do and Bishamon-do gates. According to the temple, Izumo-ji, the predecessor of Bishamon-do, was opened in 703 by the request of Emperor Monmu. According to a historical document called Byodoji Temple (“Douin Buddhist Temple”), in 1195, Byodoji Temple integrated three temples related to Heike, Byodoji Temple, Soncho Temple, and Gohoji Temple, and Izumo.

It is said that three Gokendo temples were built on the road (“Gokendo” means a Buddhist temple with five pillars on the frontage). The temple created in this way inherited the temple registration of Izumoji, and was erected as Gohoyama Izumoji on the ground of the former Izumoji in Tonogaki in 1195, and the statue of Bishamonten, which was engraved by Saicho, is the principal image. And said. In addition, following the Nemoto Chudo of Hieizan Enryakuji Temple, Byodoji Temple is set up in the west, Soncho Temple is set up in the east, and Goho Temple is set up in the center.

It was destroyed by fire in the first year of Onin (1467) during the Muromachi period, but was rebuilt in the first year of civilization (1469). However, it was burnt down again in Genki 2 (1571). During the Keicho period (1596-1615) at the beginning of the Edo period, the reconstruction was started by Tenkai, a priest of the Tendai sect and an aide to Ieyasu Tokugawa. The Edo Shogunate gave a part of the temple territory of Anshoji Temple in Yamashina (a Shingon sect temple built in the 9th century) to Izumo-ji Temple, and relocated and reconstructed it at the present location.

After the death of Tenkai, his disciple Kokai took over and was completed in Kanbun 5 (1665). Emperor Gosai’s Koben-hosou (1669-1716) received a reprimand at this temple and retired to Bishamon-do in his later years, but at that time he was a messenger from the Imperial Palace after the death of his father, Emperor Gosai. The gate, the sacred hall, and the shrine hall have been relocated to Bishamon-do. After that, it became a monzeki temple (a name of a prestigious temple where the royal family and aristocrats live), and it came to be called “Bishamon-do monzeki”, one of the five gates of the Tendai sect of Kyoto. The temple territory is 1,700 stones.

Anshoji Temple
Anshoji is a temple of the Koyasan Shingon sect in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Kisshozan. The principal image is eleven-faced Kannon. One of the fixed-price temples associated with the imperial court. Although Terauchi is not open to the public, the eleven-faced Kannon image of the principal image will be open to the public for the first time in 2019 as part of the “Kyoto Private Cultural Properties Special Opening”. It was founded by Eun (Longevity Monk) in the first year of Kashō (848) at the request of Emperor Ninmy and Emperor Montoku’s mother, Junko Fujiwara. Since it is a temple related to the emperor’s mother, it became a fixed-price temple in the second year of Saikō (855). According to “Engi-shiki”, Junko’s tomb is located in Yamashina, which suggests a deep relationship with this temple.

Based on the temple treasure that remained in the Edo period, it was relocated to its current location and rebuilt, but the upper temple was not rebuilt and was abolished. At this time, it will be Koyasan Hoseiin and Obisho. In addition, most of the temple territory will be sold to Bishamon-do Temple to maintain the temple, and the scale of the temple will be significantly reduced. Even in the Edo period, it was hit by fire many times, and the Tahoto was destroyed by fire in 1897 and has not been rebuilt since then. Currently, only the main hall, Jizo-do, and Daishido, which were rebuilt in the latter half of the Edo period, remain.

Zuikoin is a Buddhist temple of the Rinzai sect Daitokuji school located in Anshudonoushiro-cho, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto. It used to exist in Zuikoin Maemachi, Horikawa-dori, Kamigyo-ku. It was in 1958 that it moved to its current location. It is also a temple associated with Chushingura.

The temple was built in 1611 (Keicho 16). After Nagamasa Asano died, Iemori Yamazaki made the villa Zuikoin. After the Yamazaki family was cut off, the temple was associated with Asano’s ancestors, and Zuikoin’s uncle, Naganori Asano’s wife, who was in the relationship with his niece, Yozen-in was the Asano family’s martial arts Nagahisa. The temple was rebuilt in prayer. It is said that after Asano Naganori was harassed in the case of the famous Matsu corridor, his vassals came to Zuikoin, buried the crown of Asano Naganori in the precincts, built a memorial tower, and prayed for the souls of his master. It is said that the priest of Zuikoin went to Edo, collected the suicide note and hair of the priest, and returned to the temple to build a monument when the priests such as Yoshio Oishi, who was a vassal of Takumi Asanouchi, were seppuku. It moved to the current location in 1958.

Yamashina Honganji
Yamashina Honganji is a temple of the Jodo Shinshu sect in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City. Completed and erected on August 22, 15 (September 23, 1483) by Rennyo, the 8th Honor of Honganji Temple. A moat and earthworks were built around it to form Jinaicho. It was burnt down by Rokkaku and the Hokke sect on August 24, 1532 (September 23, 1532). Currently, the Jodo Shinshu Honganji school and the Shinshu Otani school Yamashina Betsuin are built on the site, the Nanden ruins are in the Otani school Kosho-ji, and the earthworks ruins are in Yamashina Central Park. The ruins of Minami Dono and the ruins of earthworks were designated as national historic sites in 2002.

It was built from the 10th year of Bunmei (1478) and is said to have been built in about 6 years. Located on the west side of the center of the Yamashina basin, it is the confluence of the Shinomiya River and the Yamashina River (formerly Otowa River), and belonged to Uji-gun, Yamashiro at that time. This area was a turning point and a key point of transportation from Tokaido to Uji Kaido. According to the “Keiatsuho Inkan Diary” in the first year of Astronomy (1532), it was called “Yamashina Honganji Nojo Owarutote”, so it was called as a castle from that time.

It is believed that the reason why the temple was transformed into a castle was that it was completed as a full-fledged castle by calling in a castle builder from Kaga. The structure of Yamashinabetsu Honganji is a modern castle rope called “contour type” or “circular type”, and while the castles of the Sengoku daimyo and nationals of this era are mountain castles, Yamashinabetsu is a flat castle. It contains elements of a modern castle a century ago, and it is explained in the “Medieval Castle Dictionary” that “it can be said to be a remarkable castle ruin in the history of the castle.”

Sorinin is a temple of the Tendai sect in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City. Known as Yamashina Seiten. The mountain number is Gohoyama. The principal image is the great sacred Kangiten of the secret Buddha. The tower of Bishamon-do Gate. It was built in 1665 by the high seas, a priest of the Tendai sect, with the reconstruction of Bishamon-do. The statue of Amida Nyorai, which is also known as “Kobo no Mida”, was solicited by Saimei-ji Temple in Omi Province, which was enshrined in Bishamon-do, and became the principal image.

In 1868 (the first year of the Meiji era), a new temple was built to enshrine the Buddhist priest, Kojun-hosou, who was the lord of the Tendai-zasu. Along with that, the principal image of Sorinin was changed from Amida Nyorai to Daisho Kangiten.

Oishi Shrine
Oishi Shrine is a shrine that enshrines Yoshio Oishi and other Ronin Ako who were defeated in the Ako incident. In the Edo period, the Edo Shogunate could not be ridiculously honored, but in 1868 (the first year of the Meiji era), the Emperor Meiji sent a messenger to Sengakuji Temple, where the tomb of Ronin Akaho is located, and mourned it. , A shrine was built in Akaho and Kyoto to enshrine Akaho Namishi. One of the shrines dedicated to the feudal lords who were popular from the late Edo period to the early Meiji period. Located in Ako City, Hyogo Prefecture.

Created as Ako Oishi Shrine by enshrining Ako Shrine and Oishi Shrine. The old shrine was a prefectural shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. The main deities are 47 Ako Namishi, including the former Ako feudal lord Asano family and Mori family ancestors of the Ako shrine deity, Yoshio Oishi of the Oishi shrine deity, and Shigemi Kayano who committed self-harm in the middle. He gathers faith with the god of “fulfillment of the great wish” in honor of the deity who fulfilled the great wish of the lord’s vengeance.

After the Ako incident, a small shrine was set up and secretly enshrined in the Oishi residence in the former Ako castle by people who praised the Ako Ronin. In 1900 (Meiji 33), the government allowed the construction of a new shrine as “Oishi Shrine”, and the construction was laid down in April 1910 (Meiji 43), and the shrine was completed in 1912 (Taisho 1st year). In 1928 (Showa 3), it was promoted from an unqualified shrine to a prefectural shrine. After World War II, the third generation of the Akaho feudal lord, Asano (Naganao, Nagatomo, Naganori), who was enshrined at the shrine inside the castle, and the Akaho feudal lord after the Asano family, who was enshrined at the Akaho shrine outside the castle. The seven warlords of the Mori family who became the ancestors (Mori Kanari, Mori Kataka, Mori Nagayoshi, Mori Ranmaru (Ranmaru), Mori Nagataka (Bomaru), Mori Naga (Rikimaru), Mori Tadamasa) were enshrined.

Kajuji Temple
Kajuji Temple is a monzeki temple located in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City. The head temple of the Shingon sect mountain class. The mountain number is called Kamekoyama. Kaisan (founder) is Emperor Daigo, Kaisan (first chief priest) is Shoshun, and the principal image is Senju Kannon. The temple crest (sect crest) is the back Yaegiku. It is a temple closely related to the imperial family and Mr. Fujiwara. Also called “Mountain Monzeki”. The name of the temple is sometimes read as “Kanshuji” or “Kanjuji”, but in the temple, “Kajuji” is the official name. On the other hand, the reading of “Kanshuji” in the place name “Kanshuji XX Town” in Yamashina Ward is “Kanshuji”.

According to Kajuji Engi, etc., in the 3rd year of Shotai (900), Emperor Daigo visited the site of the residence of Yamasu Miyamichi, the grandfather of Taneko, in order to remedy his mother, Fujiwara no Taneko, who died at a young age. It is said that Himuroike was also taken in, and it was built by ordering the right minister, Fujiwara no Sadakata, who is the same mother and brother of Taneko. The father of Taneko (the grandfather of Daigo) Fujiwara no Takafuji was named Kajuji. Kaisan is a priest of the Hosso sect from Todaiji Temple. It prospered as a temple ruins of the palace gate where the Hosshinnō entered the temple for generations, but in 1470 it was burnt down by the Onin War and declined, and in the Edo period it was reconstructed with the assistance of Mr. Tokugawa and the imperial family.

Zuishinin is a temple of the Shingon Sect Zentsuji school in Ono, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto. Ningai monk, known as the founder of the Ono style, opened the mountain. The principal image is the Bodhisattva Bodhisattva. The temple crest is Kujo Fuji. The Ono district where this temple is located is considered to be the base of Mr. Ono, and Zuishinin is also known as a temple related to Ono no Komachi. I wrote a faint love story between Ono no Komachi and the Major General. Zuishinin was originally the head of the Ushihideyama Mandala Temple, which was founded by Ningai (954-1046).

Ningai is the ancestor of the Shingon Buddhist Ono school. It was said that he prayed for rain nine times at Shinsen-en Garden, and it rained each time, and it was commonly known as “rain priest.” Mandara-ji is a temple built by Emperor Ichijo in 991, when Ningai gave it to him as a temple site next to Mr. Ono’s mansion. According to folklore, Ningai learned that his mother had been reborn as a cow in a dream and raised the cow, but soon died. It is said that he named it “Ushihideyama Mandala Temple” because he was saddened and drew the Mandala of the Two Worlds on the cow’s skin and made it the principal image. There is a similar narrative in “Kojidan”, but it is said that it was not Ningai’s mother but his father who became a cow.

Gankeiji Temple
Gankeiji is a temple of the Tendai sect in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is an extra bill office of the 33 sacred sites in Saigoku. The mountain number is Mt. Kachō. The principal image is Yakushi Ruriko Nyorai. Honzon Mantra: Around the time, Senderi Matougi Sowaka. Song: Wait, so to speak, in awe, Hanayama, for a while, and the sound of angst birds.

It was built as a fixed-price temple at the request of Takako Fujiwara, who gave birth to Emperor Yozei in the 10th year of Jōgan (868). Kaisan is a priest, Henjo, who is one of Rokkasen. It is said that it became Chokugan-ji Temple in the first year of Gangyo (877) and was renamed Gankeiji Temple. In the 2nd year of Kanna (986), Emperor Kazan was sent to the temple by the plot of Fujiwara no Kaneie and Michikane’s father and son, and the grandson of Kaneie, Emperor Ichijo, took the throne (Kanna’s change). .. It is a temple where the shadow of Emperor Kazan is enshrined and is also called Hanayama Temple, and it is described as Hanayama Temple in the Okagami. As it is a temple related to Emperor Kazan, this temple is the 33rd extra bill office in Saigoku. The cathedral disappeared due to the war of the Onin War, and the precincts have become smaller since then. The current building is said to have been rebuilt during the Anei era (1772-1781).

Lake Biwa Canal
Lake Biwa Canal is a waterway (sui) created in the Meiji era to drain the lake water of Lake Biwa to the city of Kyoto next to the west. It is designated as a national historic site. Lake Biwa Canal is a general term for the first canal (completed in 1890) and the second canal (completed in 1912). Combine both canals and take 23.65m3 / s at Mihogasaki, Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture. The breakdown is 12.96 m3 / s for tap water, and it is also used for hydroelectric power generation, irrigation, sewage sweeping, and industrial water. In addition, water transportation using canal water was also carried out. Hydroelectric power generation started operation the year after water flow, and is the first in Japan for commercial use. The electricity was used to run Japan’s first train (Kyoto Electric Railway, which was later acquired and Kyoto streetcar), and was also used as industrial power to contribute to the modernization of Kyoto.

Water transportation using canal water connected Lake Biwa and Kyoto, and Kyoto with Fushimi and the Uji River. An incline with the same principle as the cable car was installed in Keage and Fushimi, which have a large head, and the ship was moved on a trolley on the track. All of the Inclines were abolished due to the disappearance of water transportation, but some of the facilities of the Keage Incline are still preserved. It is used in the gardens of Higashiyama such as Murin-an, Heian Jingu Shrine, Gouritei, Kikusui, Kaiu-so, and Maruyama Park, and also as fire protection water for the Kyoto Imperial Palace and Higashi Honganji Temple. Some sections are designated as national historic sites. It is also one of the 100 best waters.

Honkokuji Temple is the main temple of the Nichiren sect (sacred site temple) in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, and is the ancestral mountain of the Rojomon school. The mountain number is Mt. Daiko. The main temple is said to have started when Nichiren, the founder of the Nichiren sect (Hokke sect), set up the Hokke-do in Matsubagayatsu, Kamakura. In the first year of Jōwa (1345), Nichijo received a temple from Emperor Komyō and moved to Rojo Horikawa. Honkokuji, which prospered in Kyoto, is called “Western Kuonji”, as opposed to “Eastern Kuonji”. After that, due to the dismantling of the 600 old Sueji temples and numerous lawsuits and debts, Honkokuji was devastated and the site of its construction in Rojoborikawa was sold and moved to Yamashina. At the initiative of the 68th Hisamura Nikki Nuki, the temple was decorated with golden sharks and dragons, a statue of Nio with a large bonsho bell, and other golden decorations, but it was restored to the old one after the 104th Ito Niji Nuki Shinzan. ing.

The old tower still remains in the old land of Rokujo (Shorin-in, Mizuun-in, Ichion-in, Shoyo-in, Ryoen-in, Kanjiin, Shoyo-in, Rinsho-in, Honmyo-in, Chimyo-in). , Honjitsu-in, Shinyo-in, Ryoko-in, Chiryo-in, Chimyo-in, Kujo-in). The Honkokuji Cemetery in the old land of Rojo is currently managed by the Toto Temple in the old land. Recently, there is a movement to revive Honkokuji Temple in Rokujo among the old Sueji temples and the four deceased rituals (Shinenji ritual, Shinenji ritual, Shinenji ritual, and Tatsushi ritual). At the time of reconstruction, Yamashina will become Okunoin. Currently living in the 104th generation, Nichirenshu Ito (Shinzan from Honryuji Temple in Sapporo City, Rinshi Hoen).

Iwaya Shrine
Iwaya Shrine is a shrine located in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is a village shrine in the modern system of shrines. There was a time when it was imitated as “Yamashina Shrine Niza, Uji-gun, Yamashiro Province”, but it is now denied. It enshrines Tenninho Mimi, Kashihata Chichihime, and the children of both gods.

On the hillside behind the main shrine, there are two giant yin and yang called Okunoin or Iwayaden, and the origin of our company is that they are enshrined as Banza. According to the company biography, it is said that it was founded in the 31st year of Emperor Nintoku. During the Kanpei era, Chichihime Kashihata was enshrined in Yin, Tenninho Mimi was enshrined in Yoiwa, and Nigihayahi was enshrined in a small shrine in Iwamae. This is a worship of the ancestral god when Mr. Otaku, a member of the Mononobe clan, pioneered Yamashina. During the Jisho era (1177-1180), the shrine was burned by a monk at Mii-dera, and the old record was lost. It was rebuilt in 1262 (Kocho 2). In the Middle Ages, it was called “Iwaya Sansha in the East and West”. Higashi Iwaya is Iwaya Shrine and Nishi Iwaya is Yamashina Shrine, but it is unknown what Kami Iwaya is.

Kankikoji Temple
Kankikoji is a temple of the Ji-shu Rokujo school main temple in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Mt. Purple Moss. The name of the institute is Kawara-in. The principal image is Amida Nyorai. Kaisan is a sacred commandment. Also known as the Rojo Dojo. Shokai, the founder of Kankikoji Temple, is a high-ranking younger brother of Ippen, a monk who accompanied Ippen’s pilgrimage to various countries, and is also called Ippen’s younger brother. According to “Mia Jojin Gyojo” (“Mia Jojin” is a sacred commandment), Kankikoji Temple was established in Yawata, Tsuzuki-gun (currently Yawata City, Kyoto Prefecture) in 1291. It is said that it was built. This place near Iwashimizu Hachimangu was chosen as the temple ground because of the belief that the main Buddha of Hachiman God was Amida Nyorai. The fact that Ippen devoted himself to Hachiman God and visited Iwashimizu Hachimangu in Koan 9 (1286) can be seen in “Ippen Jojin Eden” Vol. 9.

A few years later, in the first year of Shoan (1299), the temple was moved to the former site of the left minister, Minamoto no Toru (Rokujo Kawarain) in Rokujo Higashidoin (currently Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City) under the patronage of Kanpaku Kujo Tadashi. At the same time, in the 5th year of Choho (1003), the former residence of Sugawara no Koreyoshi (Michizane Sugawara’s father) Sugawara-in (currently Horimatsu-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto) was merged with Kikiji Temple, which had been relocated to this area. The guardian shrine Tenmangu (later Nishiki Tenmangu) was also used as the guardian shrine. At this time, the temple name was changed to Kankikoji Temple, and it came to be called “Rokujo Dojo” from its location.

Origami Inari Shrine
Origami Inari Shrine is a shrine located in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrine is a village shrine. It was founded in 711 (4th year of Wado), and at the same time that Inari God descended on the three peaks of Mt. Nishino, it is said that it also descended on the Inari mound in the shrine precincts, because it is located in the depths of Mt. Inari. It is said that it was built as the inner shrine of Fushimi Inari Shrine. When Emperor Komei was enthroned at the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, many of the lady-in-waiters who served on his side fell ill and the emperor’s coronation was threatened. The lady-in-waiting was miraculously recovered by praying at the shrine, and Emperor Komei dedicated “long-lived chopsticks” to the shrine so that the lady-in-waiters would continue to work energetically.

Since then, Origami Inari Shrine has been worshiped by women as a “guardian deity of working women”, praying for business prosperity, and it is said that Morgan Oyuki, a geisha who married J.P. Morgan’s nephew, also deeply worshiped. There is.

Nakatomi Shrine
Nakatomi Shrine is located in Nishinoyama Nakatomi Town. It is officially called Ninomiya. Yamashina Shrine was called Ichinomiya. Currently, it is the Otabisho of Yamashina Shrine.

Hinata Daijingu
Himukai-Daijingu is a shrine located on Mt. Shinmei along Sanjo-dori in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City. It is a small shrine in Shikinai, and the old shrine is a village shrine. Also known as “Ise in Kyoto”. According to the company’s biography, it was built by transferring the spirit from the god of Takachiho’s mine in Tsukushi Hyuga at the reign of the 23rd Emperor Kenzo. In “Uji-gun Scenic Beauty Magazine” and “Kyoto Prefecture Yamashina-cho Magazine”, “Yamashiro Kuni Uji-gun Hinata Shrine” is listed in the Enki-shiki Shinto shrine, but “Yamashiro Scenic Beauty Magazine”, “Yamashiro Shi”, It is different from Nobutomo Ban’s “Shinmeicho Kosho”.

The shrine and other buildings were burned down by the Onin War, and the rituals were temporarily cut off. It was rebuilt in the old shrine by a volunteer in the early Edo period and became famous as a shrine for praying for traffic. It becomes a village shrine in the modern system of shrines. After the war, along with some private shrines in Kyoto city, including village shrines, it came to be included in the shrine main religion instead of the shrine main office.

Moroha Shrine
Moroha Shrine is a shrine located in Shinomiya, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrine is a village shrine. Known as the Four Palaces. It is enshrined in the mountains at the western end of Shinomiya Village, Uji County. Moroha Shrine is the “fourth shrine” in Yamashiro, Uji-gun, Yamashiro Province, and there is a theory that Moroha Shrine is the origin of the place name Shinomiya Village. This area has long been a key point that has been the gateway to Kyoto, and is close to the current Keihan-Keishin Line Shinomiya Station, which has many historical sites of Saneyasu-shinno. The Biwa stone in the precincts of Moroha Shrine is also said to have originated from Saneyasu-shinno. It is a local god of the three districts of Shinomiya, Anshu, and Takehana.

It is said that the shrine was built in the 4th year of Emperor Seiwa’s reign (862), but the details are unknown. It used to be called the Great Myojin of Tael, but eventually “Tael” was changed to “Moroba”. The shrine was destroyed by the Onin War (1467-1477). The shrine, which was rebuilt after the Onin War, was hit by a fire in the first year of Meiwa (1764), at which time most of the old records were burned down. It is said that it was reconstructed in 1765 (Meiwa 2), but it also suffered a fire during the Tenmei era (1781-1789). The current shrine was built in the middle of the 19th century. In August 1873 (Meiji 6), it was listed as a village shrine, and in January 1883 (Meiji 16) it was promoted to a village shrine.

Yamashina Shrine
Yamashina Shrine is a shrine located in Nishinoyama Iwagatani-cho, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is a shrine (Meishin Taisha), and the old shrine is a village shrine. According to the company’s biography, it was founded in 897 by the decree of Emperor Uda. It is said that he was the ancestor of Mr. Miyamichi, a local lord.

In the “Enki-shiki” Shinto shrine, which was established for 5 years (927), two seats are listed in the Meishin Taisha Shrine as “Yamashina Shrine Niza Namimeijin Dai Monthly Niiname” in Uji-gun, Yamashiro Province. At the festival and Niiname-no-Matsuri, it is stated that they will be kept in the coin. Also, in “Fuso Ryakuki”, it seems that the shinkai of “Yamadai Okami” was promoted to the fourth rank in the 6th year of extension (928). In the Edo period, it was called “Nishiiwaya Daimeijin” or “Ichinomiya”. After the Meiji Restoration, the company name was changed to the current “Yamashina Shrine”. In 1873, it was listed as a village shrine under the modern system of shrines.

Land of Meishin groundbreaking
The place of construction of Meishin is a stone monument in front of Kyoto Municipal Ono Elementary School in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. This is the place where the groundbreaking ceremony for the Meishin Expressway, Japan’s first expressway, was held on October 19, 1958. The original monument was installed in the median strip in 1958, but on July 16, 2008, which is the 50th anniversary of the construction and the 45th anniversary of the opening of the Ritto IC-Amagasaki IC, it will be visible to local residents and the general public. , A duplicate stone monument was set up along the side road on the south side (down line side). The inscription states that Kishi Michizo, the first president of the Japan Highway Public Corporation, has struck the area. In the Katsura River parking area on the up line, there is also a sign that says “The construction site is near Yamashina.”

The Meishin Expressway was constructed along the old Tokaido Main Line from the vicinity of Otani in Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture to the vicinity of Fushimi Ward in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. This is the place where the old Yamashina station was located from 1880 to 1921, and the monument of “Old Tokaido Line Yamashina station ruins” is also built next to the duplicate monument. Near the stone monument on the main highway, there is a huge gate-shaped wide-area information board from the Japan Highway Public Corporation era, the inside is the abbreviation “JH” established at the end of the Japan Highway Public Corporation era, and the outside is “Meishin”. “Is written.

Cultural tradition

Kyo ware (Kiyomizu ware)
The “Shimizu-yaki housing complex cooperative” was established in 1961, and many contractors moved to the Shimizu-yaki housing complex built in Kawada Umegaya from around 1968 from the vicinity of Kiyomizu-dera and Sennyuji-ji in Higashiyama Ward. The “Pottery Festival” held from July 1975 was known as a summer tradition along with the Pottery Festival held in Gojozaka, but it was canceled in the 2010s, and the pottery market has been held in the fall since before. It is held as “Kiyomizu Yaki no Sato Matsuri” in “Ceramic Festival”.

Natural space

Yamashina Basin
The Yamashina Basin is a basin that mainly covers the Yamashina Ward of Kyoto City and the Daigo District of Fushimi Ward. It has the Kyoto basin just to the west and has a relationship like a twin basin. A part of the eastern side of the basin (Oiwake, east of Higechaya Oiwake) belongs to Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture. It borders Otowayama in the east, Hiei in the north, Higashiyama in Kyoto in the west, and the Yamashina River in the south toward Rokujizo in Uji City.

In recent years, housing development has progressed to the edges of mountains in various directions. The Tokaido Shinkansen and the Meishin Expressway run through this basin from east to west. From Yamashina to the south of Daigo and Ishida, the Kyoto Municipal Subway Tozai Line and the Kyoto Outer Ring Line are the north-south axes. Due to the terrain separated from the Kyoto basin, it is generally difficult for radio waves from stations in Osaka to reach from Mt. Ikoma, and it is covered by the Kyoto Yamashina TV relay station in Yamashina Ward.

Otowayama is a mountain located on the border between Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture and Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture, and is the highest peak in Yamashina Ward. The altitude is 593.2 m. The ridgeline connecting north and south on the east side of the summit forms the prefectural border, and the vicinity of the summit belongs to Kyoto Prefecture. The third triangulation station is also located in Yamashina Ward. It is located in the east of the Yamashina basin and in the southwest of Lake Biwa, with Osakayama in the north and Daigo mountains in the south.

Since it formed the border between Yamashiro and Omi, the mountains with Osakayama have long been a key point of transportation. Hogonji Temple (Ushiosan Kannon) was built on Mt. Ushiosan, which is a branch of Mt. Otowa, and as the belief in the temple spread, Mt. Otowa became known as a famous place. Many poets such as Ki no Tsurayuki and Ariwara no Motokata sing Otowayama as a Utamakura. Of the three “Otowa Waterfalls” located in Kyoto, “Ushio Otowa” is compared to the Yamashina Otowa River Waterfall that runs on the west side of Mt. Otowayama.

According to “Shinshu Fushi”, it was also called Koyama around the Edo period. The name of the triangulation point is “Koyama” in “Notes of points”. In modern times, the Tokai Nature Trail passes through the mountains, and the view from the summit is good, so there are many hikers throughout the year. Mountain trails include climbing from Ishiyamadera on the Otsu city side via the Tokai Nature Trail, climbing from the Yamashina Basin side via Ushio Kannon, and climbing from the Osakayama side via the Tokai Nature Trail.