Stredoslovenská galéria (Central Slovakian Gallery) is located in the center of Banská Bystrica, Slovakia and it´s regional gallery with a program focusing on presentation, research and the creation of collections of modern and contemporary art.
Stredoslovenská gallery was founded in 1956 by the separation from the Regional Studies museum as Regional Gallery.
In current professional competence gallery emphasizes on research, exhibition, creation of collection and educational activities. From the late 60s of the 20th century, Gallery is specialized in research and presentation of graphic arts. Graphic arts of 2nd half of the 20th century in Slovakia is represented in the collection of gallery in almost complex representation.
Gallery exhibitions is carried out in three separate buildings located in the center of Banská Bystrica. Temporary exhibitions are prepared in the former town hall Praetorium and in Bethlen´s House and permanent exhibition is located in Villa of Dominik Skutecký, which was opened to the public in 1994 in original family villa artist.
Activities in the field of gallery education have systematically elaborated structure of collaboration with public and visitors. They realize by the form of lecturers, animation programs, workshops and other specialized programs, as well as publishing edit materials.
In addition to the exhibition activities, Stredoslovenská galéria dedicates to creating and supporting a variety of programs representing various types of art such as the current poetry, prose, dance, music and film. In organizing these programs Gallery has been cooperating with residents’ association ars_ literature ( author readings Anasoft litera with current writers ) and residents’ association Laputa (international multimedia festival Intermedia.bb ).
Stredoslovenská Gallery in Banska Bystrica is the regional gallery with a program focusing on presentation, research and creation of collections of modern and contemporary art. The gallery and a permanent exhibition Dominica Skuteckého founded in the year of 1956.
Since its inception in 1956 at the Regional Museum of Natural History had several administrators. Until 2007 operated under the name of the State Gallery in Banska Bystrica. Since then it is the responsibility of the Banská Bystrica self-governing region. The permanent exhibition Dominica Skuteckého runs from February 1994 exhibition of 50 works by the artist of Slovak 19th and 20th centuries. Other exhibitions include Architecture of Slovakia before and after 1989 in cooperation with the Association of Architects of Slovakia sneak 20 years of photography at Academy of Fine Arts, exhibition of postgraduate students of the Faculty of Fine Arts in Banska Bystrica – Roman Rembovský, Juraj Valica and others. Gallery along with the city of Banska Bystrica and the guarantor of the Art Academy also organized the biennial competition LOGO 2010 Design and Journey to the land of marvelous – Slovak theater for children by children’s theater. Gallery also hosts traveling exhibitions of Slovak and foreign galleries.
Central Slovak Gallery also offers a library and reading room with access to monographs, catalogs and professional publications on art in Slovakia and abroad. The gallery is also used for lectures, seminars and can also be rented.