Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kinki Region, Japan

Sakyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. Located in the northeastern part of Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. “Sakyo” means the emperor’s whereabouts, that is, the left side when viewed from the Imperial Palace. The emperor was sitting on the high thrones facing south, so the left is east. Therefore, it is called Sakyo even though it is on the right on the modern map with the north facing up. Originally, Sakyo was the eastern side of Heiankyo (Luoyang or Rakuchu), but Sakyo Ward, which was born as an administrative district of Kyoto City, corresponds to the Rakuto (Rakutou) area on the left bank of the Kamo River. Currently, due to the subsequent consolidation of municipalities, it has become quite large, centered on the former Atago-gun area on the outer edge (until Ukyo Ward merged with the former Keihoku Town, it has the largest area of ​​all 11 wards in Kyoto City. The area of ​​this ward alone is larger than the entire city of Osaka).

Famous temples and shrines include Higashiyama Jishoji Temple (Ginkakuji Temple), Nanzenji Temple, Shimogamo Shrine, and Heian Shrine. In the north, there are Kurama-dera Temple, Kibune Shrine, Sanzen-in Temple, Tomomi Iwakura’s imprisonment, and Shugakuin Imperial Villa. In the past, a woman selling wild plants called Oharame from Yase and Ohara sometimes came to the peddler. In Kitashirakawa, there was a Shirakawa woman whose livelihood was a flower peddler, but it seems that she is no longer alive. There is also a special product called Shirakawa sand in the mountains of Kitashirakawa.

The old government building was built at 1 Yoshidanakaadachi in 1931, but due to its deterioration and becoming too small, it was relocated to the current location, which will be the site of the former Kyoto Simple Insurance Hall, on May 22, 2011. It became. The Sakyo Ward Health Center, which was located separately at that time, is also moving into the new government building. The site of the old government building is the Higashi Ichijokan of Kyoto University.

There are many small shops, small bookstores, small coffee shops, and small grocery stores in the corners and alleys of the Sakyo district of Kyoto City, but each one seems to make you feel the vitality of Sakyo. Unique atmosphere to replace. There are many cultural facilities in the Sakazaki Sakyo area, surrounded by art galleries, concert halls, rabbit shrines and Heian shrines.

History
Established in 1929 (Showa 4) by separating from Kamigyo Ward. It occupies the northeastern part of Kyoto City, and the area is long from north to south. It borders Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture in the east, Higashiyama Ward and Yamashina Ward across Sanjo Dori in the south, and Nantan City and Takashima City in Shiga Prefecture in the north. Although not adjacent to each other, the northernmost part of the ward and Oi-cho, Oi-gun, Fukui Prefecture are only about 5 km apart (however, there is no direct road). In the southern part of the ward, streets such as Kawabata-dori, Higashioji-dori, and Shirakawa-dori run from north to south.

While the southern part of the ward is a residential area and a cultural area (the northern area such as the Iwakura area is designated as an urbanization control area, large-scale development such as high-rise buildings is restricted. Many fields remain), and the northern part of the ward is a mountainous area with a thriving forestry industry.

Districts
The Sakyo Ward Basic Plan divides the entire ward into four districts: northern, central north, central south, and southern. The northern district (or northern mountainous region) is a rural village in Kitayama. The central north district is a collection of small basins scattered north of the Kyoto basin. The central southern district is located on the northeastern corner of the Kyoto Basin, and was once a suburban rural area, but has become a residential area since modern times. The southern district is the eastern bank of the Kamogawa River, and has been closely related to central Kyoto since ancient times.

Some more detailed regional divisions are based on the former school district. The census tract is also mostly based on the former school district. In addition, except for a part of the southern part, the old village name and character name before the merger with Kyoto City remain as a part of the nominal town name, and it may be classified based on this.

Yoshida district
Yoshida is a place name (wide area place name) in the southern part of Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Here, it is used as a general term for each town in Sakyo Ward, which is named “Yoshida”. Located in the southern part of Sakyo Ward, it consists of a hilly area centered on Mt. Yoshida (Kaguraoka) and the plateau area on the west side. It borders Tanaka / Kitashirakawa across Imadegawa-dori in the north, Jodoji / Kurodanicho (Konkai-Komyoji (Kurodani-ji)) in the east, Okazaki / Seigoin in the south, and Kamogawa in the west.

The boundary area corresponds to the former village area of ​​Yoshida-mura, Otagi-gun, Kyoto Prefecture (according to the county-ward, town-village organization law), and the village area of ​​Yoshida-cho, Kamigyo-ku after the transfer to Kyoto City (1889). Since a large part of this area is occupied by the green areas of Mt. Yoshida centered on Yoshida Shrine and the Yoshida Campus of Kyoto University, students are located in a residential area as well as many set meal shops and coffee shops for students. It also has the character of a city. Except for some, the elementary school district belongs to the 4th Kinrin school district, and the junior high school district belongs to the Konoe school district.

Kitashirakawa district
Kitashirakawa is an area (wide area name) located in the eastern part of Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Here, “Kitashirakawa” in Sakyo Ward is used as a general term for the districts that bear the name of the town. It once prospered as a highway village on the Shigagoe-michi (Yamanaka-etsu), and from the Meiji era, the industry using the Shirakawa water wheel also developed. Granite and its processed products such as Shirakawa stone and Shirakawa sand are famous as other special products. In the past, flower cultivation and peddling were also popular, and the peddler was called “Shirakawa Onna”. Currently, it has a strong taste as a high-class residential area.

Located in the east of Sakyo Ward, the area is surrounded by Higashiyama on the east, Takahara-dori on the west, Imadegawa-dori on the south, and Higashikuramaguchi-dori on the north. It is located in Yoshida and Tanaka, where Kyoto University is located in the west, Jodoji in the south, Ichijoji in the north, Ginkakuji-maecho and Ginkakuji-cho in the east, and Otsu City in Shiga Prefecture because it is located on the prefectural border. Strictly speaking, it is adjacent to Shishigatani in the southeastern part of Mt. Nyoigatake. It is the former Shirakawa village in Otagi district.

The southern and western parts are the Taniguchi alluvial fan called “Kitashirakawa alluvial fan” by Shirakawa, which is mainly composed of biotite granite gravel. It is the largest one at the western foot of Higashiyama (Kyoto side), and the range is up to Higashioji Dori. In addition, it is speculated that the area around Oiwake Town was a low-lying area during the Jomon period.

The northeastern part of the area is a mountainous area along the Shirakawa River and the Shigagoe-Otsu Line (called Shigagoe-michi, Yamanaka-koshi, etc.) on Kyoto Prefectural Road and Shiga Prefectural Road 30, but the western and southern parts are flat land. It is an area that extends to the foot of Mt. Hiei and Mt. Enryakuji, and there is a mountain called Mt. Uryu (Uryuzan, Uryuyama, altitude 301m) in the area.

Since it is Rakuchu (outside Heiankyo), there are not many famous historic sites other than the Terukoin palace ruins, but Jomon period ruins, stone tools, and Jomon pottery have also been found, and the history as a place of residence. Is long. In addition, it is a suburb located at the eastern end of the Kyoto basin, and around the 1880s, going to Shijo and Teramachi Kyogoku was described as “going to Kyoto.”

As a special product, there is granitic white sand called Shirakawa sand, which is used for gardens. In the olden days, there was a culture of female peddling of flowers called “Shirakawame”.

Shimogamo district
Shimogamo is an area extending to the north of the confluence of the Kamo River and the Takano River in the northeastern part of the Kyoto Basin. It belongs to Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. The area where the Kamo clan lived before the capital of Japan moved to Heiankyo, and of the Kamo Betsurai Shrine (Kamigamo Shrine) and Kamo Goso Shrine (Shimogamo Shrine), which were the gods of Kamo, Shimogamo Shrine It came to be called Shimogamo, which refers to the area around. It was also called Shimoga Shigeru in the Middle Ages. Since it was the territory of Kamigamo and Shimogamo Shrines, no Buddhist temple was built until modern times, and it was a peaceful rural area.

After the Edo period, it belonged to Shimogamo Village, Tatekura Township, Otagi District, but was incorporated into Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City in 1918 (Taisho 7). Since Kamigyo Ward was later divided, it belonged to Sakyo Ward. In 1934 (Showa 9), Kitaoji-dori was constructed and the Kyoto streetcar Kitaoji line was opened to Takano, improving transportation convenience, which led to the development of residential areas. From the Taisho era to the early Showa era, Kyoto Prefectural Botanical Gardens, Kyoto Prefectural University, Rakuhoku High School, Kyoto Prefectural Library and Archives, Shochiku Kyoto Studio (later relocated to Taihata), etc. were built and become a cultural district.

Iwakura district
Iwakura is an area located in the southern part of Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Here, “Iwakura” is used as a wide-area place name that includes each town in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. Although it is located in the southern half of Sakyo Ward, which is dominated by forests, it is a suburb area slightly northeast of central Kyoto (city area). In the area centered on the Iwakura basin surrounded by the Wakatan Mountains in the north and the Matsugasaki hills in the south (hills around Takaragaike), a small urban area formed along railways and major roads is in the center of the basin. It has become. The Iwakura River runs through the central part of the basin, the Nagashiro River runs through the west, the Hase River runs through the eastern part, and the Hanazono River runs through the southern part. The combined Iwakura River enters the Kamikoya area, which borders the east, and joins the Takano River.

Due to the rapid development after World War II, it became known as a suburban residential area and educational district, but since most of it is a first-class low-rise residential area, agricultural land and forest areas are also known. The area around the city is still rich. The boundary area almost coincides with the former Iwakura Village, Otagi District, Kyoto Prefecture.

Ohara district
Ohara is a place name located in the northeastern part of Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is located at the northwestern foot of Mt. Hiei, in the upper reaches of the Takano River. The Ohara basin is surrounded by mountains on all sides, and the Wakasa Highway runs along the Takano River. Ohara Village once belonged to Otagi-gun, Yamashiro Province, and was also called “Yase Ohara” together with Yase next to the south. In ancient times, it was read as “Ohara” and was also written as Ohara.

Historic sites

Jishoji Temple
Jishoji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Rinzai sect Sokokuji school located in Ginkakuji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is the outer tower of Sokokuji Temple. It has architecture and gardens that represent the Higashiyama culture that prospered in the late Muromachi period. The Kannonden, which is a tower building built by Yoshimasa Ashikaga, the 8th general of the Muromachi Shogunate, to imitate the Kinkakuji Temple, and the entire temple including the Kannonden is the Ginkakuji Temple. Known as. It is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as part of the “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”. Ginkaku is called the three Kaku of Kyoto together with Kinkaku and Hiunkaku (in the precincts of Nishi Honganji Temple).

The mountain number is Higashiyama. It is said that Kaisan (founder) is Yoshimasa Ashikaga and Kaisan is Muso Soseki. Muso Soseki is actually a person (deceased) about a century before the founding of this temple, and such an example is called Kanjo Kaisan.

Heian Shrine
Heian Shrine is a shrine located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrines are shrines and shrines. Currently, it is a separate table shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. The shrine is a restored version of the Chodoin (Hachishoin), which is the main office of the Heiankyo palace, reduced (about 5/8 of the length). The front gate, which is characterized by a large red glowing vermilion, imitates the Otenmon gate of Chodoin. The left and right shrines on the inside are reproductions of the morning assembly hall. The outer worship hall imitates the main hall of Chodoin, Daigokuden (with Soryu and Hakutora on the left and right). Completed in 1895 (Meiji 28), the main shrine was destroyed by a fire that broke out before dawn on January 1, 1976 (Showa 51). Rebuilt in the spring of 1980.

Nanzenji Temple
Nanzenji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Nanzenji school in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain name is Zuiryuzan, and the temple name is called Taihei Kokoku Nanzenji Temple. Kaisan is Mukan Fumon (Daimei Kokushi). Kaisan is Emperor Kameyama. It is the first Zen temple in Japan and is a specially treated temple located on Kyoto Gozan and Kamakura Gozan, and has the highest prestige of all Zen temples in Japan.

Yoshida Shrine
Yoshida Shrine is a shrine located on Mt. Yoshida in Yoshida Kaguraoka Town, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. One of the 22 companies (Shimohachi). The old shrine was a shrine shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. Officially, it is the last shrine of Yoshida Shrine called “Saisho Daigengu”. In modern times, it is treated as one of several end shrines, but until the Meiji era, it was the center of worship at Yoshida Shrine.

Yoshida Kanetomo was the origin of all things in the universe during the civilization year, and when he thought of Yoshida Shinto (the only Shinto) that enshrines the god of the universe, Yoshida Shinto (the only Shinto), he went to Muromachi. In his own residence, he built a shrine, Omotonomiya, which enshrines the god of the universe, and began to perform the ritual. Finally, Kanetomo tried to make Yoshida Shinto visible and spread it to the general public, and began to think about putting shrines nationwide, including Ise Jingu, under the control of Yoshida Shrine.

Kamo Goso Shrine
Kamo Goso Shrine is a shrine located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. Known as Shimogamo Shrine. One of Shikinaisha (Meishin Taisha), Yamashiro Kuniichinomiya, and Nijunisha (upper seven companies). The old shrine was a large shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. It is registered as one of the “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto” as a World Heritage Site of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

It is a shrine that enshrines Kamo’s deity along with Kamo Betsurai Shrine (Kamigamo Shrine), and both companies are collectively called Kamo Shrine (Kamo Shrine). Famous for the Kamo Festival (commonly known as Aoi Matsuri) held by both companies. The main shrine is called “Kamo Goso Shrine” because it enshrines Tamayorihime, the mother of Kamo Betsuraimei (Kamigamo Shrine deity) on the right, and Kamo Taketsunomi, the father of Tamayorihime, on the left. Golden Kite and Yatagarasu are incarnations of Kamo Taketsunomi.

There are Tadasu no Mori, Mitarai River, and Mitarashi Pond in the precincts. The shrine is arranged in a straight line with the approach that extends straight from the confluence of the two rivers and the temple in front of it. The water of Mitaraisha is the holy water of Aoi Matsuri’s Saio era.

Shisen-do
Shisen-do is a mountain lodge of Jozan Ishikawa, a literary man in the early Edo period, located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. It is designated as a national historic site. Currently, it is also a temple of the Soto sect and is called Jozan-ji. It was built in Kanei 18 (1641) at the age of 59, and Jozan lived a life of poetry here until his death in Kanbun 12 (1672) at the age of 90. If you go through the gate called “Koari-dong” and follow the road in the bamboo forest, you will find the gate called “Ouumeseki” on the stone steps, and the entrance to Shisendo. Above the entrance is a three-story “Hougetsuro”, on the right side (west side) is a tiled Buddha room and six tatami mats, eight tatami mats, and on the left side is a four and a half tatami mat room “Shisen no Ma” There are many rooms such as “ma”. Of these, only the part between Li Bai and Shisen was built at the time of Jozan, and the others were renovated in posterity.

The garden designed by Jozan himself, who is also a master of gardening, can be enjoyed in each season, and is especially famous for the Satsuki in spring (late May) and the autumn leaves in autumn (late November), which is crowded with tourists. One of the highlights is the white sasanqua flowers with wide branches in front of the rim. The sound that occasionally reverberates due to a mechanism called Shishi-odoshi, which is generally known as Shishi-odoshi, is a practical accent to prevent the invasion of deer and wild boar, and it is said that Jozan also liked it.

Manshuin
Manshuin is a temple of the Tendai sect in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. The principal image is Amida Nyorai, and Kaisan is a correction. It is a monzeki temple (a special temple where the children of the royal family and aristocrats have lived for generations), which is also called the Takeuchi monzeki. It is counted as one. It has many cultural assets, including the national treasure Huang Fudo image and Manshuin Monzeki Kokin Wakashū. It is a famous place for autumn leaves. Like other Tendaimonzeki temples, it originates from a small temple that was created on Mt. Hiei during the Saicho period (767-822). After that, around the 12th century, the headquarters was moved to Kitayama (currently near Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, near Kaenji Temple), and after moving to Rakuchu (currently near Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City, near Sokokuji Temple), it is clear that it moved to the present location. It is the second year of the calendar (1656).

The origin of the temple is the Ichibo, which was run on Mt. Hiei by Saicho Daishi during the Enryaku era (782-806). After working for Ennin and Yasue, he moved to Chatan, the west tower of the three towers of Mt. Hiei, during the Tenryaku era (947-957), and was called Higashi-Obo. At Manshuin, this correction is the first generation.

Shugakuin Imperial Villa
Shugakuin Imperial Villa is an imperial facility located at the foot of Mt. Hiei in Shugakuin, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. It is a detached palace (a villa of the emperor and the emperor established in addition to the Imperial Palace) built in the middle of the 17th century (1653 (2nd year of acceptance) -1655 (4th year of acceptance)) under the direction of Emperor Gomizuo. It consists of a vast garden centered on an artificial pond that dammed the Tanigawa River and related buildings. Along with Katsura Imperial Villa and Sento Imperial Palace, it shows the goal of the aesthetic sense of dynasty culture. It is managed by the Kyoto Office of the Imperial Household Agency. The Shugakuin Imperial Villa consists of three gardens called Kami-Ochaya, Naka-Ochaya, and Shimo-Ochaya, with an area of ​​54. It covers 10,000 square meters.

A field spreads between each teahouse, and a narrow pine tree-lined road connects each teahouse. The upper and lower teahouses are detached palace built by the Edo Shogunate from 1655 (the first year of the Meireki calendar) to 1659 (the second year of the Manji era) under the direction of Emperor Gomizuo (the 108th emperor). It is said that Emperor Gomizuo disguised himself as a maid, rode on a litter, visited the palace under construction and gave instructions for construction, but the truth is uncertain.

The upper and lower teahouses were under the jurisdiction of the Imperial Household Ministry in 1884 (Meiji 17). On the other hand, Nakao Chaya was built around the same time as the Imperial Palace of Emperor Gomizuo, and was transferred to Shugakuin Imperial Villa in 1885 (Meiji 18). After World War II, the Shugakuin Imperial Villa, like the Kyoto Imperial Palace and Katsura Imperial Villa, was positioned as “imperial property” (owned by the national government) and is managed by the Imperial Household Agency. For the tour, it is necessary to apply in advance to the Kyoto Office of the Imperial Household Agency by mail, direct application, or via the Internet to obtain permission. In addition, it is not possible to visit people under the age of 18.

In addition, “Shugakuin” of Shugakuin Imperial Villa does not mean the name of the Imperial Villa, but the old name of the place where the Imperial Villa is located, that is, Shugakuin Village (including the current Shugakuin in Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City). Is derived from a temple that was once located in this neighborhood.

Akayama Zenin
Sekizan Zenin is a temple of the Tendai sect in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. One of the annexes (towers) of Enryakuji Temple. The principal image is Mr. Taizan (Akayama Daimeijin). Since it is in the direction of Omotemon (Tohoku) when viewed from the Kyoto Imperial Palace, it has been worshiped since ancient times as a god of protection. On the roof of the worship hall, a monkey with money and a bell is enshrined in correspondence with the monkey in the northeastern corner of the Imperial Palace, Sarugatsuji. It is also a famous spot for autumn leaves. In addition, it has been designated as the “Shugakuin Historical Climate Special Preservation Area”.

The wound was founded in Niwa 4 (888). The name “Akayama” comes from Ennin, a longevity monk. Ennin applied for the construction of a Zen temple in honor of Chishan Fahua Temple, where he stayed in Deng, but died unsuccessfully. Based on that will, An’e built Akayama Shrine (later renamed Sekizan Zenin) by soliciting Taoist god Taizanfu (Akayama Daimeijin) from Akayama, Tang. However, Sthiramati died in the 10th year of Jōgan (868), and the founding of the 4th year of Niwa (888) remains questionable. In the Sennichi Kaiho line of Mt. Hiei Enryakuji Temple, there is a rough line called “Akayama penance” that climbs up and down Mt. Hiei from Mt. Hiei for 100 days. This is to go up and down the mountain road, which is double the road of Mt. Hiei, every day in order to offer flowers to Akayama Daimeijin.

Takaragaike Park
Takaragaike Park is a park located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The park is adjacent to the Kyoto International Conference Center and the Grand Prince Hotel Kyoto, centered on Takaragaike. Takaragaike is an artificial pond that was created as an agricultural pond during the Horeki year of the Edo period, and was dammed by building a bank on the east side of Fukada, where the spring water originally existed. Expansion work was carried out in 1855 (2nd year of Ansei), and it became the current size. Until the Meiji era, it was simply called Tameike, Kitaura Tameike, etc., and the name of Takaraike appeared for the first time in a document issued in 1911 (Meiji 44). The name of the pond is derived from the fact that the pond in Matsugasaki, which was suffering from water shortage, seemed to be a treasure, the shape of the pond was likened to money in the shape of a weight, and it was made during the Horeki year. There are various theories.

Takara-gaike Park was created to use this pond as a place of relaxation for the citizens. The main part where you can enjoy the promenade and boat play with Mt. Hiei and the Kyoto International Conference Center as a borrowed landscape, the sports park on the side of Matsugasaki Station on the municipal subway, and the “Children’s Paradise” with play facilities for children. It consists of the “Ikoi no Mori” part that connects children’s paradises. Designed to be a flower spot throughout the four seasons, it is extremely crowded, especially during the spring cherry blossom season. There is also a bird watching facility, and it is full of nature that you can’t imagine in Kyoto city. Also, on the promenade around the pond, there are many people who go jogging or marathon events at municipal elementary and junior high schools in the vicinity.

Kyoto International Conference Center
The Kyoto International Conference Center is one of Japan’s international conference facilities. Located in Iwakura, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, Takara-gaike Park is adjacent. It is operated by the Kyoto International Conference Center. It was the first national conference facility in Japan, where the Kyoto Protocol was adopted. The site area is 156,000m2. The building is a masterpiece designed by Japanese architect Sachio Otani.

Jisso-in
Jisso-in is a Buddhist temple located in Iwakura, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. The sect is independent, and Kaisan is Joki. The principal image is Fudo Myo (a wooden statue made in the Kamakura period). It is one of the monzeki temples. Also known as the Iwakura Jisso-in Gate Ruins. It used to be one of the three monzekis of the Tendaijimon sect (Tendaijimon sect). It was founded by the Shizuki monk in the first year of Kangi (1229) during the Kamakura period. Initially located in Murasakino, Kita-ku, Kyoto, it will be relocated to Imadegawa-dori, Kamigyo-ku (currently Jissoin-cho). After that, in order to escape the Onin War, in 1474, he moved to the present location, which is the site of the Totosei Kongoin Temple, which is adjacent to Daiunji Temple, the annex of Sonojoji Temple. However, by the end of the Muromachi period, many buildings were destroyed by fire.

Yoshiaki, a child of Yoshiaki Ashikaga, who was a general of the Muromachi Shogunate in the early Edo period, and Yoshitaka, a child of Souko Furuichi, entered the temple and became the gatekeeper. In addition, his younger brother, Tsuneson, was the lord of Enman-in Monzeki, and his mother, Tatsuko, became the back shrine of Emperor Goyosei after his death, and later became the lord of the Shogoin sect, Koho Hosshinnō. (Teramon sect) All of the Sanmon ruins are controlled by this brother as the master.

Sanzenin
Sanzen-in is a temple of the Tendai sect in Ohara, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. Also known as the Sanzenin Monzeki. The mountain number is Gyozan. The principal image is Yakushi Nyorai. It is located in the mountains northeast of the city of Kyoto, in the village of Ohara, which was once known as a retreat for nobles and Buddhist practitioners. Along with Seiren-in and Myoho-in, it is one of the three monzeki temples of the Tendai sect.

The precincts of Sanzen-in are sandwiched between two rivers, the Lu River, which flows south of the precincts, and the Ritsukawa River, which flows north. The names of Rokawa and Ritsukawa are derived from the temperaments “Ro” and “Ritsu” in the statement (Buddhist vocal music). The Suzakumon Gate, which is the main gate of Ojo Gokurakuin, is on the south side of the precincts, and the Gotenmon Gate is on the west side, but the entrance to the entrance is the latter. The palace gate is in the form of a medicinal gate, with stone walls and white walls on both sides, and is a solid gate suitable for the entrance to the government office, which is the palace of the Hosshinno. The stone wall mentioned above was built by Anō-shu of Omi Sakamoto, who is famous for his castle.

Entering from the gate and proceeding along the viewing route from the main entrance, there is a guest hall, a shrine hall, and a garden surrounding them, and the Ojo Gokurakuin is built in the garden. There are several Warabe Jizo in the garden. If you walk from there, Benzaiten is enshrined, and if you go up the stone steps to Oku-no-in, you will find Konjiki Fudodo, and if you go up further, you will find Kannon-do. In addition, along the Ritsukawa, there is the Amida stone Buddha (charcoal-selling stone Buddha), and on the south side of the Gotenmon gate, there is the Ennyubo, a sutra-copying place, and the Ennyubo, a storage and exhibition facility. ..

Jakkoin
Jakko-in is a temple of the Tendai sect in Ohara, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, and is a temple. The mountain number is called Seikayama. The temple name is Tamsenji. The principal image is Jizo Bodhisattva. Kaisan (founder) is said to be Prince Shotoku. Taira no Kiyomori’s daughter, Taira no Tokuko, retired after the fall of the Heike, and is known as a temple associated with The Tale of the Heike. Nothing is clear about the creation of Jakko-in. It is said that Prince Shotoku was founded in the 2nd year of Empress Suiko (594) for the bodhi of his father, Emperor Yōmei. The original name is said to be the first chief priest, Tamakihime (Keizen-nun), who was the nanny of the prince at Tamsenji Temple. However, in the Edo period geography, Kukai Kaisei theory (“Miyako Meisho Zue”) and the theory that Ryonin, the founder of Yuzu Nembutsu, who retired to Ohara at the end of the 11th century and completed the Ohara statement, opened (“Kyoha Habutai”). 』) There is also. At present, Jakko-in is known as a place related to the retreat of Kenreimon-in, which appears in “The Tale of the Heike”, rather than the legend of Sosou.

Currently, since there is no historical material at this hospital and details are unknown, the second priest is Awauchi Samurai (Shinsai’s breather, Shodo Hioka Nun) who left the house after serving Kenreimonin and was the priest of this hospital. .. Samurai Awauchi is said to be a model of “Oharame”.

Amida Temple
Amida-ji is a temple of the Jodo sect located in Kochidani, located on the north side of Ohara, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Komei. The name of the institute is Hokokuin. Also known as Kochidani Amida Temple.

In March 1609 (Keicho 14th year), it is a Nembutsu dojo that was opened by a senior priest. The ammunition is from Owari Province, and after leaving the house at the age of 9, he traveled to various countries and trained before coming to this area. On May 23, 1613 (Keicho 18), four years after the opening of the mountain, the bullet vow was shown at the temple at the age of 62. It is said that the swearing was made into a resin and then entered the sarcophagus and became a Buddha. The remains of a bullet vow (Sokushinbutsu) are enshrined in the sarcophagus inside the cave beside the main hall of the temple. It is said to be the southernmost and westernmost Sokushinbutsu in Japan, but it has not been released at all since it was placed in the current sarcophagus in the first year of the Meiji era. It is believed that the cause was poor preservation of the body, but the detailed reason is unknown. You can get to the sarcophagus very close.

Kurama Temple
Kurama-dera is a temple located in Kurama-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It belonged to the Tendai sect until 1949 (Showa 24), but since then it has become the head temple of Kurama Kokyo. The mountain number is Mt. Kurama. It is said that the mountain was opened by Jianzhen’s high-ranking younger brother, Jianzhen. The principal image is called “Sonten” in the temple. “Santen” is said to be the principal image of the three bodies of Bishamontenno, Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu, and Goho Maouson. It is located in the north of the Kyoto Basin and on the southern slope of Mt. Kurama, which retains a rich natural environment. Kurama is famous as a place where Ushiwakamaru (Minamoto no Yoshitsune) practiced, and is also known as Noh’s “Kurama Tengu”. It is the 19th bill place in 33 places in New Saigoku.

“Kurama-dera Engi” (Ambagaiji Engi), which is handed down to the temple, conveys the origin of the grass, and Jianzhen’s high-ranking younger brother, Kanrei, tied Kusuan in the first year of Houki (770) and enshrined Bishamonten. It’s called the beginning. Jianzhen was the youngest of the eight high-ranking disciples that Jianzhen brought from Tang. One night in Houki 3 (772), Reimu has a dream and is told that there is a sacred mountain to the north of Yamashiro Province. After asking for Sacred Mountain, Kanrei sees Hakuba with a treasure saddle on top of a mountain. That mountain was Mt. Kurama. Kanjo, who entered the mountain, was about to be killed by a female demon, but when he was afraid, a dead tree fell and the demon was crushed. The next morning, there was a statue of Bishamonten, and it is said that Kanrei built a temple to worship it. The story of this Kanrei does not look like any book other than “Kurama Kadoji Engi”, and I do not know how far it conveys historical facts. However, it is noteworthy that a monk in Nanto (Nara) was involved in the construction, as was the case with Kiyomizu-dera.

Other folklore can be seen in various books such as “Konjaku Monogatari Shu” and “Fuso Ryakuki”. According to it, in the 15th year of the Enryaku calendar (796), Fujiwara no Isendo, who was born in the Nanke Fujiwara family and served as the chief of the Toji temple, wanted to build a temple dedicated to the Kannon Bodhisattva, which he personally worships. According to Reimu’s announcement that I saw one night, when I arrived at Kuramayama after Hakuba, there was a small hall enshrining Bishamonten (probably built by the above-mentioned Kanrei). “I believe in Kannon, but it is Bishamonten that is enshrined here,” Iseto wondered.

However, a child appeared in the dream of the night and said, “Kannon and Bishamonten are actually one thing, only the names are different.” In this way, Isendo created a statue of Senju Kannon, enshrined it with Bishamonten, and built Kurama-dera Temple. This tradition is that the god of Kibune Shrine, which is close to the current Kurama-dera Temple, appears in the dream of Fujiwara no Isendo, who was in charge of building Toji Temple in the 15th year of Enryaku (796) in “Nihon Koki”, and builds Kurama-dera Temple. It is considered to be almost historical because it is written that it was enryaku.

Kibune Shrine
Kibune Shrine is a shrine located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. One of Shikinaisha (Meishin Taisha) and Nijunisha (Shimohachisha). The old shrine was a shrine shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. It is the head office of Kibune Shrine, which has about 450 companies nationwide. Unlike the area name Kibune, it is called “Kifune” because it is a water god.

Settled in a dense forest gorge between Mt. Kibune and Mt. Kurama. The Kibune River, which is located upstream of the Kamo River, flows in front of the company, and was thought to be the source of the Kamo River, which moistens the city of Kyoto. It has been worshiped as a god of prayer rain since ancient times, such as enshrining the god of water, the god of prayer, and being regarded as a troupe of the 85 seats of prayer rain in ancient times. As a god of water, he is worshiped by people in the cooking and cooking industries and businesses dealing with water all over the country.

It is said that since ancient times, successive emperors have dedicated black horses during droughts and white horses during long rains to pray, and later said that instead of living horses, they dedicated “Itadate horses” colored on horse-shaped boards. Be done. Since this became the prototype of the current votive tablet, Kibune Shrine is said to be the “company of origin of votive tablets.” In addition, horse paintings on wood or paper have been used as substitutes, and in the Edo period, the custom of individuals dedicating small votive tablets to shrines became widespread.

Murin-an
Murin-an is the villa of Aritomo Yamagata and is the garden of Jihei Ogawa, the 7th generation. There are three Yamagata residences named “Murin-an”. The first Murin-an is the Soan in Shimonoseki, Choshu, the hometown of Yamagata. The origin of the name is that there is no neighbor in this grass. Or it may be in “The Analects”, “Virtue is inevitable,” and “Virtue is not lonely, but always next to it.”

The second Murin-an is a villa purchased in Nijo, Kiyamachi, Kyoto, and the third Murin-an is a villa built in front of the approach to Nanzenji Temple in Kyoto, which was also the setting for the “Murin-an Conference”. This section mainly describes this third Murin-an.

Zenrinji Temple
Zenrinji is the head temple of the Jodo sect Nishiyama Zenrinji school in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. Known by the popular name of Eikando. The mountain number is called Seishu Raigozan. Known as a famous spot for autumn leaves, it has long been called “Autumn is Momiji no Eikando”. It is also one of the three academic institutes (academic research institutes) in Kyoto, and has been active in academics since ancient times. The origin is that Shinsho Buddhist priest, a high-ranking younger brother of Kukai (Kobo Daishi), aspired to build a dojo of Mantra in the capital, and built a temple whose principal image is the Buddhist priests of the Buddhist priests. In the third year of Ninju (853), Shinsho bought the mountain lodge of the late Sekio Fujiwara, who was a poet and literary person, and decided to make it a temple. In Kyoto at that time, it was forbidden to build a private temple unnecessarily, and 10 years later, in the 5th year of Jōgan (863), the Emperor Seiwa gave him a royal license as a fixed-price temple and the temple name of “Zenrinji”. It became an official temple.

Zenrinji Temple, which originally started as a dojo for mantras, changed to a Nembutsu temple when the 7th priest, Yokan Ritsushi (1033-1111), was the founder of Chuko. Eikan was born as a child of Dr. Genkokukei. At the age of 11, he became a disciple of Zenrinji Temple (Prince Hanayama) and studied the Sanron sect of the six Nanto sects at Todaiji Temple. The Sanron sect has the idea of ​​the Pure Land Buddhism since Tomomitsu in the Nara period, but Yokan, who was impressed by the teachings of the Pure Land, eventually became an ardent Amida believer, and he became an indispensable Nembutsu in his daily routine.

It was in the 4th year of Enkyu (1072) that he returned to Zenrinji Temple after receiving the trace of his master’s view. Eikan recommended Nembutsu to the people, and also enshrined the Amida statue at Yakuoji Temple near Saidain in Higashi Gojo, and actively carried out charitable projects such as relief for the sick. Zenrinji is called Eikan-do because it was the place where this Eikan-do master lived. In addition, “Eikando” is read as “Eikando” in Kan-on reading, but “Eikando” by Eikando Ritsushi is read as “Yokan” in Go-on reading.

Kyoto Kaikan
ROHM Theater Kyoto is a concert hall located in Okazaki Saishoji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The official name is Kyoto Kaikan.

Owned by Kyoto City, designed by Kunio Maekawa at the time of opening. Opened in 1960 (Showa 35). Some renovations and renovations have been carried out since 2012. Along with that, the name was changed to the current name by naming rights, and it was reopened on January 10, 2016.

Shikofuchi Shrine
Shikofuchi Shrine is a shrine located in Kutanakano-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Also known as Shikofuchi Shrine. The old shrine is a village shrine. One of the seven Shikobuchi. The date of its creation is unknown, but there is a record that it was already enshrined in this area in the “Kuta □ (” Sou “ka) Tashiro Note” in the first year of Tenpuku (1233).

Cultural tradition

Kyoto City Museum of Art
The Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art is an art museum located in Okazaki Park in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Opened in 1933 (Showa 8). It was the second public art museum in Japan after the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum. It is one of the “Kyoto Museums for” consisting of four national and public museums and art galleries in Kyoto City.

The collection focuses on Japanese paintings, Western paintings, and craft works from the Meiji era to around 1990 (Heisei 2). Major exhibitions include permanent exhibitions that change the theme of these collections several times a year, various public exhibitions, and university graduation exhibitions. In addition, a large-scale exhibition sponsored by a newspaper company is the core of attracting customers.

Kyocera acquired the naming rights with the renewal in 2020, and has been using the name of Kyoto City Kyocera Museum since 2019 prior to the reopening on March 21, 2020 (Reiwa 2). It is different from the Kyocera Gallery (formerly known as the Kyocera Museum) at the Kyocera Headquarters in Fushimi Ward.

National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto
The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto is an art museum operated by the National Museum of Art, Kyoto, located in Okazaki Park in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto.

Focusing on the art of Kansai and West Japan, centering on Kyoto, while giving consideration to the entire history of modern Japanese art, we actively collect and display Japanese and Western paintings from the Kyoto art gallery, and crafts such as Kanjiro Kawai’s ceramics and dyeing and weaving. The collection of works is also substantial. The current building (new building) was designed by Pritzker Prize architect Fumihiko Maki and completed in 1986 (Showa 61).

Garden of Fine Arts Kyoto
The Garden of Fine Arts Kyoto Prefectural Ceramics is located in Shimogamo, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, and is an outdoor art museum that displays ancient and modern masterpieces transferred to ceramic plates. Porcelain panel paintings are made by transferring to a ceramic plate using photoengraving technology and firing it based on the positive film on which the original image was taken. Due to its nature, it does not discolor or corrode, so it can be stored for a long time even outdoors. Each picture is composed of multiple ceramic plates.

This is the world’s first art exhibition facility of this kind. Eight masterpieces from around the world have been selected for the paintings on display, four of which were originally created for the 1990 International Flower and Greenery Expo and are included in the pavilion “Garden of Fine Arts” designed by Tadao Ando. It was on display. The remaining 4 points were made for this facility. The production was done at the Shigaraki factory of Otsuka Omi Ceramics Co., Ltd. These porcelain panel paintings were donated to Kyoto Prefecture by Taichi Sakaiya, a director of Daikoku Denki, who was the owner, and Shinji Sakamori. The open-air building was completed in March 1994 by Tadao Ando’s design.

Kyoto Prefectural Library
The Kyoto Prefectural Library (Kyoto Furitsu Toshokan) is a public library of Kyoto Prefectural Government located in Okazaki Seikatsuji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its predecessor was Kyoto Shushoin, the first public library viewing facility in Japan, and it opened in 1909 (Meiji 42) in its current location, Okazaki. The building has a reinforced concrete structure and consists of 4 floors above ground and 2 floors below ground. The total floor area is 7,477 m2.

On the 1st floor, materials related to Kyoto, materials related to Japanese literature, large print books, and maps are arranged. In addition, there is a counter for user registration and lending / returning of books. The second floor is a multimedia reading room where you can use audio and video materials and browse the Internet, newspapers, and microfilm. In addition, there is a space called a knowledge base where you can learn and discuss. Books and magazines are placed on the first basement floor, and there is a counter for research consultation, use of materials in the library, and copying. There is also a dense library and an automated library.

Kyoto Institute of Technology
Kyoto Institute of Technology is a national university in Japan headquartered in Matsugasaki Hashikami Town, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It was installed in 1949.

In 1949 (Showa 24), the old system of Kyoto Technical College and Kyoto Textile College was established as the parent body. For a long time, there were two faculties, the Faculty of Crafts and the Faculty of Textiles, but in 2006 (2006), the “Faculty of Crafts Science” was established by integrating the two. A national technical college, “practical science” based on manufacturing in a wide range of fields from advanced science and technology fields such as electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, information engineering, biology, and chemistry to textiles, architecture, and design. We are conducting unique education and research aiming at.

Above all, the curriculum that is strongly conscious of the fusion of “science” and “art” is unique as a domestic academic research institution, and in industry-academia collaboration, especially in the doctoral course, we are focusing on developing human resources who can bring about innovation, and many We also collaborate with overseas universities and foreign designers. The key to this is the “Kyoto Design Lab” (D-lab), which was established in 2014. As a technical university with an art school, we aim to be an international technical university with a rich sense of sensibilities, advocating “fusion of science and art” with an organic educational curriculum.

Namikawa Yasuyuki Cloisonne Memorial Hall
Namikawa Yasuyuki Cloisonne Memorial Hall is a museum located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The purpose is to store, study, and publish the works of Japanese cloisonne writer Yasuyuki Namikawa, who was active from the Meiji era to the Taisho era, and to preserve the buildings and gardens related to the author, thereby contributing to the improvement of craft culture. ..

Located near the northern end of Higashiyama Ward in Kyoto City, just north of Sanjo-dori, this exhibition facility exhibits the works of Yasuyuki Namikawa’s cloisonne and the remains of his workshop. Outside of Japan, the building was renovated as the residence and workshop of Yasuyuki Namikawa, a cloisonne writer whose name has been recognized as “Namikawa”, along with Sosuke Namikawa in Tokyo, and more than 130 works by Yasuyuki. Collection. Inside the mansion, there is a garden created by Ogawa Jihei, the 7th generation of “Ueji”.

Kawashima Selkon Textiles
Kawashima Selkon Textiles Co., Ltd. is a textile company that mainly manufactures interior products and interior materials, starting from mercers and interior decoration. The head office is in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. Its predecessors are the prestigious interior maker “Kawashima Textile” in Kyoto and the interior maker “Selcon” in Kobe.

In addition, there is a textile culture museum, which holds a lot of historical materials such as dyed and woven products, delicate and elegant obi and arts and crafts textiles, and the first upholstery textiles in Japan, to show the history of textile culture. You can know.

Natural space

Kyoto City Zoo
Kyoto City Zoo is a zoo located in Okazaki, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Although it is not the official name, it is sometimes called “Okazaki Zoo”. There are Heian Shrine, Nanzenji Temple, ROHM Theater Kyoto, Kyoto City Kyocera Museum, and Kyoto Prefectural Library.

Kyoto Botanical Garden
Kyoto Botanical Gardens is a botanical garden located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. As the first public botanical garden in Japan, it opened on January 1, 1924 (Taisho 13). For 12 years from 1946 (Showa 21), it was requisitioned by the Allied Forces and forced to close, but it resumed in April 1961 (Showa 36).

In addition to the viewing greenhouse, there are about 20 areas such as the main gate flowerbed, lotus pond, and rose garden, and about 12,000 kinds of plants and about 120,000 plants are planted on a vast site of 24 hectares by theme. .. There are flower beds where you can see the flowers of the four seasons of Japan, a Western-style garden, and a greenhouse where tropical plants are collected. In the northern half, there is an ecological botanical garden that uses a forest close to nature called a half-tree forest.

Okazaki Park
Okazaki Park is a city park (general park) located in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. A park opened on the site of the National Industrial Exhibition held in 1895. Kyoto’s cultural, tourism and industrial facilities such as Kyoto City Museum of Art, Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art, ROHM Theater Kyoto, Kyoto City Kogyokan, Okazaki Ground, Kyoto Prefectural Library, Kyoto City Zoo, and Heian Jingu are gathered here. At the southern and western ends of the park, there is a waterway and an incline of Lake Biwa Canal drawn from Lake Biwa.

This extensive area is often referred to as Okazaki Park, but in a narrow sense, the park of the same name is on the south side of Heian Jingu and is adjacent to a tennis court. In 2015, the city of Kyoto relocated the Kyoto streetcar 1800 type train No. 1860, which had been preserved in Omiya Traffic Park as a tourist information center, and has been operating as the “Okazaki / streetcar concierge” since December 5, the same year. In addition, from September of the same year, as a redevelopment plan, the road between Nijo-dori and Reisen-dori on Jingu-michi, which runs north-south through the center of Okazaki Park, was converted into a promenade (pedestrian paradise).

Kogyokan
Miyako Messe Exhibition Center is an event venue located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Known as: Miyako Messe. The building built in 1996 (Heisei 8) was designed by Kiyoshi Kawasaki and was built as one of the 1200th anniversary commemorative projects of the Heian capital. In addition, there are permanent exhibitions (Kyoto Museum of Crafts and Industry, Japan Design Museum), multiple exhibition halls for events, and conference rooms. The total area of ​​the exhibition hall is the largest in Kyoto Prefecture.

The predecessor, Miyako Messe Exhibition Center, was completed in October 1937 (Showa 12) and closed on November 30, 1991 (Heisei 3). After that, the building was rebuilt, and the completion ceremony of the current building was held on May 8, 1996 (Heisei 8). The nickname “Miyako Messe” was selected from 2685 entries as a result of a public offering as a commemorative project for the 1200th anniversary of the Heian capital. The Okazaki Park’s Kogyokan can be traced back to the 1st Kogyokan, which was relocated in 1911, and the 2nd Kogyokan, which was built in 1913. The current facility is built on the site of the Second Kogyokan, which collapsed due to the Muroto Typhoon in 1934.

Philosophy road
The Philosophy Road is a sidewalk along the Lake Biwa Canal Moisture Line in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. A 1.5km promenade that starts at Reisen-dori Wakaoji Bridge in front of Kumano Wakaoji Shrine near Eikando and continues along Imadegawa-dori Ginkakuji Bridge at the west of Ginkakuji along the Lake Biwa Canal at the foot of Mt. Higashiyama. The width is not wide, but many trees are planted along the road. Next to the roadside, the Lake Biwa Canal Moisture Line runs along the foot of the mountain from Kumano Wakaoji Shrine to the approach to Otoyo Shrine, and the mountain side of the canal is a natural forest, with a row of cherry blossom trees on the opposite bank.

It is a beautiful section of nature where the scenery changes from season to season, with cherry blossoms in spring, green trees in early summer, and autumn leaves in autumn. Many people visit Kyoto as the most popular walking path, and many during the cherry blossom season and autumn leaves season. It is crowded with tourists. In recent years, many cats who have settled in coffee shops that have closed down are becoming famous. On the north side, both sides are residential areas, and rows of cherry blossom trees are planted on both banks of the water. Sidewalks may also be on the east side, but only the west side is well maintained. It has been selected as one of the 100 best roads in Japan.

The cherry blossoms on the Philosophy Road begin when Japanese-style painter Hashimoto Kansetsu and his wife, Yone, who settled nearby, donated 300 cherry blossom saplings to Kyoto City in 1921 (Taisho 10). The reason for the donation is that Sekiyuki, who was a great painter, came up with the idea of ​​planting cherry blossoms when he thought about the reward for Kyoto. It seems that the original trees are almost exhausted, but they have been replanted and maintained by Toemon Sano and others to the present day. Even now, it is still called “Kansetsuzakura” as the name of the row of cherry blossom trees.

traffic
Sakyo Ward is the gateway to Hokuriku in Kyoto. Since ancient times, there have been many transportation routes for marine products called the Saba Kaido. Even today, Route 367 is a trunk road connecting Kyoto and Fukui.

As for the railway network, the opening of the Keihan Kamohigashi Line on October 5, 1989 has significantly improved access to the Osaka area from almost the entire ward, and in 1997 (Heisei 9). On June 3, the Kyoto Municipal Subway Karasuma Line Kokusaikaikan Station was extended and opened, connecting mainly from the Iwakura / Matsugasaki area to Kyoto Station, the city center, and the Kintetsu Kyoto Line.

On the other hand, the bus route network in the ward is mainly handled by Kyoto Municipal Bus (the Karasuma Sales Office Kinrin Branch Office is in the ward) or Kyoto Bus (the Takano Sales Office is in the ward).

Tags: