The Avenue des Champs-Élysées is an avenue in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, France, Avenue des Champs-Élysées is both a tourist hotspot and one of those where the upper middle classes reside. It hosts many shops, luxury hotels and headquarters of large companies. The centred on the Champs-Élysées, is situated on Paris’s main business districts which known for being home to many luxury hotels and department stores.
The Avenue des Champs-Élysées is known for its theatres, cafés and luxury shops, as the finish of the Tour de France cycling race, as well as for its annual Bastille Day military parade. It is, throughout the year, the setting for national, festive and sporting events. On the first Sunday of each month, the main artery becomes pedestrianized.
The name Champs-Élysées is French means “the Elysian Fields”, the place for dead heroes in Greek mythology. The Avenue des Champs-Élysées is first created in 1667 by Louis XIV’s gardener, Andre Le Nôtre, in order to improve the view from the Tuileries garden. This elegant and broad avenue was extended towards the end of the 18th century, now running from the place de la Concorde to the Arc de Triomphe.
The Champs Elysées is the spine of the 8th Arrondissement, running its entire east-west length, from Place de la Concorde (in the east) to the Arc de Triomphe in the west, where the 8th, 16th, and 17th Arrondissements meet. 1.9 kilometres long and 70 metres wide, running between the Place de la Concorde in the east and the Place Charles de Gaulle in the west, where the Arc de Triomphe is located.
Avenue des Champs-Élysées is connecting Place de la Concorde, where the obelisk of Luxor stands, and Place Charles-de-Gaulle (formerly “Place de l’Étoile”), located north of the Chaillot hill at one of its highest points. Its rectilinear layout offers a long perspective born from the Louvre Palace, in which are aligned the equestrian statue of Louis XIV in the Napoleon courtyard of the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, the Tuileries Garden, the Obelisk, the Arc de Triomphe, and further to the west, outside Paris, the Arche de la Défense. This is the historical axis of western Paris.In its lower part, to the east of the Champs-Élysées-Marcel-Dassault roundabout, the avenue is bordered by service roads running along the Champs-Élysées gardens that the avenue thus crosses over all their lengths.
The lower part of the Champs-Élysées, from the Place de la Concorde to the Rond-Point, runs through the Jardin des Champs-Élysées, a park which contains the Grand Palais, the Petit Palais, the Théâtre Marigny, alongside several restaurants, gardens and monuments. The Élysée Palace on the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré-official residence of the President of the French Republic-borders the park, but is not on the Avenue itself. The Champs-Élysées ends at the Arc de Triomphe, built to honour the victories of Napoléon Bonaparte.
Known as the most beautiful avenue in the world: the Champs Elysées and its luxury boutiques offers a rich and diversified cultural offer and a selection of the most prestigious luxury and haute couture addresses. The Avenue des Champs-Élysées stretches between shopping addresses, starred restaurants, performance halls, cinemas, luxurious palaces and tree-lined promenade.
Most French fashion luxury brands have their main store in 8th arrondissement, Avenue Montaigne or Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, both in the Champs-Élysées Avenue shopping district. The biggest fashion houses such as Chanel, Dior, Prada, Gucci, Givenchy, Yves Saint-Laurent, Louis Vuitton and other fashion boutiques have taken up residence in the golden location of the Avenue des Champs -Elysées. The Galeries Lafayette recently installed on the Champs-Élysées offer ahigh-end concept store where the big names in fashion and the most cutting-edge brands of the moment.
Until the reign of Louis XIV, the land where the Champs-Élysées runs today was largely occupied by fields and kitchen gardens. The Champs-Élysées and its gardens were originally laid out in 1667 by André Le Nôtre as an extension of the Tuileries Garden, the gardens of the Tuileries Palace, which had been built in 1564, and which Le Nôtre had rebuilt in his own formal style for Louis XIV in 1664. Le Nôtre planned a wide promenade between the palace and the modern Rond Point, lined with two rows of elm trees on either side, and flowerbeds in the symmetrical style of the French formal garden. The new boulevard was called the “Grand Cours”, or “Grand Promenade”. It did not take the name of Champs-Élysées until 1709.
In 1710 the avenue was extended beyond the Rond-Point as far as the modern Place d’Étoile. In 1765 the garden was remade in the Le Nôtre style by Abel François Poisson, the marquis de Marigny, brother of the Madame de Pompadour and Director-General of the King’s Buildings. Marigny extended the avenue again in 1774 as far as the modern Porte Maillot.
In 1846, Prince Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte, the future Napoleon III, Emperor of the French, lived for a brief period in lodgings just off Lord Street, Southport. It is claimed the street is the inspiration behind the Champs-Élysées. Between 1854 and 1870, Napoléon III orchestrated the reconstruction of the French capital. The medieval centre of the city was demolished and replaced with broad tree-lined boulevards, covered walkways and arcades.
By the late 19th century, the Champs-Élysées had become a fashionable avenue; the trees on either side had grown enough to form rectangular groves (cabinets de verdure). The gardens of the town houses of the nobility built along the Faubourg Saint-Honoré backed onto the formal gardens. The grandest of the private mansions near the Avenue was the Élysée Palace, a private residence of the nobility which during the Third French Republic became the official residence of the Presidents of France.
Following the French Revolution, two equestrian statues, made in 1745 by Nicolas and Guillaume Coustou, were transferred from the former royal palace at Marly and placed at the beginning of the boulevard and park. After the downfall of Napoleon and the restoration of the French monarchy, the trees had to be replanted, because the occupation armies of the Russians, British and Prussians during the Hundred Days had camped in the park and used the trees for firewood.
The avenue from the Rond-Point to the Étoile was built up during the Empire. The Champs-Élysées itself became city property in 1828, and footpaths, fountains, and, later, gas lighting were added.
In 1834, under King Louis Philippe I, the architect Mariano Ruiz de Chavez was commissioned to redesign the Place de la Concorde and the gardens of the Champs-Élysées. He kept the formal gardens and flowerbeds essentially intact, but turned the garden into a sort of outdoor amusement park, with a summer garden café, the Alcazar d’eté, two restaurants, the Ledoyen and the restaurant de l’Horloge; a theater, the Lacaze; the Panorama, built in 1839, where large historical paintings were displayed, and the cirque d’eté (1841), a large hall for popular theater, musical and circus performances. He also placed several ornamental fountains around the park, of which three are still in place.
The major monument of the Boulevard, the Arc de Triomphe, had been commissioned by Napoleon after his victory at the Battle of Austerlitz, but it was not finished when he fell from power in 1815. The monument remained unfinished until 1833–1836, when it was completed by King Louis Philippe.
In 1855 Emperor Napoleon III selected the park at the beginning of the avenue as the site of the first great international exposition to be held in Paris, the Exposition Universelle. The park was the location of the Palace of Industry, a giant exhibit hall which covered thirty thousand square meters, where the Grand Palais is today. In 1858, following the Exposition, the Emperor’s prefect of the Seine, Georges-Eugène Haussmann, had the gardens transformed from a formal French garden into a picturesque English style garden, based on a small town called Southport, with groves of trees, flowerbeds and winding paths. The rows of elm trees, which were in poor health, were replaced by rows of chestnut trees.
The park served again as an exposition site during the Universal Exposition of 1900; it became the home of the Grand Palais and Petit Palais. It also became the home of a new panorama theater, designed by Gabriel Davioud, the chief architect of Napoleon III, in 1858. The modern theater Marigny was built by Charles Garnier, architect of the Paris Opera, in 1883.
Throughout its history, the avenue has been the site of military parades; the most famous were the victory parades of German troops in 1871 and again in 1940 celebrating the Fall of France on 14 July 1940, and the three most joyous were the parades celebrating the Allied victory in the First World War in 1919, and the parades of Free French and American forces after the liberation of the city, respectively, the French 2nd Armored Division on 25 August 1944, and the US 28th Infantry Division on 29 August 1944.
The avenue has long been the essential address for luxury brands, the portion located between Avenue George-V and the roundabout of the Champs-Élysées is still the northern limit of the “golden triangle”. Until the 1950s, the avenue consisted mainly of luxury shops. Then gradually, the latter gave way to the headquarters of groups in search of prestige. The arrival of the RER A changed the situation: many Parisians and Ile-de-France residents of all conditions could easily access the Champs-Élysées, the most popular brand shops then multiplied, especially in 1988 with the opening of Virgin Megastore.
The opening of most stores until midnight and on Sundays also contributes to the commercial success of the avenue. In 2012, an average of 300,000 pedestrians, a quarter of whom were foreigners, flocked there every day- up to 600,000 as the end of year celebrations approached – and the 120 shops on avenue generate an annual turnover of one billion euros, with an average income per foreign tourist of 1,160 euros.
The restaurants and cinemas also contribute strongly to the frequentation of the avenue. The cinemas, 29 screens, most of whose programming is in the original version, organize premieres there. For many signs, an installation on the Champs, even if it is very expensive, presents a double interest: advertising by the location, but also strong sales by the tourist frequentation.
The renovation launched in 1994 by the then mayor of Paris, Jacques Chirac, in connection with Roland Pozzo di Borgo(Comité des Champs-Élysées), will give the avenue a new brand image. The even “sunny” side of the Champs-Élysées has 30% higher footfall and sees its rents for retail space on the ground floor settle between 8,000 and 10,000 euros per square meter per year (excluding taxes and loads).
The merchants of the avenue are grouped together in an association, the Champs-Élysées Committee, created in 1860 under the name of Syndicat d’initiative et de defense des Champs-Élysées, which took its current name in 1980. This association aims to objective of maintaining a prestigious image of the avenue. To achieve this, the committee intervenes with the local authorities to obtain measures promoting the beautification of the premises (lighting, decorations, etc.) and commercial activity (opening hours of the stores, which by way of derogation are much longer than elsewhere in Paris and France).
Prestigious and popular, but also luxurious, the avenue des Champs-Élysées is therefore more and more expensive. Real estate prices are such, and real estate speculation so strong, that only a handful of people still live there. The north side (straight sidewalk going up) is more expensive because it is better exposed to the sun and busier than the south side, where the windows are in the shadow of the buildings. But since the 2000s the prices have tended to come together.
Remarkable buildings on the Champs-Élysées Avenue
No. 25: Hôtel de la Païva. This mansion, one of the last on the avenue, was built between 1856 and 1866 by the architect Pierre Manguin for Esther Lachmann, Marquise de Païva, known as La Païva (1818-1884), famous courtesan of the Second Empire, on land left vacant by the bankruptcy of the former Winter Garden and acquired from Mrs. Grelet, née Lemaigre de Saint-Maurice. Exceptionally luxurious, the hotel, famous for the splendor of its interior decoration, is one of the best preserved examples of private architecture from the Second Empire. After the death of La Païva, the hotel was sold to a banker from Berlinthen, in 1895, to the restorer Pierre Cubat. Since 1904 it has housed a private circle, the Travellers. It has recently undergone extensive restoration.
No. 27-33: Gaumont Champs-Élysées Marignan cinema.
No.28: during the Second World War and the Occupation, headquarters of the pro-Nazi small group ” Young Front “, located in the orbit of the French National-Collectivist Party of the former radical-socialist journalist Pierre Clémenti. The main activity of the “Young front” is to distribute the anti-Semitic newspaper Au Pilori, one of the most extremist of the collaboration, subsidized by the German authorities. “Young Front” is the youth section (16-21 years old) of the “French Guards”. Robert Hersant was its founder. StartAugust 1940, the latter obtains a room at this number. Members of the group also engage in violence against Jewish shopkeepers near their headquarters.
No. 30: domicile of the Count of Monte-Cristo in the novel by Alexandre Dumas
No. 31-33: Pizza Pino pizzeria. Established here since 1968, which has become an “emblematic restaurant” on the avenue, its upcoming closure is announced for 2021
No. 36: hotel of MG Béjot (in 1910). Remains but very denatured.
No. 37 (corner of rue Marbeuf): residence of Béatrice Charlotte Antoinette Denis de Kérédern de Trobriand (1850-1941). She was the daughter of Count Régis de Trobriand (1816-1897), a naturalized French American aristocrat and general of the Union armies during the American Civil War, and Mary Jones, a wealthy heiress, daughter of Mary Mason Jones, great-aunt by Edith Wharton. While her husband lived in New York, the Countess of Trobriand resided most of the time in Paris as well as her daughter who married in Paris theDecember 9, 1869John Burnett-Stears, son of the creator of the gasworks which powered the streetlights of Brest at the end of the 19th century. They owned several properties in Brittany, including the Château de Ker Stears, a large bourgeois residence built by John Stears Sr. and later transformed, and the Manoir de Leuhan in the town of Plabennec.
John Burnett-Stears died at Brest on January 16, 1888 and his widow remarried onNovember 20, 1900 in Paris with Count Olivier Marie-Joseph de Rodellec du Portzic, a country squire twenty-five years her junior. In the evening of August 2, 1906, after a reception at the Château de Ker Stears, a ring adorned with a diamond worth 50,000 gold francs was found missing. The jewel was found twenty days later hidden in the toothpaste bottle of the diplomat attached to the Russian Embassy who had attended the party. For lack of evidence, he was left free but, inJuly 1907, the diplomat sued the husbands of Rodellec du Portzic for defamation. This public trial occasioned an unpacking of bad taste on the private lives of both parties and caused a social scandal in the press. The Countess lived separated from her husband after this affair. This episode inspired Maurice Leblanc to write chapter 2 entitled “The Blue Diamond” of his novel Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès (1908).
No. 42: Citroën C42 between 1928 and 2018.
No. 50: former Gaumont Champs-Élysées Ambassade cinema. It is inaugurated onSeptember 23, 1959with the film The Path of Schoolchildren. Under the name of “Ambassade-Gaumont”, at the time it had a room with 1,100 seats, including 300 on the balcony. InMarch 1981, it merged with a neighboring cinema, the Paramount-Élysées, located at 5 rue du Colisée, giving rise to a three-screen complex. Renamed “Gaumont-Champs-Élysées-Ambassade”, it is expanding to reach 1,500 places and operate in connection with Gaumont-Champs-Élysées-Marignan, located on the other side of the avenue. theJuly 31, 2016, the cinema closed its doors, the management considering that it no longer met the “standards of quality, comfort and accessibility” demanded today.
No. 52-60: building originally built (1933) by André Arfvidson in place of the Hôtel de Massa (dating from the 18th century and classified as a historic monument, it was therefore moved stone by stone near the ‘ Observatoire de Paris) for the American bank Citybank of New York. It subsequently hosted a Virgin Megastore store (from 1988 to 2013), as well as a Monoprix. Acquired in 2012 by Qatar from Groupama, it was renovated from 2016 after the closure of the Virgin with a view to welcoming a Galeries Lafayette store in 2018. ; the Élysées-La-Boétie gallery had to close on occasion.
No. 53: L’ Atelier Renault (current name). It was in 1910 that Louis Renault himself decided to come to the famous avenue. He set up a vast showroom and sale of his luxury vehicles there. Later, he will also acquire No. 51 to enlarge his space. The building will be completely rebuilt in the early 1960s in the form we still know today, with a large facade on the avenue but also a less known facade on rue Marbeuf. The rooftop villa is the official accommodation of the president of Renault and the place also incorporates a room for the board of directors.
In 1962, the famous Pub Renault opened, which was to become a cult place in Parisian life with a major innovation: it was the first time that a commercial place incorporated a restaurant which would soon be known for its famous salads and huge ice cream. After nearly 40 years of operation and nearly 800,000 visitors a year, Renault decided to revamp its concept and opened L’Atelier Renault in 2000, which remains an exhibition and image site for the brand and continues to to host a restaurant located on the mezzanine and on 5 footbridges. The place receives an average of 2.5 million visitors per year.
No. 63: headquarters of the Mühlbacher automobile factory. In 1910 housed the Aéro-Club de France which is today at 6, rue Galilée.
No.66: the “Le66 ChampsElysées” concept store created by the architect Fabrice Ausset in 2006.
No. 68: building built in 1913 by the architect Charles Mewès and occupied on the ground floor by the perfumer Guerlain, where the company founded by Reginald Ford, Cinéac, was located. Interior decor.
No. 70: Vuitton Building (now the Marriott Hotel). Late Art Nouveau facade built in 1914 by the architects Louis Bigaux and Koller occupied on the ground floor by the trunk maker Georges Vuitton.
No. 68 and 70: The six floors of these two entire buildings were occupied from 1914 to 1933 by Maison Jenny, founded by Jenny Sacerdote in 1909, where 20 sewing workshops and the salons of the fashion house were installed.
No. 76-78: Arcades of the Lido. The building erected at this address has a shopping mall on the ground floor which overlooks the Champs-Élysées on one side and rue de Ponthieu on the other. The Arcades des Champs-Élysées, “a permanent luxury shopping fair”, was built in 1925 by the architect Charles Lefèbvre and his associates Marcel Julien and Louis Duhayon on the site of the former Hôtel Dufayel. The narrow plot of land between the avenue and the rue de Ponthieu had been acquired by the diamond dealer and property developer Léonard Rosenthal.
The Arcades were inaugurated on October 1, 1926. A few marble columns, from the former Hôtel Dufayel, are used in the construction. The decoration of the gallery is the work of ironworker René Gobert, master glassmakers Fernand Jacopozzi and René Lalique, author of glass fountains, which have since disappeared. The basement of the passage housed the Lido until 1976. Inaugurated in 1928, they were originally beauty salons with a worldly swimming pool. They had been designed by the architect René Félix Berger. Transformed into a cabaret in 1946, they were the origin of the current name of the passage, the “Arcades du Lido”.
No. 77: apartment briefly occupied by Joséphine Baker, then purchased by Ruth Virginia Bayton in 1929.
No. 79: the Queen nightclub, between 1992 and 2015.
No. 82: seat of the France-America committee from 1918 to 1926.
No. 90: the production company Ciby 2000, between 1990 and 1998.
No. 91 (corner of rue Quentin-Bauchart): building where journalist and press boss Léon Bailby (1867-1954) set up the offices of the daily newspaper Le Jour in the 1930s.
No. 92: during the German occupation, headquarters of the magazine Der Deutsche Wegleiter für Paris, intended for the occupying troops.
No. 99: The place was known as the Madame Sorel’s balcony. Today, the building houses the famous Fouquet’s brasserie on the ground floor and, on the upper floors, the Hôtel Fouquet’s Barrière, inaugurated inoctober 2006.
No. 102: Yunus Emre Institute – Cultural Center of Turkey.
No. 103: Élysée-Palace. Travelers hotel built in 1898 for the Compagnie des wagons-lits by the architect Georges Chedanne. This was the first of the large passenger hotels built on the Champs-Élysées. It was soon followed by the Hotel Astoria (1904) and the Hotel Claridge (1912), where Alexander Stavisky notably stayed. Previously, the palaces were located in the neighborhoods near the Louvre and the Opera. The original decor was destroyed by the Crédit commercial de France (now HSBC France), which acquired the building in 1919 to set up its head office there. The bank will preserve almost in its state (by transforming it into a living room) the former bedroom of the famous spy Mata Hari.
No. 114: Alberto Santos-Dumont (1873-1932), aviation pioneer, lived in this building in front of which he landed his airship in 1903 (no. 9, commemorative plaque).
No. 116 -118: headquarters of Radio-Paris under the Occupation, in the requisitioned premises of the Parisian Post Office. After the war, the French Broadcasting will settle there. It was one of the French windows on the 2nd floor that Jacques Prévert had a very serious fall onOctober 12, 1948. In 1977 becomes the cabaret Lido (previously located at No. 78).
No. 119: Carlton Hotel. Built in 1907 by architect Pierre Humbert. Became in 1988 the headquarters of Compagnie Air France.
No. 120: James Gordon Bennett junior (1841-1918), owner of the New York Herald and patron of ballooning, lived in this building. Pierre Laval had his law offices there in the 1920s.
No. 121: this imposing Haussmann building was built in 1907 by the architect Pierre Humbert.
No. 122: Count Henry de La Vaulx (1870-1930), aviation pioneer, lived at this address from 1898 to 1909 (commemorative plaque).
No. 124 (and 2, rue Balzac): private mansion built shortly before 1858 for Santiago Drake del Castillo, one of the rare preserved examples of the hotels that lined the avenue under the Second Empire.
No. 127 (and 26, rue Vernet): this building was built by Pierre Humbert and now houses the Lancel flagship.
No. 133: at the corner of rue de Tilsitt, the “publicis drugstore ” was the first drugstore to open in Europe, October 16, 1958. He settled on the ground floor of a building from the beginning of the 20th century which until then had housed a palace that had gone out of fashion, the astoria, built by the austro-hungarian diplomat and businessman Emil Jellinek. On March 13, 1916, Second Lieutenant Guynemer was treated there after an aerial combat. The “drugstore des Champs-Élysées” takes up a concept observed by the director of Publicis Marcel Bleustein-Blanchet in the United States. Slavikis in charge of the decoration. In 1965, another Publicis drugstore opened at 149 boulevard Saint-Germain. On the night of 27 to 28 September, 1972, it is devastated by a fire, disaster which causes the death of a person. Between 1973 and 1975, the building was rebuilt in glass and steel by the architect Pierre Dufau.
No. 136 (and 1, rue Balzac): private mansion of Mrs. CB de Beistegui (in 1910). Today the ground floor is occupied by the Peugeot car showroom; despite everything, he retained a rich decor in the salons on the first floor.
No. 138: hotel by William Kissam Vanderbilt (1849-1920): “He brought together in the salons of 138 an invaluable collection of paintings and works of art, but which he only consented to show to certain privileged people.
No. 142: House of Denmark.
No 144: entrance to the Tunnel de l’Étoile, road tunnel linking the Avenue de la Grande-Armée passing under the Arc de Triomphe de l’Étoile.
No. 152 (corner of rue Arsène-Houssaye): in this building, built on the site of the Hôtel Musard, Mme de Loynes held an influential literary salon at the beginning of the 20th century on the mezzanine and politics of which the critic Jules Lemaître was the great man.
No. 156: Embassy of Qatar in France.
Retail stores on the avenue
Nowaday, the south side having been chosen by brands such as Lancel, Lacoste, Hugo Boss,Louis Vuitton, Nike, Omega, Eden Shoes and the Parisian palace Fouquet ‘s Barrière and the north side by Cartier, Guerlain, Montblanc, McDonald’s, Adidas, and the famous and only hotel having its entrance on the avenue: the Marriott.
The Champs-Élysées has mid-size shopping malls, extending the shopping area: Élysées 26 (No.26) with Agatha jewellery and l’Eclaireur fashion, Galeries du Claridge (No.74) with Annick Goutal perfumes, Fnac, Paul & Shark, Arcades des Champs-Élysées (No.78) with Starbucks.
The list of fashion stores include Adidas (No.22), Abercrombie & Fitch (No.23), Zara (No.40 and No.44), J.M. Weston (No.55), Foot Locker (No.66), Longchamp (No.77), Nike (No.79), Levi’s (No.76), H&M (No.88), Morgan (No.92), Lacoste (No.93-95), Marks & Spencer (No.100), Louis Vuitton (No.101), Hugo Boss (No.115), Massimo Dutti (No.116), Petit Bateau (No.116), Milady (No.120), Dior (No.127), Celio (No.146 and No.150). The list of perfume stores include Guerlain (No.68) (Le 68 de Guy Martin), Sephora multi brand (No.70), Yves Rocher (No.102).
Jewellers: Tiffany & Co. (No.62), Bulgari (No.136), Swarovski (No.146), Cartier (No.154). Book and music store: FNAC (No.74). The list of car show-rooms include Citroen (No.42), Renault (No.53), Toyota (No.79), Mercedes (No.118), Peugeot (No.136).
The Champs-Élysées district is above all a prestigious commercial district where major international brands are displayed, but it is also home to a large number of embassies and company headquarters. The Faubourg-du-Roule district is a more residential district, with a sociology close to the Ternes (17th) and Chaillot (16th) districts. It houses the headquarters of many financial institutions (banks, insurance companies, business law firms).
Extending all the way along the Champs-Elysées it encompasses the entire southern part of the arrondissement, including its part of the bank of the river Seine. This quartier is home to some of the most luxurious hotels and restaurants, as well as headquarters of luxury goods companies in its western part, and to the famous exhibition venues, the Grand Palais and Petit Palais, as well as Place Concorde in the east.
Apart from Champs-Elysées, the main streets of the quartier include Cours Albet 1er/Cours la Reine along the river Seine, Avenue Montaigne (luxury boutiques), Avenue George V (luxury hotels and restaurants) and Avenue Marceau. All four meet at Place de l’Alma, from where the famous Pont de l’Alma bridges the Seine. Three of those are also joined by the perpendicular Rue Francois 1st, which plays host to some more luxury addresses. Avenue Franklin D. Roosevelt, with a large circular Rond-point des Champs-Élysées-Marcel-Dassault in the middle, marks the division between the densely-built part of the quartier to the east and the Jardins de Champs-Elysées to the west.
The Champs-Élysées district, as a place of residence and life of the upper middle class, also has many shops and luxury accommodation, also luxury palaces like Le Bristol, Hôtel de Crillon, the Four Seasons Hotel George V, the Plaza Athénée, the Réserve Paris and the Royal Monceau Raffles; and 5-star hotels like (Le Bristol, the Hôtel de Crillon, Plaza Athénée, La Trémoille, George-V, Inter Continental Marceau, Royal Monceau and Fouquet’s Barrière. for an exceptional welcome and high-level services like concierge, catering orchestrated by great chefs, elegant and refined rooms and suites, etc.
The Champs-Élysées district is also known for its many starred restaurants. Alain Ducasse at the Plaza Athénée, Christian Le Squer for the restaurant Le Cinq du George V, Eric Fréchon for Épicure du Bristol, Yannick Alléno at the Pavillon Ledoyen, the restaurant Pierre Gagnaire, Le Chiberta de Guy Savoy and the great gourmet restaurants Maxim’s, La Table Lucas Carton, Lasserre, L’Arôme, Le Laurent, Le Clarence and La Scène.