Walk through the Gion area, the cobblestone streets where willows sway, and the flower district lined with teahouses, and visit Yasaka Shrine, which is known for the Gion Festival, and the ancient temples of Higashiyama. Cross the Shijo Ohashi Bridge to the east and you will find Gion. It is an area with flower districts called “Gion Kobu” and “Gion Higashi”. Cross the Tatsumi Bridge from the cobblestone Shirakawa-suji where the willows sway, take a walk along the Hanamikoji lined with teahouses and restaurants and the surrounding alleys, and enjoy shopping at Japanese accessory stores and general stores that are popular with art and maiko. You can enjoy the atmosphere of Hanamachi.
Pass through the precincts of Yasaka Shrine, which is famous for its vermilion-painted tower gate at the eastern end of Shijo-dori, and head north from Maruyama Park, which is famous for cherry blossom viewing. This area has a calm atmosphere, with Chion-in Temple, which has one of the largest wooden double gates in Japan, and Shoren-in Temple, which has one of Japan’s three Fudo, Aofudo Myo (national treasure).
While walking in the Kiyomizu-dera area, Ninen-zaka, where the stone monument of the painter Yumeji Takehisa’s residence is located, and Sannen-zaka, you can enjoy the historic townscape formed by the townhouses and shrines and temples. Founded in 798 (17th year of Enryaku), the area around Kiyomizu-dera, which is famous for the “stage of Kiyomizu,” has many slopes. If you go south from Kodaiji Temple, which is related to Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s Seishitsu and Kitaseisho, you will see a gentle cobblestone slope. Here, in the middle of Ninenzaka, there is a stone monument of the ruins of the residence where Yumeji Takehisa, a painter of the Taisho era, spent time.
Sannen-zaka, which continues from Ninen-zaka, is an “important” where the townhouses built from the end of the Edo period to the Taisho era and the surrounding shrines and temples such as the Yasaka Tower (Hokan-ji) are integrated to leave a historical landscape. Area designated as “Traditional Buildings Preservation District”. After climbing Sannen-zaka, you will join Shimizu-zaka, which is crowded with tourists and school excursion students, and Gojo-zaka, which is lined with pottery shops. Kiyomizu Temple is in front of you.
Higashiyama Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. There are downtown areas such as Gion and Sanjo Keihan area in the ward. The plains on the left bank of the Kamo River have been urbanized from early on, but large-scale temples and shrines stand at the western foot of Higashiyama. Due to the relatively strict regulations such as landscape regulations, housing development in mountainous areas as seen in other wards has not been carried out. Higashiyama Ward is sandwiched between the Higashiyama Mountain Range and the Kamo River in the east and west, and covers approximately Sanjo Dori in the north and Jujo Dori to the northern foot of Mt. Inari in the south. The eastern part of the ward is a forest area, the western part is a residential area, and the northern part is Higashioji Dori. It has various regional characteristics such as a commercial area between the river and the Kamo River, and a semi-industrial area along the Kamo River in the south.
There are many famous shrines and temples such as Kiyomizu-dera, a world cultural heritage, historic sites, scenic spots, national treasures, important cultural properties, etc., and the Sanningzaka district and Gion Shinbashi district are designated as traditional buildings preservation districts. The beautiful townscape that has passed through history is preserved, and many tourists visit Higashiyama Ward throughout the four seasons. Kyo-yaki and Kiyomizu-yaki, which are made mainly from Gojozaka to the vicinity of Sennyuji Temple, are highly evaluated for their arts and crafts, and are known throughout the country as a traditional industry of Kyoto along with Kyoto folding fans and Kyoto lacquerware. In Gion and Miyagawa-cho, which are the representative flower districts of the city, traditional culture and performing arts are inherited in a moist and gorgeous atmosphere, and every year, “Miyako Odori”, “Kyo Odori”, and “Gion Odori” are held. It would be held.
Gion is a typical downtown and entertainment district in Kyoto, located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. Before the Meiji era, the current Yasaka Shrine was called Gion Shrine and owned a vast precinct up to the Kamogawa area, so this area is called Gion (see Gion Seisha for the etymology of “Gion”). The town of Toriimae originally faced Shijo-dori, but after the Meiji era, it developed north and south of Shijo-dori from Kamogawa to Higashioji-dori and Yasaka Shrine. It is one of Kyoto’s leading hanamachi, which is also famous for its maiko, and there are Minamiza (Kabuki Theater), Gion Kobu Kabukijo, and Gion Kaikan in the area.
Nowadays, there are many bars in addition to teahouses and restaurants, and the old-fashioned atmosphere is faint, but the houses with latticed doors are reminiscent of the elegance of the past. The area along Shirakawa from Shimbashi-dori in the north has been selected as an important traditional buildings preservation area of the country, and the area across Hanamikoji in the south has been designated as a historical landscape conservation scenic area in Kyoto City, protecting the traditional townscape. Utilization is progressing.
The intersection of Shijo-dori and Higashioji is the “Gion” intersection (often also called “Gion Ishidanshita”). There is a Keihan Bus Gion bus stop near the intersection. Originally around Yasaka, Yasaka-go, Otagi-gun, Yamashiro, and around Yasaka, Shimogyo-ku (until 1929). In addition, Gion Shrine (Kanjin-in), which is the origin of the name, got this name because Gozu-Tennou, the god of worship, was regarded as the guardian deity of Gion Seisha.
Depending on the appearance of the building and its location with Shirakawa, it can be divided into an area facing Shimbashi-dori, where two-story Machiya Chaya style buildings are lined up, and an area along Shirakawa, where mainly two-story Machiya Kawabata Chaya style buildings are lined up. .. Tatsubashi is a steel girder bridge with a length of 7.5m and a width of 3.1m over Shirakawa, which is the starting point of the alley (cutting) connecting Shinbashi-dori and Shijo-dori. The name of the bridge is derived from Tatsumi Daimyojin (Tatsumi Shrine). A wooden bridge was built at private expense in 1829 (Bunsei 12) and later became a clay bridge, and in 1957 it became a steel bridge paved with cobblestones and with wooden balustrades. There is a monument to Isamu Yoshii on the west side of the bridge.
Kiyomizu Temple is a temple located in Kiyomizu, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Otowayama. Originally belonged to the Hosso sect, but now independently calls himself the main mountain of the Hosso sect. Saigoku 33rd place 16th bill place. The principal image is the Eleven-faced Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu. Kiyomizu-dera is a temple of the Hosso sect (one of the six sects of Nanto), and along with Goryu-ji and Kurama-dera, is one of the few temples in Kyoto that has a history before the relocation of Heiankyo. In addition, along with Ishiyama Temple (Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture) and Hase Temple (Sakurai City, Nara Prefecture), it is one of the leading Kannon sacred sites in Japan, and is famous as one of the leading tourist destinations in Kyoto City along with Kinkakuji Temple and Arashiyama. Therefore, many worshipers visit regardless of the season. In addition, many students visit on school trips. It is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a cultural property of the ancient capital of Kyoto.
The sect of Kiyomizu-dera was originally the Hosso sect, and from the middle of the Heian period it was also the Shingon sect. It belonged to the Shingon sect Daigo sect at the beginning of the Meiji era, but returned to the Hosso sect in 1885 (Meiji 18). In 1965 (Showa 40), the then chief priest Ryokei Onishi established the Kita Hosso sect and became independent from the Hosso sect.
Maruyama Park Concert Hall, Kyoto City
Located in Maruyama Park, it opened in November 1945 as a facility that can be used for various cultural projects such as music, comfort projects, and gatherings. An outdoor facility with a natural environment that can accommodate 2528 people.
Samurai Kembu Theater
It was during the Meiji era that sword dance was performed for the general public. Until then, each swordsman’s dojo had been working privately, but the samurai, who were no longer allowed to hold swords publicly due to the abolition of swords, began to show their skills to people as a performing art. It started as a stage performing art. At the “Samurai Kembu Theater,” you can enjoy trial lessons and demonstrations of sword dance, a traditional performing art that inherits the spirit of the samurai. In the trial lesson, the basic knowledge of swords and samurai will be taught by the instructors and instructors of the school who inherit the tradition of sword dance. Children’s costumes and daggers are available, so anyone over the age of 5 can experience the lessons.
A facility where you can enjoy traditional Japanese performing arts such as Kyogen, Gagaku, tea ceremony, flower arrangement, and koto in about an hour.
The oldest park in the city, opened in 1886 (Meiji 19). It is about 86,600 m2 in the east of Yasaka Shrine, with Higashiyama in the background, and there are restaurants and teahouses scattered around the strolling Japanese garden, and it has an atmosphere regardless of the seasons. It is one of the best cherry blossom viewing spots in Kyoto, and the “Gion no Yozakura” at the time of cherry blossom viewing is worth a visit. Amphitheater, Azumaya, Fujitana, Toilet, Pond, Fountain.
Famous places and historic sites
Kiyomizu Temple Garden
The garden of Kiyomizu-dera Seijoin is a garden with a view of the scenery and a pond (currently an appreciation garden) with strange stones such as Karasuhata stone and Magakijima stone. There are also rare stone lanterns such as dragonfly lanterns, Temari lanterns, and Tagasode chozubachi that you can’t find anywhere else. In the garden in the early Edo period, the moon shadow reflected in Shinji Pond is wonderful, and it has been called “Moon Garden”. A stone lantern is placed on the opposite hillside to give a sense of perspective. It is designated as a national scenic spot.
The Koyasu Pagoda of Kiyomizu-dera is located on a hill that runs from the main hall of Kiyomizu-dera to Kinunkei. Reconstruction of the latter half of the Muromachi period with a three-storied pagoda (important cultural property) with Sotan-nuri and Hikihide. It has the name of Taisanji Temple at the top of Kiyomizu Temple. Senju Kannon is enshrined in the tower. In the temple, Emperor Shomu and Empress Komyō prayed for this Kannon and gave birth to Emperor Koken safely, so it is said that it was built in return for that. In posterity, the belief in praying for safe delivery was born and praised as Koyasu Kannon. The panoramic view of Kiyomizu-dera from the front of the tower is wonderful, and it is also an indispensable tower for the view of Higashiyama.
Gion Shinbashi Traditional Buildings Preservation District
Gion originated as the gate town of Gion Shrine, and in the Edo period, huts such as plays and Ningyo Joruri began to line up. The entire area of this area was developed as a teahouse town in Rokucho, Gion, and has developed from the end of the Edo period to the beginning of the Meiji period in deep connection with performing arts. Even now, high-quality and sophisticated teahouse-style townhouses are lined up in an orderly manner, and the traditional appearance is shown together with the beautiful stream of Shirakawa, cobblestones, and rows of cherry blossom trees.
Gion no Nyo Mitsuka is the residence of Gion no Nyogo, who is said to be the mistress of Emperor Shirakawa (1053-1129), who opened the cloister rule in the late Heian period. There is a memorial tower on the west side of Maruyama Ongakudo in Higashiyama Ward. There is a theory that Taira no Tadamori, who had a martial arts during pregnancy, became the mother of Kiyomori, but it is said that the gift was given to the younger sister of the nyōgo. A Taira no Tadamori lantern related to this legend stands in the precincts of Yasaka Shrine.
Sanningzaka Traditional Buildings Preservation District
The area around this area, where shrines and temples such as Gion Shrine and Kiyomizu Temple are lined up, has many historical assets since it was opened before Heiankyo. An urban area was formed along the stone steps and bent cobblestone slopes such as Sannen-zaka (Sannen-zaka) and Ninen-zaka, which are the ancient pilgrimage routes of these shrines and temples. The shrines and temples such as Yasaka Tower and Kodaiji Temple and the townhouses built from the end of the Edo period to the Taisho period are united to convey an excellent historical landscape.
Chion-in Hojo Garden is a garden facing the large and small lengths (a scenic spot designated by Kyoto City). The large pond has a view of Higashiyama, and the appearance of the thick trees is reflected on the surface of the water to create a world of loneliness. To the east of Ogatajo, the national treasure “Amitabha Nyorai 25 Bodhisattva Raigozu” owned by Chion-in is represented by the low pruning and stones of Satsuki, and is called the 25 Bodhisattva Garden. A pond-style garden that is said to have been created by Tamabuchi and Enshu, a monk who has a connection with Kobori Enshu in the early Edo period.
Chion-in Yuzen-en Garden was renovated and landscaped in 1954 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the birth of Yuzen-en Garden, the founder of Yuzen dyeing. It is composed of a pond-style garden with a “dyed thread waterfall” with the spring water of Higashiyama and Kanoen of the dry landscape garden. In the center of the potalaka pond, the Kannon image by Koun Takamura shines on the surface of the water. Makes you feel. In addition, there is a tea room “Hakuju-an” related to Urasenke and a tea room “Hakuju-an” relocated to commemorate the 86th Chion-in Koryū Nakamura Hisashi Eminence. It is a gorgeous Showa garden that is suitable for being called the garden related to Yuzensai, which produced Yuzen dyeing.
Shiunsui is water that springs from a small pond under the mausoleum in the southeastern corner of Seijido. There is a legend that when the Hounen was lonely, the saints came and the purple clouds fluttered and appeared on the surface of the water, and the fragrance drifted. It is also said that a priest who was impressed by Chery wrote the phrase, “A person who draws the pure water of Satomizu can see the water of his heart.” It has been famous since ancient times as Chery Shimizu. In addition, Moria frogs come to spawn every year from May to June.
The approach to Chion-in is a Sapindaceae (Sapindaceae) located on the north side of the old cherry blossoms. It is said that Sapindaceae was planted during the Genroku period of the Edo period, when the precincts of Chion-in were set up because of its high utility value, such as the skin being used for washing and the seeds being used for beads. Since Sapindaceae is warm and Kyoto is close to the northern limit of its distribution, it is rare and valuable to have such a large tree (tree height 20 m). City-designated natural monument.
The front yard of Konchi-in Temple is famous as “Tsurukame no Niwa” and was made by Kobori Enshu. Unusually dynamic and gorgeous for a Zen temple. Expressing the appearance of crane turtles facing each other in the garden. The white sand on the front symbolizes the treasure ship and at the same time represents the ocean, with stones representing the county Senjima scattered between Tsurushima and Kameshima, and the head and shoulders stone group representing the Horai mountain range is placed on the front cliff behind it. It is a Horai-style dry landscape garden that is very well-established as a garden for the celebration of the people’s Mansei. The vertebrate of Konchi-in is the Japanese Chinquapin (Fagaceae) located outside the western wall of Konchi-in Temple in Yamauchi, Nanzenji Temple.
Yasaka Shrine Tsukishita Ice Man Stone
Stand on the south side of the South Tower Gate. It is also called a strange ice man stone, and the history of its construction in 1839 is engraved on the surface with “Tazunuru” on the right side and “Oshiyuru” on the left side. At that time, it was used as a guide board. One of the three existing stones in the city. Others remain at Seiganji Temple (Nakagyo Ward) and Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (Kamigyo Ward).
The garden of Entoku-in, which was relocated from Fushimi Castle, is a dynamic dry landscape garden with many expressive stones and trees such as pine and maple. It is also made by Kenba, a master of stonework.
The garden of Shoren-in is composed of four gardens, and the first of the routes is the garden that is said to have been made by Soami in the Muromachi period. This garden is a strolling garden centered around Ryushin Pond, and has Senshin Waterfall and Dragon Bridge. Artificial hills and large ponds leave the remnants of the Muromachi period. Next, if you follow the route, you will find a garden made by Kobori Enshu in the Edo period. Also known as Kirishima Garden, there is an old tree of Kirishima azaleas. Maple blooms and dusts in autumn.
The next garden is the front yard of Kobuntei, which is said to have been made by Yui Omori during the Edo period. It has an elegant appearance along with the reconstructed Kobuntei. The last is the moss garden in front of the shrine, with Ukon-no-Tachibana and Sakon-no-Sakura. Originally white sand, it was covered with moss for some time and is now famous as a moss garden. In addition, the Shogunzaka Dainichido in the precincts of the excelave is beautiful throughout the four seasons, including the dry landscape garden, peaches and cherry blossoms in spring, and autumn leaves in autumn.
Okusu is a Lauraceae camphor tree located on the south east side of the north gate of Shoren-in Temple. It is a sloping land on the outside front of the Tsukiji wall of Seiren-in Temple, but on the hillside of the large embankment, there are two large camphor trees on the north side, two on the west side, and one on the front yard of the shrine for hundreds of years. Keeping the age of the tree. In the first year of Tendai (1144), it is a monzeki temple by Gyogen, the lord of the Tendai-zasu, and the garden is said to be a famous garden incorporating Mt. Awata, and it is said that it was made by Soami. It is also speculated.
The vast garden with the view of Higashiyama at Kodaiji Temple has two ponds and two corridors centered around Kaizando, giving it a taste of Sansui. It is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. Hideyoshi’s beloved Kangetsudai is located in Kogetsu Pond, and Kamejima is built in the north and Tsurushima is built in the cape in the south. It is known as a garden that represents the Momoyama period.
Daigado Historic Site
Ike no Taiga, a Nanga painter in the middle of the Edo period, lived with his wife, Ike Gyokuran. There is now a stone monument of “Daigado Ruins” and “Wako Dodust” in this area south of the music hall in Maruyama Park. City bus Gion 400 meters.
Yumeji Takehisa Remains
Masuya-cho, Higashiyama-ku, in the middle of Ninenzaka. Yumeji Takehisa, a representative painter and poet of the Taisho era, boarded in Kyoto in February 1917 (Taisho 6). The room is on the 2nd floor. Escaping Tokyo from the entanglement of love issues. Two months later, he moved to the south gate of Kodaiji Temple in the north and lived with his mistress Hikono. City bus Seisui 400 meters.
Hideout of Yoshimura Torataro
The place where Torataro Yoshimura, a priest at the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, had a temporary appearance in 1863. This area was crowded with boats on the Takase River and became a perfect hiding place for the priests at the end of the Edo period. There are traces of residences such as Takechi Mizuyama, Sakuma Shozan, and Katsura Kogoro nearby. It’s close.
Site of Ikedaya
In June 1864 (Genji 1), where the Ikedaya riot occurred. Seven defeated groups and three Shinsengumi died as a result of a brawl when the defeated groups of various clan such as Choshu and Doshu in Raku were attacked by the Shinsengumi during the conspiracy. This incident boosted the momentum for the debate. A historic site of the Meiji Restoration along with Teradaya. There is an izakaya with the theme of Shinsengumi here. In front of the shop, there is a stone monument engraved with “Ikedaya Incident Ruins”.
Rokuhara Tandai Ruins
A local agency established by the Kamakura Shogunate in the area of Higashiyama Ward, which extends from the current Matsubara-dori to Gojo and Shichijo, east of the Kamogawa River. 1221 (Jokyu 3) Hojo Tokifusa and Yasutoki start after the Jokyu War. This name is the site of the former Taira clan Rokuhara. 1333 (Genko 3) The curtain begins with the destruction of the Kamakura Shogunate. A stone monument in Rokubaramiji. City bus Gojozaka 300 meters.
A burial mound in the precincts of Dainichido, the summit of Kacho, east of Maruyama Park. 13 meters in diameter. 1.8 meters high. In 794 (Enryaku 13), Emperor Kanmu wore an iron armor on a clay doll of about 2.4 meters and buried it with a bow and arrow to protect the royal castle when he moved to Heian, such as “The Tale of Hogen” and “The Tale of the Heike”. It is in. There is also a legend associated with Shogun Sakanoue Tamura Maro. There is the precincts of Seiren-in Enchi, and Seiryu-den was defeated.
Minamoto no Yoshitomo’s younger brother, Yoshinaka’s son, Minamoto no Yoritomo, Noriyori, and Yoshitsune’s brothers, Yoshinaka Kiso, entered Kyoto in 1183 with a genius tactic and pursued the Heike. On January 20, 3rd, he was chased by Yoshitsune’s army and fell to Seta with his daughter Tomoe, and was defeated in the Uji River. It is said that one of the servants left in Kyoto due to illness buried the head of his husband Yoshinaka here.
Tomb of Oda Nagamasu
Yurakusai was the younger brother of Oda Nobunaga and was called Nagamasu. After Nobunaga’s death, he shaved his hair and studied under Sen no Rikyu to become a master of the tea ceremony. In his later years, he revived “Shoden-in” in Gion Hanamikoji Shijo Shimoru, where he lived a life of tea ceremony, but died at the age of 71 in 1621. The tomb of Yurakusai remained in the old land even after the relocation of Shoden-in, but in the fall of 1958, it was moved here together with Mrs. Yurakusai, her daughter, and Nagamasu Oda. Currently, Yuraku style tea ceremony is being accepted in various places.
Gion Festival Gallery
An exhibition corner where you can learn about “Gion Matsuri,” one of Japan’s three major festivals. A full-scale halberd is installed, and you can observe the traditional technique of halberd construction, which is not usually seen, up close. There is also a miniature float and a large folding screen monitor that shows the highlights of the Gion Festival. It is in a location with excellent access and has a cafe, so it is ideal for a break while walking around the city. You can buy books and miscellaneous goods related to Kyoto at the gallery shop.
The permanent exhibition will showcase the bustling modern times of Shijo Kawara. The special exhibition is about Kabuki, Maiko, and Gion for a limited time. “Kitaza Bookstore” (free admission) has a large selection of Kyoto books.
Kawai Kanjiro Memorial Hall
Kanjiro Kawai, who was active from the Taisho era to the Showa era, is an artist with various faces such as a potter, a poet, a sculptor, and an interior designer. The workshop and home that he designed and built in 1937 have been open to the public as a memorial hall since 1973. At that time, it was slightly renovated, such as by setting up a reception desk, but most of the memorial hall remains the same as when Kanjiro Kawai lived with his family. Many works such as design drawings, collections, pottery, wood carvings and free-spirited books are also exhibited. There is also a climbing kiln left behind at home, and you can feel the vestiges of both life and work of Kanjiro Kawai.
Kondo Yuzo Memorial Hall
Exhibition of works from the early to late years of the late Yuzo Kondo (living national treasure), a master of pottery that Kyoto is proud of. The work that depicts the natural features with bold brush strokes overwhelms the viewer. The world’s largest dyed platter is a sight to see. Established a memorial hall in the pottery after Mr. Kondo’s birthplace. Please enjoy the elegant space of sake, which is a symbol of pure water, and ceramics, which are mainly dyed rooted in this area. Yanagisui (1st floor), Nemendo (2nd floor, open only when special exhibitions are held)
Meiji Restoration Museum “Ryozen Museum”
At the foot of Mt. Ryozen, there are about 400 gravestones of Shishi, including Ryoma Sakamoto and Shintaro Nakaoka, who were struck by the turmoil at the end of the Edo period. There are many materials related to the relics, inks, Shinsengumi, and Tokugawa Shogunate of those priests, and it can be said that it is a comprehensive museum of restoration that can be seen from the perspectives of both the fallen and samurai. Explain the history of the end of the Edo period in an easy-to-understand manner with valuable materials and large images.
It is the only museum in Japan that exhibits historical relics that were deposited for research by Director Ii Date, a researcher of armor and sword history, with the understanding of the owners. We respect the relationship between history and history in the materials, and we are focusing on their examination. We decide the theme every year and hold a special exhibition.
Kompira Ema Museum
Yasui Konpiragu was opened to preserve the votive tablets unique to Japan. Approximately 600 votive tablets from the Showa period have been exhibited since the late Edo period. There are also votive tablets dedicated by modern cultural figures and entertainers. This is the preservation of votive tablets unique to Japan and the rediscovery of votive tablets as religious paintings.
Kahitsukan, Kyoto Museum of Contemporary Art
It opened in 1981 on the north side of Gion and Shijo-dori, near Kyoto Yasaka Shrine. Human beings lose their freedom because they are bound by the established theory in both academics and art. It was named “What a must-have building” because of the desire to maintain a spirit of freedom that doubts the established theory as “what, not necessarily”. In the hall, the exhibition and lighting are devised so that the true beauty of excellent works of art can be maximized in a quiet and tense ornamental space. A collection and exhibition of modern and contemporary paintings, crafts, and photographs centered on Kagaku Murakami, Kaoru Yamaguchi, and Rosanjin Kitaoji, who are the pillars of Kahitsukan. The permanent installation is Rosanjin’s work room on the basement of Kitaoji. In addition, on the 5th floor, there is a “light garden” where natural light comes in. Special exhibitions are also held several times a year.
Kyoto Gion Lamp Museum
Located to the south of Yasaka Shrine, about 800 Japanese and foreign oil lamps that continued to illuminate people’s lives during the Meiji era are on display. There is a wide range of exhibits, from lamps that are extremely valuable as works of art to lamps that give a good understanding of Japanese customs at the time. It is rare in the world as a museum that exhibits only many oil lamps, and it is also useful as a learning material.
Kanji Museum and Library
The “Kanji Museum & Library” (Kanji Museum) is Japan’s first experience-based museum of kanji that creates many surprises and discoveries through exhibits that not only see, touch, learn, and enjoy kanji.
Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum
This is the first museum in Japan that permanently exhibits metalwork, cloisonne, lacquer work, sculpture, and Kyoto Satsuma from the end of the Edo period and the Meiji era, centering on those returned home from overseas. These techniques, which were handed down from the countries of the Silk Road to Japan and completed, reached their peak in this era, and Japanese art works surprised the world. You can see the high-level works of the time, including the works of imperial artists and unknown writers.
Namikawa Yasuyuki Cloisonne Memorial Hall
A memorial hall for Yasuyuki Namikawa, a cloisonné who represents Japan from the Meiji to Taisho eras. In addition to the cloisonne works (nationally registered tangible cultural property) handed down to the Namagawa family, old mansions and workshops (nationally registered tangible cultural property and Kyoto city designated historical design buildings, landscape important buildings, historical scenic formation buildings), seven The garden designed by Jihei Ogawa (a scenic spot designated by Kyoto City) is open to the public.
Events / festivals
Oharae Festival over the summer
Imperial clothes tea
Kitaseisho Tea Ceremony
Gion Shrine Moon Festival
Good example Kaomi Seiko
Spring Kompira Festival
Karuta opening ceremony
Mikoshi washing ceremony
Ebisu Shrine Festival
Kyoto / Higashiyama Hanatouro
Kannon Sutra Reading Association and Northern Hosso Buddhist Culture Course
Ogasawara-style deer dedication
Enmusubi First Great Power Festival
Ayagasa-ho Chigo Shrine
The Great Power Festival
Chion-in memorial service
Twenty days Ebisu festival
The Tale of the Heike in Chikuzen Biwa
Kyoto Summer Festival / Yuzen Nagashi Fantasy
Kuya Dance Nembutsu
Kagura dedication festival
Mikoshi washing ceremony
Dedication of traditional performing arts
Business card Thanksgiving
Eki Shrine Summer Festival
Toka Ebisu Grand Festival
Benzaiten special prayer party
Kamogawa Noryo Yuka
Iwami Kagura dedication
Go down Kamogawa
Love fulfillment Tanabata festival
Mikoshi Watari departure ceremony (under the stone steps)
Four-headed tea ceremony
Flower umbrella patrol
Annual Festival Landlord Festival
Enmusubi Prayer Sakura Festival
Evening Palace Festival
Naginatabokocho Gosen degree
Thousand days pilgrimage
Awata Shrine Grand Festival
Kuze Chigo Shrine
Enmusubi Landlord Festival
Hirosawaike lantern sink
Kagai of Kyoto joint performance “The bustle of the city”
Sencha Tea Festival