While looking up at the Saga area, one of the Gozan no Okuribi, and the torii gate, you can feel the historical romance of many famous temples and stroll around the traditional streets. August 16th, when the night sky of Kyoto is lit by fire. The torii gate, which is the last to be ignited in the Gozan no Okuribi, is located on Mt. Mandala in Saga. This Saga area is dotted with famous temples on the left and right of the road extending northwest. It is an area where you can enjoy historical romance. If you go further along this road, you will come across a different charm. The cityscape designated as the “Saga Toriimoto Traditional Buildings Preservation District”, which has developed with the characteristics of both the gate town and the rural area of Atago Shrine, spreads out, and the townhouse-style private houses and thatched-roof farm-style private houses are in the background of beautiful nature. Lined up in. Why don’t you go this far and feel the history of Saga?
Fascinated by the seasonal scenery of the Arashiyama area, pink, green, red and yellow, and white, Hozu River, Togetsukyo Bridge, and Arashiyama. The magnificent mountains seen over the Togetsukyo Bridge over the Katsura River. In spring, it is dyed pink with cherry blossoms, in summer it is dressed in refreshing fresh green, in autumn it is colored with complex colors of autumn leaves such as red and yellow, and in winter it is beautifully snow-covered. It is a scenic spot that will delight visitors throughout the year. Starting from Togetsukyo Bridge, you can slowly walk along the small path of the bamboo grove, which runs from Nonomiya Shrine through the north gate of Tenryuji Temple to Okochi Sanso, and if you are confident in your legs, you can find it on the hillside of Arashiyama. Climb the mountain road to Daihikaku Senkoji Temple and enjoy the scenery. There are restaurants and souvenir shops along the street, and there are also shops near Togetsukyo where you can enjoy sweetness.
Saga is a place name in Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is the name of a wide area surrounded by the west of Tahata and Utano, the north of the Katsura River, the east of Mt. Ogura, and the south of the foot of Mt. Atago, and is sometimes called simply “Saga”. However, “Saga (field)” as a tourist destination refers to the area where shrines and temples line up along Arashiyama and Ogurayama (generally west of Kurumazaki Shrine). Since it is located in the western suburbs of Heiankyo, it is also known as the western suburbs and public houses. There is a theory that the place name is derived from the terrain such as slopes or steepness, and that it is because “Yamatomo” in the suburbs of Xian (Chang’an), China was also written as “Sagayama”.
From ancient times, it is said that the development was promoted by Mr. Hata, a powerful family who was based on Tahata. After the transfer of capital to Heian, it was a perfect hunting and resort for the emperor and Omiya people because of its scenic beauty. Emperor Saga built and lived in the Rikyu Sagain, and after the demise of the crown, Prince Tsunesada (Prince Tsunesada of Emperor Ninmyō) changed it to Daikakuji Temple. In 882 (Gangyo 6th year), Sagano was designated as a “forbidden field”, and since then, mountain cottages and temples have been built one after another by aristocrats and literati. It is said that the Fujiwara no Teika built Ogura Sanso in this area and chose Hyakunin Isshu here, and the ruins that are said to be the remains of Shigureitei remain in Enrian, Nison-in and Jojakkoji. In addition, Okusaga’s Kashino was a place of burial along with Toribeno in Higashiyama.
In 1255 (7th year of construction) in the middle of the Kamakura period, Emperor Gosaga built a detached palace called Kameyamaden (Sagaden), and in 1268 (Bun’ei 5th year) he left the house and made Daikakuji a new palace. (“Saga Gosho”). Daikakuji continued to be the Imperial Palace of Emperor Kameyama after the demise of Emperor Gosaga, and his descendants were called the Daikakuji line. Takauji Ashikaga of the Muromachi Shogunate, who heard the news of the collapse of Emperor Go-Daigo after the Southern Court (Daikakuji Line), which was hostile during the Nanbokucho period, built Tenryu-ji Temple in Sagano, which is also related to Daikakuji Line. It depends on the fact. Such a landscape changed drastically after Ryoi Suminokura repaired the Hozu River and opened the Oigawa River in 1606 (Keicho 11) at the beginning of the Edo period.
Sagano has become a key point of water transportation that connects Tamba and Kyoto, and wholesalers dealing with timber etc. have come to line up. The stone height of Sagano in the Edo period was about 2,400 stones, and it was paid by the official territory and the monzeki territory. After the transition after the Meiji era, it became Saga-mura, Kadono-gun in 1903 (Meiji 36), became Saga-cho in 1923 (Taisho 12), and was incorporated into Kyoto City in 1931 (Showa 6). After that, since the opening of Shin Marutamachi Dori in 1970 (Showa 45), it has developed rapidly. The bamboo grove around Nonomiya Shrine is famous. The area corresponding to Sagano Village during the feudal era (the area indicated by Sagano Town, Ukyo Ward), which was included in Tahata Village, Kadono District due to the great merger of the Meiji era. Sometimes it points.
Arashiyama is a tourist destination in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is designated as a national historic site and scenic spot. Originally, the place name refers to Nishikyo Ward (the right bank of the Katsura River), and the left bank is Saga, Ukyo Ward, but in tourist information, etc., the entire area around Togetsukyo Bridge, including the Saga area, is often collectively referred to as Arashiyama. Now, let’s deal with Arashiyama as the whole area around Togetsukyo.
Arashiyama is a famous place for cherry blossoms and autumn leaves. It has been selected as one of Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots and Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots. Located in the west of the city of Kyoto, it has been a representative tourist destination of Kyoto since it became a villa for aristocrats during the Heian period. The Togetsukyo Bridge over the Katsura River, which runs through the center of Arashiyama, is a symbol of Arashiyama. The name changes to the Oigawa River on the upstream side and the Katsura River on the downstream side across the Togetsukyo Bridge. On the north side of the JR San-in Line, there is a tourist spot called Sagano.
Originally, the main tourist attraction was the scenery of temples and shrines and autumn leaves. In the 1980s, the number of talent shops increased rapidly, mainly on the north side of Togetsukyo Bridge, and while it was crowded with young tourists such as school excursion students, there were criticisms that the atmosphere would be destroyed. After the burst of the bubble economy, these talent shops have decreased, and now they are almost nonexistent. Since the 1990s, small museums have been opened one after another, and a hot spring was excavated in 2004 (Arashiyama Onsen).
Many inns and shops were damaged by a large-scale flood on September 16, 2013, but restoration was promoted in time for the autumn leaves season, and most of the facilities were restored by early October. It resumed. Forestry is thriving in the Hozu River basin, upstream of the Oigawa River, and the river was once used to transport felled timber to the city of Kyoto. Arashiyama is the end point, and now you can experience the “Hozu River descent” that goes down the same course on a pleasure boat from Kameoka City.
Kyoto Prefectural Arashiyama Park
It is a prefectural city park that extends upstream and downstream of the Katsura River across the Togetsukyo Bridge, and covers an area of 10.6 hectares. It consists of three districts: the Kameyama district on the upstream left bank, which was opened in the late Meiji era, the Nakanoshima district on the clear stream sandbank, and the Rinkawaji district on the downstream left bank, which was opened in the Showa era. It is one of the most scenic spots in the prefecture, and tourists never cease throughout the four seasons.
Togetsukyo is a bridge over the Katsura River (Oi River) in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Togetsukyo Bridge is a bridge between the left bank of the Katsura River (north side) and Nakanoshima Park, which is a sandbank, and is entirely located in Ukyo Ward. The bridge is 155m long and 12.2m wide. The road has two lanes, and there are sidewalks on both sides. It is a tourist attraction and an important transportation route connecting both banks of the Katsura River, and is part of Kyoto Prefectural Road No. 29. In addition, Minamizume is the starting point of the Kyoto Yawata Kizu Bicycle Path.
The current bridge is a steel-framed reinforced concrete girder bridge completed in 1934 (Showa 9). In order to harmonize with the landscape, the design inherits the old wooden bridge, and the bridge surface has a bow-shaped shape with the central part about 1 m higher, and the balustrade is also the same wooden square lattice type as the conventional bridge. In addition to the many photographs of this bridge being used in tourist pamphlets, it is also frequently used in filming movies and TV dramas, making it a building that symbolizes Arashiyama as a tourist destination.
A bridge over the Katsura River that separates Sagano and Arashiyama, a spot that represents Saga Arashiyama, which Emperor Kameyama wrote in poetry. It is said that it was first bridged by the monk Dosho during the Jōwa era (834-848), and it is said that Suminokura Ryoi was erected at the current position in later years. The bridge currently in use was completed in June 1934. It was named Togetsukyo Bridge because Emperor Kameyama looked at the moon moving over the bridge and expressed his impression that it was “similar to the crossing of the moon without a bear.” It is a tourist attraction that represents Arashiyama, and is crowded with many tourists mainly in spring and autumn. In December, the bridge will be lit up from evening to night at Arashiyama Hanatouro.
Since the balustrade is made of wood, when a car collides, it may break through the balustrade and fall to the bottom of the river, or the fire of the discarded cigarettes may cause the balustrade to burn. There was no lighting facility on the bridge for a long time, but with the cooperation of related organizations, the local voluntary organization “Kyoto Arashiyama Hosyōkai” installed a siphon-type small hydroelectric generator at the branch with the Nishitakase River, which is upstream of the bridge. It is installed and the power obtained there is used to illuminate the bridge with LED lighting during the night. In addition, a system that can mutually supply with Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc. (grid interconnection) is adopted, and the profit from reverse power flow (selling power to the same electric power) is used to fund activities such as cleaning the surrounding area.
The view from the Hozukyo Observatory, invited by the winds of the four seasons, is a resting road in the city. It is a 10.7km toll road that connects Arashiyama and Kaohsiung. There are leisure facilities such as a barbecue corner, a dog run, an amusement park, and a boat stop at Arashiyama Takao Park, as well as an observatory overlooking Kyoto City and the Hozu Gorge in the nature that spreads out in the mountains. In addition, you can enjoy the scenery of the four seasons, such as cherry blossoms, azaleas, autumn leaves, and the cosmos garden at Flower Park. It is a leisure area equipped with a large parking lot that is convenient for exploring Takao Mio.
Sagano Sightseeing Railway Sagano Sightseeing Line
The Sagano Sightseeing Line is a railway line of the Sagano Sightseeing Railway that connects Torokko Saga Station in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture to Torokko Kameoka Station in Kameoka City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is Japan’s first tourist railway. Sagano Scenic Railway Co., Ltd. is a staple of Arashiyama tourism. A sightseeing train that connects 7.3km from Torokko Saga Station to Torokko Kameoka Station in about 25 minutes, and you can enjoy the beauty of the Hozu River Valley in each season. At Torokko Saga Station, there is also a 19th century hall that displays Japan’s largest railway diorama “Diorama Kyoto JAPAN” and real steam locomotives. Tickets (reserved seats for all cars) will be sold from one month before the boarding date at JR West’s Internet reservation service “e5489”, some stations in the Keihanshin area, and major travel agencies nationwide.
Arashiyama Tsusen Co., Ltd.
With the Oigawa River upstream of the Katsura River and Togetsukyo Bridge as the business area, we operate boating houseboats and cormorant fishing boats in the summer. The cormorant fishing boat operates from 19:00 on July 1st to September 23rd (from 18:30 in September), boating is basically reserved, and the captain goes back about 1km upstream with a bamboo pole. I will return to the place where I boarded. (About 30 minutes). There is also a rowing boat for rent. Keifuku Electric Railroad, near Hankyu Arashiyama.
Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama
A 6000 square meter wild monkey park on Mt. Iwata, a branch of Arashiyama. There are about 130 wild Japanese macaques in their natural state, and it is a great place to observe and experience nature with wild birds, insects and plants. You can overlook the city of Kyoto.
Okochi Sanso is a Japanese garden located in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. It is a strolling garden built as a villa by actor Denjiro Okochi, who is known for historical drama.
Arashiyama Hanatouro, Kyoto
Arashiyama Hanatouro, Kyoto, started in December 2005 with the intention of enjoying a night walk by lighting about 2,500 lanterns in the Saga-Arashiyama area of Kyoto Prefecture in mid-December. It is a sightseeing event with the theme of “lights”. Organized by the Kyoto Hanatouro Promotion Council. Taking advantage of the historical and cultural landscape that stretches from Arashiyama to the Saga area, it is decorated with numerous alley lights and flowers of fresh flowers to give it gorgeousness and shade, and by producing a Japanese atmosphere, it will become a new feature of Kyoto night. This is a tourism event that was started to attract tourists in winter. The total length of the road is about 5km. The theme of the organizer is “a road that makes you want to walk”.
In March 2003, the local tourism industry started a new tourism business, “Kyoto Hanatouro,” with the theme of “lights” in the Higashiyama area in order to create a new tradition of nights in Kyoto. (See Kyoto / Higashiyama Hanatouro). From December 2005, it will be implemented in the Saga-Arashiyama area as well. In 2011, the sixth year, the number of visitors exceeded 1 million, reaching 1.021 billion.
Mt. Ogura is a mountain with an altitude of 296m in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. It is located on the north bank of the Katsura River and faces Arashiyama on the south bank. It is also called Mt. Yuzo, Mt. Ogura, or Mt. Hidden. The Katsura River (both Hozu River and Oigawa River) flows through the western and southern feet of Mt. Ogura, the eastern foot is Sagano, and the northeastern foot is Kano (currently Saga Toriimoto District), which has long been known as a place of burial. It is a famous spot for autumn leaves and is also famous as a Utamakura. It is said that the poet Fujiwara no Teika of the Kamakura period put together Hyakunin Isshu at Ogura Sanso (Shigure-tei) near Enrian. Currently, the estimated site of Ogura Sanso, which is said to be the site of Shigure-tei, such as Jojakkoji Temple, Nison-in Temple, and Enrian Temple, remains. In addition, around Ogurayama, a monument is set up in the park as “Ogura Hyakunin Isshu Bungeien” (49 in Kameyama Park, 19 in the Nagakami no Mori district on the south side of Nison-in Temple, etc.).
At the northeastern foot is Atago Shrine’s No. 1 torii, Kashino Nembutsu-ji, and at the eastern foot is Gionji, Takiguchiji, Nisonin, Seiryoji (Saga Shakado), Jojakkoji, Rakushisha, Nomiya Shrine, Tenryuji, Okochi Sanso There are many famous temples and historic sites. In addition, there is Kameyama Park (Kyoto Prefectural Arashiyama Park) near the southern end of Mt. Ogura, and you can overlook the Hozu River from the observatory.
Kameyama Park is a park located in Sagakamenoocho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. To be exact, it is a part of Kyoto Prefectural Arashiyama Park (Kameyama district), but it is commonly called Kameyama Park after the cremation mound of three emperors including Emperor Kameyama on the hill in the park. The surrounding area is the so-called Arashiyama district, and there are many tourists throughout the four seasons, especially during the cherry blossom and autumn leaves season. Located at the southern foot of Mt. Ogura, Tenryuji Temple is on the east side, and Okochi Sanso is on the north side, which is one of the routes for visiting Sagano.
Sagano Sightseeing Railway The Sagano Sightseeing Line’s Torokko Arashiyama Station is nearby, and you can see the scenery of the Hozu River from the observatory in the park, including the running of the Torokko train. At the northern end of Kameyama Park, there is an entrance to an undeveloped mountain trail leading to the summit of Mt. Ogura.
Bamboo forest path
A 400-meter road leading from Nonomiya Shrine to Okochi Sanso through the north gate of Tenryuji Temple, where the bamboo grove that covers the sky is lined up in an orderly manner. A tourist attraction that represents Kyoto, with well-maintained bamboo grove on both sides of the road. It is said that it was a villa for aristocrats during the Heian period, and the sunlight through the trees is comfortable on sunny days, and it gets dim even in the daytime on days without the sun. In early winter, “Arashiyama Hanatouro” will be held where both sides of the bamboo grove are lit up.
Saga Toriimoto Traditional Buildings Preservation District
A townscape that has developed with the characteristics of both the gate town and the rural area of Atago Shrine, which is widely worshiped as the “god of fire extinguishing.” Machiya-style private houses with “mushiko windows” and farmhouse-style private houses called “Kuzuya” with thatched roofs are lined up against the backdrop of beautiful nature. At the Saga Toriimoto Townscape Preservation Hall (tel 075-864-2406) in Kyoto City near Atago Shrine Ichino Torii, a model that reproduces the townscape of the early Showa period around this area is on display, showing the state of life at that time. You can know.
Famous places and historic sites
Tenryuji Temple is the main temple of the Rinzai sect Tenryuji School in Sagatenryuji Suenobaba-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. The temple name is correctly called Reikameyama Tenryuji Seizenji. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai, Kaisan (founder) is Takauji Ashikaga, and Kaisan (first chief priest) is Muso Soseki. It has been regarded as the first place in Kyoto Gozan as a Zen temple related to the Ashikaga Shogunate and Emperor Go-Daigo. It is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”.
In the land of Tenryuji Temple, there was Danrinji Temple opened by Emperor Saga’s Empress Tachibana no Kachiko in the early Heian period. After that, Emperor Gosaga (reigned 1242-1246) and his prince, Emperor Kameyama (reigned 1259-1274), ran a detached palace in the land of Danrinji Temple, which had been devastated after about four centuries. It was called “Kameyamaden”. “Kameyama” is Ogurayama, which is located to the west of Tenryuji Temple and is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. It has this name because the shape of the mountain resembles the shell of a turtle. The mountain number of Tenryuji Temple, “Mt. Reigame,” is also associated with this.
Therefore, most of the existing cathedrals are from the latter half of the Meiji era. In addition, the garden of Muso Soseki (special scenic spot / historic site) on the west side of Hojo has a slight impression of the original. In addition, there are more than 2,500 documents called Tenryuji Temple documents, but many of the medieval ones lost their originals due to frequent fires (they are left in the form of duplicates such as drafts and heavy drafts). ), Since many documents of Rinsenji Temple, which are closely related to each other, were later moved to Tenryuji Temple, it is said that “generally called Tenryuji Temple documents, but in reality, Rinsenji Temple documents occupy the majority.”
On the other hand, in the early modern period, valuable documents such as the “year-round record”, which is a diary of the temple, are reported. Both are valuable historical materials for understanding the situation of Kyoto temples in the Middle Ages and early modern times. On the north side of Hojo, there are Emperor Kameyama and Emperor Gosaga, which are managed by the Imperial Household Agency.
The Tenryuji Garden is a World Heritage Site, and the Tenryuji Garden is a world heritage site. The traditional culture of the graceful Yamato-e style of the dynasty and the Zen culture of the Song Yuan style are skillfully fused to complete the unique beauty. Rocks are laid in the mountains behind the pond to represent a waterfall where a mountain stream falls into the pond, and carp fish stones are placed on it, which is likened to the story of Toryumon. The garden was created with the distant view of Arashiyama as a borrowed view, such as the natural stone bridge in front of it, the three-storied rock island, and the appearance of rocks like Ukishima, and is acclaimed throughout the four seasons.
Hogon-in is a temple of the Rinzai sect Tenryuji school in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, and is the head of Tenryuji Temple. The mountain number is Daikiyama. Gardens and buildings are used for filming historical dramas. Founded in 1461 by Yoriyuki Hosokawa, who invited Eiko Holy Naka to open the mountain. At that time, it was in what is now Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The temple area was purchased due to river construction in the Meiji era, which was burnt down in the Onin War (1467-1477) and revived in the Tensho era (1573-1591). Moved to the temple. In 2002, the current location on the south side of Tenryuji Temple was purchased, relocated, and revived.
Rokuo-in is a stand-alone temple of the Rinzai sect in Sagakitabori-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Kakuo. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai. Kaisan (founder) is Yoshimitsu Ashikaga, and Kaisan (first priest) is Shun’oku Myo. Kaoin was the head of a temple called Hodoji Temple built by Yoshimitsu Ashikaga (a temple built to protect the tombs of successive priests at Zen temples, etc.). Hodoji Temple was abolished due to the Onin War, and after that, only Rokuo-in Temple, which was the head of Kaisan, remains and inherits the temple registration.
According to the record of the Muromachi period, “Hanaei Sandaiki,” and the Kaisanden’s “Treasure Kaisan Perception, Fumei Kokushi Gyogyo Jitsuroku,” the history of the construction of Hojoji is as follows. One night in the first year of the Machete (1379), Yoshimitsu Ashikaga dreamed that “you will suffer a serious illness this year, but if you build a cathedral enshrining the treasure house, your life will be extended.” I received it. Therefore, Yoshimitsu decided to build a temple with his devoted Zen priest, Shun’oku Myojo (Fumei Kokushi) as the founder, and completed it in 1380. The original temple name was called Kosho-ji, and it was later renamed to Hoho-ji (detailed name is Daifukuda Hoho-zen-ji).
Rokuo-in Temple was built in the first year of Kakei (1387) as a tower to protect the Shun’oku Myoha Tower (a tomb built during his lifetime) in Kaisan (Haruya died in 1388, the following year). Hodoji Temple was the 5th largest temple in the Ten Temples of Zen Temple, but it was abolished due to the Onin War. Only the Rokuo-in Temple at the top of the tower remained. Rokuo-in was revived during the Kanbun era (1661-1673) by Tadatomo Sakai (a child of Tadatsugu Sakai, one of the four Tokugawa Tennos), and Tadatomo’s child, Tadatomo Gentake, became the founder of Chuko.
Jojakkoji is a temple of the Nichiren sect located in Saga, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Ogurayama. The old main mountain is Omotoyama Honkokuji (Rokujomon style). Located on the slope of the hillside of Mt. Ogura, which is sung by Hyakunin Isshu, you can overlook Sagano from the precincts. More than 200 maples are planted in the garden of the precincts, and the whole mountain is surrounded by autumn leaves in autumn. It is said that there was a Fujiwara no Teika Ogura Sanso “Shigure-tei” in the Heian period.
In the 5th year of Bunroku (1596) at the end of the Azuchi-Momoyama period, the mother of Hidemasa Ogasawara and the adopted daughter of Terusuke Hino, Enjuin, became the foundation, and the 16th Honkokuji of the Nichiren sect, Honkokuji, opened the mountain as a retreat. It was. It is said that the temple name of Jojakkoji was given because of its atmosphere like Jojakkoji. It was Suminokura Ryoi and his brother, Eika Kakukura, who donated the land at the foot of Mt. Ogura to the poet Nissho. The precincts were maintained with the help of Hideaki Kobayakawa and others during the time of Nisei Nisei (a child of Terusuke Hino).
In the Jojakkoji Garden, the mountain road leading from the Jojakkoji Sanmon to the Niomon and the main hall becomes a tunnel of about 200 autumn leaves in the fall. There is a long and narrow small pond in the west of the main hall where the guest hall of Fushimi Castle was moved, and it continues to the Tahoto and Kaiko. There is a mountain grass garden in Yamauchi, where you can see more than 100 species of wild grass. There are special exhibitions of seasonal flowers such as the Bonbai exhibition in early March, the peony exhibition in early May, and the Hualien exhibition in late July.
Seiryoji is a temple of the Jodo sect located in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is called Godaiyama. Known as Saga Shakado. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai, Kaisan is absurd, and Kaisan is the prosperity of his disciples. The sect first opened as the Huayan sect, and later developed as a “Yuzu Nembutsu Dojo” from the Muromachi period, combining Tendai, Mantra, and Nembutsu sect. In addition, it has a history of being Yamashita Betsutoji Temple of Atagoyama Hakuunji Temple (currently Atago Shrine) until the end of the Edo period.
Nison-in is a temple of the Tendai sect in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Ogurayama. The temple name is Kedaiji. For details, it is called Ogurayama Nison-in Temple Kadai-ji Temple and Nison-in Temple Nison-in Temple. The name of Nison-in is derived from the two statues of the principal idol, “Sakyamuni Buddha” and “Amitabha of Raigo”. The approach called “Autumn Leaves Baba” that enters the main gate is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. In the back, there is a place that is said to be the site of Shigure-tei run by the Fujiwara no Teika, who is related to Hyakunin Isshu. It is also handed down as the birthplace of An Ogura.
Misono-tei was given to the Nijo family, which was the princess of Emperor Gomizuo and the makeup of Yoshiko-naishinno, and was later relocated to Nison-in Temple, where it can now be viewed as a tea room. The room was used by the princess, and it has a high-quality atmosphere such as a delicate double-lattice ceiling. “Mizono” means the garden of the Imperial Palace, and you can leave yourself to the flow of time while gazing at the beautiful garden from the tea room.
Takiguchi-dera is a temple of the Jodo sect in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Ogurayama. The principal image is Amida Nyorai. Originally, it continues to this day, taking over the site of Sanpo-ji Temple, a child temple of the Yoseiin, which was founded by Honen’s disciple Ryojin. It was temporarily abandoned due to the abolition of Buddha in the Meiji era, but it was rebuilt in the early Showa period. It is known as the temple of tragic love between Tokiyori Saito (Irimichi Takiguchi) of “The Tale of the Heike” and the maiden flute of Kenreimonin. There is also Nitta Yoshisada’s kubizuka.
Giouji is a Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect Daikakuji school located in Okusaga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The temple itself is a temple. The mountain number is Takamatsuyama. The name of the institute is Yoseiin. The principal image is Dainichi Nyorai. The historic site of the Yoseiin, which is said to have been built by Honen’s disciple, Nembubo Ryojin. In addition to Dainichi Nyorai, the principal idol, a wooden statue of Taira no Kiyomori and the four nuns is enshrined in the main hall, and a memorial tower for Kiyomori and a Hokyointo for the burial of the Giou sisters are erected in the precincts. Known for its moss garden, the fall foliage is spectacular.
The temple name is derived from the Shirabyoshi Giou, who was later abandoned and priestly priest after receiving the favor of Taira no Kiyomori. According to “The Tale of the Heike” and “Genpei Jōsuiki”, Giou (21 years old), who was deprived of his seat in front of the young Buddha and was chased from Kiyomori’s residence, is his sister Gion (19 years old) and his mother’s sword. Along with (45 years old), he became a younger sister at the back of Saga, the hermitage of Kiyomori, and Hotoke Gozen (17 years old), who later realized that he had the same fate, joined Giou’s mother and child who had abandoned the old grudge. It is said that the four of them spent the rest of their lives in Nembutsu.
The garden of Giouji is a beautiful garden with a small thatched-roof hermitage covered with green moss. In late autumn, red and yellow fallen leaves are scattered all over, giving it a special atmosphere.
Kashino Nenbutsuji Temple
Kashino Nenbutsuji is a temple of the Jodo sect located in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Huaxi. Kashino has been a graveyard since the Heian period, along with Toribeno in Higashiyama and Rendaino in Rakuhoku, and is known as a place of burial. According to folklore, in Konin 2 (811), Kukai buried the remains that had become wild here, buried a thousand stone Buddha statues for memorial service, built the stone Buddha statue of Gochi Nyorai, and built Gochiyama Nyorai Temple. It is said that it will start even though it has been done. After that, Honen opened the Nenbutsudojo and became Nenbutsuji Temple.
The principal image is the statue of Amida Nyorai (it is called Tankei in the temple, but the actual author is unknown), and the main hall was rebuilt by Jakudo in the second year of Shotoku (1712) during the Edo period. The enormous number of stone Buddha statues and pagoda, which is about 8,000 in the precincts, is a collection of many unrelated Buddha statues scattered in Kano around 1903 (Meiji 36). It was named the Saiin River after the Sanzu River. There is also Mizuko Jizo in the precincts, and Mizuko kuyo is held on the fair of Jizo Bodhisattva.
Atago Nenbutsuji Temple
Atago Nenbutsu-ji is a temple of the Tendai sect in Sagano, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The principal image is Senju Kannon. Also known as a temple of 1,200 Rakan. Atagoyama It is known as the “starting point of the Sagano tour” located at the entrance of the foot of the approach to Atago Shrine. It was founded as Atago-ji Temple in the 2nd year of Tenpyo-jingo (766) by Emperor Koken near Rokuharamitsuji Temple, which is now the land of Matsubara-dori, Higashiyama, Kyoto. It is said that the name of the temple is derived from the first temple built in Otagi-gun, Yamashiro Province.
At the beginning of the Heian period, it seems that it was the last temple of the Shingon sect Toji school. During the time of Emperor Daigo, the temple was already a ruined temple, but the flood of the Kamogawa river that flows nearby washed away Dou and it was abandoned. After that, at the order of Emperor Daigo, the Tendai sect’s Senkannai (Dento Daiboshi) was reconstructed. Since Senkan, who was called the Nenbutsu Shonin, was chanting Nenbutsu at this temple, the temple changed its name to Atago Nenbutsu-ji and belonged to the Tendai sect. At this time, the temple was once equipped with the Shichido garan and the appearance of the temple was arranged, but after that, it was repeatedly raised and abolished, and finally the main hall, Jizo-do, and Niomon were left.
In 1980 (Showa 55), the dismantling and repair of the Niomon gate, which took 10 years, began, and the reconstruction of the precincts was started in earnest. The following year, 1981 (Showa 56), “Showa Rakan Carving” was started, in which ordinary amateur worshipers carved and dedicated Rakan statues themselves. Initially, the target was 500, but 10 years later it reached 1,200.
Daikakuji is a temple of the Shingon sect Daikakuji school, located in Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is called Sagayama. The principal image is the Five Great Myo Kings centered on Fudo Myo, and Kaisan is Emperor Saga. It is a temple related to the imperial family that changed the detached palace of Emperor Saga into a temple. In addition, it is a temple that is deeply involved in the political history of Japan, such as Emperor Go-Uda conducting a cloister rule here. In addition, it is the head office (Iemoto) of the flower arrangement Saga Goryu, who sees Emperor Saga as the ancestor. Because it is near Tahata, where there are many historical drama studios, the temple grounds (such as Osawaike and Akechimon) are often used for filming (especially historical drama) movies and television (#stage). Work).
Emperor Saga, who reigned in the early Heian period, ran a palace in this area located northeast of Sagano. It is said that Kukai, who had the trust of Emperor Saga, built a temple to enshrine the Five Wisdom Kings in the palace and practiced it. In 18th year of Jōgan (876), 30 years after the demise of Emperor Saga, Princess Seishi (Emperor Junna) changed the detached palace to a temple at Daikakuji Temple. Emperor Saga was founded by Prince Tsunesada, the grandson of Emperor Junna, as the founder of the mountain (first chief priest).
Osawa Pond is the scenic spot of Daikakuji Temple. Also known as Niwako, it is the oldest surviving artificial forest spring in Japan that conveys the style of the early Heian period. Maples, cherry blossoms, and pine trees are planted on the dam, and the Shinkyohoto is reflected on the surface of the water. There is a trace of Nakoso Waterfall, which was written by Hyakunin Isshu by Fujiwara no Kintō, saying, “The sound of the waterfall has been dying for a long time, but the name is flowing.”
In Saga Nanatsuzuka, the rural scenery spreads from Osawa Pond in the precincts of Saga Daikakuji Temple to Hirosawa Pond to the east. Small burial mounds are scattered in the countryside. Currently there are only 6 units, but since there were 7 units in the past, it is called Saga Nanatsuzuka. The tumulus is located in a place adjacent to a farm road or in the countryside, and since there is no enclosure, you can go to the immediate vicinity, but since it is all private land, do not go up on the tumulus unnecessarily.
Matsuo Taisha Shrine
Matsuo Taisha Shrine is a shrine located in Arashiyama Miyamachi, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Shikinaisha (Meishin Taisha), one of the 22 companies (the top seven companies). The old shrine was a large shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. Settled at the western end of Shijo-dori in the western part of the Kyoto basin. Originally, it is said that it started with a ritual at Banza, which remains on Mt. Matsuo (elevation 223 meters), and it is said that the shrine was established by the solicitation of Emperor Monmu in the first year of Taiho (701).
After that, it was enshrined as a deity by Mr. Hata, and after the transfer of capital to Heiankyo, it was named along with Kamo Shrine in the east (Kamo Betsurai Shrine, Kamo Goso Shrine) as “the god of the east, the fierce spirit of the west”, and the royal castle in the west. It was positioned as a guardian shrine. Since the Middle Ages, it has been worshiped as a god of sake, and even today it is a shrine that is worshiped by brewers.
The precincts are located at the foot of Mt. Matsuo, the Shintai. The main shrine was built during the Muromachi period, and is a two-way structure that is rare in Japan and is designated as a national important cultural property. It is also known to have many god statues, and a total of 3 statues of 2 male gods and 1 goddess are designated as national important cultural properties, and 16 others are designated as tangible cultural properties designated by Kyoto Prefecture. In addition, it is also known that the priest is a turtle.
The garden of Matsuo Taisha Shrine is a modern garden owned by Mirei Shigemori, and the ancient garden is an attempt to recreate the ancient god’s ancestor, Banza. In addition, there is a garden of curved water that mainly uses water, and a garden of Horai in the pond style.
Nikko of Saga / Dongein
Nikko camellia of Dongein on the west side of Rokuo-in. After the Onin War, Kumokain is a monzeki temple that was called the Gosho of bamboo, where the princesses of Go-Nara, Go-Nishi, and Emperor Kokaku entered the temple one after another. A large tree that grows like a high hedge along the corridor that separates the courtyard. (private)
Famous Koso Waterfall Ruins
The famous Koso waterfall was set up in the Takiden garden of the Rikyu Sagain, and it is said that it was created by Kasei Hyakusai in “Konjaku Monogatari”. The water withered early, leaving only the stonework. It was designated as a nationally designated name in 1918, and the medieval remains of water were discovered in the excavation survey from 1994, and the restoration was completed in 1999.
Rakushisha is an important historic site of Japanese literature, which stands quietly in the navel of Sagano, and has a quiet and nostalgic appearance with a thatched roof. Basho was the hermitage run by Mukai Kyorai (1651-1704), who was the most trusted of his students, and Basho, who loved the quiet atmosphere and the seriousness of Kyorai, came to her hermitage three times in total, especially. In the early summer of the 4th year of Genroku, he stayed for a long time and visited the famous temples of Saga-Arashiyama based on Rakushisha. The record is left as a masterpiece “Saga Diary”. Since then, Rakushisha has been heard as a “Haiku Dojo” and is still loved by many people who love grace.
A garden in Enrian. The south garden of Shoin has several maples, sonkyos, and lanterns on one side of the moss. Gorgeous autumn leaves. The tea room Shigure-tei has a beautiful thatched roof. The open-air cedar moss has a mountain village atmosphere.
Since it is located on the site of Yamashita Garden Materials, garden trees are cultivated. A circular mound with a diameter of 38 m and a mound height of 5.5 m. There is a double-sleeve side hole stone chamber that opens toward the south. A shrine that seems to belong to posterity is enshrined near the back wall of the entrance room. It is one of the old burial mounds that can be put in the city, but please note that we are not responsible for accidents or injuries on the premises.
Bronze statue of Tsuzaki Muraoka station
This bronze statue is a statue of the Tsuzaki Muraoka Bureau, a royal family at the end of the Edo period, and was erected in 1928. Muraoka station, the name is Noriko. Born in Saga in 1786 (Tenmei 6). He served the lord of the Sonno Jōi school, Tadahiro Konoe, and was named the Muraoka Bureau. The Muraoka Bureau played an active role in communicating with each other and between the scholars and the lord, especially by helping the movements of her husband and Takamori Saigo. For this reason, when the Ansei Purge occurred in 1858, the Muraoka Bureau was also captured, but after that, he retired to Kitasaga’s Jikishi-an and began to educate nearby children. The Muraoka Bureau is said to be the maiden of the Restoration, but in her later years she was also the benevolent mother of the Saga people. He died at the age of 88 in the 6th year of the Meiji era.
An Olympic stone pagoda that mourns the Kogo Bureau, which is located slightly upstream on the left bank of the Oigawa River (Katsura River) in Togetsukyo Bridge, Arashiyama, Ukyo-ku. Koto’s master Kogo was favored by Emperor Takakura (1161-81, Oho 1-Jisho 5), but was banished twice due to the jealousy of Kenreimonin (daughter of Kiyomori). The location of the mound is the first retreat. There is also a Hokyointo that mourns the Kogo Bureau near the Tomb of Emperor Takakura in Higashiyama Ward. Right next to the city bus Arashiyama.
Chuin Sanso Ruins
To the east of this area was Chuin Sanso, a master monk of Japanese poetry at the beginning of the Kamakura period. Rensei’s common name is Utsunomiya Yoritsuna, and he was one of the leading gokenins of the Kamakura Shogunate, a powerful family in Shimotsuke Province (Tochigi Prefecture). However, he left home to avoid being involved in political conflicts and was named Sanenobu Rensei. Later, he went on to study under Honen Shokū and then Yoshie Shokū, and ran a mountain cottage here. It is said that the famous song since Emperor Tenji, which Fujiwara no Teika, who had a close friendship with Rensei, wrote on the colored paper attached to the shoji screen of the mountain lodge at the request of Rensei, became the basis of “Hyakunin Isshu”.
Okochi Sanso Garden
This garden is a graceful garden that was steadily built over 30 years by the movie actor Denjiro Okochi (1898-1962) in the early Showa period, who was fascinated by the magnificent scenery from here Ogurayama, which is famous for Hyakunin Isshu. From the garden where many cherry blossoms and maples are planted, you can see the clear stream of the Hozu River in Arashiyama, Mt. Hiei and the streets of Kyoto, and there is a taste for each season.
Arashiyama Hybrid Museum
The 70-year-old Japanese house was renovated into a modern Japanese-Western space by the painter Masaryu Dai. “Hybrid” means hybrid, and is a small handmade museum where oil paintings, sumi paintings, kimonos, music, and culture / art are mixed. More than 20 works by the director, Masaryu Dai, and his son, Masaryuyama, are on display, and if a new work is drawn, the works will be replaced irregularly.
Saga Arashiyama Bunkakan
Saga Arashiyama has been sung as an ancient Utamakura, a museum that conveys the history of Hyakunin Isshu and the essence of Japanese painting. This museum is a museum that conveys the history and charm of Hyakunin Isshu, which is said to have been born in this area, and the essence of Japanese painting. The second floor is a 120 tatami mat gallery, and the view of the Oigawa River as a borrowed landscape is just like the world of Japanese painting. Along with the beautiful nature, we will deliver exciting special exhibitions every season so that everyone can feel and enjoy the beauty of Japan.
Kyoto Arashiyama Music Box Museum
Okusaga Toriimoto is a town that has developed with both the character of Atago Shrine as a gate town and the character of a rural area, and it is an emotional townscape with thatched-roof farmhouses and townhouses lined up against the backdrop of the beautiful natural scenery around them. Remains. In 1979, it was selected as a national “Important Traditional Buildings Preservation District”. The hotel has restored and maintained a traditional Machiya-style private house that retains the atmosphere of this Toriimoto, and opened it as a townscape preservation building.
Saga Art University / Saga Art Junior College Museum
It was built on the headquarters campus with the establishment of Kyoto Saga University of the Arts in 2001. Established to stimulate students’ creativity and to open the university to the local people and deepen exchanges with many people, the exhibition is open to the public. In addition to holding exhibitions focusing on the works of teachers who have been teaching at the university, local toys, fan paintings of trade fans, graduates’ works, etc., which have been in the possession since the time of Saga Art Junior College, we also hold special exhibitions. ing.
It is open to the public every spring (April-May) and autumn (October-November). On the 1st floor are the statue of Amitabha triad (national treasure), the statue of Samantabhadra Samantabhadra, the statue of Samantabhadra, the statue of Samantabhadra (important cultural property), and the statue of Buddha 10 Buddha statues such as the body, 4 statues of the four heavenly kings, and one statue of Samantabhadra helmet are enshrined. On the 2nd floor, the artifacts stored in the womb of the above-mentioned statue of Shaka Nyorai (national treasure) are displayed at any time. In addition, treasures such as “Song Painting 16 Rakanzu” (copy) are also exhibited.
Museum Saga no Ningyo no Ie
A beautiful and graceful Imperial Palace doll that represents the ancient city of Kyoto. A precise and profound Saga doll that is said to be the king of dolls. In addition, very small and cute poppy dolls, Kamo dolls, and fun Karakuri dolls are on display. There are many types of dolls in a bite. Enjoy the beautiful, unusual, interesting and craft beauty of various dolls.
Matsuo Taisha Sake Museum
Exhibition-An easy-to-understand explanation of the process of making sake, including an exhibition of traditional sake brewing tools, and an exhibition of various kiln liquor and sake by leading potters from all over the country. In addition, we plan to hold occasional events depending on the season.
Fukuda Art Museum
At the location where Togetsukyo Bridge looks most beautiful, Japanese paintings that “everyone can impress” are exhibited. The collection is a collection of Japanese paintings covering a wide range of famous painters such as Rinpa, Maruyama Okyo, Nagasawa Akiyuki, Maruyama Shijo, Ito Wakaoka and Yosa Buson, and modern Kyoto painters such as Takeuchi Seiho and Uemura Matsuzono. , We will hold a special exhibition four times a year. There are many easy-to-understand works that “even those who are not familiar with Japanese painting will be impressed.” The gallery, which has the image of a warehouse, has an exhibition case made of high-transmittance glass and a state-of-the-art lighting system, making it the most suitable environment for viewing Japanese paintings. There is also a superb view cafe “Bread, Espresso and Fukuda Art Museum” where you can see the Oigawa River and Togetsukyo Bridge most beautifully. Original museum goods that are particular about design are also popular. You can enjoy Japanese art with a superb view of Arashiyama.
A big Kewpie like a sumo wrestler suddenly appears on the walking path of Sagano. That is the entrance to the Memories Museum. About 5,000 toys from Edo to the present are displayed on the first floor of the building where nostalgic music is played. Karakuri puppet toys with spinning screens played by children in Edo, locomotives and automobiles that symbolize the times in the Meiji era of civilization, and the originator of modern Japanese characters, Masa Chan and a carefree father in the Taisho era. Being charming. Kewpie dolls and peace cartas at the beginning of the Showa era, Michi Boom’s wedding commemorative dress, tin toys for the dream super express Shinkansen, etc., you can feel that toys are mirrors of the times. Nostalgic and dramatic. It’s a museum full of fun.
Events / festivals
Daikakuji Saga Chrysanthemum Exhibition
Arashiyama Saigu procession
Double Ninth Festival
Yugiri memorial service
Flower arrangement festival
Prayer for improving performing arts
Saga Omatsuaki ceremony
Arashiyama Maple Festival
Saga Dainenbutsu Kyogen
Atago Kodo Kaido Light
Thousand lights memorial service
Arashiyama Hanatouro, Kyoto
Needle memorial service
Arashiyama lantern sink