Montmartre is a district of the 18th arrondissement of Paris dominated by the Sacré-Coeur basilica. Montmartre is primarily known for its artistic history, the white-domed Basilica of the Sacré-Cœur on its summit, and as a nightclub district. Since the 19th century, it has hosted many artists such as Picasso or Modigliani and has become the symbol of a bohemian way of life. Montmartre is also well known for its museums, vineyards,windmills, and the observation deck on the top of the mountain with a panoramic view of Paris.
The district of Montmartre which contains a hill known for its artistic history, the Bateau-Lavoir where Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, and Amedeo Modigliani lived and worked in early 20th century, the house of music diva Dalida, the Moulin Rouge cabaret, other historic features, and the prominent Sacré Cœur basilica which sits atop the hill.
Montmartre district is a multicultural, dynamic, and family-oriented district. The districts that make it up seduce as much as they surprise, with the emergence of many innovative and unusual projects. Lively and cosmopolitan, the Goutte d’Or district is renowned for its patchwork of haberdashery, its exotic grocery stores, but also for its new, very cutting-edge fashion boutiques, its organic canteens, and its cultural venues.
This charming quarter represents the 18th arrondissement of Paris centuries ago. The special atmosphere and sense of joie de vivre burst from every corner of the neighborhood, from the old-fashioned merry-go-rounds and bustling sidewalk cafés to hidden pedestrian staircases and tree-shaded terraces. Take a step back in time, while wandering its quaint cobblestone streets and relaxing in the leafy historic squares. Get off the beaten track and seek out spots like Espace Dali, or the site of Picasso’s famous early studio.
This most bohemian of Paris neighborhoods is known for its cobblestone streets, its village atmosphere, its nightlife, a big white church, and for the artists who found a home there more than a century ago. Up on a hill sits the former village of Montmartre, where narrow streets climb and bend their way up to Sacre Coeur, the white church visible from most everywhere in Paris.
Montmartre has captivated Bohemian artists since the Belle Epoque and continues to delight tourists today. Many artists lived, worked, or had studios in or around Montmartre, including Amedeo Modigliani, Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Edgar Degas, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Suzanne Valadon, Piet Mondrian, Pablo Picasso, Camille Pissarro, and Vincent van Gogh. Montmartre is also the setting for several hit films.
Montmartre today has no precise geographical limit: it is a historic Parisian district and not an administrative district. Known for its narrow and steep streets flanked by long stairways, this very touristic sector in the north of Paris is home to the highest point of the capital on the Butte Montmartre, one of the gypsum -bearing mounds formed on either side of the Seine and called the “hills of Paris”.
There’s a real sense of local life here with restaurants, streets, and shops to explore. Also famous for nightlife, at the foot of Montmartre you’ll find Moulin Rouge and late-night bars. Another famous landmark windmill in the district is the Moulin Rouge. This windmill has absolutely no agricultural function, and is in fact the place of origin of the French cancan dance.
Montmartre remained outside of the city limits of Paris until January 1, 1860, when it was annexed to the city along with other communities (faubourgs) surrounding Paris, and became part of the 18th arrondissement of Paris. In 1871, Montmartre was the site of the beginning of the revolutionary uprising of the Paris Commune.
The Basilica of the Sacré-Cœur was built on Montmartre from 1876 to 1919, financed by public subscription as a gesture of expiation for the suffering of France during the Franco-Prussian War. Its white dome is a highly visible landmark in the city, and near it artists set up their easels each day amidst the tables and colourful umbrellas of the place du Tertre.
By the 19th century, the butte was famous for its cafés, guinguettes with public dancing, and cabarets. Le Chat Noir at 84 boulevard de Rochechouart was founded in 1881 by Rodolphe Salis, and became a popular haunt for writers and poets. The composer Eric Satie earned money by playing the piano there. The Moulin Rouge at 94 boulevard de Clichy was founded in 1889 by Joseph Oller and Charles Zidler; it became the birthplace of the French cancan. Artists who performed in the cabarets of Montmartre included Yvette Guilbert, Marcelle Lender, Aristide Bruant, La Goulue, Georges Guibourg, Mistinguett, Fréhel, Jane Avril, and Damia.
During the Belle Époque from 1872 to 1914, many artists lived and worked in Montmartre, where the rents were low and the atmosphere congenial. Pierre-Auguste Renoir rented space at 12 rue Cortot in 1876 to paint Bal du moulin de la Galette, showing a dance at Montmartre on a Sunday afternoon. Maurice Utrillo lived at the same address from 1906 to 1914, and Raoul Dufy shared an atelier there from 1901 to 1911. The building is now the Musée de Montmartre.
Pablo Picasso, Amedeo Modigliani and other artists lived and worked in a building called Le Bateau-Lavoir during the years 1904–1909, where Picasso painted one of his most important masterpieces, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon. Several composers, including Erik Satie, lived in the neighbourhood. Most of the artists left after the outbreak of World War I, the majority of them going to the Montparnasse quarter.
Artists’ associations such as Les Nabis and the Incohérents were formed and individuals including Vincent van Gogh, Pierre Brissaud, Alfred Jarry, Jacques Villon, Raymond Duchamp-Villon, Henri Matisse, André Derain, Suzanne Valadon, Edgar Degas, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Théophile Steinlen, and African-American expatriates such as Langston Hughes worked in Montmartre and drew some of their inspiration from the area.
The last of the bohemian Montmartre artists was Gen Paul (1895–1975), born in Montmartre and a friend of Utrillo. Paul’s calligraphic expressionist lithographs, sometimes memorializing picturesque Montmartre itself, owe a lot to Raoul Dufy.
Among the last of the neighborhood’s bohemian gathering places was R-26, an artistic salon frequented by Josephine Baker, Le Corbusier and Django Reinhardt. Its name was commemorated by Reinhardt in his 1947 tune “R. vingt-six”.
Montmartre is a district of the 18th arrondissement of Paris dominated by the Sacré-Coeur basilica. Since the 19th century, it has hosted many artists such as Picasso or Modigliani and has become the symbol of a bohemian way of life. Until 1860, Montmartre was a commune in the Seine department. That year, under the capital extension law, the commune was annexed by Paris. Montmartre today has no precise geographical limit: it is a historic Parisian district and not an administrative district.
The hill of Montmartre which was the centre of the Communard uprising of the late-nineteenth century, but is also perhaps better known as the centre of the flourishing artist community of the period from around 1907-1914. Picasso, Dali, Duchamp, Toulouse-Lautrec, and others from the vibrant early modern period lived and worked here.
Montmartre is located on a hill, the Butte Montmartre. Montmartre is an old village which has kept a particular side within the capital. Known for its narrow and steep streets flanked by long stairways, this very touristic area in the north of Paris is home to the highest point of the capital on the Butte Montmartre, one of the gypsum -bearing mounds formed on either side of the Seine and called the ” hills of Paris “. At 130.53 metres, the altitude of the natural ground inside the Calvaire Cemetery, it adjoins the Church of Saint-Pierre de Montmartre.
The Musée de Montmartre is in the house where the painters Maurice Utrillo and Suzanne Valadon lived and worked in second-floor studios. The house was Pierre-Auguste Renoir’s first Montmartre address. Nearby, day and night, tourists visit such sights as Place du Tertre and the cabaret du Lapin Agile, where the artists had worked and gathered.
Near the top of the butte, Espace Dalí showcases surrealist artist Salvador Dalí’s work. Montmartre is an officially designated historic district with limited development allowed in order to maintain its historic character. An inclined railway, the Funiculaire de Montmartre, operated by the RATP, ascends the hill from the south while the Montmartre bus circles the hill.
Cinemas, performance halls and concerts … Many of Paris’ mythical cultural venues have taken up residence in the Montmartre district. There is notably the Moulin Rouge, a famous cabaret founded in 1889, La Cigale which has seen hundreds of talented artists pass by or Studio 28, a high place of the 7th art that many personalities have frequented (Jean Cocteau for name just one). There is also the Théâtre de l’Atelier, one of the few 19th century Parisian theaters still in operation today.
Montmartre is one of the most beautiful free panoramas of Paris. On the top of the Montmartre hill, there is a building created on the site of the massacre of the communards. Place du Tertre, where there are many painters and caricaturists. This place attracts many tourists. There is also the house of Érik Satie, the vineyards of Paris.
To the west of Montmartre, the Montmartre cemetery, where a few celebrities are buried, including Berlioz and Offenbach, the Goncourt brothers and also Dalida (tomb located at the back of the cemetery, to the right at the top of the steps on entering). A little further down, there is a fabric market, the Marché-Saint-Pierre. And if you continue to descend from the south, you find the Place Blanche and the world famous Moulin Rouge, always full of tourists.
Pigalle is an area in Paris around the Place Pigalle, on the border between the 9th and the 18th arrondissements. It is named after the sculptor Jean-Baptiste Pigalle (1714–1785). Downhill to the southwest is the red-light district of Pigalle. Pigalle area today is largely known for a wide variety of stores specializing in instruments for rock music. There are also several concert halls, also used for rock music. The actual Moulin Rouge theatre is also in Pigalle, near the Blanche métro station.
Pigalle is famous for being a tourist district, with many sex shops, theatres and adult shows on Place Pigalle and the main boulevards, summed up with more or less by a succession of sex shops and striptease bars where is the famous Moulin Rouge, the theater of the two donkeys. There are also a lot of street performances next to the Antwerp metro.
The area to the south of Place Pigalle is devoted to the retail of musical instruments and equipment, especially for popular music. A section of the rue de Douai consists solely of stores selling guitars, drums and musical accessories. Henri Toulouse-Lautrec’s studio was here. Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh and Maurice Neumont also lived here as did Andre Breton, and in 1928 Josephine Baker opened her first night club next door to Breton’s apartment.
Dynamic and in full mutation, the Montmartre district seduces as much as it surprises with the emergence of unusual projects. Picasso, Modigliani, Miro and before them Manet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Géricault, Renoir and Van Gogh, painters have for a long time made Montmartre their home, met up in cafes and busied themselves in the many artists’ studios on the Butte.
Sacré-Cœur Basilica, Paris
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica in Paris, France, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Sacré-Cœur Basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city. This wedding cake-white church rises visibly above the north part of Paris. The view over Paris from the dome and from the square before it (200 m above sea level) is unsurpassed. It is a popular landmark, and the second-most visited monument in Paris.
It is considered as both a political and cultural monument, representing a national penance for the defeat of France in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War and for the actions of the Paris Commune of 1871. Sacré-Cœur Basilica was built in a neighborhood which witnessed significant events by the Paris Commune of 1871.
Sacré-Cœur Basilica has maintained a perpetual adoration of the Holy Eucharist since 1885. The basilica was designed by Paul Abadie. Construction began in 1875 and was completed in 1914. The basilica was consecrated after the end of World War I in 1919.
The overall style of the structure shows a free interpretation of Romano-Byzantine features, which was a conscious reaction against the neo-Baroque excesses of the Palais Garnier cited in the competition. Many design elements of the basilica symbolize nationalist themes. The basilica complex includes a garden for meditation, with a fountain. The top of the dome is open to tourists and affords a spectacular panoramic view of the city of Paris, which is mostly to the south of the basilica.
Saint Joan of Arc Basilica
The Basilique Sainte-Jeanne-d’Arc is located on the Rue de Torcy and the Rue de la Chapelle in the quartier de la Chapelle of the 18th arrondissement of Paris. Its design was the subject of a contentious design competetition. The winning, partially completed design was eventually scrapped in favor of a more modest modernist design.
The stained glass windows in the church are made by the painter Léon Zack, while a bust of Joan of Arc is made by Maxime Real del Sarte. The full-length statue of the Saint (cast iron from the Denonvilliers foundry), located outside, is by Félix Charpentier.
Le Moulin-Rouge is a Parisian cabaret founded in 1889 by the Catalan Joseph Oller and Charles Zidler, who already owned the Olympia. It is located on Boulevard de Clichy in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, at the foot of the Montmartre hill. His style and name have been imitated and borrowed by other cabarets around the world.
The windmill Moulin de la Galette is now part of a restaurant of the same name, and is easily visible from the street. The windmill Moulin Blute-Fin, is within fenced private property, and may be difficult to see from the street expecially if there are leaves on the nearby trees. It is near the more visible Moulin de la Galette.
The Place Pigalle is a public square located between Boulevard de Clichy and Boulevard de Rochechouart, near the Sacré-Coeur, at the bottom of Montmartre hill. It is the best known place in the Pigalle district. By 1900 the square and the surrounding streets were a neighbourhood of painters’ studios and literary cafés of which the most renowned was the Nouvelle Athènes.
Montmartre is still abuzz with art with eclectic galleries and the Halle Saint-Pierre, where art brut is superbly represented. To delve into this art world of the past, visit the Musée Montmartre where you can wander around the former artists’ studios and a garden flanking the hill. And if you are a fan of surrealism, head to Dalí Paris, at 11 rue Poulbot. The museum pays tribute to this unclassifiable artist and his art.
The Espace Dalí is a permanent exhibition in France devoted to Salvador Dalí consisting mainly of sculptures and engravings. A fantastic and undeservedly little-known collection of the great surrealist artist’s often overlooked sculptural works. The museum, near the Place du Tertre in the Montmartre district of Paris, has around 300 original artworks. The collection features mainly three-dimensional sculptures of Dalí’s best known surrealistic paintings. However, some of works Dalí exhibited here are reproductions.
The collection exhibited is part of the Dalí Universe collection, curated by Beniamino Levi, Italian gallerist and collector. Sculptures such as Space Elephant and Alice in Wonderland are presented, and the visitor can also see other aspects such as Moses and monotheism, Memories of Surrealism, Don Quixote, etc. Music plays in the background, and there are creative workshops for children to give them the opportunity to become familiar with Dalí’s art. Adjacent to the museum are two art galleries: the Galerie Dalí which presents a selection of some of the artist’s works (sculptures, engravings and lithographs), and the Galerie Montmartre, which shows the works of several contemporary artists.
Musée de Montmartre
The Musée de Montmartre is located in Montmartre, at 8-14 rue Cortot in the 18th (XVIII) arrondissement of Paris, France. It was founded in 1960 and was classified as a Musée de France in 2003. The buildings were formerly the home of several famous artists, including Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Suzanne Valadon.
The museum is located in a 17th century house with a garden, and features the history and culture of Montmartre. It was home to many famous artists and writers such as Pierre-Auguste Renoir who painted his celebrated La Balançoire and Le Bal du Moulin de la Galette here in 1876.
The collections of the museum belong to the association Le Vieux Montmartre, created in 1886, and contains paintings, photographs, posters and manuscripts that depict the history of the neighbourhood, its effervescence, the bohème and cabarets from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The collection includes Le Cabaret du Chat Noir by Steinlen, Bruant au Mirliton, Le Divan Japonais or Le Moulin Rouge by Toulouse-Lautrec, La Place Pigalle by Maurice Utrillo, L’Autoportrait by Suzanne Valadon, Parce Domine by Willette, L’enseigne du Lapin Agile as well as the magnificent Théâtre d’ombres by Henri Rivière.
Opposite the square Léon, hides an extraordinary associative gallery: the Echomusée (21 rue Cavé) which is a center of artistic resources related to the district. Around this committed project are gathered volunteers from all walks of life: local residents, street art artists (Jérôme Ménager, Monsieur Chat, Misstic, Popay), or even musicians, etc. (Denis Lavant, Fantazio).
The Villa des Arts, a city of artists since the end of the 19th century, still hosts around fifty workshops today. Among these we can cite Paul Cézanne, Paul Signac, Raoul Dufy and Francis Picabia.
Studio 28 is an arthouse cinema with decor by Jean Cocteau. On display in this charming room: current films, great classics and thematic evenings. Do not miss its pleasant winter garden. Rue des Martyrs, the Divan du Monde – Madame Arthur hosts concerts of rock, pop or electro music and clubbing evenings while the cabaret part offers a musical show led by a troupe of transformist singers and dancers.
The Saint-Ange bridge which spans the railway tracks of the Gare du Nord now offers passers-by an open-air exhibition space. A selection of large format photographs is presented quarterly. At Les Libraires Associés (3 rue Pierre Lhermitte), collectors from all over the world flock to find rare books, and even vintage books for children. At 14 boulevard de la Chapelle, Chapelle XIV has the particularity of bringing together in one place an art and design gallery, a record store and a printing workshop. A unique concept imagined by the electro music production collective Yoyaku.
Lavoir Moderne Parisien
Dating from 1850, the Lavoir Moderne Parisien is a small theater that highlights contemporary creation and young emerging talents in a multidisciplinary program (dance, theater, performance, music, theatre, etc.). It is also the only one in the Goutte d’Or.
Institute of Islamic Cultures
The Institute of Islamic Cultures (ICI) is both a contemporary art center and a space for dialogue and learning. Language courses and artistic practices are also offered there: modern literal Arabic, calligraphy, Wolof, and Arab-Andalusian singing. It also has an associative restaurant-tea room: the Open Table. Open to all, the latter works on the mode of the social and solidarity economy (one meal purchased = one meal offered).
The Bateau-Lavoir (“Washhouse Boat”) is the nickname of a building in the Montmartre district of the 18th arrondissement of Paris that is famous in art history as the residence and meeting place for a group of outstanding early 20th-century artists, men of letters, theatre people, and art dealers. It is located at No. 13 Rue Ravignan at Place Emile Goudeau, just below the Place du Tertre. Maxime Maufra (1863–1918) was the first noted artist to take up residence in Bateau-Lavoir, around 1890. Kees van Dongen and Pablo Picasso took up residence between 1900 and 1904. After 1904 more artists and writers moved in, including Otto van Rees, Amedeo Modigliani, Pierre Mac Orlan, Juan Gris, André Salmon, Pablo Gargallo, Max Jacob and Pierre Reverdy.
It became an unofficial club that included artists Henri Matisse, Georges Braque, André Derain, Raoul Dufy, Marie Laurencin, Modigliani, Jean-Paul Laurens, Maurice Utrillo, Jacques Lipchitz, María Blanchard, Jean Metzinger and Louis Marcoussis; writers Guillaume Apollinaire, Alfred Jarry, Jean Cocteau, Gustave Coquiot, Cremnitz (Maurice Chevrier), Paul Fort, André Warnod, Raymond Radiguet, and Gertrude Stein; actors Charles Dullin, Harry Baur, and Gaston Modot; and art dealers Ambroise Vollard, Clovis Sagot, Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, and Berthe Weill.
While residing at the Bateau-Lavoir, Picasso painted works such as Young Girl with a Flower Basket, and Garçon à la pipe (Boy with a Pipe) in 1905, and one of his most noted works, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon in 1907, considered by art historians as a proto-Cubist painting (the precursor of a movement that became known as Cubism).
Wall of Love
The Wall of Love is a love-themed wall of 40 square metres (430 sq ft) in the Jehan Rictus garden square in Montmartre, Paris, France. The wall was created in 2000 by calligraphist Fédéric Baron and mural artist Claire Kito and is composed of 612 tiles of enamelled lava, on which the phrase ‘I love you’ is featured 311 times in 250 languages. The red splashes on the wall symbolize parts of a broken heart and can be gathered to form a full heart.
The 18th arrondissement Parisian sliding space, located on Boulevard Ney, it is the largest covered skate park in France. It offers 3,000 m² of sliding space for indulging in rollerblading, skateboarding or BMX.
Place du Tertre
The Place du Tertre is a square in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, France. Only a few streets away from Montmartre’s Basilica of the Sacré Cœur and the Lapin Agile, it is near the summit of the city’s elevated Montmartre quarter. Place du Tertre was the heart of the prestigious Benedictine Montmartre Abbey, established in 1133 by King Louis VI. Montmartre Abbey thrived through the centuries and until the French revolution under the patronage of the Kings of France. Place du Tertre was opened to the public in 1635 as Montmartre village central square. From the end of the 18th century until World War One, the whole Montmartre Boheme could be seen here: painters, songwriters and poets.
With its many artists setting up their easels each day for the tourists, the Place du Tertre is a reminder of the time when Montmartre was the mecca of modern art. At the beginning of the 20th century, many painters including Pablo Picasso, Amedeo Modigliani, and Maurice Utrillo were living there, some at the nearby Le Bateau-Lavoir. The Musée de Montmartre, the former home and studio of Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Suzanne Valadon, and the L’Espace Salvador Dalí, a museum principally dedicated to the sculpture and drawings of Salvador Dalí, can be found near Place du Tertre.
Place Dalida is the square of Montmartre, Paris, dedicated to French music icon Dalida Dalida loved the neighbourhood of Montmartre, where she lived. To honour her, by decree on December 5, 1996, Paris City Hall created the “Place Dalida”. A bronze bust of the singer was added on 24 April 1997, to mark the 10th anniversary of her death. This square is a place of commemoration and meditation for many admirers and citizens.
The Place Pigalle is a public square located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, between the Boulevard de Clichy and the Boulevard de Rochechouart, near Sacré-Cœur, at the foot of the Montmartre hill. The place takes its name from the sculptor, Jean-Baptiste Pigalle (1714–1785). By 1900 the square and the surrounding streets were a neighbourhood of painters’ studios and literary cafés of which the most renowned was the Nouvelle Athènes (New Athens). The Place Pigalle inspired a celebrated song by Georges Ulmer. Hungarian pop star Eva Csepregi, of Neoton Familia, mentions the square as a red-light district in her 1987 solo single Párizsi Lány (Paris Girls).
The Cemetery of Montmartre
The Cemetery of Montmartre is a cemetery in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, France, that dates to the early 19th century. It was built below street level, in the hollow of an abandoned gypsum quarry located west of the Butte near the beginning of Rue Caulaincourt in Place de Clichy. A popular tourist destination, Montmartre Cemetery is the final resting place of many famous artists who lived and worked in the Montmartre area.
In the mid-18th century, overcrowding in the cemeteries of Paris had created numerous problems, from impossibly high funeral costs to unsanitary living conditions in the surrounding neighborhoods. The Montmartre Cemetery was opened on 1 January 1825. It was initially known as le Cimetière des Grandes Carrières (Cemetery of the Large Quarries). The quarry had previously been used during the French Revolution as a mass grave.
The Montmartre Funicular is an inclined transport system serving the Montmartre neighbourhood. The Montmartre Funicular is a well-known sight in the district and gently winds its way up the hill. It loops around Place Blanche, embarking visitors on a 40-minute tour with commentary to discover the major local sights. The system carries passengers between the base of Montmartre and its summit, accessing the nearby Sacré-Cœur basilica and paralleling the adjacent staircases of Rue Foyatier. The 108 m (354 ft) cars climbs 36 m (118 ft) in under a minute and a half and carry two million passengers a year.
The Urban Farm in the square Alain Bashung and the Urban Farm in the Eole garden are an opportunity for a green and fun stopover for young and old alike. Meeting all kinds of animals: chickens, sheep, rabbits, is the highlight of the visit. The Urban Farm of the René Binet garden, for its part, makes its visitors aware of urban agriculture and livestock farming in the city.
The disused railway line of the Petite Ceinture with wild vegetation and high biodiversity is a real nature path in the city, ideal for strolling. Le Hasard Ludique, located in one of these former stations (128 boulevard de Saint-Ouen), is a hybrid place that is both bar-restaurant, performance hall and workshop.
Located north of the 18th arrondissement, Paris Saint-Ouen flea market straddling the municipalities of Paris and Saint-Ouen, this flea market is the largest in the world. Its 1,500 merchants display a unique collection of antiques over nearly 7 hectares: furniture, decorative objects, lighting, clothing, jewelry, records and much more. Allow a minimum of 2 hours to browse the aisles of the 11 themed markets in a magical atmosphere. Dining areas and bars allow you to prolong the experience and taste the spirit of the flea market.
Rue Myrha is the ideal place to enjoy a vegan burger or shop the Afro-streetwear creations of the Château Rouge brand. Nearby, rue des Gardes, known as the “Rue de la Mode” concentrates a large number of ethical and responsible designers.
The covered market of La Chapelle, also called the Olive Market, completely renovated in 2010, has around twenty traders offering a varied range of fresh products (fruits, vegetables, creamery, cheese, world cuisine, etc.). What to find happiness in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. A stone’s throw from the market, the En Vrac shop (2 rue de l’Olive) is reviving the sale of bulk wine. The best natural wines are offered there.
At the Laiterie de la Chapelle, all the cheeses are 100% organic and made in Paris: Tomme La Chapelle, Dormoy and Pajol are made and matured on site. A real treat, and a great success for this dairy which only works in a short circuit, with the Launay farm (Vexin).
Brasserie de la Goutte d’Or also sells the products it manufactures. Pioneer of the craft movement in Paris, the brewery draws from this multicultural and festive district, the taste influences necessary for the development of its craft beers, spicy, hoppy or collaborative.
At the beer bar Les Mah-Boules (14 rue de Jessaint), regulars and all the curious can enjoy a beer while throwing the jack. A long sandy pétanque track is the originality of this unique place, located a stone’s throw from the Bouffes du Nord.
For a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, go to the Café des Deux Moulins, the famous cafe of Amélie Poulain or Au Rendez-Vous des Amis. For a taste of typical French cooking, go to Au Cadet de Gascogne, ideally located on the Place du Tertre, La bonne franquette, in Rue des Saules. And on the heights, you’ll find Chamarré, a gourmet restaurant whose tree-filled terrace is spread alongside a long flight of steps.