Zojoji is a Buddhist temple of the Jodo sect located at 4-chome, Shiba Park, Minato-ku, Tokyo. The mountain is Sanenzan. It is called Sanenzan Kodo-in Temple Zojoji.
Zojoji is famous for his relationship with Tokugawa, the ruler of Japan during the Edo period, and six of Tokugawa Shoguns are buried in Taikuin Buried in the temple. The temple’s Sanmon Gate is the oldest wooden building in Tokyo, built in 1622. The original building, temple, spiritus, and cathedral were destroyed by fire, natural disasters, and air raids during World War II.
Located in the Shiba area of the port. Shiba Park is built around a temple, and Tokyo Tower stands beside it. In 2015, a treasure gallery opened in the basement of the Great Hall. Currently, paintings by Kazunori Kano and a model of Taitokuin spirit are on display.
It is said that Komyoji, which was built in the 9th century by Kukai’s disciple, Soei, in Musashikoku Kaizuka (now around Kojimachi and Kioicho, Chiyoda-ku) is the predecessor of Zojoji Temple.
Later, at the time of the Muromachi era (1393), during the 8th year of the Jodo sect during the 8th era of the Jodo sect, the Yugoshou was converted from the Shingon sect to the Jodo sect, and the temple name was changed to Zojoji. This Satoshi is a practical opening.
The disciples of Seiji Kaiki were the sons of Matsudaira, the third generation of Matsuda Nobumitsu, and the fourth generation of Matsudaira Nobumitsu. There was Keizen. In addition, Matsudaira Chitada’s fourth child, the super honored cow of the Jodo sect Sohonyama Chion-in 25th, and the honorable folu of the opening of the Tokugawa Shogunya Bodaiji Daijuji are all grandchildren of Seiji. From the Middle Ages, he had strong connections with Matsudaira and Tokugawa.
Since the Middle Ages, the history of the Tokugawa family until it became a bodhi temple is not always clear, but it is generally accepted that in 1590, Ieyasu Tokugawa passed by in front of Zojo-ji Temple when Edo entered the prefecture. It was said that the meeting with a person was the opportunity to become a bodhi-ji temple. Zojo-ji Temple, which once moved from Kaizuka to Hibiya, was moved to the current location by Ieyasu in Keicho 3 (1598) with the expansion of Edo Castle.
Feng Shui suggests that Kanei-ji Temple was located in Ueno, the demon gate of Edo, and that Zojo-ji Temple was moved to control the grass at Uramon Gate.
In addition to being the temple of the Tokugawa family, Danlin (academy and training center) was also set up, and became the first in the Kanto Hachihokudanrin. In addition, at the time of the memorial service of the Tokugawa Family Rules held on June 26, 1680, one of the magistrates, Tadakatsu Naito, the lord of the Toba feudal lord of Shima, was one of the same magistrates. It has caused a blade wound incident (Shiba Zojoji blade wound incident). In the TV drama “Mito Komon Part 17”, this incident was described as a trigger for Mitsukuni Mitsukuni’s departure (Kitsukuni’s comic tour is a fiction).
Also, in March 1701 (1701), when the envoy who moved down in Edo had to change tatami mats to visit Zojoji Temple, Takaya Yoshio of Takaya told the necessity of changing the tatami mat to Naganori Asano, who played the role of the emissary. Without telling, the episode that this was the trigger of the bruise on the shrine on March 14 is famous in the literary work Chushingura. It is unknown whether the case of tatami is historical. Naganori is the nephew of Tadakatsu Naito.
Immediately after the Meiji Restoration, under the Shinto National Religion Policy, it became the headquarters of the Daigakuin, a joint institution for training Shinto and Buddhist teachers and teachers, and set up the Daigakuin Temple. On the approach, there was a torii gate, usually built at a shrine. Later, on January 1, 1874, the fire was set by the Buddhists. Due to the collapse of the Tokugawa shogunate and the separation of the Shinto and Buddhas after the Meiji Restoration, the scale was reduced, and the entire precincts became Shiba Park.
The air raids during the Pacific War severely damaged the Tokugawa Family Mausoleum, five-storied pagoda and other archeological sites.
When Tokyo Tower was constructed, Zojoji provided part of the graveyard as land.
The term “Daimon” used in the name of the neighborhood (Shibadaimon) and the name of the subway station (Daimon Station) refers to the old main gate of Zojoji Temple. Today’s Daimon is a concrete structure that was renovated by the city of Tokyo in 1948 with the donation of citizens.
There were more than 120 buildings at the peak of the temple site, but most were burned by the bombing of Tokyo during World War II after the decline of Buddhism in the Meiji era (1868-1912). After the war, the Great Hall was rebuilt in 1974.
Sangendatsumon (Important Cultural Property)-One of the buildings that survived the war, and is a double gate built in 1882 (1622) (a multi-story gate with a roof on each layer). Through this gate, you will be able to break free of the three anxieties: ( greed, hatred, and delusion). Inside, there are three statues of Shaka and the sixteen arhats.
Great Hall-Reconstruction in 1974. In the Muromachi period, the statue of Amida Nyorai, worship Buddha, the statue of Honen Sujin, and the statue of Zendai Daishi are enshrined.
Ankokuden-Enshrines the secret Buddha, Amida Nyorai, which is said to be the capital of the Muromachi era and is known as the “Kuromotoson”. It was worshiped by Ieyasu Tokugawa and was originally a golden statue measuring 2 feet and 6 inches (about 80 cm), but it was darkened by smoke over many years. The book will be opened only on New Year’s Day 15, May 15, and September 15, and will be awarded a red seal inscribed as “Kuromoto Takashi.”
Tokugawa Family Mausoleum
Six of Tokugawa Shogun’s 15s (Hidetada, Isebu, Ietsu, Ieju, Iekei, Iemoge) are buried at Zojoji Temple.
Before World War II, the Taitoku-in (Hidechu) Mausoleum, the Sogen-in (Mrs. Hidetada) Rei-Pai, the Bunsho-in (Iesho) Mausoleum, and the Arisho-in (Ieiji) Mausoleum were designated as Old National Treasures (Buildings). It was as grand as Nikko Toshogu Shrine, but there were two air raids in 1945 and 68 buildings were damaged on March 10, followed by May 25 28 buildings were destroyed and most of the buildings were destroyed. At present only four gates of the Taitoku-in mausoleum, Arishou-in mausoleum two-ten gate, Bunsho-in mausoleum Oku-in-naka (cast-out gate), and eight treasure towers such as Bunsho-in and Arisho-in (described later) remain. is there.
Bunsho-in Temple Mausoleum Inside of the shrine (burned down by the war)
The following buildings are designated as Important Cultural Properties.
Taitokuin Mausoleum Somon (Shiba Park / The Prince Park Tower Tokyo)
Taitokuin Mausoleum Imperial Gate, Chojimon Gate, Onarimon (these three buildings were relocated to UNESCO Village (currently Sayama Fudoson) in Tokorozawa City, Saitama Prefecture when building the hotel)
Arishoin Mausoleum Divided by fences at Nitenmon (in Shiba Park / Tokyo Prince Hotel), and the paint was peeled everywhere and deteriorated intensely. Repair work is underway.
The bodies enshrined in these mausoleums were excavated in 1958, and cremated at Kirigaya Seiba. The Tokugawa Family Tomb has been relocated to the back of Zojoji Yasukuni. The gate (copper) at the entrance of the tomb was originally the middle gate of the Oku-in Temple of Bunshoin Mausoleum. The site of the mausoleum is the Tokyo Prince Hotel (Bunshoin, Arishoin, etc.) and The Prince Park Tower Tokyo (Taitokuin, Sogen-in, etc.). A part of Mrs. Hidetada’s former Sogen-in Reptile Place was relocated to Kamakura Kencho-ji Temple in 1647 and rebuilt.
Shiba Toshogu Shrine, adjacent to Zojoji Temple, was originally an Ankokuden shrine dedicated to Ieyasu, but was transformed into a shrine by the Shinto-Buddhist separation order. Ankokuden was the dominant branch of Zojoji Temple, and opposed the temple, but could not prevent independence.
The treasures and burials at Zokujoji Tokugawa Family Tomb after restoration are as follows.
Former Sogen-in Temple Pagoda (Stone)-Tomb of the second Shogun Hidetada (Taitoku-in) and his wife (Sogen-in). The Taitoku-in pagoda was destroyed by the war, and the couple is enshrined in the original Sogen-in pagoda. Inside the cemetery, farthest in the right row from the entrance.
Former Bunshoin Hoto (Bronze)-Tomb of the 6th Ienori (Bunshoin) and his wife (Teneiin). Inside the grave, deepest in the left column.
Arishouin treasure tower (stone)-Tomb tower of the 7th family succession (Arishoin). It is located in the cemetery, in front of the right row of Hidetada’s tomb.
Juntokuin Hoto (Stone)-Tomb of the 9th Ieju (Juntokuin). It is located in the cemetery, in front of the heir tomb in the right column.
Shintokuin Hoto (Stone)-Tomb tower of the 12th family Ikei (Shintokuin). In the grave, at the very front of the right column.
Shotokuin Hoto (Stone)-The tomb tower of the 14th Iemo (Shokutokuin). It is located in the cemetery, in front of the Tomb of the House in the left row.
Shizukan-in Temple Treasure Tower (Bronze)-The tomb tower of Ie Shigeto’s Japanese palace (Shikan-in Temple). It is located in the cemetery, in front of the Imoge Tomb on the left.
Puppet Tower (Stone)-In the grave, at the very front of the left column. Isunori’s father, Tsunaju (Seij 揚 in), Godai Tsunayoshi’s mother, Keishoin, 11th Ieyoshi’s regular room and Guangdai, 13th Ieizai’s regular room and Tensh 院 in, Ien 宣 ‘s side room. Gekkoin, Iesai’s concubine / Shimain, and Ikei’s concubine are Mikoin and Jyomyoin. A total of 35 other children related to the Shogunate are enshrined. Before the ritual, each treasure tower and tomb were independent. The current religious tower was originally Gekkoin Treasure Tower.
Important cultural property
Exodus from Sanmu (Sanmon)
Paper book, the Color Honnen Jinjin Vol. 2-Deposited at the Tokyo National Museum
Okura Kei Song 5,356 quires / Original 5,386 quires ・ Korea 1,259 books
Emperor Hanazono on the catalog
Another former national treasure, Kaizan-do, was destroyed in World War II along with the five-storied pagoda.
The important cultural assets, Taitokuin Mausoleum Somon and Arishouin Mausoleum Nitenmon, are owned by individuals, not Zojoji.
Tokyo designated tangible cultural property
Keizo (Tokyo designated tangible cultural property)
Wooden Amida Nyorai Seated Statue (Honson)
Wooden Buddha Buddha statue
Wooden sixteen arhat statue
Wooden statue of Hirometen and Tamonten
Wooden four heavenly statue
Former Somon Gate “Daimon”
Daimon, which is also used as a place name and station name in the surrounding area, refers to the old main gate of Zojoji Temple.
Daimon was donated to Tokyo because it was financially impoverished and could not be maintained due to the destruction of the temple territory by the Meiji Restoration Uechi Ordinance, and the property was owned by Tokyo Prefectural Government. As mentioned above, the current Daimon was rebuilt in concrete in 1938, with the height of its conventional design being increased to 5.25m, which was raised by the city of Tokyo in 1949, and for some reason thereafter. It was dropped from the Tokyo Metropolitan Property Inventory and its owner could not be confirmed.
Zojoji Temple had been requesting the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to transfer the Daimon as part of the precinct maintenance since around 1974, but the Tokyo Metropolitan Government was unable to respond to the statement that “things not in the property inventory cannot be transferred” and the owner remains unknown for a long time. It has been neglected. Due to the influence of this, Daimon became obsolete, and part of the tiles fell due to the Great East Japan Earthquake, which showed concern about safety, and the “ Daimon Promotion Association ” made by a local company in 2011 The request for repainting of Daimon was made to Zojoji from the media, and this issue was taken up by the media and the likelihood of return was heightened.
Afterwards, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government conducted a survey and found that the property was owned by the capital and was accidentally deleted from the capital’s property register. Decided to give away free of charge. A contract was signed between Tokyo and Zojoji on March 25, 2016, and returned to Zojoji from Tokyo.
As of April 2016, Zojoji has applied to Minato City for the registration of Daimon’s cultural property, and Minato City has indicated that it will exempt from occupying the road occupancy fee of Daimon on the ward road.
Zojoji is also planning to repair and repaint roof tiles during FY2016.
Hasuike-A pond that used to be behind the main hall. What used to be the big pool of the river that flows through here is now the pond of Zojoji. It is said that a woman at Toriisaka threw herself during the Tensho era (1573-1592). The woman’s name was called “Yuri” or “Sayo”, and was sometimes called “Sayoga Pond”. It is also called Fuyo Pond because of the lotus name “Kyo Fuyo”. .
It is possible to lend the precincts to broadcast TV programs or corporate parties. In the old days, Koji Yoshikawa broadcasted from the precincts on the music program “ The Best Ten ” in the 1980s, and in the 2010s it was used as a venue for presentations and parties of Ferrari’s new model “ 458 Spider ” .