Vevey is a town and municipality in Switzerland in the canton of Vaud located on the north shore of Lake Geneva. Vevey is home to the world headquarters of the international food and beverage company Nestlé, founded here in 1867. Milk chocolate was invented in Vevey by Daniel Peter in 1875, with the aid of Henri Nestlé. The residence of British American actor and comedian Charlie Chaplin was in Vevey, where he lived from 1952 until his death in 1977.
Vevey is located in French-speaking Switzerland in the west of Switzerland, on the axis which connects the city of Geneva to the canton of Valais. Sixth municipality of the canton by its population, it is the capital of the district of Riviera-Pays-d’Enhaut. As of December 31, 2018, the municipality of Vevey had 19,904 inhabitants. It is 23 km from Lausanne (A9), the capital of the canton of Vaud, 84 km (A12) from the federal city of Bern, 88 km (A9 – A1) from Geneva, 205 km (A12 – A1) from Zurich.
Geographically, it is located on the north shore of Lake Geneva at the mouth of the Veveyse. It is dominated in the northwest by the eastern slopes of Lavaux and Mont Pèlerin. The prealps begin to the east, with Les Pléiades as the first summit. The town covers an area of 2.38 km, including the city center to the south, the old town to the south-east and the hillside of Charmontey to the north-east.
Vevey and Montreux, places to stay par excellence on the Swiss Riviera. More than 15 km of beautiful flowers quays. Easy to reach and discover thanks to comfortable little mountain trains.
Prehistory and Antiquity
Remains dating from prehistoric times – in particular traces of a lakeside resort – were discovered in Vevey, but it was in the 4th century before the Christian era that a village, Viviscus (in Latin) developed, which was a stage for legionaries and merchants, at the junction of the roads linking Italy to the strongholds of Geneva and Avenches.
In the XX century BC., two lake stations on stilts were already installed in Vevey, one in the Sainte-Claire district and another in Creux de plan. In 1898, during the construction of Boulevard Saint-Martin, a necropolis of around thirty tombs from the Tène age was brought to light at a place called “En Crédeyles”. No other trace of habitation from this period has so far been found on the territory of the municipality.
In Roman times, Augustus began to build a commercial and military communication route from Italy. This route, which leaves from Milan, passes through the Grand-Saint-Bernard pass to reach Lake Geneva. In Vevey, it splits in two, one heading north to go to Aventicum, the other heading west and along the lake then the Rhône to Lugdunum. Thanks to this communication route, an agglomeration, defined as a vicus, was created between the Veveyse and Oyonne rivers in the current city center over an area of approximately 20 ha. The locality then bears the name ofOuikos in the Geography of Ptolemy. Indicated as a stage, it is called Vibisco in the Antonine itinerary, Vivisco on the Peutinger table and Bibiscon in the Anonymous of Ravenna. Roman ruins dating back to the II at the very end of the IV century, including a temple and a craft area, have been unearthed in the St. Clair area, during construction of the new College.
At the end of the Roman era, the city was probably temporarily largely abandoned under the pressure of the barbarian invasions. However, the discovery of the very important necropolis of Clos d’Aubonne in La Tour-de-Peilz, located 500 m southeast of the Roman Vicus, dating from the V to IX century, shows that the region remained inhabited. In 563, the landslide of Tauredunum caused a probable tsunami in Vevey and on all the shores of Lake Geneva.
After the decline of the Roman Empire, the small city was ravaged by barbarian invasions, fires, looting, and epidemics. It was not until the 8th century AD that it rose from its ruins and came back to life.
The city clearly begins to rebuild from the VIII century. Sigéric mentions it in 990 in the Via Francigena under the number and name of the stage starting from Rome LIII Vivaec. From the Middle Ages, several other names have survived: Viviscum (1011), Vivesium (1017), Vivois (1163), Vives (1177), Vivex (XII century) and Viveis (1225).
Submitted to several bishops and lords during the following centuries, it passed in 1250 under the domination of the House of Savoy. The distinct boroughs which then composed it, stronghold of the Sires of Blonay and Oron, were granted from 1356 franchises which were extended in 1370 to the whole city by Amédée VI, Count of Savoy. This is the origin of the municipal administration of Vevey. Passage of Emperor Rudolf III of Burgundy in 1011. Passages of Emperor Henry IV in 1076 and 1087.
In 1079, Vevey was divided into two, one part was given to the bishop of Sion, the other was given to the chapter of Lausanne then on his death to the lord of Blonay.
Around 1152 – 1153, passage of Nikulas de Munkathvera who descends from Iceland, on a pilgrimage to Rome and the Holy Land. Around 1155 he described this route in the Leiðarvísir where he cites Vevey as the junction point between Sigeric’s route and his own route from Scandinavia and Germany. He even specifies that here various travelers meet, Frankish, Flemish, Welsh, English, Saxon, Scandinavian. His pilgrimage thus joins the itinerary developed under the name of Via Francigena. In 1260, Pierre de Savoie became Lord of Vevey, to the detriment of the house of Zähringen.
Several episodes of plague punctuate the history of Vevey, notably in 1450 (1,400 deaths), in 1502, in 1613 (1,500 deaths) and in 1631.
From the Renaissance to the 18th century
Under the Bernese regime, from 1536 to the Vaudois Revolution of 1798, the city experienced great growth. Handicrafts and commerce flourished, the means of communication multiplied, the cultivation of vines spread, schools and philanthropic institutions were created.
The February 26, 1536, following the Bernese invasion of the country of Vaud, the Vevey deputies went to Morges in order to submit their city to the Bernese general Hans Franz Nägeli (of), not without having hesitated to join Friborg. The Bernese bailiff was initially housed at the Château de Chillon, then from 1733 in the building of the current museum of Vieux-Vevey. 1584: major earthquake which caused part of the walls to collapse. 1659: flood of the Veveyse which carried the Saint-Antoine bridge. During the night of June 30 at 1 July 1688, the city was almost entirely destroyed by fire. According to witnesses at the time, 220 to 250 buildings were completely destroyed, not to mention the damage to other homes.
1726: flood of the Veveyse which swept away the Saint-Antoine bridge. Under the Ancien Régime, the city authorities and the main officials were chosen by a lottery called ballotte, using small white or black, silver or gold balls, which voters placed in an urn specially built for this purpose.. Rare witnesses of this use have been preserved in some municipal archives, including Morges (boules) and Vevey (distributor of balottes); Yverdon possesses one of the most remarkable examples.
After the Revolution of Vaud of 1798, and during the XIX century, Vevey experiencing a period of prosperity and expansion. The mechanical construction industries (Ateliers de Constructions Mécaniques de Vevey), chocolate, powdered milk (Nestlé) and many tobacco factories (in 1890: Rinsoz, Ormond, Hoffman, Taverney & Cie, Ermatinger, Dupraz & Cie) are created. Public buildings rise from the ground, while city walls and medieval gates disappear.
The May 13, 1800, General Napoleon Bonaparte reviews 6,000 soldiers on the market square. Foundation in 1802 of the town of Vevay in Indiana by emigrants from Vevey. In 1807 the Saint-Antoine bridge was rebuilt to the plans of Nicolas Céard.
The April 9, 1861, the first trains of the Compagnie de l’Ouest-Suisse (OS) cross the city and stop there in a temporary station; the final station was not completed until 1862. The boom in tourism in the region, although already nascent (the Hôtel des Trois Couronnes dates from 1842) was particularly marked upon the arrival of the railway, with in particular the construction of the Hôtel d’Angleterre from 1866 and of the grand-hotel in 1867 (disappeared following a fire in 1957, on the current site of the Nestlé building). In 1858, the Samaritan hospital was built with donations, and it then offered the services of a local permanence (infirmary). In 1875, Daniel Peter invented the first milk chocolate.
From 1884 to 1890, major works to correct and contain the Veveyse were carried out, making it possible to protect the city from the strong floods of this river. The June 4, 1888, the second electric tram in the world is inaugurated between Vevey, Montreux and the Château de Chillon. The Taulan electrical plant on the heights of Montreux, provides energy alternately for the trams during the day, and for public lighting during the night. This link was definitively replaced by buses in 1958. In 1892, the commune of Corsier gives in Vevey neighborhoods of Arabia, Mats-Up, Plan-Top, Under-Cret, Crosets and Faubourg-Saint-Antoine.
In the 20th century, Vevey became the center of important companies, which ensured its prosperity and reputation. Its vocation as an industrial, commercial and tourist city, in a privileged location, at the crossroads of major transit routes, has asserted itself over time. An intense cultural activity has developed, which further adds to the attractions of the city, renowned for its charm and the beauty of its setting.
July 24, 1900: Inauguration of the Vevey – Chardonne – Mont Pèlerin funicular. The Nescafé was developed in Vevey in 1936 by chemist Max Morgenthaler. Important vineyard located in the upper part of the city gradually disappears during the XX century for the benefit of residential houses.
From 1998, the concept of Vevey, Ville d’Images was developed to highlight the multitude of companies and institutions linked to image and visual communication that work on the cultural and economic level on the Vaud Riviera. The Vevey Foundation, City of Images, endowed with a light operating structure, was created in 1999. Its aim is to set up a strategy aimed at developing and coordinating all initiatives linked to the image, both on the cultural, economic and tourist plan. The latest editions of the Visual Arts Festival, Images, have had international success. Stefano Stoll, after having made it fruitful as cultural delegate for the city of Vevey, was appointed director by the Foundation and is dedicated to it exclusively.
Vevey owes its economic development to its location on the north-eastern shore of Lake Geneva. It was an important transshipment point on the trade route from France to the Gruyère region and to Bern from early on. The goods were brought from France by ship to Vevey, where they were loaded onto carts and taken to their further destinations.
Vevey was still dominated by agriculture in the 18th century. Here the agricultural products of the surrounding area were processed and put on the market. At that time the trade included tobacco and cloth manufacturers, hatmakers, tanneries, but also marble workshops and watchmaking, which was initially done at home.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the city quickly developed into an industrial location, and in the further course of the century the structural change took place towards large companies. During this time, for example, the Caisse d’Epargne Riviera was founded as the first savings bank in the Canton of Vaud (1814), the Ateliers de constructions mécaniques de Vevey (1842) and the tobacco factory Rinsoz & Ormond (1852) were founded. Vevey became an important center of the chocolate industry: under François-Louis Cailler, Switzerland’s first chocolate factory was founded in 1819. During the 20th century there were several crises, for example during the 1930sWatch industry and during the Second World War in tourism. As a result, diversification took place in many areas of the economy. The recession of 1974 and 1975 also hit the industry hard, leading to numerous plant closures and ultimately to a decrease in the population of around 2,000 people within 10 years.
Today there are around 11,000 jobs in Vevey. With 0.5% of the workforce still employed in the primary sector, agriculture has become insignificant. Around 15% of the workforce is employed in the industrial sector, 85% of the workforce is employed in the service sector (as of 2001).
The most important company is still Nestlé SA, the largest food company in the world with its headquarters in Vevey. In addition, there are numerous other companies in the food and beverage industry, the pharmaceutical industry, printing and publishing, apparatus engineering as well as precision mechanics and microtechnology. Vevey is also the seat of banks and insurance companies, the city and district administration and the energy supplier Holdigaz. The city has two regional hospitals, namely the Hôpital de la Providence (since 1933) and the Hôpital du Samaritain (since 1956).
evey has developed into an important tourist destination since the first half of the 19th century. The Hôtel des Trois Couronnes was opened as the first large hotel in 1842; The Grand Hôtel de Vevey and the Hôtel du Lac followed in 1867 and 1868. Traffic development in the second half of the 19th century was important for the development of tourism: the construction of the railway line in 1861, the improvement of the roads and the construction of shipping docks made the city much easier to reach for foreign guests. Another boom was initiated shortly after 1900 when the surrounding heights, the Mont Pèlerin and the lookout pointLes Pléiades were developed by mountain railways. Another tourist attraction is the beach promenade, which leads along the entire Riviera to Montreux and is one of the most beautiful in Switzerland.
Vevey has developed into a very well-known summer health resort thanks to its mild climate and attractive location. However, the city is still overshadowed by Montreux, which is still a lot more important than Vevey as a tourist destination, especially due to the hotel palaces, the casino and the Montreux Jazz Festival.
Vevey and Montreux, places to stay par excellence on the Swiss Riviera. More than 15 km of beautifully flowered quays. Summits to discover thanks to comfortable little mountain trains. Romantic steamer rides on Lake Geneva. “Belle Epoque” style hotels, full of charm and memories, yet offering the greatest modern comfort. Bars, bistros and sunny terraces. And for your purchases, a full range of boutiques and shops.
A very old city, Vevey already existed during the lakeside era. Later, the Romans developed this town very well located on the shores of Lake Geneva, at the junction of the Avenches and Lausanne roads leading to Martigny and, from there, to Italy. The region combines the advantages of city and country life. Walkers can easily reach the mountains, forests, fields of narcissus and vineyards. Vevey and its neighbor, La Tour-de-Peilz, as well as the neighboring villages of Corseaux, Corsier, Chardonne / Mt-Pèlerin, Jongny, St-Légier-La Chiésaz and Blonay, are popular places to stay for tourists.
The Grande Place is dominated by a granary known as La Grenette, built in 1803 in the Neo-Classical “rustic” style. Behind La Grenette is the restaurant La Clef, in which Jean-Jacques Rousseau used to eat. The table at which he sat is still to be seen in the restaurant.
St Martin’s Church, a few minutes’ walk away from the Grande Place, contains the bodies of a number of those who condemned King Charles I of England to death – especially that of Edmund Ludlow who escaped to Vevey after the death of Oliver Cromwell.
Additionally, there is a large fork just off the shore of the lake. The fork was originally installed in 1995 as a temporary exhibit. Removed in 1996 and replaced in 2007, it finally got authorization to remain in the lake in 2008 and has become an emblem for the townspeople.
The quays extend over a length of 3 km, from the pier of Vevey-Plan to the Château de La Tour-de-Peilz, behind which hides the charming port which is reached by skirting the castle. Along the quays, three beautiful public parks, the Parc de l’Arabie next to the Veveyse, the Rivage garden near the Vevey landing stage and, further, the Roussi Garden between Vevey and La Tour-de-Peilz.
Church built in 1878 according to plans drawn up in St. Petersburg and consecrated to St. Barbara. It is open to the public on Tuesday from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. or by appointment.
Cabinet Cantonal des Estampes Museum
Museum of Fine Arts. This museum also houses the Cantonal Cabinet of Prints and the Kokoschka Foundation Collection. In the basement is the Municipal Library.
Temple of St-Martin
In the 10th century, it was a small church made up of three apses. The choir and the tower date back to the 13th century. At the end of the 15th century, we had to rebuild the church which threatened to fall into ruin. Only the choir and the steeple were kept of this one. In the 16th century, the tower was surmounted by an arrow that the wind carried away. It remained, from then on, as we see it today. Inside, the large mosaic and the stained-glass windows are the work of the painter Enerst Biéler. The choir stained glass dates from 1900, those on the north facade are from 1948. The upper windows were adorned in 1958 with beautiful stained glass windows by the painter François de Ribaupierre. An orientation table can be found on the terrace at the south-eastern corner, from which one enjoys an extended view. A municipal regulation specifies that, from the triangle closed to the east by the Catholic Church and to the west by the Nestlé building, the height of the buildings must not hide the Savoyard shore. (Reopened to the public in 1994)
Built from 1880 to 1882, it houses numerous memorials recalling the memory of personalities who lived in Vevey.
Notre Dame Catholic Church
The first stone of this building was laid in 1869 in the presence of Don Carlos of Spain and his wife. The Church was completed in 1872. Neo-Gothic style. At the entrance on the right side: commemorative plaque in memory of the hero of the independence of Poland, Henryk Sienkiwicz, writer and poet.
The Orient Tower dates from 1842. The fountain with three basins which is attached to it is the work of Michel Brandoin (1733 – 1790).
The Chateau and Musee du Vieux Vevey
This building, with a monumental roof, dates from the 15th century and was restored in 1733. It served as a residence for the Bernese bailiffs. The Château houses an excellent restaurant on the ground floor. On the upper floors are the Musée du Vieux-Vevey and that of the Confrérie des Vignerons. The first contains interesting witnesses of the Vevey past, while the second is devoted to the life of the Brotherhood of Winegrowers which sits in the Council Chamber.
This temple, founded in the 15th century, bears the name of the patroness of the Poor Clares order and was adjacent to a convent. At the Reformation, in 1536, the nuns had to flee to Evian. The church became a place of Protestant worship. the portal is by Michel Brandoin.
It probably dates from 1329 and is dedicated to St-Jean l’Evangeliste. It was once part of the chapel of the Vieux-Mazel Hospital. At the foot, the fountain designed by Michel Brandoin dates from 1778.
Museum of Food or Alimentarium
Foundation of the Nestlé House, opened in June 1985. The purpose of this museum is to identify the problems linked to food, yesterday and today. Numerous temporary exhibitions.
Statue of Charlie Chaplin
This statue, built in 1982, is the work of John Doubleday, British sculptor. It was bought by the City of Vevey in homage to the artist who lived the last 25 years of his life in Corsier-sur-Vevey.
This Louis XV style building was partly built in 1710 and finished in 1755. See the Salle des Pas Perdus, the beautiful wrought iron railing and the ‘Clock of 1709.
Formerly owned by Girard d’Oron, cantor of Lausanne cathedral, it was rebuilt several times, for the last time in 1746. It is currently the seat of the cantonal administration for the district of Vevey. Behind the Cour-au Chantre, beautiful park with an old well.
Rue du Center
The fountain surmounted by a warrior, built in this street, replaces one of the three wells that existed in the Middle Ages. The statue is said to represent St-Martin, although it looks more like a Roman warrior.
Rue du Lac
Reserved for pedestrians, it is the street of shops and antiques. At its western end, the Fontaine du Sauveur dates from 1817, Empire style.
Chateau de Aile
Neoclassical and neo-Gothic in style, the Château de l’Aile or Château Couvreau (named after a dynasty of Vevey trustees) offers a fairly characteristic example of 19th century architecture. Paul Morand, “the globe-trotter of literature” lived there for many years. This castle is private and cannot be visited.
Swiss Museum of the Camera
Founded in 1979 and transferred to this address in 1989, this very modern design museum houses an exceptional collection of old cameras. Temporary photo exhibitions.
Market Place or Grande Place
Very lively markets are held there on Tuesdays and Saturdays from April to November from 8 am to 12 noon. In July and August. folklore markets on Saturday morning with wine tasting. In the middle of the Square you can see an old granite press stone offered to the city by a Vevey winegrower and in which are engraved, as a token of memory, the dates of all the Winegrowers’ Feasts that took place on this historic place.
House of Mrs de Warens
House from the beginning of the 18th century. The name of Madame de Warens who lived evokes that of Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
Former grain market, built in 1808. Monolithic columns.
Cafe de la Clef
Jean-Jacques Rousseau stayed there in 1731. At that time, he could see Mme de Warens’ house from his window.
Theater de Vevey
Built in 1868 and reopened in 1992 after a major transformation of the existing building.
The town is also known for its large market on Tuesday and Saturday mornings. The Vevey folk markets, known locally as the Marchés Folkloriques, normally has up to 2000 visitors each Saturday over a period of two months. (Second week of July to end August). Visitors can buy a wine-glass and drink to their heart’s content while listening to brass bands, Swiss folk music, and watching traditional craftsmen at work. These Folk Markets are organised by the Société de développement de Vevey.
Vevey has numerous cultural institutions to offer, for example the Musée Jenisch, founded in 1897, with the city’s art collection and the natural science museum. It is named after Martin Johann Jenisch the Younger, whose father a. a. built the Jenisch-Haus in the Hamburg district of Klein Flottbek. The library of Vevey was opened in 1774 as the first city library in western Switzerland. The Musée historique de Vevey and the Musée de la vigne et du vin (Museum of the Winegrowers’ Guild) have been located in the former bailiff’s seat since 1953. The Musée suisse de l’appareil photographique (Museum for Cameras) has existed since 1979 and theAlimentarium, Museum of Nutrition. The city has several theaters and cinemas and is the venue for numerous festivals, including the Images Festival. The lakeshore is designed as a strolling and relaxation zone.
The town has several museums, including:
The second art museum in the Canton of Vaud, the Musée Jenisch Vevey devotes most of its exhibitions to drawing and engraving. The museum has housed the Cantonal Prints Cabinet since 1989. It has a collection of 10,000 drawings and 35,000 engravings, as well as 1,300 paintings. Inaugurated in 1897, renovated in 2012, the neoclassical building which celebrates its 120th anniversary in 2017, organizes three temporary exhibitions each year and simultaneously presents the various facets of its collections – works by Alechinsky, Courbet, Dürer, Hodler, Picasso, Rembrandt, Vallotton – in focus displays on various themes. Since 1988, the museum has housed the Oskar Kokoschka Foundation, whose collection includes more than 2,300 inventory numbers, paintings, watercolors, sketches, as well as almost all of the artist’s engraved work. A must-see cultural visit to the region, the Jenisch Museum strives to promote the richness of the paper work and shines the light on prints and drawings in all periods.
Swiss Camera Museum
Located on the shores of Lake Geneva, on the Grande Place in the heart of “Vevey, ville d’Images”, the Museum offers visitors of all ages the opportunity to discover the history of photographers and photography, its inventors and its techniques. through an exceptional collection of images and instruments, some of which can be manipulated. With the invention of film or film, photography has become the most efficient and popular way to produce an image and become a universal language. Without it, we would not know cinema or television, and science would very often be blind without its help. Installed in a daring setting where old and contemporary architectures blend together and equipped with multiple audiovisual and interactive installations, this high place of the image stands out as an essential stopover for every photography lover.
Swiss Museum of Games
The Swiss Gaming Museum perpetuates the desire to play in its “Castle of games” which hosts both a Scrabble championship and an initiation to awélé, a bridge, poker, chess or backgammon tournament; a game of croquet, games of skill, role playing or video; unusual games and juggling. It also organizes play workshops for children. In its attic, the castle presents a historical collection of games from Antiquity to the present day, while it reserves its ground floor for events.
Villa “Le Lac” Le Corbusier
A little gem of ingenuity and functionalism, the Villa “Le Lac” is an architectural manifesto in which we can already find the main ideas of the program developed by Le Corbusier in the 1920s for his famous “white villas”. Considered by many to be the founding act of a certain idea of modernity, the Villa “Le Lac” is one of the most personal and inventive achievements of architecture.
Vevey Historical Museum
The Historical Museum of Vevey, founded in 1897, occupies the rooms of the Château de Vevey. Formerly called “la Belle-Maison”, this 16th century residence was the residence of the Bernese bailiffs. It is in this historical setting that the museum’s collections bring the region’s past to life, from Celtic times to the present day. Objects, documents and numerous iconographic testimonies are exhibited in a presentation that respects the character of the house. Vaudois and Swiss furniture, crafts, old weapons, medal, manuscripts, engravings and paintings by the Little Swiss Masters constitute the main part of the permanent exhibition, which also includes a unique collection of particularly remarkable old keys, locks and boxes.
Founded by Nestlé, the Alimentarium is the first museum in the world entirely dedicated to food. Located on the shores of Lake Geneva, the Alimentarium explores all facets of food and nutrition from a historical, scientific and cultural point of view. The Alimentarium has opened with an exciting new exhibition and a completely redesigned space. A true living museum, it invites young and old to take a different look at an activity as steeped in history as it is emotional: eating. Combining discovery, experimentation and the deepening of knowledge, the Alimentarium offers a fun and interactive journey through three new exhibition sectors that address food, production methods, cultures and beliefs of the world without forgetting nutrition and functioning of the human body.
Museum of the Brotherhood of Winegrowers
The very old Confrérie des Vignerons sits on the first floor of the Château. It is within these walls that the famous Fêtes des Vignerons de Vevey take place every twenty-five years. A museum is dedicated to the testimonies of these celebrations of 17 th century to today. Costumes, models, flags, archives, prints, photographs and films illustrate this original tradition of Vevey life.
Collection of Natural History in the Vevey City
The city of Vevey’s natural history collection is one of the largest in the canton. It is made up of a magnificent zoological collection (mammals, reptiles, insects and shells): more than 900 birds, 150 mammals, around fifty reptiles, amphibians and fish as well as a valuable herbarium (Papon herbarium).
Discover places dedicated entirely to Charlie Chaplin. Come and live an unforgettable experience in the four corners of the estate: Discover the life of Charlie Chaplin in his family intimacy at the Manor, take a unique journey through the sets of his greatest films at the Hollywood Studio, a walk in the park as well as a An essential stopover at the shop and at the café restaurant.
Le Reflet – Théâtre de Vevey (1867-1868) by architect Samuel Késer
Grenette pocket theater
Casino du Rivage (1906-1908) by architect Charles Coigny.
Events and Festivals
The Confrérie des Vignerons (Brotherhood of Winegrowers) organises the Winegrowers’ Festival (Fête des Vignerons) four or five times each century (one per generation) to celebrate its wine-growing traditions and culture. On those occasions an arena for 16,000 spectators is built in the marketplace — the Grande Place, which is the second-biggest marketplace in Europe, after Lisbon, Portugal. The festivals date from the 18th century; the last five were in 1927, 1955, 1977, 1999, and 2019.
The Fête des Vignerons, which takes place approximately every 25 years. The last one took place from July 18 to August 11, 2019.
The fair of Saint-Martin. Very old show generally organized the autumn 2 or 3 Tuesday in November, close of November 11, festive St. Martin, patron of the city
The Clara Haskil International Piano Competition
Musical September Montreux-Vevey
Vevey Images Festival
The Festival Images Vevey, Bi ennale of the visual arts, is the first outdoor photography festival in Switzerland. Every two years, it produces new exhibitions of monumental photography in the streets of the city; it also offers numerous exhibitions in various places in the region dedicated to the image and presents the winners of the Grand Prix Images Vevey. Completely free, the Festival Images is both a real open-air museum and a quality platform for Swiss and international artists.