Oblastní galerie Liberec (The Liberec Regional Gallery) is a Liberec Art Gallery established by the Liberec Region as a contributory organization. The Liberec Regional Gallery is a specialized collector institution – the Museum of Art – operating in the Liberec region. It takes care of extensive artistic collections and offers visitors a tour of three permanent exhibitions of European and Czech art.
The change of the seat of the gallery is also related to the name change – since January 1, 2014, the official name of the Regional Gallery of Liberec. Since its inception, the gallery has hosted more than 700 exhibitions.
The collection of the collection fund The Liberec Regional Gallery is the original collection of art of the North Bohemian Museum. Their form changed significantly in 1904 after the death of Heinrich Liebieg (brother of Johann Liebieg Ml.), Who, together with a generous donation of 600,000 Austrian crowns, gave the city of Liberec. The Liebieg collection contained more than two hundred works of German, Austrian and French artists of the 19th century, and Heinrich Liebieg himself described it as one of the best collections in the then Austria-Hungary.
Liebieg Foundation’s money was purchased from German paintings of the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1918, Jablonec physician Anton Randa donated to the Liberec Museum a graphic collection of 6,000 graphic sheets of Italian, German, Dutch and French masters from 15 to 19. century. In 1927, a collection of Ferdinand Bloch from Prague was purchased, which, besides older paintings of cabinet painting from the period from the Baroque to the 19th century, focused on German-Czech painters of the 19th and 20th centuries (Wilhelm Riedel, Alfred Justitz, ad. ).
The beginning of the systematic building of the 19th and 20th century collection of Czech art falls into the early 1950s, when Jaro Beran, the native of Liberec and the graphic artist, became the first director of the independent gallery. Since then, purchases of artworks have been focused on the creation of a high quality collection of 20th century Czech art. In the 1960s, the then director of the Gallery, Hana Seifertova, wished to build a completely new collection of Dutch painting from 16 to 18. century. For all the authors of so-called “small masters”, names such as Jan Davidsz can be mentioned. By Heem, Thomas Heeremans, Jan Jansz. Van de Velde and Jacob Willemsz. By Wett.
Part of the collections are made available to visitors in regularly updated permanent expositions. The gallery offers a total of five permanent expositions: Heinrich Liebieg, collector and patron (German and Austrian painting of the 19th century – Wilhelm Leibl, Franz von Lenbach, Gabriel von Max, Eugen Jettel, August) on waves of art (Art from Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia) Von Pettenkofen, and the 19th century French landscape paintings, especially works by members of the Barbizon School and the Eugene Boudin Collection of Paintings), The Golden Age of Dutch Painting (Dutch Painting of the 16th-18th Century), The History of Baths and Galleries, and Either In Picture (Interactive exposure).
In the new headquarters of the Liberec District Gallery, gallery space has also been given great space, either in the form of an interactive exhibition Be in the picture or in the form of a large art studio.
The most important chapters of post-war art represented in the Regional Gallery are informal painting and sculpture of the 1960s (Bedřich Dlouhý, Josef Istler, Jan Koblasa, Mikuláš Medek, Zbyšek Sion, Jiří Valenta, Aleš Veselý), constructivist tendencies from 60th to 90th. (Stanislav Kolíbal, Radoslav Kratina), new figurations (Jiří Načeradský, Rudolf Němec, Jiří Sopko, Michael Rittstein, Frantisek Ronovsky, Jitka Válová, Rostislav Zárybnický), lettrismus and lyric abstraction. The collection also maps the creation of individual members of a number of artistic groups,
He regularly prepares short-term exhibitions and exhibitions in the graphic cabinet. The gallery’s tutorial department provides accompanying exhibitions and cultural programs for schools and the public throughout the year.
The gallery is open for you daily except Mondays from 10 am to 5 pm on Thursday until 7 pm. Every Thursday entrance free of charge.