In the city center area, Shijo-dori, Karasuma-dori, Kawaramachi-dori, you can enjoy sightseeing, shopping, gourmet festivals, “Marutake Ebisu ni Oike …”, and visiting the streets of Kyoto. The city center is easily accessible from Kyoto Station. Take the subway and get off at the second station, Shijo Station, where you will find the Shijo Karasuma area where Shijo Dori and Karasuma Dori intersect. It is one of Japan’s three major festivals, the Gion Festival, and is also famous as a place where floats travel. If you walk a little east from here, you will arrive at Kawaramachi-dori, where you can see many tourists. Shopping and gourmet food can also be enjoyed at the lively Nishiki Market. Nishiki Market is a kitchen in Kyoto with more than 120 shops lined up about 400 meters between Teramachi-dori and Takakura-dori on Nishikikoji-dori. When you take a leisurely stroll from Marutamachi Dori in the north to Gojo Dori in the south, you may feel closer to Kyoto by humming the song “Kyoto Street Name” and “Marutake Ebisu ni Oike …”.
Shimogyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. From Shijo Karasumaon Shijo Dori, which runs through the north side, to Shijo Kawaramachi (Kawaramachi Dori), it is one of the most popular downtown areas in Kyoto Prefecture and Kyoto City. Kyoto Station, which is located in the same ward, is a terminal around Kyoto City, and commercial facilities are concentrated around it, centering on the Kyoto Tower and Kyoto Station Building.
Shijo-dori is one of the main east and west streets of Kyoto City. It corresponds to Shijooji in Heiankyo. To the east is Higashioji-dori in Gion, from the bottom of the stone steps of Yasaka Shrine to the west to Matsuo Taisha Shrine. The entire section from Gion to Matsuo Taisha is the Arashiyama Gion Line, which is the principal local road, Kyoto City Road 186. From the bottom of Gion Ishidan at the eastern end of Shijo-dori to the vicinity of the Mitsubishi Motors Kyoto Plant in Ukyo Ward (up to several tens of meters east of the Umezu Danmachi intersection), there is a four-lane road, and from there the west side is a two-lane road. From Gion to Shijo Karasuma, it forms the largest downtown area in Kyoto around the Shijo Kawaramachi intersection.
Shijo Muromachi has been the central axis of Kyoto’s east and west as a main street since ancient times, as it is called Hon no Tsuji and is regarded as the center of Shimogyo. Due to the heavy traffic, traffic jams often occur, but during the period when the floats of Gion Matsuri stand, that part is restricted to one lane and the traffic jam tends to become more severe. By the way, the traffic light between the Shijo Karasuma intersection and the Shijo Kawaramachi intersection, where the floats are patrolled, has a structure that can be easily bent to prevent contact with the floats. From many places on Shijo-dori, you can see Higashiyama to the east of the street, Matsuo to the west in the opposite direction, and green mountains at both ends, which makes you feel like a basin wherever you are. The Hankyu Kyoto Main Line runs underground from Shijo Kawaramachi to Nishioji Shijo.
Gojo-dori is one of the main east and west streets of Kyoto City. It runs through the center of the city from east to west and is the main trunk line designated as a national highway in most sections. As the name of the national highway, the east of Horikawa Gojo is National Highway No. 1, and the west of Karasuma Gojo is National Highway No. 9 (Karasuma Gojo-Horikawa Gojo overlaps with National Highway No. 1). It is also an overlapping section of National Route 8 (east of Karasuma Gojo) and National Route 162 (Tenjingawa Gojo-Nishioji Gojo).
The eastern part of the street is called Gojozaka from the vicinity of the Gojozaka intersection, which is the intersection with Higashioji-dori, and from the Gojozaka intersection, it becomes a narrow road leading to Kiyomizu-dera and joins Kiyomizu (the eastern end of Matsubara-dori). In addition, National Highway No. 1 crosses Higashioji Dori at a grade separation and becomes Gojo Bypass, merges with Shibutani Dori, crosses Higashiyama and continues to the Yamashina Basin (including Gojo Bypass in this Yamashina Ward, it is sometimes called Hiroku Gojo Dori. ). The west is National Route 9 Katsura Bypass, which connects Katsura to the Kutsukake IC on the Kyoto Jukan Expressway via the Nishi Ohashi Bridge on the Katsura River.
Karasuma Dori is one of the main north-south streets of Kyoto City. It is as shown in the table, which is now called Suzaku. Originally it was read as “Karasuma”, but after becoming sound-repellent, the sound dropped out, and now it is read as “Karasuma” (Karasuma Dohori → Karasuma Street → Karasuma Street). There is also a public house called “Karasumaru family”, but this is read as “Karasumaruke”. It corresponds to Karasuma alley in Heiankyo. To the north is Imamiya Dori on the north side of Kitaoji Bus Terminal (Kitaoji Station). The south is divided at Kyoto Station, but extends to Kuzebashi-dori.
It is a four-lane road except north of Kitaoji Dori. After the birth of Kyoto Station in 1877, it became a main street in front of the station due to the widening of the street, which is one of the three major projects of Kyoto City, because it was widened as “Yukiyuki Road”. The Kyoto City Karasuma Line was also laid as one of the three major projects. It passed through the western end of the Kyoto Imperial Palace and crossed Kyoto Station from north to south, so it became the main street of Kyoto in place of Senbon-dori, which was Suzaku Avenue in Heiankyo.
Karasuma-dori is considered to be a business district in Kyoto, centering around the Shijo Karasuma intersection, and there are many banks and companies. The Kyoto Municipal Subway Karasuma Line was abolished by 1977, but later the Kyoto Municipal Subway Karasuma Line was laid under the road. In addition, the road width south of Hachijo-dori on the south side of Kyoto Station remained narrow for a long time, but it was widened to four lanes in 1988 in line with the extension work between Kyoto and Takeda on the subway Karasuma Line, and congestion on the parallel Takeda Highway was alleviated. It is useful for.
As for national roads, Karasuma Nanajo to Karasuma Gojo is National Route 24, and Karasuma Gojo to Karasuma Kitaoji is National Route 367. In addition, the section from Karasuma Shichijo to Karasuma Hanayacho, which is on the east side of Higashi Honganji Temple, meanders to the east and overlaps with the unknown gate street, but this is because the gate of Higashi Honganji Temple is crowded when laying the streetcar line. It was detoured to avoid doing this, and the alignment has not changed even after the streetcar was abolished (see the photo at the beginning). The roadside from Oike-dori to Shijo-dori is designated as a prohibited area for smoking on the street. “100 New Japan Roadside Trees” selected by Yomiuri Shimbun in 1994
Shijo Kawaramachi is the name of an intersection that straddles Shimogyo Ward and Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is also a name that refers to the central downtown area of Kyoto City, which spreads around the intersection. The area around this intersection forms the largest downtown area in Kyoto City. There are many other commercial facilities such as Takashimaya Kyoto, which boasts the largest sales in Kyoto, the long-established Daimaru Kyoto store, and department stores such as Fujii Daimaru for young people. Shijo-dori from the vicinity of this intersection to Shijo Karasuma and Kawaramachi-dori to Kawaramachi Sanjo, and Teramachi-dori and Shinkyogoku-dori from Shijo-dori to Oike-dori are integrated downtown areas. It is adjacent to Shijo Karasuma, a business district that represents Kyoto, and Gion, an entertainment district, both of which form the center of Kyoto City. Ponto-cho, which faces the north of Shijo Kawaramachi, is a flower district and entertainment district between the Kamo River and Kiyamachi-dori.
The intersection of Shijo-dori and Kawaramachi-dori, the center of Kyoto’s largest downtown area. It is said that there are no young people who do not go sightseeing in Kyoto and do “river bras”. In addition to Takashimaya, Marui, and Daimaru department stores, Shijo, Kawaramachi, Teramachi, and Shinkyogoku shopping districts are also densely populated, and are the starting points for fashion and taste. Directly below this intersection is Kyoto Kawaramachi Station on the Hankyu Railway Kyoto Line, which is directly connected to Takashimaya and Kotocross Hankyu Kawaramachi underground.
Kotocross Hankyu Kawaramachi is the place where Hankyu acquired the land, and in the past it was also the place where the neon sign of the Keihan Limited Express was installed. The underground passage is not connected to Gion-Shijo Station on the Keihan Main Line, but it is just across the Shijo Ohashi Bridge over the Kamo River, and it has good access to the Keihan Line. Gion is on the east side of Gion-Shijo Station on the Keihan Railway, and it is within walking distance to this area.
The area centered around Gion-Shijo Station, which is adjacent to Kyoto Kawaramachi Station across the Kamo River, is also known as a gay town. In terms of location, there are about 20 gay bars in Ichinocho / Shimizucho, Shimogyo Ward, Nabeyacho / Shimokorikicho, Nakagyo Ward, etc. Miyagawa-cho, which is located along the Kamo River near Kawaramachi Station, prospered as a flower district where “Kagema” (boys) entertained when young Kabuki huts and teahouses gathered during the Azuchi-Momoyama period. After that, there were also Yinma teahouses that specialize in selling colors.
Teramachi-dori is one of the north and south streets of Kyoto City. From Shimei-dori in the north to Gojo-dori in the south. On the way to Sanjo-dori, the south is slightly off to the west compared to the north, and it is not straight. The area north of Sanjo is Heiankyo’s Tokyo Gokuoji (Uncle Higashikyogoku). It was a main road at the eastern end of the capital, but now the street is limited to the east of Kyoto Gyoen because the Kyoto Imperial Palace has moved due to the decline of Ukyo and the successive wars. The name comes from the fact that temples were gathered on the east side of the street in 18th year of Tensho due to the remodeling of Kyoto by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. At this time, Honnoji was also moved to this street from the current Motohonnoji Minamicho, Nakagyo Ward. The deviation of the street in Sanjo, Teramachi, occurred because the large temple, Seiganji Temple, was moved from the current town of Seiganji Temple in Kamigyo Ward.
The purpose of collecting the temples was to improve the efficiency of tax collection and to defend Kyoto. It is said that by arranging the temples along the eastern Odoi, the aim was to reduce the fighting spirit of the troops entering from the east. It is written in Luis Frois’s “History of Japan” that the burden on the temple that was relocated in a hurry was heavy. It was close to the Kamogawa River and had many small sites, so it was often hit by floods and fires. Around this time, “Teranouchi”, which is also a temple concentration area, was formed in the northern part of Rakuchu as part of the remodeling of Kyoto to protect the northern side of Jurakudai, but unlike Teramachi, it is a dry area where there is no fear of flood damage. The difference in environment from Teramachi was clear because all of the Hokke-ji temples had large temples.
For this reason, it is said that the temple in Teramachi complained that “Gen’i Maeda, the magistrate, gave the Hokke-ji a good place because it was the Hokke sect,” but in reality, Hokke-ji such as Honnoji and Myomanji were moved to Teramachi. Was there. After the middle of the Edo period, some temples moved their temple grounds from Teramachi to Rakuto due to a series of fires. For example, Shinsho-do also moved from the vicinity of Teramachi Imadegawa to the present Sakyo Ward after the great fire of Genroku.
It used to be one of the main streets in the north-south direction, and the tram of the Kyoto Electric Railway Teramachi Line (later acquired and Kyoto streetcar) ran from Imadegawa-dori to Nijo-dori. When Kawaramachi-dori was widened in the 1920s, the streetcar route was moved there, giving up the position of the main street. After the discontinuation of the streetcar, the city bus used to take its place for a while, but it has also been abolished, and now it is a quiet street that is not bothered by noise. From Marutamachi Dori to Nijo Dori, there is a shopping street of the Teramachikai where antique art stores, art galleries, and secondhand bookstores are lined up. The section from Oike-dori to Shijo-dori is an arcade shopping street, and vehicles are not allowed to enter during the day.
From Oike-dori to Sanjo-dori is a Teramachi specialty store street, and from Sanjo-dori to Shijo-dori, which is parallel to Shinkyogoku-dori, is a Teramachi-Kyogoku shopping street that is always visited on school trips. Also, from Shijo-dori to Takatsuji-dori, it is a small electric town compared to Tokyo and Osaka, and it was a street that could be called Akihabara or Nipponbashi in Kyoto, but in recent years it has been suburban or Osaka Umeda. With the rise of large electronics retail stores near Kyoto Station, the number of electronics stores has decreased compared to the past, and new urban apartments are being built, similar to Akihabara, Nipponbashi and Osu.
Nishikikoji-dori is one of the east and west streets of Kyoto City. It corresponds to Nishikikoji in Heiankyo. It runs between Takoyakushi-dori and Shijo-dori. From the front of Nishiki Tenmangu Shrine on Shinkyogoku Dori to the west to Mibugawa Dori. According to the description of the story of Uji Shui Monogatari, it was called Toseigusoku alley in the Heian period, and after that it became a dung alley, and it was changed to Nishikikoji after Ayakoji, which is next to Shijo-dori on the command paper. Nishiki Market between Takakura-dori and Teramachi-dori is called Kyoto’s kitchen, and is an arcade with fruit and vegetable stores, fresh fish stores, dry food stores, and side dish stores, and a narrow cobblestone street.
Takakura-dori is one of the north and south streets of Kyoto City. It corresponds to Takakura alley in Heiankyo. From Marutamachi Dori in the north to Jujo Dori in the south. On the way, it is interrupted by Wataruen. It has a large curve at the Takakura overpass and connects to the Takeda Highway. The south is a mistake. The name of the street comes from the fact that there was Takakura-den, the villa of Mr. Fujiwara, along this street during the Heian period. At that time, many aristocratic mansions were lined up along the road. For example, Prince Mochihito, who set up a mansion in Sanjo Takakura, was called Takakura-miya.
However, the street has declined since the Onin War, and during the Warring States period, this street was the eastern limit of the town in Shimogyo. After that, it will be redeveloped in the Tensho era with Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s Kyoto remodeling project. It used to lead to Shimodachiuri-dori, but in 1708 (Hoei 5), the Imperial Palace expanded, and the section north of Marutamachi-dori disappeared due to the expansion. The townhouse in the disappeared town area was relocated to Niomon-dori on the east bank of the Kamo River, but the street that was opened at that time still exists as Shin-Takakura-dori.
During the period from 1523 (3rd year of Daiei) to 1673 (13th year of Kanbun), Chomyoji was located along the road, so it was also called Chomyoji-dori. Currently, it is a living road that runs in the center of Kyoto. The street is a one-way street except for the very short section between Bukkoji-dori and Takatsuji-dori and the section between Shichijo-dori and Hachijo-dori. It is going.
Marutamachi Dori is one of the main east and west streets of Kyoto City. It hits Kasuga Koji in Heiankyo, but swings northward near the Emmachi intersection and hits Nakamikado Oji in Heiankyo. It is said that Marutamachi Dori was named because there were many timber dealers along the Nishibori River along this street. If you look at the map of the Edo period, it may be written as “Marutacho-dori”. After the Great Fire of Hoei in 1708, the public house town was expanded to the extent that it touches Marutamachi Dori, so the southern end of Kyoto Gyoen is now Marutamachi Dori.
It extends from Shishigadani-dori in the east to Sagashakadoda Daimon-cho, Ukyo-ku in the west. The entire section is Kyoto City Road No. 187 Kagaya Arashiyama Line, which has four lanes in service and sidewalks. As with Imadegawa-dori, there are only four lanes wide and there are many major intersections without a right turn lane, so traffic jams occur frequently during the morning and evening rush hours.
The diagonal section between Matsuyamachi, Marutamachi and Chiekoin, Marutamachi is the part that was widened by the three major projects of Kyoto City at the end of the Meiji era. At this time, the section between Senbon-dori and Higashioji-dori was widened, and the laying of the Kyoto City Electric Marutamachi Line and the Kamogawa Bridge were replaced with a track-combined bridge. After that, the section between Shirakawa-dori and Nishioji-dori was widened by a project based on the revised design of Kyoto City from the end of the Taisho era to the first year of the Showa era. For a long time after that, the western end was to the Enmachi intersection in Nakagyo Ward, but in 1966 it extended west from Nishinokyo Enmachi to the Myoshinji-mae intersection, and in 1970 it further extended to Sagashakadoda Daimoncho in Ukyo Ward. Generally, this extension section is also called Shin Marutamachi Dori.
Famous places and historic sites
Former Rikyu Nijo Castle
Nijo Castle was built by Ieyasu Tokugawa in 1603 and has been the setting for many historical events. The third generation Iemitsu expanded the building and it became the current scale in 1626. A base is built about 600 meters east-west and about 400 meters north-south to go around the moat. The profound appearance of “Higashi Otemon” (important cultural property), Karamon (important cultural property) with stunning colorful sculptures such as “Shotake Ume ni Tsuru” and “Karashishi”, Ninomaru Garden (Special Place of Scenic) and Honmaru Goten (important) There are many highlights such as cultural properties (currently under repair work). At the Ninomaru Palace (national treasure), which was the place for the Taisei Hokan, pay attention to the corridor of the nightingale floor and the barrier paintings by the Kano school painters.
Ninomaru Goten Karamon is an important cultural property building in Nijo Castle. The main gate of Ninomaru Palace. It is a four-legged gate, and the roof is cypress bark. On the crowns and beams, colorful sculptures such as “peony and butterfly,” “dragon tiger,” “turtle-riding hermit,” and “peony and lion lion” are inlaid. Honmaru Yaguramon is an important cultural property building of the Kanei period in Nijo Castle. Of the buildings in Honmaru built by Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1626, the only yaguramon left unburned by the Great Fire of Tenmei in 1788.
Honmaru Goten Gojo Goten is an important cultural property building that was relocated in the Meiji era and was built in the late Edo period in Kyoto Gyoen. Of the four main palace, which consists of the entrance, the palace, the palace, the kitchen, and the Goose-no-ma, only the palace is partly two-story and has a mezzanine floor, so it looks like a three-story building. appear. Ninomaru Goten Goseisho is an important cultural property building in the early Edo period at Nijo Castle. A restaurant that seems to have been a dining room, following the south of the kitchen. There is smoke and a well on the south side. The Honmaru Palace Kitchen and Ganoma, like the Honmaru Palace Gojo Goten, were originally built in the Kyoto Gyoen National Garden at the end of the Edo period, and are important cultural properties that were relocated during the Meiji period. It is located in the northeastern part of the buildings in Honmaru. There is smoke in the kitchen and the floor is wooden. The photo is Ganoma. private.
The Ninomaru Garden was renovated by Kobori Enshu when Emperor Gomizuo was welcomed to Nijo Castle in 1626, and the stonework was devised so that it could be viewed from three directions, even among the existing castle gardens. It is one of the most outstanding works. Ninomaru Dozo (Yonezo) is an important cultural property building of the Edo period in Nijo Castle. There are currently only three rice breweries left. Nijo Castle is the only castle in Japan that has a storehouse. Ninomaru Goten Samurai and Car Yori are national treasures in the early Edo period at Nijo Castle. The distant samurai is the largest building in the Irimaya-zukuri book-roofed castle that was used while visitors were refraining from doing so. The car door is the entrance to the Ninomaru Palace attached to the distant samurai, and has a roof of Irimoya-zukuri cypress bark.
A townhouse built in the early Edo period, it is also used as a dormitory for Saigoku daimyo. In addition to the fire wall and fire well of the storehouse, there are various measures to prevent the invasion of enemies, such as hiding warriors on the ceiling, falling stairs, and fishing ladders. There are 13 rooms on the 2nd floor and 11 rooms downstairs, which are highly valuable as Jinya architecture, Sukiya architecture, and fireproof architecture.
A national park managed by the Ministry of the Environment, which is a vast green area 700 meters east-west and 1300 meters north-south that includes the Kyoto Imperial Palace, Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, Kyoto Omiya Imperial Palace, and Kyoto State Guest House. You can freely go in and out from all sides, such as Hamaguri-gomon, which is famous for the Kinmon Incident, and there are lawns and plum grove. In addition to rest houses and sports plazas, there are also historical remains such as the site of Kan’in Palace, a garden, an exhibition hall where you can learn about the history and nature of the garden, Shusuitei, and a tea room from the Edo period. The Imperial Household Agency manages the Imperial Palace, and the Imperial Household Agency Kyoto Office accepts visits to the Imperial Palace.
Kyoto City Hall
The government building has the characteristics of the traditional European style (neo-baroque skeleton), such as setting the entrance with a carriage in the center of the front, almost completely symmetrical, emphasizing the center and both wings protruding, and having a tower. It has an oriental architectural style inside. Construction was laid down in 1925 (Taisho 14), the main government building east building was completed in 1927 (Showa 2), and the main government building west building was completed in 1931 (Showa 6), making it one of the most characteristic of an integrated urban space. It is a landmark of the surrounding area. ”
This station is located at the intersection of the Karasuma Line and the Tozai Line of the Kyoto Municipal Subway, and is a transfer station for both lines. There are many accommodation facilities, and it is close to sightseeing spots such as Kyoto International Manga Museum, Nijo Castle, Kyoto Gyoen National Garden, and Shijo Kawaramachi.
It was a forbidden garden attached to the palace that was established at the time of Heiankyo construction, and the emperor and officials floated a ship in Oike, enjoyed songs, flowers, and music, and it became the origin of Oike-dori. Kobo Daishi Kukai practiced prayer rain and is also the birthplace of the Gion Festival. In the precincts that retain the remnants of the Heian period, there is the Hosei Bridge (red bridge) where wishes come true, and the Tokujin who enshrines the ehomaki of the year. There will be a Shinsen-en Festival in May and a performance of Shinsen-en Kyogen in November.
Historic sites of Nobunaga Oda and Yoshiaki Ashikaga. It is a unique dry landscape garden with scaly stones lined up. There are melon lanterns, eboshi stones, and Yobuko chozubachi in the park.
Festival of Suzuka Gongen. Gongen Suzuka (Seoritsuhime), who defeated the evil spirits who afflicted the people who went on the road in Suzukayama, Ise Province, is represented by a woman wearing a golden eboshi hat and holding a long sword. On the mountain behind, there is a red bear that represents the head of the defeated demon. It is rare for a pine tree standing on a mountain to have a votive tablet depicting a torii, a pine tree, a grove and a jewel, and it is also awarded as a talisman to prevent theft after cruising. The apron is a brocade of the Kinji Sennin figure, and the brocade is the same type of woven fabric, showing the figures of the Queen Mother of the West and Jurojin. Send-offs include the Ming dynasty Chinese embroidery, the peony phoenix embroidery, and Gekka Minagawa’s “Orchid of cloth”.
Gion Shinbashi Traditional Buildings Preservation District
Gion originated as the gate town of Gion Shrine, and in the Edo period, huts such as plays and Ningyo Joruri began to line up. The entire area of this area was developed as a teahouse town in Rokucho, Gion, and has developed from the end of the Edo period to the beginning of the Meiji period in deep connection with performing arts. Even now, high-quality and sophisticated teahouse-style townhouses are lined up in an orderly manner, and the traditional appearance is shown together with the beautiful stream of Shirakawa, cobblestones, and rows of cherry blossom trees.
It is called by this name because it has a new moon shape on the halberd. Tsukuyomi-no-Son is enshrined in the “Tennoza” in the middle of Maki. The attic painting by Kinji is written by Maruyama Okyo in 1784. The sculpture of Gable Crotch is said to have been made by Hidari Jingoro. The four-pillar anchor metal fittings and gable-scattering metal fittings are all splendid and the best among the floats. The embroidered Futatsuri spirit beast map of Mizuhiki is called a sketch of the Maruyama Oshin in 1835. The front and back hooks are made of splendid Persian Dantsu, and the body is made of Caucasus.
Kyoto Orthodox Church, Goddess Evangelical Cathedral
A church (a cultural property designated by the city) completed in 1903 (Meiji 36) as a base for Greek Orthodox missionary activities in western Japan. 217 square meters in Russian Byzantine style, wooden cruciform plane cathedral. Designed and supervised by Shigemitsu Matsumuro, a prefectural engineer who worked on the former government building of Kyoto Prefecture. Inside the hall, there is an iconostasis (partition by sacred obstacles and icons) of the imperial Russian era, which consists of three stages.
Kido Takayoshi’s former residence, Daruma-do
Takayoshi Kido is a politician of the Meiji Restoration from the Choshu clan. Born in 1833 in Tenpo, he was also called Kogoro Katsura and later changed to Kido’s surname. Together with Takamori Saigo and Toshimichi Okubo, he played a leading role in the defeat movement. The political affairs of Kyoto from the Bunkyu era to the Keio era were violently moving over the initiative, and the center was the imperial court, and the lord’s residence was also the political base with the Imperial Palace at the core. This old Kido residence was located in a corner of the base, and was a two-story wooden house that was taken over from the Konoe family’s lower residence and became a villa. In the adjacent Daruma-do, the adopted child of Takayoshi Kido, Chutaro Kido, mainly collected from the end of the Meiji era to the beginning of the Showa era, including toys, daily necessities, ornaments, calligraphy, posters, etc. There are tens of thousands of items on display, some of which are on display.
Niijima Old Residence
Doshisha’s founder, Joseph Hardy Neesima and his wife, Yae’s private residence (completed in 1878), is a two-story wooden Japanese-style building that incorporates Western-style techniques. In 1985, it was designated as a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City.
Suzakumon was located at the northern end of the current Senbon Street on Suzaku Avenue in Heiankyo. The gate is a multi-story building with seven rooms and five houses, a gabled roof, and tiled roof tiles with golden shibi on both ends of the ridge. It was burnt down in 1227 (Antei 1). 100 meters in front of the city bus Nijo station.
Honnoji Temple, where Oda Nobunaga was attacked by Akechi Mitsuhide and was destroyed by self-harm, is not the current location of Teramachi Oike, but is near Horikawa Shijo around 1582 (Tensho 10), and the temple area is 150 meters east-west and 300 meters north-south. After the change of Honnoji, Hideyoshi Toyotomi rebuilt at his present location. The current Instinct Elementary School stands in front of the gate in the center of the temple ruins. City bus Shijo Nishinotoin 300 meters.
A church built in Kyoto by Christian missionaries during the Azuchi-Momoyama period. In 1560 (Eiroku 3), a private house in the west of Rokkakudori Muromachi was used as a synagogue, and later moved to Shijo Karasuma, where the church was completed again in 1576 (Tensho 4) and became the center of Nanban culture. 1588 (Tensho 16) Defeated by Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s persecution of Christianity. There is a stone monument in Muromachi. City bus Shijo Karasuma 400 meters.
Oshoji Temple Lost Child’s Michishirube
It is a stone pillar on the north side outside the mountain gate. The front is engraved with “Michishirube lost child”, the right side is engraved with “Teaching person”, and the left side is engraved with “Looking person”. At that time, when a lost object or lost child is found, the person who lost it is taught to the person who picked it up. I wrote on this stone on a piece of paper and overhanged it. From the end of Edo to the middle of the Meiji era, when there was no police yet, lost children became a serious social problem and they were built in shrines and temples and red-light districts. Since it is a stone that plays the role of Tsukishita Hijin (matchmaker), it is also known as the “strange ice man stone”. The existing stone pillar was erected in September 1882 (Meiji 15).
Takamatsu palace ruins
Takaakira-den is the residence of Takaakira Minamoto (914-982), the prince of Emperor Daigo, who was called the Minister of the Left of Nishimiya. Takaakira’s daughter Akiko lived here and was called Takamatsu-den. After that, it was burnt down, but it was newly built in Hisayasu 2 (1146), and in 1155, Emperor Go-Shirakawa took the throne here. It is too famous that during the Hogen rebellion (1156), it became the home of Emperor Go-Shirakawa, and the forces of Minamoto no Yoshitomo and Taira no Kiyomori gathered here to invade the land of Shirakawa. After that, it was burnt down in the Heiji rebellion (1159), but the guardian shrine Takamatsu Shinmei, which was enshrined in the residence, still remains as Takamatsu Shinmei Shrine.
Ruins of Tou Sanjoin
The site of Higashi Sanjoin is a long and narrow area that is about 130 meters east-west and about 280 meters north-south, surrounded by Nijo-dori, Oike-dori, Shinmachi-dori, and Nishinotoin-dori. Where was the mansion. It was customary for a girl from Mr. Fujiwara to live as a queen and a mother. Fujiwara no Senshi, who became the empress dowager of Emperor Ichijo, went home and called him Higashi Sanjoin. After that, the residence was taken over by Fujiwara no Michinaga, but the residence was extremely precious, and a crown ship was floated in the pond in the garden, and the emperor’s deeds were sought, and the feast of the public house was actively held. The house was destroyed by fire in 1177.
Remains of Kyoto Shoshidai Kamiyashiki
From here to the west side of Omiya Dori (Marutamachi Dori in the north, Takeyamachi Dori in the south), most of the land is currently used for Machiken Elementary School. The name and position of Shoshidai began with the Samurai-dokoro of the Muromachi Shogunate, and the Tokugawa era was established immediately after the Sekigahara battle. He had strong authority such as monitoring, and was the most important position after the old age of the shogunate. In particular, the 3rd generation Itakura Shigemune was highly praised by the famous Shigemune. In 1862, Kyoto Shoshidai was newly established as a guardian of Kyoto, and was abolished due to the restoration of the royal government. In the 3rd year of the Meiji Era, Japan’s first junior high school, Kyoto Prefectural Kyoto Daiichi Junior High School, was built on the site.
Site of the Headquarters
An important supervisor of the Edo Shogunate established by Ieyasu Tokugawa after the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 (Keicho 5). Itakura Katsushige was the first shoshidai, and 58 people were appointed until it was abolished at the end of the Edo period. The ruins of the Nakayashiki correspond to the current Samurai Elementary School.
In March 1863 (Bunkyu 3), the Shinsengumi initially made the Yagi Mansion, which still remains in Mibu, Nakagyo Ward, a dormitory for 13 people, including Kamo Serizawa and Isami Kondo. Mibu Tonsho, the birthplace of the Shinsengumi. Two years later, in April, the Shinsengumi Horikawa Honjin moved from Mibu to the Nishi Honganji meeting place in Shimogyo Ward, and in the winter of 1865 (Keio 1), built a new camp at Horikawa-dori Kizuya Bridge in Shimogyo Ward.
Remains of the female red field
A girls’ education institution established in the early Meiji era. 1872 (Meiji 5) First, the New English School Women’s Red Field was opened in Marutamachi Dori, Kamigyo-ku. Later, after working at a girls’school, it developed into Kyoto Prefectural Daiichi High School (currently Kamotsu High School) in 1901 (Meiji 34). After 1873 (Meiji 6), he set up a city girl red field in each school district and taught sewing and handicrafts. There is a stone monument in Nishizume, Marutamachi Bridge. City bus Kawaramachi Marutamachi 200 meters.
Namikawa Tenmin Kogakusho Ruins
This place was where the Confucian doctor Namagawa Tenmin’s private school, Horikinosha, was located in the middle of the Edo period. Born in Yokooji Village, a suburb of Kyoto in 1679, Tenmin was a sexually active person, did not serve as a lifelong officer, and was content with destitute poverty, and studied at the private school Horikinosha in this area. In 1718, he died at the age of 40 and was buried in Seikanji Temple in Higashiyama.
Site of Seimikyoku
A solicitation educational facility established by Kyoto Prefecture in 1870 (Meiji 3) for the purpose of researching and disseminating physics and chemistry and industrial technology. The seimi bureau is the Dutch word for “Siemistri” (chemistry). Manufacture research of beer, glass, soap, etc., training many engineers. 1881 (Meiji 14) Abolished due to a change in business policy. A piece tag in front of the former Dohda Kogei High School. City bus Kawaramachi Nijo 200 meters.
Near Sanjo Tohoku, Senbon-dori, Nakagyo-ku. A boarding dormitory for university dormitories of Wake’s children. Founded by Wake no Kiyomaro in the Enryaku year (782-806), following the wishes of his father Kiyomaro. The university dormitory is a government official training institution located near the southwest corner of Nijo Castle, and students are 13 to 16 years old. It declined due to the fall of Mr. Wake and was abolished in the 10th century.
It is a 150-meter-square area surrounded by Nishinotoin-dori, Oshikoji-dori, Yukoji-dori, and Nijo-dori, which is northwest of here, and is where Fujiwara’s residence was located from the Heian period to the early Kamakura period. At first, it was the residence of Fuyutsugu Fujiwara, but it was called “Kan’in” after the transmission of Fujiwara no Kinsetsu in the early 11th century. In addition, it was used as the back of the village (temporary imperial palace) for more than 90 years in the 9th generation after the time of Emperor Takakura (1161-1181), but it was destroyed by fire in May 1259.
A detached palace built as the post-institution of Emperor Saga (the palace after the transfer) during the Konin period (810-24). In the Horikawa basin during the Heian period, there are residences of royal aristocrats such as Koyoin, Nijoin, and Horikawain, and Reizenin is one of them. The hospital was made into the Imperial Palace with good beauty, but it was torn down in 1055 (Tenki 3) after repeated fires and reconstructions. A piece tag and a stone monument on the north side of Nijo Castle. City bus Horikawa Marutamachi 200 meters.
Hideout of Yoshimura Torataro
The place where Torataro Yoshimura, a priest at the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, had a temporary appearance in 1863. This area was crowded with boats on the Takase River and became a perfect cover for the priests at the end of the Edo period. There are traces of Takechi Hanpeita, Sakuma Shozan, Katsura Kogoro, etc. in the vicinity, and Ikedaya is also nearby.
Rokuhara Tandai Ruins
A local agency established by the Kamakura Shogunate in the area of Higashiyama Ward, which extends from the current Matsubara-dori to Gojo and Shichijo, east of the Kamo River. 1221 (Jokyu 3) Hojo Tokifusa and Yasutoki start after the Jokyu War. This name is the site of the former Taira clan Rokuhara. 1333 (Genko 3) The curtain begins with the destruction of the Kamakura Shogunate. A stone monument in Rokubaramiji. City bus Gojozaka 300 meters.
Site of Ikedaya
In June 1864 (Genji 1), where the Ikedaya riot occurred. Seven defeated factions and three Shinsengumi died as a result of a brawl when the defeated factions of various clan such as Choshu and Doshu in Raku were attacked by the Shinsengumi during the conspiracy. This incident boosted the momentum for the debate. A historic site of the Meiji Restoration along with Teradaya. There is an izakaya with the theme of Shinsengumi here. In front of the shop, there is a stone monument engraved with “Ikedaya Incident Ruins”.
Remains of a teacher’s office (mission hall)
At the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, the teacher’s office, which was a common educational institution in Kyoto, opened with permission for 4 years in Tenpo, but declined and aborted several years later. With the support of Shingaku Kosha, which was engaged in relief activities during the famine of 1837, it was newly built and opened in July 1997 in the grounds of Sanjo Shimoru Jushinin. The teacher’s office is said to have actively participated in social work such as relief for hunger in addition to classes. It was burnt down in the battle of Hamaguri-gomon in July of the first year of the Genji era (1864) and rebuilt the following year, but after the Meiji Restoration, it became an elementary school during the Shimogyo four programs, and the teacher’s office disappeared.
Museum of Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture
A comprehensive cultural facility that introduces the history and culture of Kyoto in an easy-to-understand manner. Various special exhibitions are also held throughout the year. In addition, there is a “Rouji store” that has been restored to the appearance of a Kyoto townhouse at the end of the Edo period, where you can eat and shop. The red brick annex is a building of the former Bank of Japan Kyoto Branch and is designated as an important cultural property as a modern architecture representing the Meiji era.
The 3rd floor of the Ikenobo Building in the precincts of Rokkakudo Chohoji. A collection of ancient documents such as flower arrangements and secret books of successive flower arrangement Iemoto, vases, folding screens, and shafts. Mainly on historical materials related to ikebana, materials excavated when excavating the location and furniture of Chohoji Temple are also exhibited.
Kyoto Shibori Museum
A museum specializing in tie-dyeing located near Nijo Castle. The sophisticated technique and beauty of tie-dyeing in Kyoto are highly evaluated as arts and crafts such as western clothing, foreheads, and folding screens, and their masterpieces are specially released. The popular squeeze scarf dyeing is the only one in Japan where you can squeeze a silk cloth and experience dyeing. English is also available.
The permanent exhibition will showcase the bustling modern times of Shijo Kawara. The special exhibition is about Kabuki, Maiko, and Gion for a limited time. “Kitaza Bookstore” has a lot of Kyoto books.
Tin Toy and Doll Museum
Mainly in the Showa era, about 3,000 items from more than 15,000 items in the museum’s collection, such as nostalgic tin toys and celluloid dolls, are on permanent display. We replace about 10% a month. There is also a corner for corporate characters such as Astro Boy, Tetsujin 28-go, and Peko-chan. In particular, 300 domestic tin cars and 300 ultra monsters are a must-see! We are also holding a special exhibition at the same time. In addition to exhibitions, we also sell, rent, search for toys, rent exhibition spaces, doll memorial services, and accept donations.
Kahitsukan, Kyoto Museum of Contemporary Art
It opened in 1981 on the north side of Gion and Shijo-dori, near Kyoto Yasaka Shrine. Human beings lose their freedom because they are bound by the established theory in both academics and art. It was named “What a must-have building” because of the desire to maintain a spirit of freedom that doubts the established theory as “what, not necessarily”. In the hall, the exhibition and lighting are devised so that the true beauty of excellent works of art can be maximized in a quiet and tense ornamental space. A collection and exhibition of modern and contemporary paintings, crafts, and photographs centered on Kagaku Murakami, Kaoru Yamaguchi, and Rosanjin Kitaoji, who are the pillars of Kahitsukan. The permanent installation is Rosanjin’s work room on the basement of Kitaoji. In addition, on the 5th floor, there is a “light garden” where natural light comes in. Special exhibitions are also held several times a year.
Kompira Ema Museum
Yasui Konpiragu was opened to preserve the votive tablets unique to Japan. Approximately 600 votive tablets from the Showa period have been exhibited since the late Edo period. There are also votive tablets dedicated by modern cultural figures and entertainers. This is the preservation of votive tablets unique to Japan and the rediscovery of votive tablets as religious paintings.
Kyoto Municipal Museum of School History
Japan’s only “Japan’s only” that exhibits historical materials left at schools in Kyoto City and arts and crafts donated to schools, and conveys the passion of the townspeople who focused on the tradition of education in Kyoto and the management and establishment of schools. “School History Museum”.
Rai Sanyo Study Mountain Shimizu Akira
Rai Sanyo, known as the author of “Nihon Gaishi,” which was the driving force behind the Meiji Restoration, built a Kusado-style detachment in the garden of his home, Mizunishiso, in 1828. It consists of a four and a half tatami mat room with a small alcove, a two tatami mat study, a one tatami mat mizuya and a board, and a corridor. It is located in the center of Kyoto City, with the Kamo River flowing in front of it, and the scenery of Mt. Hiei, Mt. Hiei, and Mt.
The Tale of Genji
Faithfully restored “Genji Monogatari Emaki”, a cultural heritage that Japan is proud of in the world, at Kyoyuzen. Exhibition / Kyoto Yuzen National Treasure Genji Monogatari Emaki, Kyoto Yuzen National Treasure Genji Monogatari Folding Screen, Genji Monogatari 54 Pledge Wakashu. Experience / Hand-drawn Kyoto Yuzen experience corner. If you wish, please make a reservation by the day before. You will be asked to create your own hand-drawn Kyo Yuzen work.
Shimadzu Founding Memorial Museum
The building of the Meiji era, which was used as the residence and store of the founder, Genzo Shimadzu, is preserved as a museum. Various products that Shimadzu has worked on, such as physics and chemistry instruments, specimens / mannequins, medical equipment such as X-ray equipment, and industrial equipment, are exhibited. The building is located near the Takasegawa Ichino Funari, where industrial facilities were once established one after another, and introduces a new side of Kyoto, such as the history of modernization. The experimental corner where you can actually experience the wonders of science is also popular. Worksheets with souvenirs are also available for children under elementary school age.
Nishijinori Asagi Museum
It is a museum specializing in Nishijin-ori to convey the splendor and beauty of Nishijin-ori, which is a traditional industry that Japan is proud of in the world. You can see Nishijin-ori in the form of folding screens and frames, not just in the form of obi. Not only Japanese paintings but also Impressionist works are expressed in Nishijin-ori. You can enjoy the gorgeous world of Nishijin-ori.
Suzuki Ichizome Collection
Suzuki’s dyeing and weaving collection room where you can learn about the charm and fun of genuine fissures. The exhibition is divided into four seasons. First of all, it is important to see the real thing, and a collection room to help develop the eyes to distinguish the cracks.
Kanji Museum & Library
The “Kanji Museum & Library” is Japan’s first experience-based museum of kanji that creates many surprises and discoveries through exhibits that not only see, touch, learn, and enjoy kanji.
A museum where you can easily enjoy high-quality and fresh exhibitions while shopping.
Kinshi Masamune Horino Memorial Hall
The sake brewery of the Edo period is open to the public. Sake brewing tools and related materials are also on display. The main building (former Horino family main house), Tenmeizo, and Bunkozo are nationally registered tangible cultural properties.
Machiya Tenugui Gallery
A gallery on the second floor of Eirakuya Hosotsuji Ibei Shoten, a long-established cotton cloth dealer that has been in business for over 400 years, that conveys the culture of Machiya tenugui. The valuable collection that was a hint when reprinting the Machiya tenugui made from the Meiji era to the early Showa era is exhibited.
Gion Festival Gallery
An exhibition corner where you can learn about “Gion Matsuri,” one of Japan’s three major festivals. A full-scale halberd is installed, and you can observe the traditional technique of halberd construction, which is not usually seen, up close. There is also a miniature float and a large folding screen monitor that shows the highlights of the Gion Festival. It is in a location with excellent access and has a cafe, so it is ideal for a break while walking around the city. You can buy books and miscellaneous goods related to Kyoto at the gallery shop.
It is the only museum in Japan that exhibits historical relics that were deposited for research by Director Ii Date, a researcher of armor and sword history, with the understanding of the owners. We respect the relationship between history and history in the materials, and we are focusing on their examination.
Hanbei Bento Box Museum
On the 2nd floor of Hanbei, which was founded in the 2nd year of Genroku (Edo period), a large number of Edo period lunch boxes are on display. You can see the skill and playfulness of craftsmen and ancestors such as cherry blossom viewing, lacquer work according to the season such as playing in the river, and a lunch box in the shape of a shogi board. After watching, please spend a relaxing time while looking at the garden in the store on the 1st floor.
Kyoto Living Craft Center, Anonymous Building
Located in Rokkakucho, a part of the wholesale district of Kyoto kimono “Muromachi”, the building is a table house structure that can be said to be typical of the Kyoto merchants who traded white cloth wholesalers. It consists of a store, a residence, a storehouse, two gardens connecting them, and a street garden. By looking at a number of daily crafts (small sleeves from the Edo period, etc.), you can remember the lifestyle culture of Kyoto merchants from Edo to the Meiji, Taisho, and Showa eras.
Kyoto International Manga Museum
A new cultural facility that has both a museum-like function and a library-like function for collecting, storing, and exhibiting manga and conducting research on manga culture, as a joint project between Kyoto City and Kyoto Seika University. There are about 300,000 manga materials, including valuable historical materials such as Meiji magazines and postwar book rentals, current popular works, and overseas works. Of these, 50,000 manga books can be freely read anywhere in the museum. The building utilizes the school building of the former Tatsuike Elementary School, which was built in 1945, and retains the appearance of that time.
Kyoto Gion Lamp Museum
Located to the south of Yasaka Shrine, about 800 Japanese and foreign oil lamps that continued to illuminate people’s lives during the Meiji era are on display. There is a wide range of exhibits, from lamps that are extremely valuable as works of art to lamps that give a good understanding of Japanese customs at the time. It is rare in the world as a museum that exhibits only many oil lamps, and it is also useful as a learning material.
Gohki Endoh Museum
A collection and exhibition of about 2000 works by Gohki Endoh, an existing artist in Kyoto-oil paintings, watercolors, and drawings. You can appreciate the whole picture of Endo art from the beginning to the new work. A three-story reinforced concrete model modeled on a Greek temple. The interior of the building has a unique space created by the decorative design of Naranoki, such as the exposed concrete walls and the handrails of the front entrance and stairs.
Onishi Seiwemon Museum
In Sanjo Kamanza, Kyoto, the tea ceremony kettle and tea utensils that have been handed down to the Onishi family, the ten masters of the Senke, who have maintained the tradition and skill of the tea ceremony kettle for about 400 years, are open to the public. During the exhibition period, events such as tea ceremony and lectures, “ornamental party” in which parents and children participate, and appreciation party where you can enjoy while touching the masterpieces of the tea ceremony pot are held.
Events / festivals
Pumpkin memorial service
Four-headed tea ceremony
Kyoto Summer Festival / Yuzen Nagashi Fantasy
Kuya Dance Nembutsu
Chudoji Rokusai Nenbutsu
Citizen’s Tea Ceremony (Autumn)
Twenty days Ebisu festival
Toka Ebisu Grand Festival
Spring Kompira Festival
Jizo Jizo Merit Day Festival
Kagai of Kyoto joint performance “The bustle of the city”
Kuya-do Kaisan Memorial
Mikoshi washing ceremony
Citizen’s Sencha Association (Spring)
Benzaiten special prayer party
Takasegawa Boat Festival
Go down Kamogawa
Good example Kaomi Seiko
Go through Gion
Imperial clothes tea
Shinsen-en Garden Dainenbutsu Kyogen
Nijo Castle Kansakura Tea Ceremony
Kamogawa Noryo Yuka
Prajna Shinkeiho memorial service
Mibu Rokusai Nenbutsu
Business card Thanksgiving