The Centro Cultural Banco do Brazil Rio de Janeiro, briefly CCBB Rio de Janeiro or CCBB RJ, it is a cultural center located in the district center, in Zona Central city of Rio de Janeiro. It is part of a network of cultural spaces, called Banco do Brasil Cultural Center, managed and maintained by Banco do Brasil.
The building occupied by CCBB RJ, located at n ° 66 of Rua Primeiro de Março, has a built area of 19,243 m², of which 15,046 m² are occupied by the center. Located on Orla Conde, in front of Largo da Candelária.
According to research published by The Art Newspaper in April 2014, CCBB RJ was considered the 21st most visited art museum in the world, having a total of 2,034,397 visitors in 2013. According to the same website, the exhibition Picasso and Spanish modernity, held at the cultural center, was considered the most visited post-impressionist and modern exhibition in the world in 2015.
The building where the cultural center is located today had its cornerstone laid in 1880, thus materializing the project of the architect Francisco Joaquim Béthencourt da Silva, founder of the Propagating Society of Fine Arts and the Lyceum of Arts and Crafts of Rio de Janeiro. It was opened in 1906, as the headquarters of the Commercial Association of Rio de Janeiro. In the 1920s, the building belonged to Banco do Brasil, which transformed it into its own headquarters. In 1960, it became the headquarters of Agência Centro in Rio de Janeiro and, later, of Agência Primeiro de Março.
The CCBB began in 1986. It opened in Rio de Janeiro in 1989, Brasília in 2000, São Paulo in 2001 and Belo Horizonte in 2013. Its three centers in Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, and São Paulo are among the top hundred most visited art museums in the world. In 2013, the three centers combined had 4.4 million visitors: 2,034,397 visitors in Rio de Janeiro, 1,468,818 visitors in Brasília, and 931,639 visitors in São Paulo.
CCBB Rio de Janeiro was created in 1986, the year in which Dr. Camilo Calazans de Magalhães held the position of president of Banco do Brasil. The center was opened on October 12, 1989, and was the first museum opened by the CCBB chain. The building’s adaptation project preserved the refinement of the columns, ornaments and marble that rises from the foyer by the stairs, in addition to having reworked the dome over the roundabout. Subsequently, other centers of the network were opened in the cities of Belo Horizonte, Brasília andSao Paulo.
The largest of the CCBB institutions is located in Rio de Janeiro, in an Art Deco building designed by Francisco Joaquim Bethencourt da Silva.Similar in size is the São Paulo institution, designed in the same style by Hippolyto Pujol. The smallest of the three complexes is the Brasília branch, designed by Alba Rabelo Cunha.
Both the Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo branches contain theatres, cinemas, and multiple art galleries.
CCBB RJ occupies a historic building located in the Centro neighborhood, opened in 1906 and which had housed Banco do Brasil’s headquarters since the 1920s. The cultural center occupies 15,046 m² of a total of 19,243 m² of built area.
The building has the following spaces inside: exhibition rooms on the first and second floors; a cinema room with 110 seats on the ground floor; a room with 53 seats for showing videos on the mezzanine; three rooms for theater shows, one on the ground floor, with 175 seats, and two more on the second floor, one with 158 seats and one without fixed seats, for alternative shows; an auditorium with 90 seats on the fourth floor; and a library on the fifth floor.
Bank of Brazil
Banco do Brasil SA (BB) is a Brazilian financial institution, constituted in the form of a mixed capital company, with participation of the Federal Government of Brazil in 50% of the shares (updated in Feb / 2020). Together with Caixa Econômica Federal, the National Bank for Economic and Social Development, Banco da Amazônia and Banco do Nordeste, Banco do Brasil is one of the five state – owned banks of the Brazilian government.
Its mission, according to its corporate philosophy, is ” To be a competitive and profitable market bank, acting with a public spirit in each of its actions with society”. The first Banco do Brasil, founded in 1808, was also the first bank in the history of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire, it went bankrupt after the Royal Family confiscated the funds and returned to Portugal, was liquidated in 1829. The Second Bank of Brazil (current) was founded by Barão de Mauá, in 1851.
According to data from the bank itself, the company has 15 133 service points spread across the country, between branches and service stations, with 95% of its branches having self-service rooms (there are more than 40 thousand terminals), which operate beyond bank hours. It also has access options via internet, phone and cell phone. It is present in more than 21 countries besides Brazil.
Banco do Brasil has 5,429 branches, being present in most municipalities in the country, with a structure of more than 109,191 employees, in addition to 4066 interns, temporary contractors and adolescent workers.
On January 2, 2019, Rubem de Freita Novaes was appointed president of Banco do Brasil to replace Marcelo Labuto.
Banco do Brasil Cultural Centers are notable multidisciplinary spaces
Banco do Brasil Cultural Centers (CCBBs) are located in Belo Horizonte, Brasília, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, with regular programming in the areas of performing arts, cinema, exhibition, lectures, seminars, music and education.
They are multidisciplinary spaces with regular programming (6 days a week).
In 25 years of operation, the CCBBs received more than 74 million visitors, with 3,600 projects and more than 12,000 events, consolidating itself as one of the main cultural centers in the Brazilian and international cultural scene.