Villeneuve-Loubet is a town in the Alpes-Maritimes in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region. It is located halfway between Monaco and Cannes, and is open to the middle country of Saint-Paul-de-Vence and Grasse. It enjoys a privileged location on the Côte d’Azur. Two-thirds of its surface consists of wooded areas, in particular thanks to its two departmental parks: the Parc de Vaugrenier and the Parc des Rives du Loupand it has a rich historical heritage. It also has five kilometers of coastline consisting of four kilometers of beaches, the rest being dedicated to the port of Marina, which makes the town a real seaside resort. Its numerous facilities dedicated to walking or cycling, as well as the wide variety of events offered throughout the year, as well as its large accommodation capacity, make the city a dynamic destination perfect for families. Villeneuve-Loubet is today a choice base for staying on the Côte d’Azur and for quick access to the various activities and curiosities of the Alpes-Maritimes.
Located between Cagnes-sur-Mer and Antibes, at the mouth of the Loup, this town is made up of two ancient villages: the old village of Villeneuve, inland, and the village of Loubet, on the shores of the Mediterranean. Almost halfway between Cannes (17 km) and Monaco (35 km) and open to the middle country of Saint-Paul-de-Vence and Grasse, Villeneuve-Loubet offers its visitors almost four kilometers of coastline. Seaside resortin its own right, it is a choice base for staying on the Côte d’Azur and for quick access to the various activities and curiosities of the Alpes-Maritimes. The town is part of CASA (Community of agglomeration Sophia Antipolis).
It was created by the joining two old villages: the old village of Villeneuve inland and the village of Loubet on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea. Its inhabitants are called Villeneuvois.
Villeneuve-Loubet has a fairly eventful past. Indeed, the city was built from three territories: the Gaudelet (site where the medieval fortress is located), the Guard (where the Tower of the Madonna is located) and the Loubet (currently Saint-Andrieu district). The Gaudelet was conquered by Romée de Villeneuve at the beginning of 13th century and has given its name to the territory, the Guard has been destroyed because it was a den of thieves (the fact remains that tower which was the keep of the castle), and the Loubet was, it, attached administratively to Villeneuve.
The origins of Villeneuve-Loubet
The town was formed from several territories formerly occupied in the early Middle Ages:
the Gaudelet whose castle is described as being destroyed in the middle of the 13th century but which appears to date no later than the 11th century;
the Loubet, known from the 11th century, provided a fortified settlement and a church in the 12th century;
Guard whose first mention dates back to the 12th century, which is described as a fortified settlement with two churches in the 12th century. The village was destroyed in the early 13th century and rebuilt in the locality Tower of the Madonna, before disappearing at the end of the 14th century;
Villeneuve founded around 1234 by Romée de Villanova of a Catalan family, in the service of the Counts of Provence of the House of Barcelona who seek to assert their power in eastern Provence. He built a castle on the site of the current castle of Villeneuve-Loubet. A village and a church are attested in the early 14th century;
Saint Andrieu whose origin was mentioned above, which seems busier beyond the 13th century, with the exception of St. Andrieu chapel frequented by the inhabitants of Villeneuve-Loubet to the French Revolution. The latter still belongs to the municipality.
François I at Villeneuve-Loubet
End 1537, Pope Paul III offered his mediation to François I and Charles V, who dispute the possession of Milan (Italian Wars). The meeting will take place in Nice, in May and June 1538, in a climate of mutual distrust. The Emperor arrives first: his fleet of 28 galleys anchor in the harbor of Villefranche, May 9, 1538. The pope joined Nice, May 16, aboard an imperial galley, but the Niçois, at the instigation of the duke of Savoie, refuse to welcome him. Finally, he settled outside the city at the Sainte-Croix convent. As for the King of France, after lingering in Dauphiné, he stopped at Villeneuve Castle on May 31.
An initial interview took place the same day between Anne de Montmorency and Paul III. The next day, the constable met Charles V and on 2 June 1538, François I personally met the Pope. The following days, the meetings multiply. However, in the absence of a comprehensive agreement, the negotiations conclude with a 10-year truce, at the end of which the parties hope to reach a final agreement. Published in all the provinces, the Nice Truce sounds like a real peace for the subjects of the kingdom and, on July 5, the Parliament organizes in Paris a procession of thanksgiving. Charles-Quint and François I then meet on July 14 and 15, atAigues-Mortes. At the end of 1539, reconciliation between enemy brothers-in-law led the emperor on the roads of the kingdom of France, for a triumphal journey.
The coat of arms of Villeneuve-Loubet
He evokes the practice of silkworm farming, an activity that was once very developed in France, especially in the south-east where the climate was more favorable. Following the edict of Louis XIV of November 1692, the town was imposed automatically by Charles d’Hozier’s clerks the coat of arms “of gold with two cocoons of sand silkworm in saltire”, in reference to sericulture was a distinctive feature of the town. In the xx th century, the town was “of mouths to two cocoons of silkworm money; to the chief sewn of azure, charged with three gold lilies ”.
Today, mulberry trees still line the aisles of Vaugrenier Park, but they no longer feed silkworms since, affected by disease, this prosperous industry collapsed from 1855.
Places and monuments
The castle of Baumettes
After the Second World War, the castle lost its residential vocation. It was bought in 1964 by the Family Allowances Fund of the Lower Alps. A cultural center was built there in 1996.
Bay of Angels Marina
The Marina is a set of four buildings up to 70 meters high, which punctuate the Baie des Anges. It is a sometimes contested architectural work, for example by Max Querrien, who received it the label Heritage xx th century. The architect is André Minangoy and the promoter Jean Marchand. Construction, launched in 1968, spanned almost 25 years. The 16 hectares shelter a marina with a capacity of 530 moorings from 6 m to 35 m on the quay or on the pontoon, a shopping center and four giant pyramids evoking immense white waves comprising nearly 1,300 dwellings.
The Villeneuve-Loubet castle
Founded in the 13th century by Romée de Villeneuve, it consists of four buildings around a trapezoidal courtyard and a pentagonal tower. At the four corners stands a tower. Protected by two enclosures with battlements and loopholes, the castle has kept the austere appearance of a medieval fortress. Claude Savoie are greeted his cousin, François I. It was at the castle that the King of France signed the Nice truce on June 18, 1538. The castle, then entrusted to stewards, gradually deteriorated, until the day when Augustus of Thomas bought it in 1679 and had it restored. In 1742, he entered the Panisse Passis family by inheritance.
The Provençal Village
The historic village remains the center of the small city of Villeneuvoise. Rebuilt in the xvi th century, after the great epidemics that caused its decline, the village offers today some beautiful doors Renaissance, flowery cobbled streets and variant leading to the Museum of Culinary Art in landscaped birthplace by Auguste Escoffier. We can notice there, the wash house in the rue des Poilus, the Museum of History and Art…
The Castle of Vaugrenier is a house style Palladian built at the end of the xvi th century.
The Museum of History and Art (ex military museum)
Offered on four levels, the visit presents a space dedicated to temporary and thematic exhibitions on the 1 st floor. The second and third floors house a unique collection tracing the history of the French army at the xx th century. Interesting museum dedicated to the great conflicts of the xx th century in which France was engaged: the two world wars (1914-1918, 1939-1945), the Indochina War (1945-1954), one of Algeria (1954- 1962), interventions in Chad and Zaire (1969-1984), Lebanon (1982-1987) and the Gulf War (1991).
The Escoffier Museum of Culinary Art
Museum created in 1966 in the birthplace of the master Auguste Escoffier (1846-1935), in Villeneuve-Loubet village and dedicated to the culinary art in all its forms (utensils, menus, set tables, etc.) as well as to the great chefs who have perpetuated and passed on the heritage of the “King of cooks and cooks of Kings”, father of modern French cuisine. Unique in France, it presents a complete panorama of the world of French cuisine. Discover the charm of an authentic village house of the xviii th century, full of memories, built around the family hearth. Ten exhibition halls over 300 m 2: old stoves, Provencal vegetable garden, collection of menus, sugar and chocolate sculptures, the Master’s office and library, and an interactive children’s area. Recently labeled by the Ministry of Culture and Communication “Maison des Illustres”.
St. Mark Church, Bellevue Avenue (xv th century). The stained glass windows were made by the painter Pier Lecolas in 2006.
St. Christopher Church, Church Road St. Kitts (xx th century).
Chapelle Saint-Andrieu Road Chapel (xvi th century).
Chapelle des Roches, Corniche Notre-Dame (1850), real name Notre-Dame-d’Espérance.
Villeneuve-Loubet is the birthplace of the famous 19th century provençal chef, restaurateur, and culinary writer Auguste Escoffier, the author of the Guide Culinaire and the founder of French haute cuisine. Villeneuve-Loubet was also, from 1920 onwards, the home of Maréchal Philippe Pétain (1856–1951), the “Hero of Verdun” in World War I and chief of state of the Nazi-collaborationist État Français, commonly known as Vichy France, in World War II.
The writer and historian Jules Bertaut (1877–1959) died in Villeneuve-Loubet. Marshall Philippe Pétain purchased a house called L’Ermitage in Villeneuve-Loubet circa 1920.
Villeneuve-Loubet was also the site of a battle in World War II when it was liberated by the First Special Service Force on August 26, 1944. The tower of the castle was damaged by a shell fired by the US Navy, and dozens of soldiers from both sides were killed or wounded. In 2006, the bodies of fourteen Germans who were killed during the fighting were discovered in a mass grave near the town by a local medical student. Saint Marc Church (15th century): The stained glass was created by the artist painter Pier Lecolas in 2006.
Escoffier Museum of Culinary Art
Escoffier Museum of Culinary Art 3, rue Escoffier – Village Open all year except in November. 5 € (2.5 € reduced price-. The museum was created in 1966 in the birthplace of the XVIII th century Master Escoffier, the famous inventor of the Peach Melba This museum is dedicated to the culinary art of all. forms and great chefs who have perpetuated this father’s legacy of modern French cuisine.
Museum of History & Art
Museum of History & Art Rue de l’Hotel de Ville – Village Logo showing timetables Open all year. Logo showing prices Free. – This museum located above the village info point of the Tourist Office houses temporary and thematic exhibitions on the first floor. The second and third floors are dedicated to a unique collection tracing the history of the French army in the XX th century with many documents, uniforms, decorations, weapons, paintings or models that are presented and are very interesting.
La Maïoun deï Granouïe
The house of the herons)Chemin du Pas de Bonne Heure – Logo showing prices FreeVillage. – This local history museum installed in the old library of the village and managed by the association Leï Granouïe which perpetuates the villeneuvoises traditions is divided into three rooms. The latter, consecrated successively to agricultural life, to school and to Provencal cuisine, tell the life of yesteryear in the village in a very authentic way and full of memories.
The municipality of Villeneuve-Loubet offers a public skateboarding area open to skateboarders, rollerbladers and BMXers. This place is most often frequented by young scooter practitioners; the skatepark being located opposite the Romée-de-Villeneuve college. The skatepark was built by the Vendetta company and includes 2 quarter-pipes, 1 half-pipe and a platform (funbox).
Walking and cycling tours
Stroll along the wolf – Thanks to the development of the departmental park of Rives du Loup, it is possible to take a beautiful stroll from the seaside to the village. This 4.5 km trailis accessible to the whole family, on foot or by bike depending on the sections and allows you to discover a very rich vegetation and varied fauna, from the beach to the old village.
Circuit The Villeneuvoise – Long 4 km, this shared network (bicycle and pedestrian), fully drawn on bike paths and trails offer a direct connection between the Croisette to the port and the heart of the Provence village, passing by the shores of the Wolf, and allows you to visit the whole town by bike.
La Littorale – Villeneuve-Loubet cycle tour is the starting point of this circuit which connects the port of Marina Baie des Anges to the port of Nice by the sea. It takes a continuous and secure cycle track unique on the Côte d’Azur which offers an exceptional panorama all along the sea and the mountains.
Adventure course for young and old
Le Village des Fous 2559, route de Grasse(Espace loisirs La Vanade) € 14.5 (€ 12 reduced rate). – “ Hidden Kèkepart, a village, the existence of which is preciously kept secret, is inhabited by madmen. Here, the absurd is king, madness is an art of living. ” This village fools to its name and offers space multi-activity of 2 ha where parents have fun as much as children.
Canyon Forest 1, avenue de la Liberation(Espace loisirs La Vanade) Open from February to October. 25 €, 22 € reduced rate. – This park offers four adventure trails for climbing trees and more than 160 workshops. The park is accessible to those over 8 years old, reservation is compulsory.
Le Bois des Lutins 2559, route de Grasse(Espace loisirs La Vanade) Open from February to October. 14.5 €, 7.5 € reduced price. – This park offers a spectacular course of nets overlooking 1.5 ha of multiple games. The park is accessible to children from 2 years old.
Pitchoun Forest 2559, route de Grasse(Espace loisirs La Vanade) 15 €. – This is an educational adventure course made up of balance workshops, zip lines and quizzes illustrated by panels or set out by audio terminals. The park is accessible to children from 3 to 10 years old and reservations are required.
Activities at sea
Many sports and leisure activities related to the sea are to try in Villeneuve-Loubet. Thanks to the seaside equipment (sailing and diving clubs, nautical bases, floating raft, supervised bathing areas), you will be able to swim, dive, navigate, slide as you wish. In addition, a wide program of sports, fun and musical entertainment is planned for the whole summer.
The municipality of Villeneuve-Loubet also organizes numerous events and demonstrations on different themes (gastronomy, Renaissance, nature, cycling…) all year round, the program of which is available on the city’s tourism site.
Several restaurants of different categories are available to you in the town of Villeneuve-Loubet for dining. From the small snack bar to the restaurant two forks in the Michelin guide, located in the shade of the small alleys of the old village as on the Croisette of Marina Baie des Anges, you will find what you want.
Villeneuve-Loubet is the fifth host city in terms of accommodation capacity with 7,000 tourist beds available. The range of accommodation offered is wide since you will find tourist hotels, hotel residences, furnished tourist accommodation, caravan campsites or even guest houses.
The French Riviera is the Mediterranean coastline of the southeast corner of France. There is no official boundary, but it is usually considered to extend from Cassis, Toulon or Saint-Tropez on the west to Menton at the France–Italy border in the east, where the Italian Riviera joins. The coast is entirely within the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region of France. The Principality of Monaco is a semi-enclave within the region, surrounded on three sides by France and fronting the Mediterranean. Riviera is an Italian word that corresponds to the ancient Ligurian territory, wedged between the Var and Magra rivers.
The climate of the Côte d’Azur is temperate Mediterranean with mountain influences on the northern parts of the departments of Var and Alpes-Maritimes. It is characterized by dry summers and mild winters which help reduce the likelihood of freezing. The Côte d’Azur enjoys significant sunshine in mainland France for 300 days a year.
This coastline was one of the first modern resort areas. It began as a winter health resort for the British upper class at the end of the 18th century. With the arrival of the railway in the mid-19th century, it became the playground and vacation spot of British, Russian, and other aristocrats, such as Queen Victoria, Tsar Alexander II and King Edward VII, when he was Prince of Wales. In the summer, it also played home to many members of the Rothschild family. In the first half of the 20th century, it was frequented by artists and writers, including Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Francis Bacon, Edith Wharton, Somerset Maugham and Aldous Huxley, as well as wealthy Americans and Europeans. After World War II, it became a popular tourist destination and convention site. Many celebrities, such as Elton John and Brigitte Bardot, have homes in the region.
The eastern part (maralpine) of the Côte d’Azur has been largely transformed by the concreting of the coast linked to the tourist development of foreigners from North Europe and the French,. The Var part is better preserved from urbanization with the exception of the agglomeration of Fréjus-Saint-Raphaël affected by the demographic growth of the maralpin coast and the agglomeration of Toulon which has been marked by urban sprawl on its part West and by a spread of industrial and commercial areas (Grand Var).