Philosophy path, a small diameter along the Suimizu, which was conceived by philosopher Ikutaro Nishida, showing the atmosphere of the four seasons, with cherry blossoms in spring and colored leaves in autumn. It is a small diameter along the canal named after Ikutaro Nishida, a philosopher and professor at Kyoto University, walked every morning and indulged in thought. Along the road that stretches about 2 km from Jodoji Bridge to Wakaoji Bridge, there are about 300 Kansetsu cherry blossoms donated by Japanese-style painter Hashimoto Kansetsu. It is a walking spot that blooms in full bloom in spring, followed by fresh greenery, autumn leaves, snowy scenery and seasonal expressions. There are cafes and general stores scattered around the area, so you can enjoy your meal or shopping after a break. A little off the path of philosophy, you can also visit Honen-in Temple, where the tombs of celebrities such as Junichiro Tanizaki are located, and Eikando, which is famous for its autumn colors.
The Okazaki area and the lush green area are dotted with museums, libraries, old shrines and famous temples, and you can enjoy a variety of cultures from the latest art to classical performing arts. Okazaki Park, which spreads about 10 minutes north of Higashiyama Subway Station, is a cultural zone dotted with zoos, museums, libraries, Noh theaters, and Heian Shrine, which is famous for its red-painted shrine. In spring, the cherry blossoms planted along the water are dyed pink and become a popular cherry blossom viewing spot. If you walk east while looking at the canal, you will find the brick Nanzenji Suirokaku that blends in with the scenery of Nanzenji Temple and Higashiyama. Also, on the north side of Marutamachi Dori, there are Yoshida Shrine, which is crowded with many worshipers during the Setsubun Festival in February, the remains of the Shogoin Gate, Okazaki Shrine, which is famous for Koma Usagi, and Konkai Komyoji Temple. It is an area where you can feel the history and culture of Kyoto.
Sakyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. Located in the northeastern part of Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. While the southern part of the ward is a residential area and a cultural area (the northern area such as the Iwakura area is designated as an urbanization control area, large-scale development such as high-rise buildings is restricted. Many fields remain), and the northern part of the ward is a mountainous area with a thriving forestry industry.
Famous temples and shrines include Higashiyama Jishoji Temple (Ginkakuji Temple), Nanzenji Temple, Shimogamo Shrine, and Heian Shrine. In the north, there are Kurama Temple, Kifune Shrine, Sanzen-in Temple, Tomomi Iwakura’s imprisonment, and Shugakuin Imperial Villa. In the past, a woman selling wild plants called Oharame from Yase and Ohara sometimes came to the peddler. In Kitashirakawa, there was some woman from Shirakawa whose livelihood was a flower peddler, there is also a special product called Shirakawa sand in the mountains of Kitashirakawa.
The Philosophy Road is a sidewalk along the Lake Biwa Canal Moisture Line in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. A 1.5km walking path that starts at the south end of the Reizumi-dori Wakaoji Bridge in front of Kumano Wakaoji Shrine near Eikando and continues along the Biwako Canal at the foot of Mt. The width is not wide, but many trees are planted along the road. Next to the roadside, the Lake Biwa Canal Moisture Line runs along the foot of the mountain from Kumano Wakaoji Shrine to the approach to Otoyo Shrine, and the mountain side of the canal is a natural forest, with a row of cherry blossom trees on the opposite bank. It is a beautiful section of nature where the scenery changes from season to season, with cherry blossoms in spring, green trees in early summer, and autumn leaves in autumn.
A must visit and most popular walking path in Kyoto, and many during the cherry blossom season and autumn leaves season. It is crowded with tourists. In recent years, many cats who have settled in coffee shops that have closed down are becoming famous. On the north side, both sides are residential areas, and rows of cherry blossom trees are planted on both banks of the water. Sidewalks may also be on the east side, but only the west side is well maintained. It has been selected as one of the 100 best roads in Japan.
The Philosophy Road was originally set up as a management road when the Lake Biwa Canal was completed in 1890 (Meiji 23). Initially, the road was just a lawn planted, but more and more people are walking here. Around the Meiji era, many literary people began to live in it, and it was called the “literary road.” After that, Kyoto University philosophers Kitaro Nishida and Hajime Tanabe liked to take a walk and thought about it, so it was called “Philosophy’s Path”, “Walking Path”, “Thinking Path”, and “Suimizu’s Path”. Was called. In 1972 (Showa 47), when the local residents proceeded with the conservation movement, as a result of consultation, it was decided to be the “path of philosophy” and became familiar with that name. In connection with this, in 1981 (Showa 56), a stone monument of the song “People are people, I’m going, I’m going, I’m going,” was erected near Honen-in in the middle of the road. Was done.
In 1972 (Showa 47), it was constructed as a walking path for gravel roads, and then the track paving stones of the streetcar, which was abolished in 1987 (Showa 53), were diverted to make it easier for pedestrians to walk. It is a line of paving stones and continues to the present day. The approximately 1.5km section from Nyakuoji Bridge to Ginkakuji Bridge was established by the former Ministry of Construction and the “Road Day” executive committee on August 10, 1987 (Showa 62), “Japan. It has been selected as one of the “100 Best Roads”.
The cherry blossoms on the Philosophy Road begin when Japanese-style painter Hashimoto Kansetsu and his wife, Yone, who settled nearby, donated 300 cherry blossom saplings to Kyoto City in 1921 (Taisho 10). The reason for the donation is that Sekiyuki, who was a great painter, came up with the idea of planting cherry blossoms when he thought about the reward for Kyoto. It seems that the original trees are almost exhausted, but they have been replanted and maintained by Toemon Sano and others to the present day. Even now, it is still called “Kansetsu Sakura” as the name of the row of cherry blossom trees.
Okazaki is an area (wide area name) located in the southern part of Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Here, “Okazaki” in Sakyo Ward is used as a general term for the districts that bear the name of the town. Located in the southern part of Sakyo Ward, it borders Yoshida / Jodoji Temple in the north, Shishigadani / Nanzenji Temple in the east, Awataguchi in the south, and Shogoin / Nijogawa Higashi in the west.
This place is the hometown where six large temples, collectively called Rokusho-ji, such as Hossho-ji, were built in the Heian period. The name is still left as the name of the town in the hometown of each temple. In 1895 (Meiji 28), the Heian-kyo 1000th Anniversary Memorial Festival and the 4th National Industrial Exhibition were held in the Okazaki area. After that, this venue will be developed as the precincts of Heian Jingu. In 1900 (Meiji 33), it was decided to open a zoo in the precincts of Heian Jingu, which was under construction, based on donations collected for the marriage of Prince Yoshihito (later Emperor Taisho). It was.
Construction began in 1901 (Meiji 34), and on April 1, 1903 (Meiji 36), the Tomiya Keiji Memorial Zoo will open. On May 22, 1903, after the zoo was opened, the city council decided that the city-owned land of the site of the 4th National Industrial Exhibition was called Okazaki Park. In response to this decision, the following day, July 8, 1904, the place was designated as a park and Okazaki Park was opened. After that, the Kyoto Prefectural Library was built in 1909 in the park. In addition, the year after the 1928 Dairei Memorial Kyoto Grand Exposition, the Otorii was newly established, and in 1933 the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art was opened.
At the National Industrial Exhibition, the magnificent temple of Rokusho-ji was returned to ash in the war that followed, and by the time of the Bakumatsu Restoration, Okazaki was sparsely populated with vacant lots. In the Meiji era, when Lake Biwa Canal was drawn in the Keage area adjacent to the east side, Japan’s first hydroelectric power plant was built, and water transportation using Inclines developed, the main stream of Lake Biwa Canal flowed westward in Okazaki. It was way. In 1892, an influential person in Kyoto City promoted a campaign to attract the National Industrial Exhibition in conjunction with the Heian-kyo 1000th Anniversary Festival, and envisioned the area around Shogoin and Okazaki as the venue.
The cornerstone of the cultural landscape in the Okazaki area, which is also one of the 100 best urban landscapes, is “the forerunner of waterways and Kyoto modernization”, centering on Lake Biwa Canal and Shirakawa. Food culture inheritance), temples and shrines such as Okazaki Shrine and Nanzenji Temple, and Okazaki Park as a cultural facility have been selected as Important Cultural Landscapes under the Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties together with Sekisenincho in Higashiyama Ward.
Kyoto Toni Toni
A cultural and commercial facility where you can experience the charm of Jidai Matsuri at any time. Located in the precincts of Heian Jingu, the facility name “Toni Toni” is the day of the transfer of capital to Heian and the day of the Jidai Matsuri, October 22 (22). Combined. In addition to Kyoto’s long-established gems and original sweets, there is an exhibition of Jidai Matsuri costumes (partial), making it a new base in the Okazaki area. The lanterns in the hall are produced by the long-established Kojima store’s light brand “Kobishiya Chubei”. In addition, the screen inside the building is a spot where you can feel the history and culture of Kyoto, such as the high-precision projection of video works on the theme of the procession of the times.
Kyoto International Community House
Opened in 1989 (Heisei 1) as a base for international exchange of citizens based on the “World Culture Free City Declaration” announced by Kyoto City in 1978. It consists of a steel-framed reinforced concrete 3-story main building and a Japanese-style annex, and includes an exchange lobby, information service corner, library / reference room, rental conference room such as an event hall, kids space, multipurpose room that can be used for breastfeeding and prayer, and a restaurant. is there. In addition, the “Kyoto City Foreign Citizens General Counseling Service” has been set up to provide consultation in multiple languages. It is operated as a base for internationalization of Kyoto, such as support for international students and volunteer activities, with the aim of realizing a society where people from Japan and abroad can understand each other’s culture and live together.
It was opened as a city park on the site of the National Industrial Exhibition in 1895 (Meiji 28). It is a cultural zone with museums, libraries, ROHM Theater Kyoto, and zoos. Many citizens also enjoy playing tennis and baseball on the playground.
Kyoto City Zoo
The second oldest zoo in Japan, which opened in 1903 (Meiji 36). The redevelopment work, which has been promoted with the aim of realizing a “close and fun zoo,” was completed in October 2015 and opened on November 8th. “Fairy Land” where you can experience contact with animals, “Mouju World” where you can see large to small cats, and “African Meadow” where you can see the differences in the body structure and lifestyle of animals living in Africa.
,”Sal World” including “Hikari, Mizu, Midori no Tropical Animal House” that exhibits tropical rain forests by theme, “Gorilla House-Sumika of Forests” that reproduces the original tree life of Nishigorilla, Laos In addition to the 6 zones of “Elephant Forest” where you can observe 5 elephants including 4 elephants from Japan living in a group, and “Kyoto Forest” which reproduces the rich satoyama of Kyoto, you can enter the zoo. The front entrance (learning and convenience facility) with a library cafe, restaurant and goods shop that can be used without having to do so has also been completed. In the future, we will hold various events utilizing the zones we have developed.
Kyoto Messe Exhibition Center
It was built in 1996 as one of the 1200th anniversary of the Heian capital. It has a 4,000 m2 pillarless exhibition hall that can accommodate a variety of events, as well as large and small exhibition halls and conference rooms. On the first basement floor, there is a permanent exhibition space “Kyoto Traditional Industry Museum” that gathers the best of Kyoto’s traditional industries, and there is also a “Kyoto Traditional Industry Museum Shop” that has attractive products from traditional crafts to Japanese miscellaneous goods. To do.
ROHM Theater Kyoto was reopened on January 10, 2016. It has a main hall with a capacity of 2005, a south hall with a capacity of 716, a north hall (newly built) that can be used as a rehearsal and a small theater with a capacity of about 200, and two other meeting rooms. In addition, a new “Park Plaza” equipped with restaurants, books and cafes will be established as a space for creating liveliness that contributes to the revitalization of cultural projects and cultural arts. As a “cultural hall” that transmits the cultural and artistic city of Kyoto, in addition to full-scale stage art parks in various fields such as concerts, opera, ballet, traditional performing arts, theater, and musicals, it is also used for receptions and conventions. It has been reborn as a corresponding theater.
Famous places and historic sites
Heian Shrine is a shrine located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrines are shrines and shrines. Currently, it is a separate table shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. A part of the Heian palace at the time of the transfer of capital to Heiankyo was planned as the centerpiece of the National Industrial Exhibition held in Kyoto on April 1, 1895 (Meiji 28) to commemorate the 1100th anniversary of the transfer of capital to Heian. Initially, it was planned that Suzakumon would be located in Senbon Marutamachi, where the Heian Palace was actually located, but the land acquisition failed. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on September 3, 1893 (Meiji 26), and it was restored to Okazaki, which was a suburb at that time, on a scale of five-eighths of the actual size.
The shrine is a restored version of the Chodoin (Hachishoin), which is the main office of the Heiankyo palace, reduced (about 5/8 of the length). The front gate, which is characterized by a large red glowing vermilion, imitates the Otenmon gate of Chodoin. The left and right shrines on the inside are reproductions of the morning assembly hall. The outer worship hall imitates the main hall of Chodoin, Daigokuden (with Soryu and Hakutora on the left and right). Completed in 1895 (Meiji 28), the main shrine was destroyed by a fire that broke out before dawn on January 1, 1976 (Showa 51). Rebuilt in the spring of 1980.
The site area is about 20,000 tsubo including “Heian Jingu Shrine” which is a Japanese garden of about 10,000 tsubo. Shinen is a famous garden built by the 7th generation Ogawa Jihei (Ueji), a famous landscape architect from the Meiji era to the Showa era, over 20 years, and is designated as a national scenic spot. It has been confirmed that the striped bitterling, which has been drawn from the Lake Biwa Canal and cannot be seen due to foreign fish, is alive in Lake Biwa. Birds such as kingfishers and goshawks, which are rare in human settlements, turtles that grow grass on their shells, and yellow pond turtles, which are extremely rare in Japan, live in Shinen.
Jishoji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Rinzai sect Sokokuji school located in Ginkakuji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is the outer tower of Sokokuji Temple. It has architecture and gardens that represent the Higashiyama culture that prospered in the late Muromachi period. The Kannon-den, which is a tower building built by Yoshimasa Ashikaga, the 8th shogun of the Muromachi Shogunate, to imitate the Shari-den (Kinkaku) of Kaenji, is known as the Ginkaku, and the entire temple including the Kannon-den is known as the Ginkaku-ji. It is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as part of the “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”. Ginkaku is called the three Kaku of Kyoto together with Kinkaku and Hiunkaku (in the precincts of Nishi Honganji Temple).
The architectural style and floor plan of Jishoji Kannonden (Ginkaku) are as follows. Ginkaku is a two-story wooden tower building that faces the east side of Kinkyoike in the precincts of Jishoji Temple. It is the upper building of Chokyo 3 (1489). The roof is a treasure-shaped roof with a thatched roof, and a copper phoenix is placed on the roof. However, according to ancient records and Meisho-zue, jewels were placed instead of phoenix until the latter half of the 18th century.
While the Kaenji Shariden (Kinkaku) is literally a building with gold leaf, the silver leaf is not attached to the Ginkaku, and there are no traces of it. There are various theories about this. Initially, the upper layer was black lacquer both inside and outside. The plane scale of the first layer is 8.2 meters on the east and west sides, 7.0 meters on the north side, and 5.9 meters on the south side (the north side is about 1 meter longer than the south side because the kitchen door protrudes to the north of the west side. ing)
The first layer is called “Shinkuden” and has a residential style. There is a falling edge on the east side of the first layer, and there are two eaves (Futanoki), indicating that this side is the front. The southern half of the first layer (on the left side when viewed from the front) has a wide edge of 4 tatami mats in the foreground and a Buddhist altar room of 8 tatami mats in the back. The Buddhist altar room will be a plank floor, and the ceiling will be a blown-up ceiling. In the northern half of the first layer, there are 6 tatami mats in the foreground, and 3 tatami-sized small rooms with tatami mats in the back. Of these, the room on the north side has a staircase to the upper level and a doorway, and the room on the south side has a closet. The stairs lead to the upper north rim. In addition, the role of these two rooms with 3 tatami mats is ambiguous, and there are traces of remodeling in posterity, so it seems that the floor plan and the position of the stairs are different from the beginning.
Honen-in is a temple of the Jodo sect in Shishigadani, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. Originally a Jodo sect, it became independent and is now an independent religious corporation. The official name is “Zenkiyama Honen-in Mannakuji”. Another name is “Motoyama Shishitani Honen-in”. Currently, a part of the temple is open as a place to hold lectures and concerts on a regular basis. Due to its location near the Philosophy Road, there are many worshipers during the spring and autumn tourist season.
It is said that the origin of the temple comes from Honen, who practiced the 6 o’clock praise with his disciples during the Kamakura period. It is said that in the 8th year of Enpo (1680) during the Edo period, Mannashi, the 38th generation of Chion-in, applied for the construction of a Nembutsu dojo in a place related to Honen, and revived with his disciple Shinobu. Originally it was an independent head temple within the Jodo sect, but in 1953 (Showa 28) it became independent from the Jodo sect and became an independent religious corporation. The current lord who took office in 1984 (Showa 59) is Shinsho Kajita, the 31st generation. His father, Mineo Hashimoto, is a philosopher who served as a professor at Kobe University.
Anrakuji is a stand-alone temple of the Jodo sect in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. It used to belong to the Jodo sect Nishiyama Zenrinji school, but it became a stand-alone temple. At the beginning of the Kamakura period, Sumirenbo and Anrakubo, the disciples of the founder of the Jodo sect, Honen, began as a dojo for the Buddhist devotion. It is famous for the pumpkin memorial service that prays for the protection of the middle wind in July. Also known as “Matsumushi Suzumushi Temple”.
At the beginning of the Kamakura period, twenty years after the Shishigatani incident that occurred in 1177 (3rd year of Angen) during the Heian period, Honen’s disciples Sumiren and Anraku were walking around Higashiyama. A white deer appeared from the mountains, and I felt a reminder that it disappeared around the site of Shunkan Sanso, which was led by the deer, so I felt a reminder that it was a dojo for dedicated Buddha in the mountains east of my current location. I tied Tanikusaan. Therefore, Sumiren and Anraku tried to indoctrinate the devoted Buddha that Honen preached, such as the practice of praise at 6 o’clock. It is said that the praise statement of Sumiren and Anraku beautifully captivated the audience.
However, due to the law of Kenei in 1207 (Ken’ei 2nd year), both Sumiren and Anraku monks were executed, and Shishigatani Soan was temporarily devastated. After that, Honen, a teacher who returned from the exile, revived Soan as a bodhisattva for both Sumiren Anraku monks. After that, it was repeatedly raised and abolished several times, and it became the present location from 1522 to 1555 in the latter half of the Muromachi period. As temple treasures, those related to Anraku / Sumiren and the pine bug / bell bug that was the lady-in-waiting of Emperor Go-Toba are left. The mountain number Sumirenzan is a memorial to Sumirenbo, and the temple name Anrakuji is a memorial to the name of Anrakuji.
Zenrinji is the head temple of the Jodo sect Nishiyama Zenrinji school in Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. Known by the popular name of Eikando. The mountain number is called Seishu Raigozan. Known as a famous spot for autumn leaves, it has long been called “Autumn is Momiji no Eikando”. It is also one of the three academic institutes (academic research institutes) in Kyoto, and has been active in academics since ancient times.
The origin is that Shinsho Buddhist priest, a high-ranking younger brother of Kukai (Kobo Daishi), aspired to build a dojo of Mantra in the capital, and built a temple whose principal image is the Buddhist priests of the Buddhist priests. In the third year of Ninju (853), Shinsho bought the mountain lodge of the late Sekio Fujiwara, who was a poet and literary person, and decided to make it a temple. In Kyoto at that time, it was forbidden to build a private temple unnecessarily, and 10 years later, in the 5th year of Jōgan (863), the Emperor Seiwa gave him a royal license as a fixed-price temple and the temple name of “Zenrinji”. It became an official temple.
Nanzenji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Nanzenji school in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is called Zuiryuzan, and the temple name is called Taihei Kokoku Nanzenji Temple. Kaisan is Mukan Fumon (Daimei Kokushi). Kaisan is Emperor Kameyama. It is the first Zen temple in Japan and is a specially treated temple located on Kyoto Gozan and Kamakura Gozan, and has the highest prestige of all Zen temples in Japan.
Before the construction of Nanzenji Temple, there was Zenrinjido, a detached palace built by Emperor Gosaga in the first year of Bun’ei (1264). The name “Zenrinji-den” comes from Zenrinji (Eikando), the head temple of the Jodo sect Nishiyama Zenrinji school, which still exists to the north of Nanzenji. This palace is divided into “upper palace” and “lower palace”, and the Buddhist temple built in “upper palace” was called “Nanzenin”. The existing Nanzenji temple, Nanzenin, is its successor.
Emperor Kameyama became a Buddhist priest in 1289 when he was 40 years old. Two years later, in the 4th year of Shosho (1291), the Pope rebuilt the Zenrinji Temple as a temple, and opened Mukan Fumon, which was 80 years old at the time, and named it Ryuanzan Zenrinzenji. According to folklore, at this time, a night-night youkai change appeared in the Zenrinji hall, which bothered Emperor Kameyama and his attendants, but Mukan Fumon took his disciples into the Zenrinji hall and quietly sat down. It is said that Emperor Kameyama asked Mukan to open the mountain because the youkai change disappeared.
Okazaki Shrine is a shrine located in Okazaki Higashi Tennocho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City. Also known as “Higashi Tenno”. Rabbits are considered to be the priests of Ujigami because the area around them used to be a habitat for hares. It is said to be one of the companies built on all sides of Heiankyo to protect the royal castle when Emperor Kanmu relocated to Heiankyo in the 13th year of the Enryaku calendar (794), and has been called Higashi Tenno since he was enshrined in the east of the city.
Zensho-ji is a temple of the Nichiren sect in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Mt. The old main mountain is Omotoyama Honkokuji (Rokujomon style) Tatsushihoen. Zensho-ji Temple begins when Hideyoshi Toyotomi’s sister, Hidetsugu, formed a hermitage in Sagano to mourn the bodhi of Hidetsugu Toyotomi, Hidekatsu Toyotomi, Hideyasu Toyotomi, and Hidetsugu Toyotomi. The temple ground is located between Kaguraoka and Kuroya, west of Ryukoin. Located on a hill, you can see Yoshida, the Shogoin area, and the city far below. At the gate, there are tags such as “Myokeiyama Zenshoji Temple”, “Toyotomi Hidetsugu, Murakumo Mizuryuji Temple Cemetery”.
Danrin is equivalent to the current university and is a monk’s school. It was opened in the first year of Kanei (1624), a quarter of a century after Zensho-ji moved to its present location. Kaisan Danrin was a performer of the 4th Kenjuin. It is called Higashiyama Danrin by the place name, and it has counted more than 700 people until it was abandoned in the first year of the Meiji era. Higashiyama Danrin is one of the Rokudanrin in Kyoto, and the sectarian style was very popular. Many high priests gathered from all over the country, and many scholars boarded and worked hard to study. It is said that at the time of flowering, people from the metropolitan area gathered and held a banquet under the tree and forgot about the suffering of the three worlds for a while.
Kyoto City Museum of Art
The Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art is an art museum located in Okazaki Park in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Opened in 1933 (Showa 8). It was the second public art museum in Japan after the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum. It is one of the “Kyoto Museums for” consisting of four national and public museums and art galleries in Kyoto city. The collection focuses on Japanese paintings, Western paintings, and craft works from the Meiji era to around 1990 (Heisei 2). Major exhibitions include permanent exhibitions that change the theme of these collections several times a year, various public exhibitions, and university graduation exhibitions. In addition, a large-scale exhibition sponsored by a newspaper company is the core of attracting customers.
The Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art Annex was opened in 2000. The building was built as the East Building of Kyoto City Public Hall in 1930, and has been used as the annex of Kyoto Kaikan since 1960. After that, in 2000, the interior was completely renovated and opened as the Kyoto City Museum of Art Annex while preserving the Japanese-style exterior of the building. Exhibitions by art groups are mainly held, and you can enjoy various exhibitions.
Kyoto City Kyocera Museum
Established in November 1933 to commemorate the Great Religion of Emperor Showa. It has a large collection of masterpieces of modern Japanese painting, including the Kyoto painter. After the reopening on March 21, 2020, a new collection room will be opened, where you can enjoy the collections of each season. In addition, the new building “Higashiyama Cube” will hold exhibitions of contemporary art, design, manga, anime, fashion, etc., and you will be able to experience a wider range of art than ever before. An architecture that fuses retro and modern is indispensable for Instagram, such as the birth of a new glass-enclosed underground entrance while keeping the characteristic architectural design that is a mixture of Japanese and Western styles.
National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto
The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto is an art museum operated by the National Museum of Art, Kyoto, located in Okazaki Park in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. Focusing on the art of Kansai and West Japan, centering on Kyoto, while giving consideration to the entire history of modern Japanese art, we actively collect and display Japanese and Western paintings from the Kyoto art gallery, and crafts such as Kanjiro Kawai’s ceramics and dyeing and weaving. The collection of works is also substantial. The current building (new building) was designed by Pritzker Prize architect Fumihiko Maki and completed in 1986 (Showa 61). There is also a secretariat for the “Kyoto Museums for”, which consists of four national and public museums and art galleries in Kyoto. A collection of approximately 13,000 modern art works from Japan and overseas. In particular, he is known for collecting works of Kyoto and Kansai paintings, and collects, stores, investigates, and researches prints, ceramics, sculptures, designs, photographs, and other materials.
Kyoto Prefectural Library
The Kyoto Prefectural Library is a public library of Kyoto Prefectural Government located in Okazaki Seishoji Town, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its predecessor was Kyoto Shushoin, the first public library viewing facility in Japan, and it opened in 1909 (Meiji 42) in its current location, Okazaki. The building has a reinforced concrete structure and consists of 4 floors above ground and 2 floors below ground. The total floor area is 7,477 m2.
On the 1st floor, materials related to Kyoto, materials related to Japanese literature, large print books, and maps are arranged. In addition, there is a counter for user registration and lending / returning of books. The second floor is a multimedia reading room where you can use audio and video materials and browse the Internet, newspapers, and microfilm. In addition, there is a space called a knowledge base where you can learn and discuss. Books and magazines are placed on the first basement floor, and there is a counter for research consultation, use of materials in the library, and copying. There is also a dense library and an automated library.
Kansai Bijutsuin is an art research institute located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. Its predecessors are the Kansai Art Society, Twenty-day Association, which is a social gathering for Western-style painters organized in Kansai in 1901, and the Seigoin Western-style Painting Institute, which was founded by Western-style painter Asai Chu in 1902. The professors were Takeshirō Kanoko, Yoshihiko Ito, Hideki Totori, and others, who produced many talented Japanese modern Western-style paintings. Even in modern times, he has inherited excellent painting education, such as producing award winners at the Nitten exhibition. Since its inception, most leaders have been teaching without compensation and are still basically run by free activities.
The education system is divided into two parts, Koshina and Otsuka. In Otsuka, plaster drawings are made, and in Koshina, human body drawings and oil paintings are made. In addition, a croquis meeting and a human body drawing meeting are held separately, and with the prior consent, non-graduate students (researchers) can participate. It was privately owned by Western-style painter Yuyuki Mitani, but as of November 2017, it is owned by Ishiyama-dera with the donation of Mitani. The building was designed by Goichi Takeda and is a nationally registered tangible cultural property.
The Hosomi Museum is a registered museum in Kyoto Prefecture that focuses on Japanese antiquities in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. It is managed and operated by the Hosomi Art Foundation, a former Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Ryoichi Hosomi (commonly known as Hosomi Ryo, No .: Koukaan, 1901-1978) and his eldest son, Minoru Hosomi (1922-2006), Yoshiyuki Hosomi (1954-), a businessman who made a fortune with woolen fabrics in Izumiotsu City, Osaka Prefecture. -) This museum was established to display oriental antiquities collected by the 3rd generation. It was approved as the Hosomi Art Foundation in 1994 (Heisei 6), and the museum was opened in 1998 (Heisei 10).
The collections of the Hosomi family are designated as important cultural properties in most fields of Japanese art, from paintings from the Edo period such as Rinpa and Ito Jakuchu, Buddhist paintings from the Heian period, Buddhist statues, Buddhist tools, and artifacts excavated from ancient burial mounds. , Includes many properties certified as important art objects. Ryoichi Hosomi insisted that “the best art in the world is a Buddhist painting from the Fujiwara era in Japan” and “I can understand the rigor and sweetness of the shape even though I entered this road from metal crafts”. Among the collection, Buddhist paintings, Buddhist tools, copper mirrors and other metalwork are outstanding.
The museum is located in an area where cultural facilities are concentrated, adjacent to Okazaki Park and close to the Kyoto City Museum of Art and the National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto. The building designed by Tadashi Oe is a modern architecture that incorporates the motif of a Kyoto townhouse, and the courtyard, cafe / restaurant, roof garden, tea room, etc., which are open from the 2nd basement floor to the 3rd floor above ground, form a relaxing space. There is. The Koraimon of Zeze Castle, owned by the foundation, has been relocated to 2-chome, Matsunohama-cho, Izumiotsu-shi, Osaka.
Kyoto University Museum
Approximately 2.6 million valuable academic specimen materials collected by Kyoto University for more than 100 years since its opening are stored and managed, utilized for front-line research and educational activities, and emphasis is placed on introducing the latest results. This is Japan’s first full-scale university window = University Museum. This is the largest exhibition hall of a Japanese university museum and exhibits Kyoto University research in an easy-to-understand manner. In addition to permanent exhibitions related to cultural history, natural history and technical history, special exhibitions / special exhibitions, research resources / archive videos, and permanent stations, public lectures and children’s learning classes are held and are open to the general public. We also introduce cutting-edge achievements through our Internet website.
Lake Biwa Canal Museum
August 1989 Opened on the banks of Keage Incline. The museum exhibits a clear ink book with a total length of 5 meters, an actual measurement map of the waterway between Kyoto and Otsu, paintings depicting difficult construction, and construction-related documents. There is also a model of Keage Incline, and you can see the history of Lake Biwa Canal.
Sen-oku Hakukokan is an art museum centered on oriental art in Shishigadani, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto. Mainly the ancient Chinese bronze ware donated by Sumitomo Yoshizaemon will be exhibited. There is an annex in Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo. It is operated by Sen-oku Hakukokan Foundation.
Sen-oku Hakukokan Foundation was established in 1960 as an institution to preserve and open the Sumitomo family’s art collection, especially ancient Chinese bronze ware. The origin of the name is “Izumiya”, the name of the Sumitomo family in the Edo period, and “Bo Gu catalog”, a bronze catalog edited by the emperor’s order during the Song era of China. It is unknown when this name was used, but it can be seen that the “Izumiya Hiroko” forehead of Saionji Kinmochi was hung on the front of the old copperware warehouse, and it was used at least in the early Showa period when the old copperware warehouse was completed. In 2002, as part of the 300th anniversary of the opening of the Besshi Copper Mine, an annex was opened in the Izumi Garden (redevelopment area consisting of the Izumi Garden Tower, etc.) in Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo.
The collection includes ancient Chinese bronze ware, mirrors, calligraphy and stationery collected by Sumitomo Yoshizaemon (1864-1926), the 15th head of the Sumitomo family, and the Chinese Ming dynasty collected by his eldest son, Sumitomo Kanichi (1896-1965). The collection focuses on paintings by the Qing dynasty, Western paintings collected by the 16th owner Sumitomo Yoshizaemon (1909-1993), and the sumitomo family that was introduced to the Sumitomo family from the Edo period.
The total number of collections is about 3,500, including 2 national treasures and 13 important cultural properties (19). Bronze ware mainly in the Shang and Zhou dynasties of China, bronze mirrors of Japan and China, Buddhist statues, and Ming and Qing dynasties. Chinese calligraphy and paintings centered around are famous. Frida Fisher, an oriental art researcher who visited the collection at Sumitomo’s residence in 1910, was overwhelmed by saying, “Even if millionaires from all over the world are bundled together, it will be impossible to surpass the Sumitomo collection.” The situation is spelled out.
Namikawa Yasuyuki Cloisonne Memorial Hall
A memorial hall for Yasuyuki Namikawa, a cloisonné who represents Japan from the Meiji to Taisho eras. In addition to the cloisonne works (nationally registered tangible cultural property) handed down to the Namagawa family, old mansions and workshops (nationally registered tangible cultural property and Kyoto city designated historical design buildings, landscape important buildings, historical scenic formation buildings), seven The garden designed by Jihei Ogawa (a scenic spot designated by Kyoto City) is open to the public.
Fujii Seiseikai Arikan
Fujii Seiseikai Arikan is a private art museum located in Okazaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, which focuses on Chinese antiquities. The Fujii Seiseikai Foundation (currently a public interest incorporated foundation) preserves and exhibits the Oriental Art Collection of a businessman from Shiga Prefecture, Zensuke Fujii (1873-1943, founder of Fujii Spinning Co., Ltd. (later to become Fujii)). It was established in 1926 as an institution for the purpose. It is one of the pioneers of a private art museum in Japan. The building, which is a cultural property registered by Kyoto City, has three floors above ground, and the oriental-style exhibition hall with a vermilion-painted octagonal hall on the roof has been around since its establishment, and the interior of the exhibition room retains the atmosphere of the early Showa period.
The collection, which includes one national treasure and nine national important cultural properties, is diverse, including bronze ware, Buddhist statues, calligraphy, and ceramics from each era from the Shang dynasty to the Qing dynasty in China. Widely known as a rare collection is the cheat underwear (length 134 cm), which is said to have been used during the examination of the Imperial Examination, with all 600,000 characters of the Four Books and Five Classics written on the front and back in a fine regular script. ..
Hakusasonso is a mansion in Jodoji, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, where Japanese-style painter Hashimoto Kansetsu has lived since 1916 (Taisho 5). The building on the premises is composed mainly of a large main house that includes a study, a living room, a guest room, a courtyard, etc., and a painting room called the old tower that produced folding screens. In the southern part of the garden, there are a group of tea rooms called Ikakuan, Kosui-tei, and Nyo-tei. Ikakuan is a tea room that is a copy of Kodaiji Entoku-in. In 2014, a new two-story museum was opened, displaying Kansetsu’s works and collections.
Nomura Museum of Art
Tokushichi Nomura (Nomura Tokushichi), the founder of Nomura Securities and the former Daiwa Bank, exhibited arts and crafts collected based on the tea ceremony. There are paintings, Bokuseki, tea utensils, Noh masks, Noh costumes, etc. (7 important cultural properties) There is a tea ceremony at the standing ceremony and there is a tea ceremony for rent.
Events / festivals
Five Great Powers of Godairiki
Hyakumanben Chionji Temple New Year’s Eve
Heian Shrine / Red Weeping Concert
Flower offering exhibition
Cherry blossom festival
Treasure insect dispelling party
Shinen free release
Cherry-blossom tea ceremony
Kyoto Cuisine Exhibition
Ten days and ten nights
Reclining Buddha released
Kaguraoka Shrine Shinko Festival
Kyoto Takigi Noh
Calling voice Amida Keikai
Ancient bow ritual
Sencha Tea Festival
Imamiya Shrine Shinko Festival
Dhutanga training in the cold
Hyakumanben Chionji Temple Toya Hosho Autumn Gathering
Pumpkin memorial service
Natsukoshi’s Great Harae Ceremony