Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kinki Region, Japan

Nakagyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. Nakagyo Ward was divided from Kamigyo and Shimogyo in April 1945, and was literally born as the center of Kyoto City. Since then, it has developed into a wonderful city where political, economic, and cultural functions are concentrated, supported by the spirit of the townspeople and a high sense of autonomy inherited from their predecessors.

The three most famous festivals in Kyoto, Aoi Matsuri, Gion Matsuri, and Jidai Matsuri, are held in Nakagyo Ward. The area is home to numerous historic sites, temples and art galleries, including Nijo Castle (former residence of the Tokugawa Shogunate) and the Kyoto International Manga Museum.

The current range of Nakagyo Ward belongs to Kadono-gun and Atago-gun in Yamashiro Province during the decree era, and belongs to Kyoto Prefecture, which was newly established after the abolition of the Edo Shogunate in 1868, and Kyoto Prefecture became a county, ward, town, and village in 1879. When the organization law was enforced, Nakagyo Ward and Shimogyo Ward were established under Kyoto Prefecture. The city system was implemented in Japan in 1889, and Kamigyo Ward and Shimogyo Ward were added to Kyoto City, but the administrative divisions of Kamigyo Ward and Shimogyo Ward are still on hold. In 1929, the area south of Marutamachi Dori in Kamigyo Ward and the area north of Shijo Dori in Shimogyo Ward were separated to establish the current Nakagyo Ward.

Since 1985, the population has temporarily fallen below 100,000, but in recent years the population has returned to the city center, and the 2005 Japan Census showed that the population of this ward once again exceeded 100,000. Today, the townscape is changing due to the increase in condominiums and buildings, and the population is aging.

Nakagyo Ward is south of Marutamachi Dori in the former Kamigyo Ward and north of Shijo Dori in the former Shimogyo Ward (the town facing Shimogyo Ward is Shimogyo Ward, but the area called Mibu west of Shijo Omiya is Gojo Dori in the south.・ It was established by separating from Nishioji-dori in the west, part of Nishinokyo to the location of Municipal Kitano Junior High School in the north, and Kitsuji-dori in the west.

It is located almost in the center of downtown Kyoto. The east borders Sakyo Ward and Higashiyama Ward, the west, south, and north border Ukyo Ward, Shimogyo Ward, and Kamigyo Ward, respectively, and a small part of the northwest borders Kita Ward. Area 7.38 square kilometers. The estimated population as of March 2009 is approximately 103,600. It is a ward newly established in 1929 with each part of Kamigyo Ward and Shimogyo Ward.

The Kamo River runs to the east of the ward, forming a border with Higashiyama Ward. Nijo Castle occupies a vast area in the north of the central part of the ward. The area around Shijo Kawaramachi in the southeastern part of the ward is the city’s premier downtown area, and Pontocho-dori, which retains the remnants of Hanamachi, and Nishiki Market, an arcade, are also nearby. Kyoto City Hall is also in the ward.

Umeya school district
The Umeya school district has many aristocratic mansions during the Heian period, and among them, it is a historical area where Koyoin, which was the mansion of Fujiwara Sekiseki, was located. During the Azuchi-Momoyama period, Toyotomi Hideyoshi remodeled the town of Kyoto, and as part of this, new roads such as Koromonodori, Kamanza-dori, and Ogawa-dori leading to the north and south were built, and the original form of the current Nakagyo Ward was created. .. By the way, the origin of Umeya is that it came to be called Umeya because an elementary school was built on the site of the Umeyashiki that Hideyoshi Kampaku loved.

Takema school district
The Takema school district is a school district that is long and narrow from east to west across Marutamachi Dori in the north, Nijo Dori in the south, Takakura Dori in the east, and Muromachi Dori in the west. Currently, about 1,000 households live in the school district, aiming to create a vibrant school district, with a wide range of ages centered on various groups such as inhabitants’ athletic meet, summer festival and New Year’s rice cake making competition, and lively salon using the self-governing hall. We hold events for the class, provide a place for exchange between old residents and newly relocated people, and carry out activities so that the school district residents can become one.

Fuyu school district
Teramachi-dori, which is lined with unique shops such as second-hand bookstores and antique art, has a beautifully paved pedestrian road, creating a retro atmosphere. In addition to the shopping street of Iwakawa-dori, where furniture stores are concentrated, there is a shopping street of Nijo-dori, which is convenient for daily shopping, at the southern end. Four are focused on handing down the techniques of outstanding traditional industries and fostering successors. Many “modern master craftsmen” and “traditional industrial technology meritors” live in the area, and while communicating with the people who create the culture and the towns that accept it, they carefully protect the heritage of the heart and the traditions of life.

School district
The school district is located in the center of Nakagyo Ward, surrounded by Horikawa-dori in the east, Shinsen-en-dori in the west, Oshikoji-dori in the north, and Sanjo-dori in the south. Historically, it is close to the Imperial Palace’s forbidden garden (Shinsen-en), which was built when Heiankyo was built, Nijo Castle, which was built by the Tokugawa family, and the East-West Machi-bugyō, which was the government office of the Edo period, and is a special accommodation instead of the headquarters. There are historic sites such as Nijo Jinya, which is famous for its unique structure. By the way, each street of the school district was created by Toyotomi Hideyoshi when Jurakudai was built (Kuromon-dori, Iwagami-dori, Inokuma-dori, Shinsen-en-dori, etc.).

Kyogyo Elementary School has a long history, and it was a venerable elementary school that opened on October 26, 1902, ahead of the rest of the country, but it was closed due to the changing times, and then integrated with Inui Elementary School in April 1992. We have made a new start as Rakuchu Elementary School. Recently, the number of new residents is increasing due to the increase in condominium construction and new detached houses, and by participating in these events, the opportunities for interaction are steadily expanding. It seems to be the beginning of a new time that will make up the next generation.

Shirotatsu school district
The castle district is called “Shirotatsu” because it is located in the direction of Tatsumi (southeast) and Tatsumi of Nijo Castle, and is surrounded by Horikawa from the front of Shinmachi-dori and from Nijo to Sanjo. There are many historical sites in this school district, including the remains of Kaguya and Horikawa, which were the bases of the Fujiwara Kita family in the early Heian period, the remains of Takamatsu Shinmei Shrine, and Hideyoshi Toyotomi. There are the remains of Myokenji Castle that were used until the construction of Jurakudai. Today, Oike-dori has become a wonderful street as a symbol road of Kyoto City. In the future, the city of Kyoto is working together to make the street look like the Champs Elysees in Paris, which is lively and brilliant.

Tatsuike school district
The townspeople of Kyoto, who were in danger of declining due to the transfer of the capital to Tokyo following the Meiji Restoration, believed that the revival of Kyoto was in “human resource development”, and in the 2nd year of the Meiji era, the town was divided into “programs” as a unit. , Established 64 “program elementary schools” which are the foundation of Japan’s modern school education system (the school system was promulgated in 1897).

One of them, Tatsuike Elementary School, raised 2,000 construction costs with the donation of Tatsuike school district residents who are passionate about education without receiving a subsidy from Kyoto Prefecture, and November 1, 1902. Opened as the 25th program elementary school in Kyoto, Japan. The former site of Tatsuike Elementary School is located in the center of Kyoto, with convenient transportation, an area with an understanding and passion for education and culture, and a school building that conveys history and tradition to the present. It is the best place for the Kyoto International Manga Museum (tentative name), which will be opened as a new tourist spot where people gather and bring a lot of activity as a learning base.

Hatsune School District
Oike-dori, which was developed as a symbol road in Kyoto, is a road that runs through the center of the Hatsune former school district, which is our town. The former school district is an important community place that connects people in each town and is the starting point of various activities. However, the former Hatsune School, which is the base of activities for the local community, is a truly blessed facility. Hatsune School closed in 1993, but is now reborn as a facility called “Kyoto City Education Counseling Center” and nicknamed “Children’s Counseling Center Patna”. It is a facility for children who can no longer attend school. Last year, Rakufu Junior High School, which allows students to graduate as it is, opened. In addition to the self-governing hall, the facility is a unique building with a kaleidoscope museum and a coffee shop. There is a “Hatsune Garden” with a Suikinkutsu on the premises, and the ground is all grass.

Yanagiike school district
Construction of a new junior high school is underway on the site of the former Yanaginobamba Junior High School in Oike-dori Yanaginobamba. This is a new school building of Kyoto Oike Junior High School, which has 13 school districts in the eastern part of Nakagyo Ward and Kasuga School District in Tokyo. In recent years, the number of restaurants has tended to increase throughout the school district. In the place that used to be a residential area, a coffee shop, a bar, small dishes, a cooking shop, etc. have been opened, and it has become a town that is bustling at night. In addition to Teramachi-dori, Nijo-dori, and the underground shopping district Zest, the Yanagiike school district is also busy at night. It has a lot to do with the construction of an increasing number of condominiums in the school district. The transformation of old wooden houses into high-rise condominiums is one of the causes of population growth.

Dohda School District
The historic site of the Meiji Restoration, the former site of the residence of the lord of the lord, and the site of the clan’s residence still remain on campus, and the Takase River created by Suminokura Ryoi played a leading role in logistics from the Edo period to the Meiji era. At the beginning of the Meiji era, the building secret bureau (RIKEN), Oriden, Dyeing hall, scholarship office, medical treatment hospital (advancement of prefectural hospital), etc. were set up, and Shimadzu Seisakusho by Genzo Shimadzu and Kyoto Hotel by Matayoshi Maeda also opened. A city hall was also set up in the middle of the Meiji era, giving the appearance of a modernization base in the Meiji era.

Inui school district
Since the Inui school district is located to the west of Eishobo in Shinbo in Heiankyo, many temples were built during the Muromachi and Edo eras, with Sanjo Dori in the north, Shijo Dori in the south, and Horikawa Dori in the east. The west is divided by Koin-dori, which connects Shinsen-en Nishiichicho, Senbon Sanjo, and Shijo Omiya (oblique road), and occupies a slightly long north-south terrain including a part of the north side that enters Shijo Omiya west. Located on the border with. Currently, there are 15 temples including celebrity tombs, 4 historical shrines, and 20 modern clinics in the school districts of 27 towns and 5 condominiums.

In the daily life of the school district, it is in an environment that is blessed with transportation, as well as in almost all industries and public facilities such as Sanjokai shopping street, Shijo Omiya terminal, kindergarten, nursery school, and further activation for the future. Is expected to be promoted. Inui Elementary School also built a Shimogyo 1 program elementary school by the local townspeople in 1902. Brewing famous sake from the school district, producing many master craftsmen and craftsmen, boasting history and tradition, but integrated with the adjacent educational elementary school due to the decrease in the number of children due to the change of the times, renamed to “Rakuchu Elementary School”, Nakagyo Ward Opened in April 1992 as the first integrated elementary school in Nakagyo.

Instinct school district
The instinct school district is surrounded by Nishinotoin Dori in the east, Horikawa Dori in the west, Shijo Dori in the south, and Sanjo Dori in the north, and is composed of 24 towns. Since the transfer of capital to Heian, it has a history of more than a thousand years. The ruins of a gentleman’s mansion, the ruins of Kuya-do, the dojo of the famous priest Kuya in the Muromachi period, the ruins of Honnoji, the ruins of the residences of each daimyo in the Edo period, and Hirose who invented Yuzen from hand-painted Yuzen even in the Meiji period. The ruins of the workshop of Bijio, etc. The people of the condominium, who now live as new residents of instinct, have also started up with the cooperation of town development with instinct as a historical town and a dyed town. As long as it is powerful.

Condominiums are growing on the site of a dyeing factory in the ward, and the situation is changing completely. However, it was once said to be a dyeing town, and 700 out of 1,000 houses were engaged in dyeing. Overcoming the great blow to the textile industry, the Town Development Committee was established under the banner of the instinct of the town of dyeing, and is working to revive the town of dyeing based on the bookmark for the town development of instinct. Many outstanding engineers, nationally certified dyeing technicians, traditional craftsmen, etc. still live as instinctive residents.

Meirin School District
The environment of the former Meirin school district is located in the central part of Kyoto city surrounded by Karasuma-dori, Shijo-dori, Sanjo-dori, and Saitoin-dori, and has prospered as a commercial and economic center since Heiankyo, and has a long history of 1000 years. The tradition that was brought up there is still handed down. It has long been known as a wholesale district for so-called textiles and dyed kimono, and even today it is still known as the center of trading companies dealing with the whole country and as the Muromachi line of textiles. There is a processing industry related to these clothes and textiles, and the area from Karasuma Shijo to Sanjo Dori is known as a gathering area for companies, banks, etc.

Nissho School District
The Nissho School District is surrounded by Yanaginobamba Dori in the east, Karasuma Dori in the west, Sanjo Dori in the north, and Shijo Dori in the south. At the center of this is Takakura Elementary School, which was opened in April 1995 by integrating five schools. Takakura Elementary School was built on the site of Nissho Elementary School.

The Nissho School District is a very convenient school district in terms of daily life. The Daimaru Department Store, which is also known as the “Kyoto Kitchen / Nishiki Market” and the Daimaru-san, is very useful. In addition, there is “Wings Kyoto” (Kyoto City Women’s General Center), which was built ahead of other cities. This is a new symbol for the Nissho School District, as it has been engaged in various projects to improve the social status of women. In this way, the area is convenient for living and rich in the scent of Kyoto culture, so in recent years, condominium construction has progressed and the population is on the rise.

Birthplace school district
The Seisho school district is an old school district that spans Sanjo-dori in the north, Shijo-dori in the south, Teramachi-dori in the east, Tominokoji-dori in the west, and Yanaginobamba-dori. During the Edo period, it was the Atarashi-cho of the Nanryo group in Shimokokyo and the Atarashi-cho of the Mimachi group. There are currently 24 towns in the school district, some of which have changed names such as Benkeiishicho.

Rissei School District
Ritsusei School District is located in the southeastern part of Nakagyo Ward, facing the Kamo River in the east, east of Teramachi Dori in the west, north of Sanjo Dori in the north, and north of Shijo Dori in the south. It is an area with a lively downtown area. The name of the school district changed from Shimogyo 6 Ward in 1897 to Shimogyo 6 Group, Shimogyo 6th School District, and then to Rissei School District in 1945.

Historically, in the urban remodeling carried out by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, large temples such as Enpō-ji and Kankiko-ji were gathered to create a temple town, and along with the development of water transportation due to the excavation of the Takase River by Suminokura Ryoi, timber , Kiya, Yoneya and other merchant houses developed, and Ponto-cho appeared in the second year of Enpo. In addition, it became the stage of the Meiji Restoration, and many historic sites such as the site of Ikedaya, the site of Kaientai Tonsho, the site of the Tosa domain’s residence, and the site of Oumiya where Ryoma Sakamoto was assassinated are left. The townscape, which is colored by such history, is changing with the passage of time, but I hope that it will retain its vestiges as much as possible.

Suzaku 1st School District
As the name implies, the center of Kyoto, a world-famous cultural and tourism city, is Nakagyo Ward. Nakagyo Ward, which is the center of finance, distribution, and economy, consists of 23 school districts, and our Suzaku 1st School District is geographically at the center of it.

Suzaku 2nd School District
Suzaku 2nd School District is located in the northwestern part of Nakagyo Ward. Are formed as the same number of towns (15 each), and there is something very interesting, albeit by accident. The Kyoto City Lifelong Learning Center (Kyoto Asney), the Central Library, the Holiday Emergency Clinic, the Juraku Nursery School, the Juraku Children’s Center, and the Kojaku Chibikko Hiroba are located in the northern area of ​​Marutamachi Dori Shichihonmatsu to Sogozukodori.

Suzaku 3rd School District
Zhu San School District is called Mibu, Nakagyo Ward and is located in the southernmost part of Nakagyo. In the olden days, Mibu was a place where water springs from ancient times, and it was very blessed with water quality, and it was also a production center for Mibu vegetables, rapeseed, and indigo. It is said that the light blue dyed with indigo was touted as the color of Mibu. For that reason, the dyeing and weaving industry has been active for a long time, and there have been many dyeing factories.

In the Zhu San School District, there are famous old temples such as Mibudera Temple, which is the back demon gate of Kyoto and a temple where demons come, and Naginomiya Shrine (Moto-Gion), which is known as a god of evil. There are also the former Maekawa House, Shinsengumi Temple, and Yagi House, which are famous for their groups. Suzaku 3rd Elementary School was established more than 80 years ago, three or four years before the establishment of Nakagyo Ward. It was completely renovated in 2001 and has become a school with the most advanced equipment in Kyoto City.

Suzaku 4th School District
The area of ​​Suzaku 4th School District is the 4th of the 8 school districts in the Suzaku area, centering on Suzaku 4th Elementary School, about 0.5 km east-west and 1 km north-south, that is, JR Sanin Line in the north, Sanjo-dori / Nishi-Takase River in the south, and east. Is in the ward surrounded by Mori-dori (Aigozuko) below Gozen-dori, and Nishioji-dori in the west.

As a historic site, there is a “Midoi site” that Toyotomi Hideyoshi built around Kyoto in Haramachi (designated as a historic site in 1945, to worship Ichigoro Daimeijin), “Funatsuka” in Funatsuka Town, and “Funatsuka” in Nishinokyo Nishigekko Town. There is “Moonlight Inari”. In addition, the “Kyoto Meteorological Observatory”, the source of the weather forecast that citizens are always concerned about, is located in the Zhu Shi School District. It was originally opened in Kyoto Gyoen National Garden in 1880 and relocated to the present Jikasaden Town in 1923. In spring, the cherry blossoms over the wall are wonderful, and it is the standard for cherry blossoms in Kyoto.

Suzaku Fifth School District
Suzaku Fifth School District is located at the western end of Nakagyo Ward. It is a deformed protruding terrain up to the boundary with. In our school district, Suzaku Junior High School has come to play a role as the core of local education.

Suzaku 6th School District
Suzaku Sixth School District is the area where Heiankyo’s Toyorakuden, Suzakumon, etc. were located, and is located in the western part of Nakagyo Ward. Suzaku 6th School District has Suzaku 6th Elementary School, Nishinokyo Junior High School, Nakagyo Junior High School (school district), and Suzaku High School.

Suzaku 7th School District
The 7th school district of Suzaku faces Shijo-dori in the north and Matsubara-dori in the south, and Mibushimomizo-cho and Morimae-cho in the east and Doinouchi-cho and Himachi in the west across Gozen-dori. It is formed in 33 towns. Nishishindo-dori has the Nishinkai shopping street, which consists of about 150 stores, but it is gaining popularity due to the introduction of prepaid cards and the “experiential learning of business people” for school excursion students. Because of the old-fashioned land with many elderly people, shopping is crowded every day at Nishiki Shotengai.

Suzaku 8th School District
Suzaku Eighth School District is located at the northwestern end of Nakagyo Ward and borders Ukyo Ward and Kita Ward. It is the largest school district in Nakagyo Ward in terms of area and population. Many houses began to be built after the streetcar opened between Emmachi and Shijo in 1933, and it finally became like a town, but before, a lot of fields remained. Since Marutamachi Dori extended to the west in the 30’s of the Showa era, it has made great strides. In 2001, Oike-dori, which had been suspended, opened to Tenjingawa, and the JR San-in Line, which blocked the school district, became elevated and Emmachi Station opened.

The school district has various medical facilities including a general hospital, JR Marumachi station, subway station, Hanazono University, public and city high schools, kindergartens and nursery schools. In addition, the “Hearing and Language Disorder Center”, the “Children’s Day Service Center” and the “Silver Human Resources Center”, which are rare in the city, have also been established. Welfare-related services include home care support centers, day service centers, and children’s centers. In addition to the shopping district, it is also a school district with many students because it is convenient for commuting to school, such as large-scale retail stores.

Historic sites

Nijo Castle
Former Rikyu Nijo Castle is a Japanese castle (lowland castle) built by the Edo Shogunate in Nijo Castle Town (formerly Kadono District, Yamashiro Province), Nijo Dori, Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City. There are those by Mr. Ashikaga, Mr. Oda, Mr. Toyotomi, and Mr. Tokugawa, which will be described later, but the existing castle is by Mr. Tokugawa. In the later modern period, Nijo Castle was used as a palace for the government offices of Kyoto Prefecture and the imperial family. The entire castle is designated as a national historic site, the Ninomaru Palace (6 buildings) is a national treasure, 22 buildings and 1016 barrier paintings of the Ninomaru Palace are important cultural properties, and the Ninomaru Palace Garden is a special place of scenic beauty. It is specified. Furthermore, in 1994 (Heisei 6), it was registered as a “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto” in the UNESCO World Heritage Site (World Cultural Heritage).

It is also the place where the Edo Shogunate began and ended, with the celebration of Tokugawa Ieyasu’s proclamation and the repatriation of Tokugawa Yoshinobu. In the later modern era, it became a place used as a feast for the coronation ceremony, which is the ceremony of the emperor Taisho. Nijo Castle is located on the southeastern tip of the former Heiankyo Heian Palace and the site of “Shinsen-en”, a forbidden garden (the emperor’s garden) to the south. Approximately 500 meters east-west and 400 meters north-south, it is almost rectangular, but strictly speaking, it is convex when viewed from the east side. The western part, where the width of the north and south is narrowed, was expanded by the major renovation of Kanei during the Tokugawa Iemitsu era, and when it was built by Ieyasu, it was only the current eastern half (Ninomaru).

Kyoto Shinjo
Kyoto Shinjo is a castle-style residence for Toyotomi Hideyori, which was set up in the southeastern part of the Kyoto Imperial Palace (forbidden) as the official residence of the Toyotomi Kampaku family after Hideyoshi Taiko defeated Jurakudai of Hidetsugu Sekishiro. However, after that, no one was appointed to Kampaku by the Toyotomi family, and after Hideyori used it for a short period of time, it was only used as a retreat by Kodai-in (Hokkaido), which is Hideyoshi’s regular room. In addition, “Kyoto Shinjo” is a name from the present age, and was initially called Taiko Oyashiki, Taiko Gosho, Taiko Jokyo Mansion, etc., and eventually it was called Shinjo, Hideyori Sir Gojo, Kyoto Castle, etc. It was. However, a name like the former “Juraku (No.)” was not given to this new No..

From the end of the second year of Keicho (1597), various daimyo in the Kanto region were mobilized, and a new castle was built in the eastern part of Shimogyo (currently in Nakagyo Ward). However, in April, the location was changed to the southeastern part of the forbidden area (a large area including the current southeastern part of Kyoto Gyoen National Garden). There are many unclear points about how Hideyori’s castle was conceived, but given the scale of Kyoto Shinjo and the fact that it was moved to a point where it touches the ban, it is supposed to mean more than any inn. It may have been. In the middle of the Edo period, the map “Nakamukashi Koike Machino Ezu”, which was restored by Kinsai Mori, says “Taiko”, and this place dates back to the Heian period, when Mido Kanpakuki Fujiwara no Michinaga was the Tsuchimikado-dai. It is thought that this is the place where Jurakudai was set up, and there is a view that Hidekichi chose this place because he longed for Mido Kanpaku, as if Jurakudai was set up in the former Heian Palace.

Jurakudai is a government office, mansion, and castle built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in “Uchino” (Heiankyo Ouchi back ruins, now Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City) during the Azuchi-Momoyama period. Since it was demolished eight years after its completion, there are many unclear points. Jurakudai started construction in February 1586 (Tensho 14) as the government office and residence of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who became Kampaku, and moved from Myokenji Castle because it was completed in September 1587 (Tensho 15).

Although Jurakudai is said to have three curved wheels, centered on the main enclosure, the Nishimaru, Minaminimaru, and Kitamaru (extended by Toyotomi Hidetsugu), it was a flat castle because it was surrounded by a moat. Gold leaf tiles are used for the building, and the appearance of a multi-story building such as a white-walled turret and a castle tower is depicted in “Jurakudai Folding Screen” and “Rakuchu Rakugaizu” (early Edo period).

Furthermore, in the “Juraku Kojozu” held by the National Diet Library and Hiroshima City Library (Asano Bunko), there is a “Tenjo” written in the northwest corner of the main enclosure, and the existence of the castle tower is presumed, but on the other hand there was no castle tower. It is also pointed out that it may be. According to Hidetsugu’s vassal Shigekatsu Komai’s “Komai Diary”, the total length of the wall on the stone wall of the main enclosure was 486, and the total length of the fence around the four laps including the three Kuruwa was 1031. According to Kanemi Yoshida’s “Sir Kanemi”, the width of the moat was 20 and the depth was 3.

Gyoganji Temple
Gyoganji is a temple of the Tendai sect in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Mt. Known as the leather hall. Saigoku 33rd place 19th bill place. The principal image is the Senju Kannon Bosatsu (Senju Kannon). According to “Hyakurensho”, “Nihon Kiryaku”, etc., Gyoganji was named Gyoganji in the first year of Kanko (1004) by reconstructing the temple on the site of Ichijo Kitabe-do in Ichijo Ogawa. Is. Regarding Ichijo Kitabe-do, “Nihon Kiryaku” Eiso 1st year (989) August 13th article states “Ichijo Kitabe-do building collapsed”, which confirms that it existed before the construction of Gyoganji Temple. The original temple ground was in Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City, to the west of Kyoto Gyoen, and the town names of Kodocho, Kodonakanocho, and Kodo Nishimachi remain nearby.

Before entering the Buddhist gate, Gyoen was engaged in hunting, but one day, when he shot a female deer in the mountains, he saw a fawn born from the belly of the dead female deer and realized that he was not killed. It is said that he entered the Buddhist gate. Gyoganji always wore the skin of the female deer, so it was called the skin saint, the skin saint, and so on, and the name of the temple came to be called the leather hall. The year of birth and death of Enryakuji is unknown, but it is estimated to be from Yokogawa on Mt. Hiei. Fujiwara no Michinaga’s breath, Akinobu Fujiwara, was a priest in the 9th year of Kanko (1012). The temple was relocated to Teramachi Kojinguchi (currently Kamigyo Ward, east side of Kyoto Gyoen National Garden) in 1590 due to city planning by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. After the Great Fire of Hoei in Hoei 5 (1708), it moved to the present location, which was slightly south of the old site of Teramachi Arakamiguchi.

Shounji Temple
Shounji is a temple of the Jodo sect in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City. The principal image is Amida Nyorai. Rakuyo 33 Kannon Sacred Ground No. 26 Fudasho. In the 5th year of Keicho (1600), Kakubei Iida, a senior vassal of Kiyomasa Kato, the lord of the Kumamoto domain in Higo Province, built Shounji Temple with the honor of the Jodo sect as the opening mountain, but after a while it was renamed Shounji Temple.

The 1-shaku 2-inch 11-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue enshrined in this temple was made by Unkei from the same wood as the 11-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue at Hasedera Temple in Yamato. It is an absolutely secret Buddha and has never been opened. A woman of heavy weight who visited this eleven-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue has given birth to a child safely at this temple, and has been called “Anzan Temple” ever since. The Great Fire of Tenmei in 1788 burned down the cathedral, but the eleven-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue and the kitchen were safe. The current building was later reconstructed.

Shinsen-en is a temple of the Toji Shingon sect in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City. The principal image is Holy Kannon. Located in the south of Nijo Castle, it was originally a forbidden garden (a garden for the emperor) built adjacent to the Heiankyo University Heian Palace. This area was a forbidden garden built in the area bordering the south of the Heian palace at that time, at about the same time as the transfer of capital to Heiankyo in the 13th year of the Enryaku calendar (794). It is thought that Ikezawa, a remnant of Lake Kokyo (Lake Koyamashiro), was originally built here in a garden, and the original site extends from Nijo-dori to Sanjo-dori, about 500 meters north-south and about 240 meters east-west. It was a large garden centered on a pond (currently Hosei Pond).

The name can be seen for the first time in historical materials in the article “Nihon Kiryaku”, which states that Emperor Kanmu went on July 19, 19 (August 12, 800). It is said that a banquet was held in the 21st year of the Enryaku calendar (802), and it is believed that Shinsen-en Garden became a banquet hall for the emperor and courtiers from around this time. Also, in “Nihon Koki”, it is said that Emperor Saga held a “Flower Feast Festival” at Shinsen-en Garden in Konin 3 (812), which is considered to be the first cherry blossom viewing to be recorded. ing. It is said that the dragon god (Zennyo Ryuou) lives in the pond of Shinsen-en, which does not drip in any sunshine year regardless of the season, and in the first year of Tencho (824), Moritoshi of Saiji Temple and Kukai of Toji Temple pray for rain. Kukai won by competing for the law and soliciting Zennyo Ryuou from Tenjiku’s unheated pond. In addition, since Kukai, monks of the Shingon sect have been begging for rain many times.

Seiganji Temple
Seiganji Temple is a temple located in Shinkyogoku-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto. It is the head temple of the Jodo sect Nishiyama Fukakusa school. The principal image is Amida Nyorai, and the scripture of the reliance is Jodo Sanbukyo. New Saigoku 33 places 15th bill place. It was founded in Nara in the 6th year of Emperor Tenji (667) at the request of Emperor Tenji. It became a temple of the Sanron sect, but eventually converted and became the property of Kofukuji of the Hosso sect. During the Heian period, Sei Shonagon and Izumi Shikibu were devoted to it, and it was said to be a temple for women.

After that, Seiganji Temple became a member of the Jodo sect and moved to Ichijo Ogawa (currently near Motoseiganji Dori) in Kyoto because the priesthood of the Hosso sect, Kuratoshi, handed it over to Honen. There, Shokū Nishiyama, a disciple of Honen, entered and began to spread the teachings of Seizan Jodo, and the Seizan Jodo sect was established. In addition to Seiganji Temple, which was later inherited from Shokū by his disciple Ritsunobu (Enku), Shinjuin was built in the land of Fukakusa, and the teachings of the Fukakusa style were introduced by incorporating his own ideas on top of the teachings of Shokū. Established and disseminated.

Since it is close to the Kyoto Imperial Palace, there were many exchanges with the imperial court. There is “Osho-ji” in the Noh song, but it refers to this Motoyama. It is well known in the performing arts as a temple with a fan mound as a temple that prays for the fulfillment of entertainers such as storytelling, rakugo, and comic storytelling developed from sermons. It is also said to be the birthplace of rakugo. Even now, entertainers from the Kansai region are still holding practice sessions at this temple. The tombs of Kyogoku Ryuko and Toyotomi Hideyori’s child, Kunimatsu, were located at the tower head, Chikurin-in, but were moved to the Toyotomi Mausoleum in Higashiyama Ward in 1904 (Meiji 37).

Chohoji is a stand-alone temple of the Tendai sect in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Mt. Shiun. The principal image of Nyoirin Kanzeon Bosatsu (Nyoirin Kannon) is a secret Buddha. Saigoku Kannon Pilgrimage No. 18 Fudasho. The temple name is Chohoji, but it is generally known as the hexagonal hall because the main hall is a flat hexagon. It is also known as the birthplace of flower arrangement and Ikenobo. The founding luck of Chohoji can be seen in the Daigoji books “Moroji Engishu” and “Irohajisho”, as well as in the temple collection “Rokkakudo Chohoji Engi” and the modern publication “Rakuyo Rokkakudo Abbreviation Engi”. According to “Genko Shakusho”, during the construction of Heiankyo, the hexagonal hall was in the middle of the street to be constructed and was about to be demolished, but at that time a black cloud appeared and the hall itself was about 5 heights north ( It is said that it moved (about 15 meters).

As mentioned above, the construction of Rokkakudo is said to be in the Asuka period for auspicious species, but as a result of excavation surveys conducted from 1974 (Showa 49) to the following year, the remains of the Asuka period were not detected, and the actual construction was carried out. Is estimated to be in the latter half of the 10th century. Rokkakudo appears in historical materials from the beginning of the 11th century. Fujiwara no Michinaga’s diary “Mido Kanpakuki” is an early example of the place name “Hexagonal alley” appearing on March 21, 1017. In addition, the name of Rokkakudo can be seen in “Koemon” (Fujiwara no Sanesuke’s diary). In the current collection of “Songs to Make the Dust”, it is said to be “a temple to see the Kannon test”, along with Shimizu, Ishiyama, Hase, etc. From these facts, it can be seen that Rokkakudo was famous as a Kannon sacred place in the latter half of the Heian period.

Honnoji Temple
Honnoji Temple is the main temple of the Hokke-shu main gate, located in Shimohonnojimae-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Known as the strange stage of Honnoji Temple. The current temple has seven temples, Eshoin, Renshoin, Qualitative Institution, Koshunin, Honkouin, Genmeiin, and Ryuunin. He is a shareholder of Honnoji Bunka Kaikan Co., Ltd., and runs the Hotel Honnoji, which is adjacent to Honnoji, and the Honnoji Daihoden Treasure Museum, which is a museum in the precincts. Honoji was originally named “Honoji” and was built by Nichiryu in Oei 22 (1415) between Takatsuji and Gojobomon in Kyoto Yukoji. The temple ground was surrounded by Gojobomon alley in the north, Takatsuji alley in the south, Saitoin Oji in the east, and Aburanokoji in the west.

Nichiryu studied under Myohonji IV, Nippo, but Nichiryu, who insisted on the victory and inferiority of the Lotus Sutra over the interpretation of the Lotus Sutra, confronted Myohonji V, Tsukimei. In the 5th year of Oei (1418), Honoji was destroyed by the moonlight, and Nichiryu moved to Kawachi Mitsui (Honkoji) and Amagasaki (Honkoji). In the first year of Eikyo (1429), he returned to Japan and rebuilt Honoji Temple in the infield (Heian Palace) near Senbon Paradise with the help of Dadanna Kosodeya Sogaku (Yamamoto Sogaku). In the 5th year of Eikyo (1433), the temple was rebuilt with a donation of land to the west of Rokkakuomiya and north of Shijobomon from a person named Danna Nyoi Omaru, and the temple name was changed to “Honnoji”.

After that, Honnoji Temple prospered as a sacred place for the Lotus Sutra, and in the latter half of the Middle Ages it became one of the 21 Rakuchu Lotus Sutra temples and was protected by Ashikaga. The temple area was south of Hexagonal alley, north of Shijobomon alley, east of Kusabaku alley, and west of Omiya Oji, and had a lot of children’s hospitals. After the Onin War, most of the townspeople who contributed to the reconstruction of Kyoto were Hokke-shu monks, and the Hokke-shu religion permeated and was called “the street of the title”, and Honnoji became extremely prosperous. In the 5th year of Astronomy (1536), Enryakuji Temple and monk soldiers burned down all of Dou in the turbulence of Tenbunka, and temporarily evacuated to Kenponji Temple in Sakai.

Mibu-dera is a temple of the main temple of Risshu in Mibu, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto. The principal image is Jizo Bodhisattva, and the founder is the monk Kaiken of Onjoji Temple (Mii-dera). It is also known as a temple that conveys the “Dainenbutsu Kyogen”, which is said to have been founded by Yuzu Nembutsu, who revived the temple in the Middle Ages, and is also known as a temple related to the Shinsengumi. In the olden days, it was called Jizo-in Temple, Hojo Sanmai-ji Temple, and Shinjo Koin Temple.

It is a rare temple of Risshu (the head temple is Toshodaiji Temple in Nara), which is rare in Kyoto. In the 2nd year of the Shoryaku era (991), the Buddhist priest Kaiken of Sonjoji Temple (Mitsui-ji Temple) set the statue of Jizo Bodhisattva as the principal image of the Jizo Bodhisattva for his mother in the land of Gojobomon Mibu (currently east of Mibu Temple). The temple was erected. A memorial service was held in the 2nd year of Kanko (1005), and it is said that it was named Komitsuiji Temple at that time. It is said that Emperor Shirakawa had a pilgrimage during the Joryaku year (1077-1080) and was given the temple name of Jizoin at that time.

In the 3rd year of the Kenryaku calendar (1213), it was moved to the present location by Sohei Hira, who was a believer in the temple. However, in February of the first year of Shoka (1257), a fire burned down all the cathedrals. In the first year of the Shogen era (1259), it was reconstructed by Seihei Hei, a child of Sohei Hira, and a Buddhist priest of Risshu, who was also a Buddhist priest, and the temple name was changed to Hoho Sanmai-ji. It became a temple of. In addition, the temple name gradually came to be called Mibudera from the place name.

The Jizo Bodhisattva Half-Buddhist statue (made in the latter half of the Kamakura period), which is the former principal image of the temple, was called “Imojizo” and “Enmei Jizo” and was worshiped. It was burnt down along with the main hall, the statue of the four heavenly kings, and the golden drum. The current statue of Jizo Bodhisattva was moved from Toshodaiji Temple in the main mountain after the fire, and the main hall was reconstructed in 1967 (Showa 42).

Mikane Shrine
Mikane Shrine is a shrine located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City. It is a shrine decorated in golden colors such as a golden torii gate, and as a shrine related to metal, especially money, wishes for success in asset management and securities trading, wins in horse races and bicycle races, and wins lottery tickets. A large number of ginkgo-shaped votive tablets are dedicated. Originally, we dedicate building molds and molds related to construction such as building design and shipbuilding. “Gold” in gold means metal.

It was built and enshrined in a private mansion as a mansion shrine with Kanayamahiko Komei as the deity, but there were many people who wished to worship because it was a deity related to metal. Therefore, it moved to the present location on October 6, 1883 (Meiji 16), and the shrine was erected. If you go to the east from here, you will find “Kanza-dori” where many foundry craftsmen have gathered since the Heian period, and if you go further east, you will find “Kinza” and “Ginza” established by Ieyasu Tokugawa in the Edo period. There was a “Kinzacho-dori” where many gold and silver craftsmen from all over the country lived, who was responsible for the gold coin casting of the Edo Shogunate, so there were many worshipers. Eventually, metal turned into a shrine that was tied to money.

Takenobu Inari Shrine
Takenobu Inari Shrine is a shrine located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrine is a village shrine. It is said that there are benefits to winning, naming, and naming. It was founded by Yoshimi Fujiwara in February 859 (the first year of Jōgan). At that time, there were Fujiwara’s school, Enmei-in, in the western part of the precincts, and Enmei-in, a medical facility in the western part, and the shrine was enshrined as its guardian shrine. Later, when the times went down, a person named Takenobu Fujiwara came to be called Takenobu-Inari because he believed in our company. Became the residence of Aoyama Harima Mamoru during the Kanei era. A ritual at the present location during the Genroku era. It became a village shrine in 1877 (Meiji 6). October 9, 1922 (Taisho 11) Request for renovation of Shinenchi. When the Tamagaki was newly built, a “Kamien” was set up inside it. The precincts were renovated in 2011.

In the precincts, there is a large tree of Enoki that is said to have been transplanted by Taira no Shigemori from Itsukushima Shrine, and it is designated as a natural monument of Kyoto City as a large tree over 850 years old. At the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, there was a hexagonal prison in front of the shrine, and many priests were captured. It is said that Oryo, who later became Ryoma Sakamoto’s wife, climbed a tree with Ryoma to see the safety of his father, Masasaku Narasaki, who was captured in the hexagonal prison in Ansei Purge. In addition, Ryoma, who was being chased by the shogunate, carved a message on a tree to indicate that he was in Kyoto, and left a message, and it is said that the two were able to meet again based on that message. It is said to be a “marriage tree” because it has a relationship with Ryoma.

Nishiki Tenmangu Shrine
Nishiki Tenmangu is a shrine located in Shinkyogoku, Nishikikoji-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto. Enshrines Tenjin Tenjin (Sugawara no Michizane). Located at the eastern end of Nishiki Market, known as the kitchen of Kyoto, it is touted as a profit for business prosperity in addition to academics. In the 5th year of Choho (1003), the former residence of Sugawara no Koreyoshi, the father of Sugawara no Michizane, was relocated to the site of the former residence of Minamoto no Toru, Rojo Kawarain, and Tenman Tenjin was established as the guardian shrine. It started even though it was built as a worshiped Tenmangu shrine (Sugawara-in Tenmangu Shrine is built on the ground of Sugawara-in).

In the first year of Shoan (1299), Zendoji Temple, the main temple of the Ji-shu Rojo school, was relocated to this area, and the original Kanki-ji Temple was merged and renamed Rokujo Dojo and Kankiko-ji Temple. At that time, Tenmangu was used as a guardian shrine. After the Onin War, both the temple and the palace moved to Takatsuji Karasuma (currently Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City), but in 1587, due to Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s city planning, Nishikikoji and the eastern end of Nishikikoji Temple (currently Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City). Moved to the current location of Shinkyogoku-dori Shijo. As a result, it came to be called “Nishiki Tenmangu” from the location name.

The torii gate between Teramachi and Shinkyogoku on Nishikikoji-dori was built in 1935 (Showa 10), but there was a design mistake after that (only the position of the pillars without considering both ends of the upper part of the torii gate). Since the buildings were built on both sides based on the division (the road width was decided in), a part of the building is sunk into the building. From the approach, you can see the tip of the building through the window of the building. There is a “Karakuri Mikuji” in front of the office. When a person approaches, the kagura sounds and the mechanical lion dance begins. When you insert coins and select the type of lion dance (English, Japanese-English translation, children’s, etc.), the lion dances to deliver the lion dance to the kagura. Has become popular.

Yagi House
The Yagi House is the residence of the Yagi family, a villager in Mibu, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, and was used as a Shinsengumi troupe at the end of the Edo period. While it is still inherited by the descendants of Gennosuke Yagi as of 2018, it is open to the public as a historic building. There are remains related to the Shinsengumi, such as the sword wound that was said to have been made when Serizawa Kamo was assassinated.

The founder of the Yagi family is Matabei Yagi. Mibu village scholar. A child of Yoshikage Asakura, a warring lord of Echizen. The Yagi family’s website states that “it was caused by Yasutaka Yagi in Tajima.” It is said that Minamoto no Yoritomo worshiped the current family crest (Miki Gourd). Suppose that he moved to Mibu in Kyoto during the Muromachi period. The land of Mibu, where the Yagi residence is located, is a land with abundant water and suitable for agriculture, and was one of the leading agricultural areas in Kyoto. Yagi House was built in a small place. At the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, it became a lodging facility for Ronin Edo.

Catholic Diocese of Kyoto
The Catholic Diocese of Kyoto is a diocese of the Christian Catholic Church, which has jurisdiction over Kyoto, Shiga, Nara, and Mie prefectures. The Bishop’s Cathedral is St. Francis de Xavier Cathedral (Catholic Kawaramachi Church).

Kyoto Orthodox Church
The Kyoto Orthodox Church is an Orthodox Church (Greek Orthodox Church) and Japanese Orthodox Church in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The Orthodox Church in Kyoto, the Evangelical Basilica of the Goddess of God, is the cathedral of the Diocese of West Japan, and is the oldest existing church and synagogue of the Orthodox Church in Japan based on the design chart approved by the Russian Religious Affairs Bureau. Is.

The history of Orthodox evangelism in Kyoto begins in the 1880s. In the early days of evangelism, the catechist Pawael Nakoji and the catechist Kirill Sasaba Masakichi were under the temporary jurisdiction of Ioan Ono Sogoro, the priest of the Osaka Orthodox Church. A lecture hall will be set up in 1889 (Meiji 22). Hieromonk (at the time of the title) Sergiy Stragorodskiy, who later became the Patriarch of Moscow, pastored the Kyoto Orthodox Church from 1890 (Meiji 23) to 1893 (Meiji 26). The Kyoto Orthodox Girls’ School was initially established, but it does not exist.

In 1906 (Meiji 39), Andronik Nikoliskii, who became the first bishop of Kyoto as a lieutenant of the Equal-to-Apostle Archbishop St. Nicholas, arrived, but returned to Japan due to illness three months after his tenure. After returning to Japan, Andronik was buried alive and shot dead by the Bolshevik administration, and was later canonized as a deadly person. For this reason, Andronik is revered in the Orthodox Church in Japan as “the first Bishop of Kyoto, Andronik,” in addition to the title of “Perm’s Hieromartyr, Andronik.” It is the Bishop’s Church of “Kyoto Bishop”, but at present, the Bishop of Kyoto is also the Primate of the Orthodox Church in Japan, “The Great Bishop of Tokyo, the Metropolitan Bishop of All Japan”, and Ikuo Daniel, the Bishop of Japan. As of September (2008), no bishop is resident in the Kyoto Church.

Cultural tradition

Kyoto International Manga Museum
The Kyoto International Manga Museum is Japan’s largest manga museum located on the site of the former Tatsuike Elementary School in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City. It opened on November 25, 2006 as Japan’s first comprehensive manga museum that collects valuable materials related to domestic and foreign manga. It holds about 300,000 items (as of 2011), including valuable historical materials such as magazines from the Meiji era and postwar book rentals, popular contemporary works, and masterpieces from around the world.

It was developed as a joint project by Kyoto Seika University, which has a faculty of manga, and Kyoto City, which provided the land and buildings. Currently, it is managed and operated by the university under the steering committee organized by the city and the university. There is. Four researchers majoring in the history of modern thought and art history belong to this group and are engaged in the study of manga culture. The facility is used by remodeling (partially expanding) the former Tatsuike Elementary School, which was closed down. The former main building, auditorium, north school building, main gate and wall of Tatsuike Elementary School were registered as a national tangible cultural property on July 23, 2008.

It consists of a gallery zone, research zone, material storage zone, and community convenience facilities that are open to the public. It has a permanent exhibition, a special exhibition, a Tatsuike history memorial room, a museum shop, and a coffee shop. The face of the museum is the “Manga Book Wall” where 50,000 books are lined up on a bookshelf with a total length of 200 meters. You can also take your manga out to the lawn outdoors and read it. Once you buy a ticket, you can re-enter as many times as you like during the day. In addition to materials in Japan, local versions of Japanese manga from around the world and manga from countries other than Japan are stored in the library in more than 30,000 volumes, and about 5,600 volumes are installed in the open shelves. The Japanese Research Center of Monash University in Australia and Leipzig University in Germany are cooperating in collecting them.

Kyoto City Heiankyo Soseikan
The Heiankyo Soseikan in Kyoto City is a museum facility located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, and is located on the 1st floor of the Kyoto City Lifelong Learning Center (Kyoto Asney). It opened on October 6, 2006 (Heisei 18). When it was opened in April 2005, it was called the “Heiankyo History Zone”, and the contents of several exhibits, including the Heiankyo restoration model, have been significantly renewed. In addition to the contents of the conventional exhibition, a large number of excavated items are exhibited, as well as a new commentary by panel display.

There is a former Heian Palace brewery warehouse on the site, and the remains of the holes in the pillars are left tiled. This site was designated as a historic site by the city of Kyoto in 1997. It reopened as the Heiankyo Soseikan in Kyoto City on November 1, 2009 to commemorate Classics Day.

Museum of Kyoto
The Museum of Kyoto is a museum located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, and was founded as a commemorative project for the 1200th anniversary of the founding of Heian, with the aim of introducing the history and culture of Kyoto. The building is constructed by Kyoto Prefecture and operated by the Kyoto Cultural Foundation. Opened on October 1, 1988 (Showa 63). The official name is “Kyoto Prefectural Museum of Kyoto”.

Its predecessor was the Heian Museum, a private museum built in 1968 (Showa 43) as a facility of the Paleological Association of Japan. The building of the Heian Museum was the former Bank of Japan Kyoto Branch (Important Cultural Property), but it was donated to Kyoto Prefecture by the Paleological Association of Japan when the Museum of Kyoto was founded. The building of the former Bank of Japan Kyoto Branch is currently used as an annex to the Museum of Kyoto. A new building with 7 floors above ground and 1 floor below ground is newly built on the north side of the annex, and this is used as the main building of the Museum of Kyoto.

Along with the establishment of the Museum of Kyoto, the management of museum materials held by the Kyoto Institute of Library and Archives (currently the Kyoto Institute of Library and Archives) is outsourced to the Kyoto Institute of Culture (the operating organization of the Museum of Kyoto). Was done. These materials may be displayed as “Kyoto Prefectural Collection / Museum of Kyoto Management”. It is one of the “Kyoto Museums for” consisting of four national and public museums and art galleries in Kyoto city.

Shimadzu Founding Memorial Museum
The Shimadzu Foundation Memorial Museum is a museum located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Shimadzu Corporation opened it in 1975 in memory of the founder, Genzo Shimadzu, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of its founding. It consists of the South Building (constructed in 1888) and the North Building (constructed in 1894), and the building that was used as the residence and research institute of Shimazu in the early days of its founding is preserved and opened to the public. Both the South Building and the North Building are nationally registered tangible cultural properties (registered in December 1999). In addition to the document and instrument exhibition, there is also a panel exhibition related to Nobel laureate Koichi Tanaka.

Kyoto Art Center
The Kyoto Art Center is a base facility for art promotion in the center of Kyoto City. After the Meiji Elementary School, which was built by the power of the townspeople of Kyoto in the Meiji era, was closed down, an art space was created using the site and school building. There are production room, gallery, auditorium, hall, free space, library, information corner, tea room, cafe (Maeda Coffee Meirin store), lounge, shop, etc. Reinforced concrete construction 3 floors (some 4 floors).

It is managed and operated by the Kyoto Arts and Culture Foundation as a designated manager, and supports art activities, collects and disseminates information on art, implements the “Artist in Residence Program”, promotes exchanges between artists and citizens, etc. It is carried out. The director is Akira Tatehata (President of Tama Art University).

Dyeing / Seiryukan
The Dyeing and Seiryukan is a dyeing museum located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, with the theme of dyeing. This museum exhibits dyeing art such as wax dyeing and tie-dyeing, and is the world’s first specialized museum focusing on dyeing. Daimatsu Co., Ltd. (Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto), which plans, manufactures, and sells kimono, opened in Kyoto in 2006 with the aim of “disseminating Japanese dyeing art to the world.” The collection contains about 500 works by 100 artists based in “Kyoto, the city of dyeing,” and exhibits works by various dyeing artists, from masters to new artists. In 1991, the “1st Dyeing / Clear Stream Exhibition / Kyoto City Museum of Art” was held with the support of NHK Kyoto Broadcasting Station, Kyoto Shimbun, and Kyoto Chuo Shinkin Bank. Since then, it has been held in Tokyo (Meguro Museum of Art) (sponsored by Mainichi Newspapers), and is currently celebrating 16 times.

Located on the 6th floor of a building located north of the Kyoto Art Center. The entrance of the museum is decorated with calm colors to create a sense of luxury, and the interior is covered with tatami mats of about 150 tatami mats, so you can take off your shoes and relax and appreciate the work. Dyeed products that make full use of various techniques are lined up in the works, and works that remind us of contemporary art in geometric patterns are also exhibited.

Pontocho is located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, and is a flower district and entertainment district between the Kamo River and Kiyamachi Dori. Although it is labeled “town”, there is no Pontocho as a place name. Pontocho-dori is also used in official documents (Shijo-dori district district planning: Kyoto City City Planning Bureau) such as “Kashiwaya-cho, which goes up to Pontocho-dori Shijo.” Originally in the state of Kamogawa, it was reclaimed by revetment work in the 10th year of Kanbun (1670) in the early Edo period, and was called Shinkawaramachi Dori.

It is said that the first water teahouse was built in this area around the second year of Shotoku (1712), and at the beginning, the boatman of the Takasebune boat going up and down the Takase River and the Hatagoya for passengers had tea ceremony women. In the 6th year of Ansei (1859), the license of the geisha bride business was granted, and in 1872, the Kamogawa Odori was premiered, and Ponto-cho opened the flowers as a flower district. The dance school was the Shinozuka school before the Meiji era, then the Wakayanagi school, and now it is the upstream.

It is a narrow cobbled street that runs north-south between Kamogawa and Kiyamachi-dori from Sanjo-dori Ichisuji-dori to Shijo-dori. In addition to the commercial form peculiar to Hanamachi, there are also general restaurants. The shops on the east side of the street face the Kamogawa River, and many restaurants have a cool floor. Pontocho Kaburenjo is located near the northern end and has a large appearance on the Kamogawa River.

Nishiki Market
Nishiki Market is a food sales center located between “Teramachi-dori and Takakura-dori” on Nishikikoji-dori, which is located in the center of Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto. A market where long-established stores and specialty stores that sell fresh foods such as fish and Kyoto vegetables, as well as processed foods such as dried foods, pickles, and obanzai (daily side dishes in Kyoto dialect) are gathered. Ingredients unique to Kyoto are almost available here. According to the Small and Medium Business Administration, it is considered to be an ultra-wide area shopping district as a type of shopping district. In May 2006, it was selected as one of the “77 Best Shopping Districts” under the name of Kyoto Nishiki Market Shopping District. The market started in the Heian period, when shops that used abundant groundwater to deliver fresh fish to the Kyoto Imperial Palace began to gather, and it has a history of about 1300 years. Nicknamed “Nishiki” by the citizens of Kyoto, it is crowded with local shoppers as “Kyoto’s kitchen”.

In recent years, along with Shinkyogoku Shopping Street and Teramachi Kyogoku Shopping Street, it has become a lively tourist attraction visited by tourists and school excursion students. In the Showa period, it faced a crisis of survival due to the opening of a central wholesale market, the depletion of groundwater, and the entry of major supermarkets. Until now, while trying to shift from wholesale to retail. Unlike supermarkets and department stores, the main feature here is that the quality of fresh seasonal ingredients and the wide selection of products are supported, and that they are closely linked to the lives of citizens.

For this reason, some stores set the price higher, but many citizens are convinced that they are dealing with “honmamon” because of their high quality and abundance. The number of stores claiming to be “Nishiki Market” has increased in other regions, and in order to maintain quality, it has acquired the trademark registration of “Nishiki Market” for the first time in a shopping district in Kyoto Prefecture. On the other hand, some department stores have temporarily set up a food corner named “Nishiki”.

Oe Noh Theater
Oe Noh Theater is a Noh theater located in Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It was founded in 1908 (Meiji 41) by Matasaburo Oe (Takeyuki Oe), the fifth generation of the Kanze school. It was forcibly demolished at the end of the Pacific War, but at the end of the war the stage and highlights barely remained. It was renovated in 2001 (Heisei 13) and is still performing as a wooden Noh theater with a capacity of 400 people.

Jidai Matsuri
Jidai Matsuri is an annual event attached to the annual festival of Heian Jingu (October 22nd). One of the three major festivals in Kyoto that began in the Meiji era to celebrate the founding of Jingu and the transfer of capital to Heian. The annual festival of Heian Jingu is to commemorate the transfer of capital to Heiankyo by Emperor Kanmu. To do. When returning to Heian Jingu on the afternoon of that day, the customs procession that leads the way back to these portable shrines is called Jidai Matsuri. Although it has a shorter history than the Aoi Matsuri and Gion Matsuri festivals, it is a festival that can only be held in Kyoto, which was the capital of each era from the Heian period to the end of the Edo period, and is a festival for the residents, mainly the people of Kyoto.

After the Heian Jingu was built in 1895 (Meiji 28), the Heian Kosha was established as a civic organization for the management and preservation of the Jingu, and the “festival” was started as a commemorative project. In order to make the festival grand, a procession that traces the customs of Kyoto before the capital to Tokyo was proposed, and it came to be called “Jidai Matsuri”. The first time was held on October 25th of the same year as a worship at the newly built Heian Shrine, and from the next time onward, the two pillars of the gods, Emperor Kanmu and Emperor Komei, were the residences. While watching the prosperity of the city, follow the procession and go to the Jingu. ” The date was also the day when Emperor Kanmu moved from Nagaokakyo to a new city, that is, October 22, which can be said to be Kyoto’s birthday. The festival itself will be held from October 15th (appointment of the role of the procession) to the later festival on the 23rd.

Go down Kamogawa
Kamogawa Odori is a dance performance performed at Pontocho Kaburenjo from May 1st to 24th. Famous for having the most performances in the Kagai of Kyoto. In 1872 (Meiji 5), it was performed with Miyako Odori as a sideshow of the exposition, and since then it has been performed many times. Although it was interrupted in World War II, it was resumed immediately, and it was performed in two performances, spring and autumn, and continued until 1998. Kamogawa Odori is a two-part dance show with the appearance of Maiko and others, with the first part being a dance drama and the second part being a dance show that delights people’s eyes (until 1950). It was performed in a total dance format, just like Odori.)

Western music was used for the Kamogawa Odori in the early Showa period, and a girl review was also performed, leading to the fascination of foreign celebrities such as Jean Cocteau and Chaplin.

Kyoto Yuzen
Kyo Yuzen is one of the traditional crafts of Kyoto, and the traditional dyeing technique was completed by the fan painter Miyazaki Yuzen. The cloth was exposed in the flow of the Kamo River to give it bright colors, but recently it has moved to the suburbs. It is also simply called “Yuzen dyeing”. In the case of full-scale hand-painted Yuzen, it takes a lot of time and effort to complete 26 steps, so stencil dyeing and printing are currently the mainstream.