The Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona (Catalan: Museu de les Ciències Naturals de Barcelona) is a collection of natural science museums located in various areas of the city: the Blau Museum, located in the Forum building, the Botanic Garden of Barcelona and the Historic Botanical Garden, located in Montjuïc, And the Martorell Museum and the Nature Laboratory (Three Dragons Castle), located in the Ciutadella Park
The Museum of Natural Sciences, is a set of natural science museums located in various areas of the city: the Museum Blau, located in the Forum Building, Barcelona Botanical Garden and the Historical Botanical Garden, located in Montjuïc, and the Martorell Museum and the Laboratory of Nature (Castle of the Three Dragons), located in the Parc de la Ciutadella.
Several collections of the Ciutadella Park moved to the Blue Museum, which opened on March 27, 2011 and is the embryo of the future National Museum of Natural Sciences of Catalonia, which has to coordinate the network of museums Of natural sciences of Catalonia
The Martorell Museum, inaugurated in 1882, was the birthplace of the municipal museums of zoology, geology and botany and the origin of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona. It was created thanks to the legacy of Francesc Martorell i Peña (1822-1878) , Consisting of his collections of natural sciences and archeology, his library and economic resources to build the museum
The Museum was part of a project to make the Ciutadella Park a space dedicated to natural sciences, driven first by the City Council of Barcelona and later by the Mancomunitat de Catalunya. In 1906, the City Council created the Municipal Board Of Natural Sciences (incorporating the Diputación in 1917 and the Federation in 1920) that managed the park centers: the Martorell Museum, the Zoological, the Zootechnical Museum, the Greenhouse and the Umbracle The Board, led by Josep Maluquer And Nicolau, converted the Castle of the Three Dragons building into the Museum of Natural Sciences, called the Catalunya Museum as of 1917
Until the 1920s, the Museum of Natural Sciences, made up of the Martorell Museum and the Museu Catalunya, was probably the most important Catalan public institution in the field of natural sciences. In 1935 the Department of Botany separated, From the Museum of Natural Sciences giving way to the Botanical Institute of Barcelona located in Montjuïc and promoted by Pius Font i Quer, which also created a Botanical Garden, now called the Historic Botanical Garden, at the Montixú Foixela Basements. The works for the Olympic Games in Montjuïc, the City Council built the new Botanical Garden of Barcelona opened in 1999
In 2010, the transfer of several collections of the Ciutadella Park to the Forum building was located in the Forum park, which later became known as the Blau Museum. On November 23, 2010, the Creation of the Consortium of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona, made up of the Generalitat of Catalonia and the City Council of Barcelona
The Blue Museum opened its doors on March 27, 2011 On the day of the inauguration, it was visited by 6300 visitors. In the new space, you can learn the “Planet life” thoroughly, the permanent exhibition of the MNCNC focused on the theory of ” Evolution Gaia formulated by biologist James Lovelock The visitor can explore the land in its beginnings and during its evolution and the current state The “laboratories of life” live with the fossils preserved by the various informational centers
In November 2011, Culture Counselor Ferran Mascarell and Deputy Mayor of Culture of the Barcelona City Council, Jaume Ciurana, signed an agreement stating that from 2014 the Generalitat de Catalunya will be incorporated into the Project of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona, with the aim of turning it into a national museum of natural sciences
The Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona is housed in different buildings located in three strategic areas of the city: Ciutadella Park, Montjuïc Park and the Forum Park.
Nature Laboratory: The scientific building of the Castle of the Three Dragons: The former Zoology Museum is currently a space for research, study and conservation of collections of the museum. The documentation center, a specialized library and the library are being created. Space will also lead to a sound library, Sonora Nature
Martorell Museum: Historic headquarters Will host a permanent exhibition in the future A not so natural story: Publics and natural sciences, from cabinets to museums It will be a space for reflection to review and review the history of the scientific culture in the city There is also a space for representation of the Parc de la Ciutadella
Botanic Garden of Barcelona: Botanical headquarters and activities and public exhibitions Reference center for the conservation of Mediterranean flora Collection of living plants and seeds The various gardens recreate natural ecosystems of areas of the world with Mediterranean climate
Museu Blau: Headquarters of the Public Programs of the Museum Reference exhibition Planet life, a journey through the history of life and evolution It hosts temporary exhibitions, a meeting room, classrooms, a space for children aged 0-6 ( Science nest), workshops and a media library
The first of these sites is home to the Museu Martorell (Martorell Museum) and the Laboratori de Natura (Nature Laboratory) in the building known as Castell dels Tres Dragons, while Montjuïc is home to the Jardí Botànic (Botanical Garden) and the Jardí Botànic Històric (Historic Botanical Garden). The Museu Blau (Blau Museum) is situated in the Forum Park, and houses the new facilities that are used mainly for public programmes: exhibitions, workshops, conferences, media resource centre, etc.
Several collections of Ciutadella Park moved to the Museum Blau, which opened on 27 March 2011 and is the embryo of the future National Museum of Natural Sciences of Catalonia has coordinate the network of natural science museums of Catalonia.