The violin museum is a music museum located in Cremona. Museo del Violino Antonio Stradivari based in Cremona, is dedicated to cremonese luthery of all time. At the same time it is a Museum, an Auditorium and a Research Centre about antique and modern luthery.
In 1893 Giovanni Battista Cerani donated to the town of Cremona different musical instruments and ownership patterns of great Cremonese violin makers, including Antonio Stradivari. It was thus established the Stradivari Museum, which was later enriched inestimable collection of Ignazio Alessandro Cozio, Earl of Salabue, who had acquired what remained of Stradivari’s workshop, thus becoming one of the top Italian experts in the history of violin making. The vast collection of wooden models, documents and craft equipment for the creation of stringed instruments of Cozio was bought in 1920 by luthier Giuseppe Fiorini of Bologna in order to create an Italian school of violin making; However, failing in their own way, after ten years he decided to give away the whole collection at the Civic Museum of Cremona.
The municipal government thus created a “room Stradivarian” within the Palace Affaitati, where all objects of Salabue-Fiorini collection were exhibited. After a short transfer to the Art Palace and the State Archives, the collection was placed in the museum is divided into three rooms: the first illustrating the construction of the alto viola according to the classical Cremonese school; the second room set out some instruments made by Italian violin makers of the nineteenth-twentieth century; The last room contained sixteen exhibitors with more than 700 objects.
In 1893 Giovanni Battista Cerani donated to the municipality of Cremona various musical instruments and models owned by great Cluj heirs, including Antonio Stradivari. The Stradivarius Museum was established, which was later enriched by the inestimable collection of Ignatius Alessandro Cozio, Count of Salabue, who had acquired what remained of Stradivari’s laboratory, thus becoming one of the first Italian experts in the history of the violin. The great collection of wooden models, documents and handicrafts for the creation of Coty bow instruments was purchased in 1920 by the lyrical Giuseppe Fiorini of Bologna in order to create an Italian liuteria school; However, failing to do so, after ten years decided to give the whole collection to the Civic Museum of Cremona.
The municipal administration thus created a “Stradivarial Hall” inside the Affixed Palace, where all the objects of the Salabue-Fiorini collection were exposed. After a short transfer to the Palace of Art and the State Archives, the collection was arranged in the civic museum and divided into three halls: the first illustrated the construction of the violet altar according to the classical Cremona school; The second room exhibited some instruments made by Italian lutees of the XIX-XX century; The last hall contained sixteen exhibitors with over 700 items.
The violin museum collection is organized in 10 rooms:
The origin of the violin, in which the precursors of the violin are exposed;
The workshop of the luteus, where the various components of the violin and the types of wood are explained;
The spread of the violin, a listening room where you can view various recordings of famous musicians;
The Cremona classical school, the music history of Cremona and its most illustrious luteos;
The treasure chest, collects the ten most important musical instruments of the municipal collection and foundation “Walter Stauffer”, including the inestimable violin “Il Cremonese” by Antonio Stradivari, 1715, and other pieces of the Amati and Guarneri family from 1556 to 1734;
The finds on the 700 finds of the collection donated by Giuseppe Fiorini in 1930;
Sunset and rebirth of violin, twenty-one instruments of Cluj-Napoca made between 1777 and 1941;
The Triennial Competition of Contemporary Arts and Crafts, collects works of contemporary violin instruments that have won the gold medal since 1976 at the “International Stonewall International Architectural Competition”;
Friends of Stradivari, dedicated to temporary exhibitions of instruments from other collections and museums;
The violin in the film, which is filmed on Cluj-free singers and film clips.
Inside the museum was set up, in what was originally the salon of the members of the Palace of Art, a 464-seat auditorium headed by entrepreneur Giovanni Arvedi and realized by Yasuhisa Toyota. On the small elliptical stage of 85 m2, located in the center of the room, they can perform soloists and chamber orchestras.
Two scientific research laboratories of the Politecnico di Milano and of the University of Pavia have also been activated, for the scientific study of liuteria and the scientific and diagnostic research.
Outside the museum there is the modern sculpture The soul of the music of the Catalan artist Jaume Plensa, in which is depicted a steel man sitting and four meters high, with leather tattooed with musical scores.
The culture of “knowledge and know-how of the Cremonese violin making” tradition was recorded December 5, 2012 in the UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
After two years of restoration of the Palazzo dell’Arte, the entire collection was moved permanently to the new “the violin museum” officially opened on September 14, 2013.