The Lithuanian Art Museum (Lithuanian: Lietuvos dailės muziejus) was initially established in Vilnius in 1933 as the Vilnius City Museum. It houses Lithuania’s largest art collection.
Lithuanian Art Museum – Lithuanian National Museum of Fine Arts in Vilnius. Since 1941 Vilnius State Art Museum, since 1966 – LSSR State Museum of Fine Arts, since 1990 – Lithuanian Art Museum. The founder is the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania. Since 1995 Member of the International Council of Museums (ICOM).
The museum was founded in 1941. 1933 Founded by the Vilnius City Museum. Lithuania regained Vilnius in 1940 July 28 On the initiative of A. Valeškos, appointed by the director, the collections of the Vilnius City Museum were transferred from the sunken Oginskiai palace to the City Hall, which was handed over to the museum by order of the Vilnius burmist. The funds consisted of works, inherited from the museum, the Lithuanian scientific societies, purchased from the nationalized manor houses, collections of institutions, purchased from private individuals. 1941 March 30 The Vilnius City Museum was named the Vilnius State Museum of Fine Arts. His exposition was invited by visitors in 1941. April 13 During the Second World War, part of the exhibits were exported, destroyed or damaged. The scientific foundations of the Museum Museum of the Lithuanian Art Museum and the first status of the museum were formulated and consolidated between 1944 and 1949, when the museum was headed by Professor Levas Karsavinas. 1967 Beside the former central building of the Lithuanian Art Museum (Vilnius Town Hall, where the Artists’ House now operates), the Art Exhibitions Palace was erected. Contemporary Art Center.
Lithuanian Art Museum is a public institution granted the national museum status by the Government of Lithuania in 1997. Originally founded in 1933, the museum is one of the oldest and leading institutions of its kind in the country, the member of ICOM. It is distinguished for its rich Fine Arts collection that totals to about 230 thousand exhibit items which represent Old and Contemporary Master Paintings, Sculpture Prints and Drawings, Applied and Folk Art as well rare amber stone and jewellery specimens and other museum objects. Geographically the museum covers nearly all the territory of the Republic of Lithuania through the network of its branch museums, including Vilnius Picture Gallery, the Museum of Applied Arts, Museum of the Radvilas Palace, the National Art Gallery that are located in the country’s capital city Vilnius, as well the Clock Museum and Pranas Domšaitis Gallery in Klaipėda city, the Palanga Amber Museum in Palanga and the Museum of Miniature Arts in Juodkrantė, the popular coastal resort towns. In addition, the Lithuanian Art Museum is a renown centre for preservation works carried out by its Pranas Gudynas Restoration Centre.
The collections at the museum include about 2,500 paintings dated from the 16th to the 19th Century; these consist mostly of portraits of nobility and clergy of the Lithuanian Grand Duchy from the 16th to the 18th centuries, and religious works from Lithuanian churches and cloisters. Over 8,000 drawings by Italian, German, French, Flemish, Dutch, Polish, English, and Japanese artists from the 15th to the 20th century are represented.
The first half of the 20th century has an extensive presence, with over 12,000 works. The collection from the second half of the 20th century features more than 21,000 exhibits. Sculpture collections span the 14th through 20th centuries, with works from a number of European countries. Other notable collections include works done in watercolor and pastel, and photography.
The Lithuanian Art Museum collects, protects, investigates and restores works, organizes exhibitions, conferences, conducts educational programs, publishes catalogs and publications on art. The funds represent more than 204,600 works (2007): the 14th century. – XX century Collections of applied and applied collections of art and collections of Lithuanian ethnography and archeology from the second half of Lithuania and foreign countries.
Vilnius Picture Gallery, founded in 1956, functioned in the Vilnius Cathedral; Since 1994 Works in Chodkevičiai Palace
Prano Gudynas Restoration Center, founded in 1979; Since 1946 There was a restoration workshop
Applied Art and Design Museum, established in 1987 Reconstructed in the Old Arsenal Palace of the Lower Castle of Vilnius
National Art Gallery, 1993-1999 And since 2009 Works in the building of the former LSSR Revolution Museum
Radvila Palace Museum, since 1996 Acting at J. Radvila’s Palace;
Vytautas Kasiulis Art Museum, founded in 2010
Palanga Amber Museum, established in 1963 Tyszkiewicz Palace
Klaipėda Picture Gallery, founded in 1970, since 2004 Prano Domšaičio Gallery
Klaipeda Clock Museum, founded in 1984
Thumbnail Museum, 1982-2006 Juodkrante Exhibition Hall
Center for the Information, Digitization and Lime Museum of Lithuania