Lavaux-Oron District, Canton of Vaud, Switzerland

The district of Lavaux-Oron, of which Bourg-en-Lavaux is the capital, is one of the ten districts of the canton of Vaud. Lavaux-Oron has an area, as of 2009, of 134.54 square kilometers (51.95 sq mi). Of this area, 79.92 km2 (30.86 sq mi) or 59.4% is used for agricultural purposes, while 31.55 km2 (12.18 sq mi) or 23.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 21.94 km2 (8.47 sq mi) or 16.3% is settled (buildings or roads) and 1.19 km2 (0.46 sq mi) or 0.9% is unproductive land.

It is one of the new districts created during the cantonal reorganization of the 1 st January 2008. It is made up of all the municipalities of the former district of Lavaux, plus those of the former district of Oron with the exception of Carrouge, Corcelles-le-Jorat, Ropraz and Vulliens which are attached to the district of Broye -Vully and Peney-le-Jorat attached to the Gros-de-Vaud district. Finally, it includes the municipalities of Belmont-sur-Lausanne, Paudex and Pully which have been withdrawn from the district of Lausanne. The 1 st July 2011 the municipalities ofCully, Épesses, Grandvaux, Riex and Villette merge to form the commune of Bourg-en-Lavaux.

The 1 st January 2012, the municipalities of Bussigny-sur-Oron, Châtillens, Chesalles-sur-Oron, Ecoteaux, Les Tavernes, Les Thioleyres, Oron-le-Châtel, Oron-la-Ville, Palézieux and Vuibroye merge to form the new town of Oron. The same day, the commune of Cullayes was integrated into that of Servion.

UNESCO-Listed Vineyard
Take a walk through some of the most beautiful scenery in Switzerland: the UNESCO-listed Lavaux vineyard terraces are criss-crossed with marked trails with stunning views over Lake Geneva and the Alps. Little trains on wheels help you up the incline so you can enjoy a walk at your own pace. Carefully cultivating their vines for generation upon generation, whole families of vine-growers have shaped these beautiful vineyard terraces. The unique beauty of this landscape has seeped into the soul of visitors just as it has fascinated the many artists who lived in the little picturesque villages.

The land of Lavaux, cultivated for more than a millennium for wine purposes, guardian of history and heritage, is full of wealth. About seventy winegrowers and wine cellar winemakers share some 270 ha of vines planted in terraces, from the upper part of the town to the shores of Lake Geneva. The topography of the site and the microclimate are an additional asset for producing complimentary wines, specifically Chasselas Blanc. The fewer reds come from various grape varieties: Pinot Noir, Gamay, Gamaret, Garanoir and Plan-Robert. Their quality and diversity constitute a local trademark.

Now considered a site of universal value, Lavaux has been elevated to the status of world heritage site by UNESCO, its mosaic of vines welcoming many walkers seeking renewed vitality and tranquillity.

All along the educational trail from Lausanne to Montreux, Lavaux vine-growers invite visitors to explore the exceptional and authentic beauty of their vineyards, whatever the season. Wine tourism breaks offer wine tastings and the chance to sample typical products in the vineyard wine cellars, the ideal complement to walks through the vines.

The walk takes you from Grandvaux to Cully and lasts about two hours and a half. You’ll enjoy a stunning panorama over the vineyards and the lake.

When you leave the train (departing from Lausanne), take the subway under the tracks. At the top of the stairs, continue straight on along the platform. After fifty or so paces, take the flight of steps down to the left. You will soon cross a road (be careful, visibility is reduced, use the mirror) and continue going straight down the Rite-à-Joyeux.

Riex is located between Cully and Epesses. It is a small village in the vineyards with its traditional charm and a beautiful view of the Lavaux and the mountains.

Belmont-sur-Lausanne is a Swiss municipality in the canton of Vaud, located in the district of Lavaux-Oron, east of Lausanne and north of Pully. The commune of Belmont was an integral part of the commune of Pully until the split. Belmont takes its name from “beautiful mountain”. The Belmont post office is now provided by the Belmont Pharmacy.

Bourg-en-Lavaux is a Swiss municipality in the canton of Vaud. It is the capital of the Lavaux-Oron district. Bourg-en-Lavaux participates in the regional influence of a site, Lavaux, registered in 2007 in World Heritage of UNESCO. The commune of Bourg-en-Lavaux was born on 1 st July 2011of the merger of the municipalities of Cully, Épesses, Grandvaux, Riex, and Villette decided upon during the popular vote ofMay 17, 2009. A first attempt in 2005 had failed, the inhabitants of Grandvaux having refused the merger.

Chexbres was until the beginning of xx th century, mainly an agricultural village. Even today, the vineyards on the sunny slopes of Lavaux cover around 25 hectares, and livestock and agriculture in the highlands play some role in the employment of the population. However, more jobs are available in small local businesses and especially in the service sector. The Chexbres trade is mainly oriented towards everyday consumer goods, the wine trade (Saint-Saphorin appellation) and tourism. Chexbres also has a heated swimming pool. In recent decades, construction has developed to make Chexbres a residential community. Many inhabitants are “commuters” who work mainly in Lausanne and in the Vevey-Montreux region. The La Colline and Claire Magnin foundations are medico-social establishments for the elderly.

Essertes, In 1162, Count Amédée I of Geneva gave to the Abbey of Haut-Crêt everything he had in Essertes. From then on, Essertes is part of the Haut-Crêt property. Around the convent barn, houses were built and gradually formed a village. Until 1814, Essertes, Châtillens and Les Tavernes formed only one municipality.

Forel (Lavaux) was a predominantly agricultural village until the second half of the 20th century. Even today, have agriculture, the dairy industry and animal husbandry and forestry an important role in the employment structure of the population. All three economic sectors can currently account for around 33% of the workforce. An industrial park has been created in the area of Le Pigeon since the 1970s. Construction and information technology companies have settled here; there is also a company that makes kitchen appliances. With the construction of numerous single-family houses in recent decades, the village has also developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work primarily in Lausanne and the Vevey – Montreux region.

Jorat-Mézières, November 30, 2014, the municipalities of Mézières, Carrouge and Ferlens decide to merge under the name of Jorat-Mézières. This merger entered into force on1 st July 2016.

Lutry is a Swiss municipality in the canton of Vaud, located in the district of Lavaux-Oron, it is part of the agglomeration of the city of Lausanne. Located on the north shore of Lake Geneva, the commune of Lutry is part of the Lavaux region. Located about 5 km from the center of Lausanne, it is part of the Lausanne agglomeration. It is crossed by the Lutrive which flows into the lake. The city is divided into two distinct parts, at the edge of the lake the old town and the districts of Taillepied, Grand Pont, and of the small Corniche spreads out between the new and the old port and the CFF station of Lutry. Above, there are more peripheral districts such as La Conversion, Le Landar, or Rochettaz, which are centered around the CFF de la Conversion station. There are also around old villages that have merged with the city, such as La Croix sur Lutry, or Savuit.

The village of Maracon was part of the Haut-Crêt government and then of the Bailiwick of Oron from 1547 to 1798. In 1949, the village knows a criminal case called ” crime of Maracon “. Two young girls are found dead in a forest in the town.

Montpreveyres is crossed by the road to Berne and serves as a relay between Lausanne and Berne. Geographically, it is located between Chalet-à-Gobet and Corcelles-le-Jorat. In the past, agriculture and forests were the main resources of the municipality. Today, the majority of the inhabitants work in Lausanne. Only three farms still exist. The town covers about 400 haof which 250 are devoted to agriculture. Eleven local companies animate the village. Demographically, the population increased from 348 inhabitants in 2000 to 525 at the end of 2011, and several housing constructions are in progress. In terms of infrastructure, drinking water and wastewater services have been completed. The heights of Montpreveyres offer a view of the Bernese, Friborg, Vaud and Savoy Alps.

Oron was formed on 1 st January 2012, following the merger of ten of its locations: Bussigny-sur-Oron, Châtillens, Chesalles-sur-Oron, Ecoteaux, Les Tavernes, Les Thioleyres, Oron-la-Ville, Oron- le-Châtel, Palézieux and Vuibroye. Oron is located in the east of the canton of Vaud 60 km south-west of Bern and 18 km north-east of Lausanne. With more than 1.6 km 2 of surface, the Bois de l’Erberey is the largest forest in the municipality. Crossed by several paths and fitted out with several picnic areas, it is appreciated by walkers. Le Bois du Chaney, 0.25 km 2, is equipped with a Vita course and you can rent a refuge there to organize events.

Paudex, coal mines, called the Paudèze, were exploited in the xviii th century to the Second World War. From 1709, Eirini d’Eirinis, a Greek prospector and mineralogist very active in Switzerland, took an interest in Paudex coal and obtained a concession which he shared with Isaac de Loys. The latter then founded a company which would take the name of Houillière de Paudex. He continued to operate it until his death in 1733. At the dawn of the xx th century, the exploitation takes on a completely different scale to supply the fuel area during the two world wars. The Paudèze and Oron basin delivered 1,500 tonnes of coal during the First World War and the ten mines reopened between Paudex and Oron during the Second World War, produced 95,000 tonnes.

Puidoux, to the south, clinging to the slope, between Epesses and Rivaz, lies the Puidoux vineyard with an area of 73 hectares. The name of the Municipality rarely appears on the labels since these famous wines mainly bear the name of ‘Dézaley Grand Cru’. Prestigious estates rub shoulders, that of the State of Vaud in Dézaley-Marsens and those of Clos des Moines and Clos des Abbayes, properties of the Municipality of Lausanne, as well as plots with evocative names ‘Les Embleyres’ (Arc- en-Vins SA Raymond & Sébastien Chappuis, Les Fils Rogivue, Domaine de la Chenalettaz) ‘Le Pertuiset’, ‘La Chapotannaz’, ‘La Gruyère’. Many winegrowers from neighboring villages own a few charmus in the Municipality of Puidoux. Thanks to the foresight of the authorities, this vineyard has been protected from construction since 1949, already.

Pully, Pully was a rather rural village until the beginning of the 20th century. At that time viticulture was practiced on the slopes around the town center, but in 1915 it was replaced by vegetable growing. Today there are only a few small vineyards left. The primary sector has hardly any significance in the employment structure of the population. Due to its location directly on the city limits of Lausanne, the settlement pressure on Pully rose sharply as early as 1900. As a result, the former wine-growing village developed into a residential suburb of Lausanne. The slopes around the old town center were built over with apartment blocks, single-family houses and villas and the agricultural zones were pushed back further and further. In contrast to the other municipalities bordering on Lausanne, there is no major industrial or commercial area in Pully. Tetra Pak International SA and Assura are important companies. The vast majority of those employed in Pully (around 80%) are employed in the service sector. Pully has a boat harbor on Lake Geneva and a recreation area along the lake.

Rivaz is a Swiss municipality in the canton of Vaud, located in the district of Lavaux-Oron. Rivaz is located on the shores of Lake Geneva. With an area of 32 hectares, it is the smallest municipality in Switzerland.

Saint-Saphorin village has been inhabited at least since Roman times, there is a milestone that could be dated to the year 47 AD, as well as the ruins of a Gallo-Roman villa, located under the current Gothic church. At that time the place was called Glerula (from the Latin glarea, “gravel, coarse sand”), then in the Middle Ages “Glérolles”. The village was destroyed during the Tauredunum landslide in 563. A new church was then built at a higher altitude, dedicated to Saint-Symphorien. The church later gave its name to the village. The village was part of the “ bishop’s lands “ during the Middle Ages. Bishop Sébastien de Montfalcon had the current church built between 1517 and 1521. The large stained-glass window is dated 1530. On the site of the ancient Glerula by the lake, a keep was built in 1150 by the bishop of Lausanne then transformed into a castle from 1300, it is today the castle of Glérolles, rebuilt around 1526. In the xix th century, the municipalities are divided, St. Saphorin form four new municipalities, Chexbres, Puidoux, Rivaz and St Saphorin.

Savigny located between 715 to 906 meters above sea level between Lavaux and Jorat. The territory of the commune of Savigny, which is 1,601 hectares, occupies the western part of the upper plateau of the district. It is, in a way, the hinge between Lavaux and Jorat, this Jorat of which it has the main features. For centuries, the economic relationship between Savigny and Lutry concerned agriculture. In 1825, the “people of Savigny” was described, in a Memorandum of information kept at the Vaud Cantonal Archives, as being without civilization: “Population of proletarians, the great majority of which owns nothing, or does not have anything to do with it. feed “. She practiced a polyculture at the end of her life. According to a document of the municipal archives, the inhabitants of Savigny grew in the second half of the xix th century: wheat, meslin, barley, rye, oats, peas, lentils, beans, poissettes, beans, potatoes, turnips, hemp and hay. The variety of crops and the irregularity of their yield were the main characteristics of agricultural production in Savigny. Fruits were never an important resource because of the harsh climate.

Servion is home to a Zoo which presents mammals, an ornithological and herpetological park, the Tropiquarium, as well as a performance hall, the Barnabé Theater, where a humorous review is presented every year.