Enjoy nature in the Kyoto Imperial Palace area, a place of relaxation for Kyoto citizens, and Kyoto Gyoen, and enjoy the classical mood while looking at the red brick buildings. Kyoto Gyoen is surrounded by trees on all sides. It is a vast national park 700 meters east-west and 1300 meters north-south, including the Kyoto Imperial Palace and the Kyoto State Guest House built in 2005 (Heisei 17). There are restaurants, plum grove, streams and lawns in the garden, and it is a place of relaxation for the citizens. The north side of the garden is the Imadegawa campus of Doshisha University, which is lined with typical Western-style architecture from the Meiji era. Some of them are designated as important cultural properties or registered tangible cultural properties, and have a classical atmosphere. On the east side of the garden, there are Nashinoki Shrine, which is known for the three famous waters of Kyoto, Somei’s water, and Rozanji Temple, which is said to be the site of Murasaki Shikibu’s residence.
Feel the rich nature in the Shimogamo area, the Tadasu-no-Mori of Shimogamo Shrine, which preserves the ancient ecosystem, and the Kamogawa Delta, which appears in the anime. Shimogamo Shrine is famous for the Aoi Matsuri held in May. Tadasu-no-Mori, which runs from the main shrine to Kawai Shrine in the precincts, is a forest that has the same vegetation as the primeval forest around the 3rd century BC, and is designated as a national historic site. After visiting the shrine, leave the precincts and head south on the street next to the Old Mitsui Family Shimogamo Bettei. This is the Kamogawa Delta, commonly known as the Kamogawa, where the Kamo and Takano rivers merge. It is also famous as a place to appear in anime and dramas. You can also cross the turtle and bird-shaped stepping stones on the river, and on holidays it is crowded with nearby university students and families. It is an area where you can easily come in contact with nature while being in the city.
Kamigyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. Located in the center of the city, it corresponds to the former north side of Kyoto. The Kamo River flows to the east. The Kyoto Prefectural Office is also located in this ward. Kamigyo Ward has a long history, and from the end of the Heian period, the expressions of the upper and lower sides that divided the town of Kyoto into north and south began to be used, and in the Middle Ages, it was roughly bordered by Nijo-dori and the upper town, downtown, or It is said that it came to be called Kamigyo and Shimogyo.
Traditional culture is still inherited in the ward, and historical heritage sites such as Senbon Shakado, Sokokuji Temple, and Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (as of April 2007, 12 national treasures, 232 important cultural properties, 6 historic sites) and tea ceremony There are three thousand families of the world (Omotesenke, Urasenke, Mushakojisenke). In addition, “Nishijin-ori”, which represents the industry of Kyoto, has been developed since the time of Heiankyo under the patronage of the Imperial Palace, public houses, shrines and temples, and the shogunate.
Kyoto Imperial Palace
The Kyoto Imperial Palace is an imperial facility located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The inner lining between 1331 and 1869 (Meiji 2) (the place where the emperor lived and performed ceremonies and public affairs, which is almost synonymous with the current Imperial Palace). Currently, it is managed by the Kyoto Office of the Imperial Household Agency. The inner lining of the capital during the Heian period (13th year of Enryaku and 794th year) was along Senbon-dori, 1.7km west of the current Kyoto Imperial Palace.
The current Kyoto Imperial Palace is the site of the Tomimon Higashidoin, which was originally one of the Sato Dairi (temporary Dairi that was set up when the inner lining was destroyed by fire). It was established as the inner and inner location of the Northern Court from the Nanbokucho period (mid-14th century), and after the union of the Northern and Southern Dynasties in 1392, it became the official Imperial Palace and became the official Imperial Palace in 1869, the Emperor Meiji. It survived until the time of the trip to Tokyo. After the Meiji era, it is also called the Kyoto Imperial Palace.
In the first year of Genko (3rd year of Gentoku, 1331), Emperor Kogon, who was established by the Kamakura Shogunate after Emperor Go-Daigo escaped from Kyoto, used this as the back of the village and became the capital of Tokyo by Emperor Meiji. It is the inner lining that has been used for about 550 years. Initially, the site was located on all sides of Ichimachi, but the site was expanded by Yoshimitsu Ashikaga, and after the maintenance by Nobunaga Oda and Hideyoshi Toyotomi, the current situation has almost solidified. In the Edo period alone, Keicho (1613), Kanei (1642), Jōō (1655), Kanbun (1662), Enpo (1675), Hoei (1709), It has been rebuilt eight times, with Kansei (1790) and Ansei (1855). Of these, Keicho and Kanei have been rebuilt by demolishing the old shrine, and the others have been rebuilt by burning fire.
In particular, the reconstruction of the Kansei degree became a retro style that incorporated many of the evidences of the Heian palace by Kozen Uramatsu. The existing Dairi was burnt down in a fire in Kaei 7 (1853) at the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, and was rebuilt in 1855, following the style of Kansei Dairi, and is called Ansei Dairi. ing. The Imperial Palace of the Daikakuji line, which will be called the Southern Court, was in the back of Nijo Tominokoji. The modern Kyoto Imperial Palace was expanded based on the inside of Tsuchimikado Todoin, not the inside of Tsuchimikado Todoin, and today’s site area was fixed during the Keio era at the end of the Edo period.
Adjacent to the Kyoto Imperial Palace are the Kyoto Omiya Imperial Palace and the Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace. The Kyoto Omiya Palace was built for Emperor Gomizuo’s Chugū Tofukumonin, and the current building was built for Empress Eisho (Emperor Komei) in 1867. ) Is completed. Currently, it is used for accommodations for emperors and empresses traveling to Kyoto Prefecture and for state guests. The Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace was built as a residence after the abdication of Emperor Gomizuo, but currently it only leaves a garden and a tea room.
Currently, the Kyoto Imperial Palace, Kyoto Omiya Imperial Palace and Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace are national property and are classified as “Imperial Property” under the jurisdiction of the Imperial Household Agency, and the Kyoto Gyoen National Garden, which is a national park around them, is managed by the Ministry of the Environment. .. Kyoto citizens, including Kyoto Gyoen, often simply call it the “Gosho”. The main existing buildings in the Kyoto Imperial Palace are Shishinden, Seiryoden, Kogosho, Gakumonjo, Otsunegoten, Otsunegoten, Osuzumisho, Empress Otsunegoten, Wakamiya / Himemiya, and Hikasha.
Located in the central northern part of Kyoto Gyoen. It is a building in a wide area surrounded by a Tsukiji wall (about 250 meters east-west and about 450 meters north-south) and a clear stream ditch, and the current one was rebuilt in 1855 (Ansei 2) in the late Edo period, and part of it. It imitates the old system of the Heian dynasty. The Imperial Palace is Shishinden Hall, where six gates and successive emperors were enthroned in the north, south, east and west. In addition, there is the Empress Palace Tsunemiya on the north side. In front of the small palace, there is an elegant garden with a large pond. You can enter and exit from the Seisho Gate.
A national park managed by the Ministry of the Environment, which is a vast green area 700 meters east-west and 1300 meters north-south that includes the Kyoto Imperial Palace, Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, Kyoto Omiya Imperial Palace, and Kyoto State Guest House. You can freely go in and out from all sides, such as Hamaguri-gomon, which is famous for the Kinmon Incident, and there are lawns and plum grove. In addition to rest houses, sports plazas and other places of relaxation, the site of Kan’in Palace, a garden, an exhibition hall where you can learn about the history and nature of the garden (Monday, New Year holidays, free of charge), Shusuitei, tea rooms during the Edo period (excluding the year-end and New Year holidays) Historical remains such as (100 yen every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) remain. The Imperial Household Agency manages the Imperial Palace, and the Imperial Household Agency Kyoto Office accepts visits to the Imperial Palace.
Kamo Goso Shrine is a shrine located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City. Known as Shimogamo Shrine. One of Shikinaisha (Meishin Taisha), Yamashiro Kuniichinomiya, and Nijunisha (upper seven companies). The old shrine was a large shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. It is registered as one of the “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto” in the World Heritage Site of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). It is a shrine that enshrines Kamo’s deity along with Kamo Betsurai Shrine (Kamigamo Shrine), and both companies are collectively called Kamo Shrine (Kamo Shrine). Famous for the Kamo Festival (commonly known as Aoi Matsuri) held by both companies.
The main shrine is called “Kamo Goso Shrine” because it enshrines Tamayorihime, the mother of Kamo Betsuraimei (Kamigamo Shrine deity) on the right, and Kamo Taketsunomi, the father of Tamayorihime, on the left. Golden Kite and Yatagarasu are incarnations of Kamo Taketsunomi. There are Tadasu no Mori, Mitarai River, and Mitarashi Pond in the precincts. The shrine is arranged in a straight line with the approach that extends straight from the confluence of the two rivers and the temple in front of it. The water of Mitaraisha is the holy water of Aoi Matsuri’s Saio era. Existence. Beverages are allowed.
It is one of the oldest shrines and temples in Kyoto. According to the company biography, a deity descended on Mt. Jimmu during the reign of Emperor Jimmu. In addition, there is a record of the renovation of the shrine Mizugaki in the 7th year of Emperor Sujin, so there is a theory that it was built around this time. According to one theory, it was separated from Kamigamo Shrine during the Tenpei period. Together with Kamigamo Shrine, he was revered by the imperial court before the Nara period.
After the transfer of capital to the Heian period, it became even more revered, and in the 2nd year of the Daido period (807), it received the highest rank of the Shinkai, and the Kamo festival was designated as a ceremonial festival. In the “Enki-shiki Shinto shrine”, it is stated that it will be listed in the Meishin Taisha Shrine as “Yamashiro Kuni Atago-gun Kamo Goso Shrine Niza” and will be deposited in the coins of the Meishin, Monthly, Soto, and Niiname festivals. For about 400 years after the first year of Konin (810), the Saiin was set up, and the princess served Kamo Shrine as Saio. Since the middle of the Heian period, every 21 years, all the buildings except the Shintai have been renewed, but since the two main shrines have been designated as national treasures, only a part of them is currently being restored.
Kongo Nogakudo was opened in 2003 near the former Muromachi Shogunate’s “Muromachi Palace” (west of the current Kyoto Imperial Palace), which is closely related to Noh in Kyoto. From the former Kongo Nogakudo in Muromachi, which has undergone more than 150 years of star frost, the Noh stage filled with the thoughts of its predecessors has been relocated as it is. A space that transcends time and space was born in the 21st century Noh theater, where the 19th century stage is fused. The elegant bamboo blind seats and the Qinghai wave pattern on the bridge, which conveys the image of the forbidden stage, further enhance the quaint appearance of the highlight. A stone stage set in a garden that colors the changing seasons in each season. Please spend a calming and brilliant time at Kongo Nogakudo.
Kyoto Prefectural Center for Arts and Culture
Opened on January 8, 1970 as a base for cultural and artistic activities in Kyoto, as part of the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Kyoto Prefectural Government. Since then, as a core facility for the creation and transmission of cultural arts, it has been widely used for performing arts performances such as theater, classical performing arts, dance, and music, as well as exhibitions of arts, crafts, and calligraphy works.
Famous places and historic sites
Kyoto Prefectural Office
The former main building of the Kyoto Prefectural Office is a two-story brick building built in 1904 (Meiji 37), and is the oldest existing building in each prefectural office with a square shape that adopts the late Renaissance style. It has a high architectural historical value and is designated as a national important cultural property. Since 1971 (Showa 46), Buildings 1 and 2 (both 6 stories) have been newly built around the old main building.
Kyoto State Guest House
The Kyoto State Guest House is a city that symbolizes the history and culture of Japan. In 2005, it aims to welcome guests from overseas with all their heart and deepen their understanding and friendship with Japan. ) This is a national guest house that opened in April. The hotel was designed with the aim of creating a “modern Japanese style” that fuses the essence and beauty of the long tradition of Japanese architecture with modern architectural techniques. Along with the guesthouse Akasaka Palace in Tokyo, it also serves as a place of reception for guests such as national guests.
Former Nijo Castle Ruins
This area is the site of Nijo Castle (separate from the current Nijo Castle) built by Nobunaga Oda for Shogun Ashikaga Yoshiaki in 1569 (Eiroku 12). Around the moat, a turret was set up on a high stone wall, and the inside of the castle was a solid and splendid castle with elaborate gardens and buildings. Yoshiaki was banished by Nobunaga in 1573 (Tensho 1), and the castle was demolished. After that, about 100 stone Buddhas were discovered in the subway construction nearby, and it turned out that they were used for the stone walls of the castle. Nobunaga’s power can be seen in the idea that this castle was completed in 70 days. This stone Buddha is stored in Fushimi Ward, Anrakujuin, Nishikyo Ward, and Rakusai Takebayashi Park in Kyoto City, and some of the stone walls found at the same time have been restored in the Kyoto Gyoen Shitatetsu Gomon and the current Nijo Castle. .. A stone monument in front of the local Heian Jogakuin. 200 meters from Marutamachi subway.
Karin of Goo Shrine
Karin of the pear family located in the precincts of Goo Shrine, north of the main gate. The tree is 14m high and the trunk is 1.5m thick, and it is said to be an “asthma-sealing shinboku” because of its fruit effect.
Remains of the female red field
A girls’ education institution established in the early Meiji era. 1872 (Meiji 5) First, the New English School Women’s Red Field was opened in Marutamachi Dori, Kamigyo-ku. Later, after working at a girls’school, it developed into Kyoto Prefectural Daiichi High School (currently Kamotsu High School) in 1901 (Meiji 34). After 1873 (Meiji 6), he set up a city girl red field in each school district and taught sewing and handicrafts. There is a stone monument in Nishizume, Marutamachi Bridge. City bus Kawaramachi Marutamachi 200 meters.
The tea room of the Mushakojisenke (one of the three thousand tea ceremonies) built by Sen no Sōtan (the grandson of Rikyu) during the Kanbun era (1661-75). Burned down three times during the Edo period and rebuilt at the beginning of the Meiji era. The open-air garden is rich in elegance, including the stepping stones that connect famous seats such as the government holiday hermitage, Hanpoan, Kansuien, Sodou, and Kodoan, and the ‘Henkasamon’ stone lanterns at the central gate.
Niijima Old Residence
Doshisha’s founder, Joseph Hardy Neesima and his wife, Yae’s private residence (completed in 1878), is a two-story wooden Japanese-style building that incorporates Western-style techniques. In 1985, it was designated as a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City.
NTT West Nishijin Building
1921 (Taisho 10) Opened as the Nishijin branch of the Kyoto Central Telephone Office. Reinforced concrete three-story building. Designed by Roku Iwamoto, an engineer of the Ministry of Communications, this is the only existing work. The bold design is eye-catching, with reliefs lined up in a semi-elliptical shape up to the second floor of the front, and statues of nude women placed in the center of the doorway and on the left and right pillars. It is famous as a monumental architecture designed by the individuality of the designer, breaking away from the Western-style architecture of the Meiji era.
An old shrine that was built by Emperor Meiji in 1868 (former Meiji era) by transferring the spirit of Emperor Sutoku from the Shiramine Mausoleum in Sanuki. Later, in the 6th year of the Meiji era, Emperor Junnin also transferred the spirit from the Awaji tomb and enshrined it. Emperor Sutoku, the deity of the ritual, was exiled to the “Hogen Rebellion” and Emperor Junnin was exiled to the “Fujiwara no Nakamaro Ran”. The main shrine of the precincts, “Seidai Myojin,” is famous as the god of Kemari and the stars. The Ogatama tree is a magnolia compressa in the precincts of Shiramine Jingu. Located in the southeastern part of the precincts. The precincts were originally the site of the Asukai family’s residence, and the Magnolia compressa has existed for a long time in the site, and is one of the largest in Kyoto, where there are many shrines and temples. It blooms with a faint fragrance in early spring. City-designated natural monument.
Sugawara-in Tenmangu Shrine, Sugawara’s first Yui
A stone trapezoidal granite well in the precincts of Sugawara-in Tenmangu Shrine, which is said to be Sugawara no Michizane Yunoi. Very recently (2010), a well of hot water was excavated and pure water came out, which is pleased by worshipers. There is also a lantern of beloved. The explorer Matsuura Takeshiro (the godfather of Hokkaido) worshiped Tenmangu in his later years and dedicated bronze mirrors and stone monuments to our company.
Kano Motonobu Residence Ruins
The residence of Motonobu Kano, a painter of the Muromachi Shogunate, and his descendants. Motonobu was born here in 1476 (Civilization 8) and died at the age of 84 in 1559 (Eiroku 2), but the mansion continues with Matsuei and Eitoku, and his children and disciples protect the work of Kyo-Kano. The ruins of the mansion where Motonobu laid the foundation for the 300 years of the Kano school now only leave a stone monument.
Site of Kyoto Shugoshoku Mansion
One of the job titles established by the Edo Shogunate in 1862 (Fumihisa 2) to deal with the maintenance of politics and security at the end of the Edo period. Matsudaira Katamori, the lord of the Aizu domain, takes office. In the following three years, he acquired 99,000 square meters (30,000 tsubo) of private land in a large area covering the current Kyoto Prefectural Office, Second JRCS Hospital, and Umeya School, and built a guardian residence. Placed at the top of Kyoto Shoshidai and Kyoto Town. 1867 (Keio 3) Abolished due to the restoration of the royal government. There is a stone monument in the government office.
Suika Tenmangu Shrine
Suika Tenmangu Shrine is a shrine located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The old shrine is a village shrine. It is said to be the god of avoiding water and fire. It is familiar to the locals as “Tenjin-san of water fire”. In 923 (the first year of extension), at the request of Emperor Daigo, the priest of Enryakuji was appointed as a guardian deity to prevent water accidents, and it was erected by soliciting the spirit of Sugawara no Michizane. It used to be in Kamitenjin-cho, Kamigyo-ku, but moved to its current location in 1952 with the expansion of Horikawa-dori. Also known as Sugawara no Michizane.
Rakuchu was often hit by thunderstorms, and when the prayer-ordered Hoseibo Honor approached the Kamogawa River to head for the palace, the river suddenly flooded. When I prayed for the gods, the water was immediately divided into two, Sugawara appeared on the rock in the center, and the thunderstorm soon subsided as soon as I ascended to heaven. The rock on which Sugawara appeared at this time was named “Totenishi”, and the existing stone is said to be a part of it. The birthstone is a sacred stone next to the Totenishi in the precincts of Suika Tenmangu Shrine. Faith is a stone that fulfills a big wish and goes out into the world.
Traces of Yokoi Shonan’s distress
Yokoi Shonan, a Higo feudal lord, was invited by the Echizen feudal clan to guide the feudal affairs. He became a participant of the new Meiji government, but was assassinated by several thugs on the streets of Marutamachi Shimoru, Teramachi-dori, Nakagyo-ku, on the way back to the Imperial Palace on New Year 5th, 1869 (Meiji 2). Progressive ideas have become the source of some conservatives. There is a stone monument there and it is one of the restoration historic sites. The tomb is in Sakyo Ward, Nanzenji Temple Tenju-an. The city bus is right next to Kawaramachi Marutamachi.
Namikawa Tenmin Kogakusho Ruins
This place was where the Confucian doctor Namagawa Tenmin’s private school, Horikinosha, was located in the middle of the Edo period. Born in Yokooji Village, a suburb of Kyoto in 1679, Tenmin was a sexually active person, did not serve as a lifelong officer, and was content with destitute poverty, and studied at the private school Horikinosha in this area. In 1718, he died at the age of 40 and was buried in Seikanji Temple in Higashiyama.
The south garden of Hokyoji has a beautiful moss on one side, and the contrast with the autumn leaves “Hyakuki Ichiki” is vivid. The eastern garden is a garden of gorgeous flowers and trees such as cherry blossoms, camellias, persimmons, and quince. There is also a “Tsurukame no Niwa” related to Princess Kazu. In the courtyard, there are Yae Sakura and the village girl camellia in the capital of Nara.
Kumagaya, Moonlight, and Muramusume are famous for Kumagaya, which was the log of Higo camellia at the northern end of the garden of Hokyoji Temple. The distance between the trunks is 130 cm above the ground, and the flowers are branched into three trunks. The crimson flower, which is one of the important rings, is characterized by the circular shape of the buds. , It is also the original form of Higo camellia. The leaves are also dark green and thick. In addition, the moonlight in the northwest corner of the garden is a valuable masterpiece in Kyoto Tsubaki, and in particular, the individual of Hokyoji here has a bright white color, which contrasts with the crimson petals. There is a characteristic that appears purely. In the courtyard, the village girl’s log has dark pink double flowers.
Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace
It was completed in 1630 (Kanei 7) as the Imperial Palace of Emperor Gomizuo. The palace was burnt down in 1854 (Kaei 7) and was not rebuilt at the end, and now the two teahouses of Sinjeong-tei and Sinjeong-tei and the magnificent garden retain the remnants of the past.
Former Mitsui Family Shimogamo Bettei
The former Mitsui Family Shimogamo Bettei, an important cultural property built in 1925, was built in 1925 as the villa of the Mitsui family, a wealthy merchant who flourished as a money changer and money changer in the Edo period and grew into a major conglomerate in the Meiji period. To the north, there used to be the Kenmei Reisha, which enshrines the ancestral spirit of the Mitsui family, and was set up as a place for people involved in the Mitsui family to take a break when visiting.
When building this villa, the main building that was relocated from the retired house of the Mitsui family, which was built in 1880 in Sanjo, Kiyamachi, the tea room that was originally built in the Edo period and was renovated. It consists of a newly built entrance building and buildings of three different eras, and has an elegant structure with a moss garden on the south side. It is said that many executives of the Mitsui Zaibatsu, a clan of the 11 Mitsui family, gathered at each festival. In normal exhibition, you can visit the entrance building, the first floor of the main building, and the garden. The Mitsui family has grown from a mercer and established Japan’s first private bank. You can touch a part of that aesthetic sense and learn about the architectural beauty of the late Tokugawa period, the Meiji era, and the Taisho era.
St. Agnes Church
A church belonging to the Anglican Church in Japan, which follows the tradition of the Anglican Church. Since the beginning of the Meiji era, missionaries from the United Kingdom and the United States have been evangelizing in various parts of Japan, but since 1889, they have been actively evangelizing in Kyoto. This cathedral was completed in 1898 as a chapel of the Heian Jogakuin and as a cathedral of the Anglican Church in Japan in the Kyoto region (currently the Parish of Kyoto), and was named Holy 31st Cathedral after a dedication ceremony. Designed by James M. Gardiner, the first principal of Rikkyo Gakuin.
St. Agnes Church is located on the west side of Kyoto Gyoen across Karasuma Dori. There is a three-story bell tower on the northeast corner and a worship preparation room on the southeast corner, and the heavy Gothic exterior (brickwork) conveys the characteristics of the Christian church during the Meiji era. A tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City.
Rozanji Garden Genji Garden
The garden of Rozanji Temple is a dry landscape garden with a gentle curve of moss on the white sand. Kikyo adds a neat and clean atmosphere to the garden associated with Murasaki Shikibu. Kikyo is beautiful from mid-June to mid-September.
Ruins of Ashikaga Shogun Muromachi
A mansion built by Yoshimitsu, the third shogun of Ashikaga, in 1378 (Eiwa 4). There was the Muromachi Shogunate. Muromachi-den, Muromachi Palace, and Muromachi Palace. Surrounded by Karasuma Dori and Muromachi Dori, Imadegawa Dori and Kamidachiuri Dori, it was 110 meters east-west and 220 meters north-south, and was the center of politics and culture during the Muromachi period. However, it was burnt down by the Onin War, leaving some town names. A stone monument on the northeast corner.
Tomioka Tessai Residence Ruins
Now the official residence of the Kyoto Prefectural Assembly. Japanese style 2 stories, area 1,211 square meters (367 tsubo). The 3-story Western-style building is a library built during his lifetime. Tessai lived here from 1882 (Meiji 15) to his death in 1924 (Taisho 13) at the age of 89, and produced many masterpieces with his genius and individuality. A stone monument in front of the gate. Subway Imadegawa 400 meters.
The ruins of Ito Jinsai’s house (Kogido) and the library
It is the residence of Jinsai Ito, a Han scholar in the early Edo period, and is called Kogido after the study of Jinsai. The current building was rebuilt with the remains in 1897, and the two-story, storehouse-built library is from the time of Nisai’s reign. Nisai was born here in the 4th year of Kanei (1627). Nisai first studied Zhu Xi, but later eliminated it and advocated ancient law, and for about 40 years from Kanbun 2 (1662) to Hoei 2 (1705) when he died at the age of 79, a private school. And worked as a professor, and the number of his students was 3,000.
School corporation Doshisha
On the Imadegawa campus of the school corporation Doshisha, many typical Western-style buildings from the Meiji era remain. Shoeikan (1884), Doshisha Chapel (1886), Yushukan (1887), Harris Science Hall (1890), and Clark Memorial Hall (1893) are important cultural properties of the country. The James Hall (1914), Keimei Hall (1920), Glory Hall (1932), Amherst House (1932), etc. are registered tangible cultural properties. Weddings are held at the Doshisha Chapel, an important cultural property, and the chapel of the Clarke Memorial Hall, which is also used for lectures and classes. All buildings are active. In addition, there are Korean national poets Yun Dong-ju and Jeong Ji-yong’s poetry monument related to Doshisha on the campus, and Korean tourists are constantly offering flowers. The “Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery” in the Harris Science Hall is open to the public.
Honpo-ji Temple Tomoe Garden
Hon’ami Koetsu’s “Three Tomoe Garden”. This garden is designated as a national scenic spot. In the deep part, the dead waterfall stone group (Sanson stone group) skillfully reproduces the method of the Muromachi period, and expresses the appearance of the water flowing down with the blue stones with vertical stripes arranged in a paragraph. In addition, it shows a graphic design with a lotus pond framed by ten cut stones and a circular stone that combines two semicircles.
Fujii Umon’s house trace
There was the residence of Naoaki Fujii (right gate), a sonnō scholar in the middle of the Edo period. Born in Toyama Prefecture, Umon went to Kyoto and became a professor at the Imperial Academy and preached to the Kuge. He was executed in Tokyo in 1766 (Meiwa case). The old house on the right gate was also used as a meeting place for the scholars because of the Satsuma domain’s residence on the site of the current Doshisha University, and it is unforgettable as a historic site of the Meiji Restoration. The mansion was torn down for land readjustment in 1922, but in 1922, a monument to honor the right gate was erected.
Satsuma feudal clan residence ruins
The Kyo-yashiki changed until the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, but in 1863 (Bunkyu 3), Hisamitsu Shimazu set up a new mansion in Nihonmatsu, south of Sogokuji Temple in Kamigyo Ward, and also set up a residence in Tojiin, Kita Ward. In the Meiji era, the ruins of Nishikikoji’s residence became a temple. Later on the Kyoto exchange. Nihonmatsu House will be the site of Doshisha University. There is a stone monument. Immediately after the subway Imadegawa.
A place name that refers to the area where the Kamo River and Takano River, which flow through the northern part of Kyoto City, meet and change their name to Kamo River. The delta is nicknamed the Kamogawa Delta, and because it is close to Kyoto University and Doshisha University, students gather, including the surrounding riverbeds. When the weather is nice, guests with children come to play in the river, and you can see them coming into contact with nature while being in the city. Gozan no Okuribi is crowded with many people because you can see capital letters and mysterious methods. The end point of the Keihan train, Demachiyanagi Station, is adjacent, and you can walk to Shimogamo Shrine and Kyoto Gyoen National Garden. On the west side, there is also Demachi Masugata Shopping Street, which is popular for its retro atmosphere.
The west side of Kyoto Gyoen, originally called the new home gate, was closed, but when the Great Fire of Tenmei (1788) opened, it was called the Hamaguri-gomon, which was likened to a’burnt-mouthed clam’. The “Kinmon Incident” in which the Choshu Army and the Satsuma-Aizu Allied Forces collided at the Imperial Palace on July 19, 1864 (Genji 1) is also called the “Hamaguri-gomon Incident”. In the war, the Choshu army was defeated, and over 38,000 private houses were burned in the war.
Approximately 1000 pieces of tea ceremony art collected by businessman and tea master Shojiro Kitamura are stored. Among them, there are 34 important cultural properties such as Satakemoto 36 Kasenkiri and Buson Yosa Buson. A collection of tea ceremony art. Planning and exhibiting the tea ceremony and atmosphere of the tea ceremony. In addition, the adjacent tea garden called “Shikimikoen” (known as a treasure trove of stone structures, where about 60 pieces of various stone works are arranged), the tea room and the Sukiya-zukuri building are masterpieces of Showa Sukiya. It is open to the public for a certain period in spring and autumn.
Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery
Doshisha is the predecessor of Doshisha English School, which was opened by Joseph Hardy Neesima in 1875 (Meiji 8). After completing about 10 years of study abroad, he planned to train people in Japan through Christianity-based education. With the cooperation and assistance of many people, including his wife, Yae Niijima’s older brother, Kakuma Yamamoto, and the American Board, we will lay the foundation for the current Doshisha University. In addition, many ancestors have contributed to the development of Doshisha, inheriting the aspirations of Doshisha. This gallery is an exhibition facility that introduces the history of the founder Joseph Hardy Neesima and Doshisha with materials. The Harris Science Hall was completed in 1890 (Meiji 23) with the donation of J.N. Harris, and is the base of physics and chemistry education at Doshisha University. Currently, it is designated as a national important cultural property.
Public Interest Incorporated Foundation Masutomi Chikaikan
The Masutomi Geoscience Center is a gathering place for people who are interested in earth science, and in addition to research facilities, it holds more than 10,000 earth science-related books and is open to members. In the specimen exhibition room, about 15,000 specimens of minerals, fossils, rocks, etc. from all over the world are exhibited, and domestic specimens are classified by prefecture and open to the public. In addition to conducting earth science classes for young people and training for various groups (reservations required), the museum also holds regular lectures, field tours, and gatherings for the general public and members of earth science groups. In addition, we hold an exhibition and spot sale event “Stone Mysterious Discovery Exhibition” in which more than 200 companies from all over the world exhibit, and carry out mineral appraisal tests on a nationwide scale.
Kyoto City Library of Historical Documents
A facility for the purpose of researching and researching the history of Kyoto and collecting, preserving and utilizing historical materials. In order to respond to interest in history, we hold history courses and ancient document courses. It houses about 130,000 historical materials of Kyoto City and about 56,000 books, and holds theme exhibitions and special exhibitions. You can also browse old documents (copies) and books on the history of Kyoto. ..
Founded in 1755, the museum of Tawaraya Yoshitomi, a long-established confectionery store that represents Kyoto. Based on the concept of “I want to convey the culture of Kyoto sweets to as many people as possible”, ancient documents and paintings about Kyoto sweets, models of Japanese sweets, sugar art sweets, etc. are exhibited. Sugar art confectionery is a work of art that reproduces flowers and birds using sugar, and the permanent exhibition is valuable. Lastly, at the tea ceremony “Shounken” in the hall, we would like you to enjoy matcha tea, Tawaraya Yoshitomi’s famous confectionery “Unryu” and seasonal namagashi.
Tea Ceremony Museum
The Tea Ceremony Museum holds a special exhibition on Chanoyu, and is an art museum that mainly exhibits tea utensils such as kakemono, tea bowls, and flowers, related arts and crafts, and historical documents. In the display room on the 2nd floor, along with “Kyouan”, there is a full-scale copy of “Matagaku”, one of the representative tea rooms of Urasenke, where you can tour the tea room. Visitors to the exhibition will be presented with tea, which will be served with matcha tea and Japanese sweets.
Shokokuji Jotenkaku Museum
Opened in the precincts of Sokokuji Temple in 1984 as part of a commemorative project for the 600th anniversary of the founding of Sokokuji Temple. The works of art that have been handed down to Sokokuji, Kaenji (Kinkakuji), Jishoji (Ginkakuji), and Tatchu Temple are stored and exhibited. In the permanent exhibition, you can see a part of Ito Jakuchu’s “Kinkakuji Daishoin Barrier Painting” (important cultural property), and you can see valuable collections that you can’t usually see in the special exhibition.
The Imura Museum of Art was opened in 1981 on the west side of Tadasu-no-Mori, the road to visit Shimogamo Shrine, at the confluence of the Kamo and Takano rivers in Kyoto. We continue to work to convey the charm of modern Arita art and ceramics since the end of the Edo period. In the quiet museum on the basement floor, about 50 works from the teens Imaemon and the 11th Kakiemon, who contributed to the reconstruction of Arita art and ceramics during the Meiji era, are exhibited. Then, the museum independently collected and researched the characteristics and inscriptions of each generation that were buried in the long history and were about to be forgotten. As a result, it has become a museum where you can see works along the history of 400 years from the Edo period to the present. At the Kyoto Bisho Gallery on the 1st floor, not only successive Kakiemon / Imaemon and Koimari ware, but also Western antique items centered on old baccarat are exhibited and sold. Please have a look.
It is built adjacent to the Raku ware kiln and the Raku family. It has been more than 450 years since the first Chojiro, and the collection of tea utensils, crafts, related ancient documents, etc., centered on the works of the Kaku family, exceeds 1,200. “Special appreciation tea ceremony” and “touching tea bowl appreciation party” are held by the works of the past, and you can actually appreciate it with your hands.
Rai Sanyo Study Mountain Shimizu Akira
Rai Sanyo, known as the author of “Nihon Gaishi,” which was the driving force behind the Meiji Restoration, built a Kusado-style detachment in the garden of his home, Mizunishiso, in 1828. It consists of a four and a half tatami mat room with a small alcove, a two tatami mat study, a one tatami mat mizuya and a board, and a corridor. It is located in the center of Kyoto City, with the Kamo River flowing in front of it, and the scenery of Mt. Hiei, Mt. Hiei, and Mt. The word Sanshi Suimei has become popular since Sanyo used it in this study.
Chushin Art Museum
The museum has a charming Southern European-style exterior, with rounded light orange walls, a copper-thatched roof, a gate with a spiral chain motif, and an Italian iron door designed with flowers and insects. In addition to special exhibitions, we regularly hold exhibitions centered on works of art such as paintings owned by the Chuo Shinkin Art Encouragement Fund and Kyoto Chuo Shinkin Bank.
Suzuki Ichizome Collection
Suzuki’s dyeing and weaving collection room where you can learn about the charm and fun of genuine fissures. The exhibition is divided into four seasons. First of all, it is important to see the real thing, and a collection room to help develop the eyes to distinguish the cracks.
Nakagawa Photo Gallery
Nakagawa Photo Gallery was opened on March 1, 1993 in Kita-ku, Kyoto. The camera obscura (photo mirror) was first installed in Japan, and it was a gallery displaying photographic equipment and photographs, but it will be closed at the end of July this year. We thank you for your warm encouragement and support. In the future, Nakagawa Photo Gallery will change its name to NPG and would like to disseminate a new culture related to Kyoto in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City.
Events / festivals
Seidai Myojin Festival
Hokyoji Doll Exhibition
Nuo folk religion
Natsukoshi Dairei Ceremony
Prefectural Haiku Tournament
Go through Tanabata Komachi
Martial Arts Prosperity Encouragement Festival
Goo Grand Festival
Annual festival, Xiaoshanxiang Rokusai Nenbutsu
Prosperous Power Autumn Festival
Kyoto no Nagashibina
Fireworks tea party
Seal prayer festival
Noh in the town corner
Fire-burning and lighting Daigoma offering
Moon-viewing festival (lighting festival)
Tokyo Takigi Noh
Hiiragi Daimeijin Festival / Setsubun Festival
Yabusame Shinto ritual
Doll memorial service