From the Shuzan Kaido, where Kitayama Sugi is beautiful, walk around Jingoji, Saimyoji, and Kosanji, which are famous for their autumn colors, to Mio. From the center of Ukyo Ward, take National Route 162 and Shuzan Kaido, and the surrounding scenery will gradually change. The magnificent mountains with beautiful Kitayama Sugi come into your eyes instead of the houses lined up. As you enjoy the upcoming nature, you will soon arrive in Kaohsiung. This area has been called “Mio” for a long time. It is a general term for Kaohsiung, Makio, and Kosanji, and there are temples called Jingoji, Saimyoji, and Kosanji, respectively, and you can walk around, so many people walk while hiking. It is an area where you can enjoy the charm of each season, such as blue maple, mountain azalea, firefly and autumn leaves.
Kaohsiung is a place name in Umegahata, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. To be exact, Umegahata Takao Town, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City. Also referred to as Takao, it is named alongside Makio along with neighboring Makio and Makio. It was often adopted as the name of a warship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, and was also the origin of the place name of Kaohsiung City in Taiwan. There is Jingoji Temple and it is famous as a famous place for autumn leaves. The Kiyotaki River flows through the valley at the foot of Mt. Kaohsiung, and you can enjoy the riverbed of Kaohsiung at the surrounding restaurants.
Jingoji is a temple of the Koyasan Shingon sect, located in Kaohsiung, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is called Kaohsiung Mountain. The principal image is Yakushi Nyorai, and Kaisan is Wake no Kiyomaro. It is a mountain temple located on the hillside of Mt. Kaohsiung in the Atagoyama (924 meters) mountain range, northwest of Kyoto city, and is known as a famous spot for autumn leaves. Dou such as Kondo, Tahoto, and Daishido are built in the mountains after a long approach from Kaohsiung Bridge over the Kiyotaki River. Jingoji is a temple where Kukai temporarily lived before managing Toji and Koyasan, and Saicho also gave a lecture on the Lotus Sutra here, which is an important temple in the history of Japanese Buddhism.
An ancient temple of the Shingon sect. Originally Mr. Wake’s temple. Kukai (Kobo Daishi) lived there for 14 years from 809 (Datong 4), and then it was devastated, but at the end of the Heian period, the literary masters revived. Many statues of Buddhist statues, paintings, and handwritings from the Heian and Kamakura periods, including the national treasure Yakushi Nyorai statue, remain. Bonsho (national treasure) is one of the three famous bells in Japan. A famous place for autumn leaves.
The temple name is called “Jingokokuso Shingonji” in detail. “Jingoji” is used exclusively in the “Jingoji abbreviation”, which is the basic historical material of the temple, and in the national treasure, “Jingoji”, and “Jingoji” is also used on the board at the entrance of the temple. Because of this, the notation “Jingoji” is used in this section as well.
The statue of Yoritomo Minamoto no Yoritomo by Kinumoto is a national treasure painting made in the Kamakura period at Jingoji Temple. A portrait of Minamoto no Yoritomo, the first shogun of the Kamakura Shogunate, and is said to be written by Takanobu Fujiwara. A sitting statue of a lord wearing a sword and a bandage in his hand, full of courage and elegance, and an excellent portrait of the inside. Bonsho is a national treasure craft made in the Heian period at Jingoji Temple. A copper bell with a height of 1.47 m and a caliber of 80.3 cm. Since ancient times, it has been called the “Sanzen no Kane”. The inscription cast on the bell body was written by Tachibana no Hiromi, Sugawara no Koreyoshi, and Fujiwara no Toshiyuki.
Saimyoji is a temple of the Shingon sect Daikakuji school in Ukyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Makiosan, and the principal image is Shaka Nyorai. It is located on the hillside on the opposite bank across the Kiyotaki River from Shuzan Kaido, northwest of Kyoto city. It is known as a famous temple of Mio along with Kaohsiung Mountain Jingoji Temple and Kosanji Temple along the Zhoushan Highway. Founded by Kukai’s disciple Chisen during the Tencho era (824-834). Also known as the Equality Heart Royal Palace. The current cathedral was rebuilt in 1700 (Genroku 13) by the devotion of Keishōin. The statue of Shakyamuni Buddha (Important Cultural Property) is a statuette with a height of 51 cm and is carved by the Buddhist master Unkei. The Senju Kannon statue (Important Cultural Property) enshrined on the side is a statue with a delicate face carved in the Heian period. Shingon sect. A famous place for autumn leaves.
According to the temple, it was founded by Kukai (Kobo Daishi)’s high-ranking younger brother, Chisen Daitoku, as an annex of Jingoji Temple during the Tencho era (824-834). After that, it was devastated, but during the construction period (1175-1178), the selfish superior of Izumi Kunimakioyama Temple was promoted, and the main hall, Keizo, treasure tower, and guardian were built. In 1290, he became independent from Jingoji Temple. The temple was destroyed by fire during the Eiroku era (1558-1570) and merged with Jingoji Temple, but it was revived by the Meinin Ritsushi in the 7th year of Keicho (1602). The current main hall is said to have been rebuilt in 1700 by the donation of Tsunayoshi Tokugawa’s mother, Keishoin, but there is also a theory that it was donated by Tofukumonin (Emperor Gomizuo Chugū).
The front gate is the Ichima Yakui Gate, which was built in 1700, the same as the main hall, and is valuable as a series of buildings built by Genroku in Saimyoji. The main hall was rebuilt in 1700 with the donation of Keishoin, the birth mother of the fifth shogun, Tsunayoshi Tokugawa. There are seven girder rows and four girder rows, and the inside is divided into three girder rows. The central area is the Chancel, and the four heavenly pillars are built behind it, and the kitchen is enshrined in the Tang-sama Sumidan with the inverted lotus giboshi. The side camps on both sides play the role of the outer camp, and it is characteristic that it is a unique plane for the main hall of the Shingon sect temple.
The forehead of “Sacred Mountain Eagle Heart” is listed on the beam at the front entrance. The statue of Shaka Nyorai is the principal image enshrined in the kitchen on the Sumidan in front of the main hall, and is a statue carved by the Buddhist priest Unkei during the Kamakura period. It is said that the statue of Shaka Nyorai in the Seiryoji style conveys the image of Shaka Nyorai during his lifetime, and it is an important cultural property. Shaka Nyorai was born in India 2,500 years ago and founded Buddhism. The teaching is, “All things obey the law of cause, rim, and fruit. When we see the law of cause, rim, and fruit, we give birth to Masatomo. When we give birth to Masatomo, we live the right life. When we live the right life, we suffer. , Saved from worries, the light of peace is realized here. ”
The Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu statue is enshrined on the side of the main hall and was carved during the Heian period, making it an important cultural property. It is a statue of the Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu with forty-two hands, including ten faces overhead, a crown, and a true hand. It is a statue with a delicate face that is thin and has a straight nose. It is believed to save the suffering of sentient beings with the power of mercy.
Kosanji Temple is a temple located in Umegahata Toganou-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City. Kosanji is located in the mountains northwest of Kyoto city. Kosanji Temple calls the mountain name Kabuoyama, and the sect is a stand-alone Shingon sect. It is said that it was founded in the Nara period, but the actual Kaisan (founder) was Myoe in the Kamakura period. Myoe, who was a disciple of the literary sense of Jingoji, entered the temple after the ruin of the Jingoji temple that was originally here. It is known as a temple that conveys many cultural assets such as paintings, books, and documents, including “Choju-jingai”. The precincts are designated as a national historic site and are registered as a World Heritage Site as “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”.
Founded in 774 (Houki 5). In 1206 (Ken’ei 1), Myoe Shonin opened the mountain as Kosanji Temple with the devotion of Emperor Go-Toba. It is known as the birthplace of tea because the tea seeds donated by Eisai Zenshi were cultivated and the seedlings were transmitted to Uji. The National Jewel Water Institute is a valuable remains that retains the remnants of the Shinden-zukuri style of the early Kamakura period. A treasure trove of cultural assets in Rakusai, such as the 4th volume of Choju-Giga (national treasure). A famous place for autumn leaves. Stand-alone temple. In December 1994, it was registered as a World Cultural Heritage site based on the “World Heritage Convention” as “Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto”.
Kosanji Temple, where Kosanji Temple is located, is located in the mountains further back from Kaohsiung Mountain Jingoji Temple, which is famous for its autumn colors, and it seems that a small temple has been run since ancient times as a suitable place for mountain training. In the land of today’s Kosanji Temple, there are temples called “Tokaoji” and “Tsugaobo” from the Nara period, and it was built in Houki 5 (774) at the request of Emperor Konin. There is a report, but the actual situation at that time is not clear. During the Heian period, it was said to be a separate temple of the nearby Jingoji Temple, and was called Jingoji Jingoji Temple. It seems that this was a place of retreat training away from the main temple of Jingoji.
Sekisuiin (Gosho-do) is a national treasure building built in the Kamakura period at Kosanji Temple in Ukyo-ku. It is also called Gosho-do, and is said to have been given the school of Kamo by Emperor Go-Toba in 1224. The single-story, Irimaya-style residential building was later changed to a worship hall style with a front worship. Since its foundation, it has been relocated and remodeled many times, and was relocated to its current location in 1889.
Hiraoka Hachimangu is a shrine (Hachimangu) located in Umegahata Miyanoguchi-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Also known as Umegahata Hachimangu, it is a local production company in the Umegahata area. It is also the oldest Hachiman shrine in Yamashiro province. It is said that Kukai solicited from Usa Hachimangu in Oita Prefecture in 809 (4th year of Daido) as a guardian of Jingoji Temple. It had been devastated for a while after it was burnt down in 1407 (Oei 14), but when Yoshimitsu Ashikaga’s wife visited Kaohsiung to hunt for autumn leaves, she was distressed by the desolate appearance of Hachimangu, which triggered the reconstruction of the shrine. There is a tradition that it became.
It is the oldest Hachiman shrine in Yamashiro province, which was built with the monk-shaped Hachiman god statue drawn by Kobo Daishi himself as the guardian deity of Jingoji Temple. The main shrine was burnt down during the Muromachi period, but was rebuilt by Yoshimitsu Ashikaga, and the current building was restored in the 9th year of Bunsei. Forty-four colorful flower paintings are drawn on the inner ceiling, which is called the “flower ceiling” and is open to the public every year for two seasons, spring and autumn. The precincts are famous for the approach to Kaohsiung Maple and camellia.
The current main shrine was built in 1826 (Bunsei 9), and the carpenters are Sobei Kamisaga and Tsuneemon Nakagawa of Muromachi Tadahiro Fujiwara. This main shrine is one of the few existing gabled main shrines in Kyoto City, and was designated as a tangible cultural property of Kyoto City in 2000 (Heisei 12). Forty-four colorful flower drawings are drawn on the ceiling of the main shrine, which is called the “flower ceiling,” and the Umeya Nagao is a highly decorative space with plums and camellias wrapped in Noshi. It was Kanjiro Ayato and Nonobu Fujiwara who drew these colored paintings.
It is a temple of the Jodo sect, and the mountain number is Awatayama. The principal image of Yakushi Nyorai. The place where Mizuoyama Temple was located in the Heian period. Emperor Seiwa entered Mizuoyama Temple in March 880 after the transfer and started construction of a Buddhist temple as the place of demise, but soon after he was ill, he moved to Enkakuji Temple in Rakuto Awata, and in the same year 12 Demise at the same temple on the 4th of March. Engakuji was burnt down in 1420 and moved to Mizuoyama-ji, which has a connection with the emperor, and while the temple name was also used, only the name of Engakuji remained.
En no Gyōja built a shrine with Taicho during the Taiho era (701-704). Wake no Kiyomaro, who received the decree in the first year of Tenno (781), joined forces with the Keitoshi monk capital and became a company for the protection of the royal castle. He has a strong belief as a god of “fire protection (fire prevention / extinguishing)” and has been solicited by more than 900 companies nationwide. The “Sennichisho” from the night of July 31st to the early morning of August 1st is famous.
Located on the hillside of Mt. Atago, the magnificent scenery of the four surrounding mountains spreads out. In 781 (Tenno 1), it was reported that the Keitoshi monk city was founded, and Kuya and Honen were also meditation meditation, and Kujo Kanezane was often quiet. In the main hall, there are eight statues of Amida Nyorai (Important Cultural Property) and other Buddhist statues from the Heian period. Tendai sect. The “Shigure Sakura” in the precincts was planted when Shinran was exiled, and it is the name because it drops drops from the leaves even in fine weather around May.
In 1586, Ucchusma Ucchusma, who was the guardian of the demon gate of the Imperial Palace, was solicited to Dairyu-ji Temple in Shijo, Ura-Teramachi, and then moved to the present location in 1977. Ucchusma Myo, the secret Buddha, is the guardian of the north, and it is said that the fiery fire burns down all the uncleanness and turns it into cleanliness. Since ancient times, it has been said that amulets have been used for safe delivery and illnesses below the waist, and it is believed that there is no illness if a talisman is enshrined in the bathroom and the mantra is chanted. In front of Ucchusma-do, the second generation Kojiro Nakamura, the fourth generation Tojuro Sakata (the second generation Nakamura Ogijaku) and others are enshrined in the gataro (kappa) dedicated to improve their performing arts. There are also many.
Nature / landscape
An artificial pond in Umegahata Shobudani, Ukyo-ku. Built on the north side of the Shobu Valley, it is a long pond flooded north and south with an area of 3.2 hectares. The tunnel for irrigation created by Mitsunaga Kakukura and Mitsuyoshi during the Kanei era (1624-44) extends 190 meters from the south of the pond to Kita Saga. In 1956 (Showa 31), Upper Paleolithic stone tools, Jomon period stone tools, and earthenware were excavated from the ruins on the pond.
Kitayama cedar refers to cedar produced from the Kinki region of Japan and the northern part of Kyoto city. As a polished log, it has been heavily used in tea rooms and sukiya since the Muromachi period. In particular, the Kitayama region, which is located about 20km northwest of the city of Kyoto, and the area centered on the current Nakagawa, Kita-ku, Kyoto, prospered as a production center for Kitayama cedar. The Nakagawa area has been awarded the status of a “servant” who donates products to the Kyoto Imperial Palace along with neighboring Onosho (currently Onogo, Kita-ku, Kyoto) and Umegahatasho (currently Kaohsiung, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto). Since ancient times, we have been producing and selling polished logs. There is a characteristic forest-growing method called Daisugi tailoring that can be seen in Japanese gardens. It is designated as a prefectural tree in Kyoto Prefecture.
During the Muromachi period, the malogs in the Nakagawa area were frequently used as building materials for tea rooms and sukiya that support the “chanoyu” culture completed by Sen no Rikyu. The representatives are Katsura Imperial Villa and Shugakuin Imperial Villa. From the Edo period to the Meiji period, it seems that Ma logs in the Nakagawa area were sold not only in Kyoto but also in the Kansai area.
Events / festivals
Insect removal event
Creation festival / fire festival
A party to love camellia
Flower ceiling special visit