Kamigyo Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. Located in the center of the city, it corresponds to the former north side of Kyoto. The Kamo River flows to the east. The Kyoto Prefectural Office is also located in this ward.
Kamigyo Ward is located in the central part of Kyoto City, with Kamo River (Kamo River) in the east, Sakyo Ward, Kita Ward, and Nakagyo Ward in the west, Kuramaguchi Dori in the north, and Marutamachi Dori in the south. It is a horizontally long rectangular area with an area of 7.03 square kilometers that borders Kita Ward and Nakagyo Ward.
Traditional culture is still inherited in the ward, and historical heritage sites such as Senbon Shakado, Sokokuji Temple, and Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (as of April 2007, 12 national treasures, 232 important cultural properties, 6 historic sites) and tea ceremony There are three thousand families of the world (Omotesenke, Urasenke, Mushakojisenke). In addition, “Nishijin-ori”, which represents the industry of Kyoto, has been developed since the time of Heiankyo under the patronage of the Imperial Palace, public houses, shrines and temples, and the shogunate.
Kamigyo Ward has a long history, and from the end of the Heian period, the expressions of the upper side (Kamiwatari) and the lower side (Shimogyo), which divided the town of Kyoto into north and south, were used, and in the Middle Ages, it was about Nijo. It is said that it came to be called Kamigyo (Kami no Machi), Shitamachi (Shimono no Machi), or Kamigyo or Shimogyo on the border of the street.
In the first year of the Meiji era, Kamigyo and Shimogyo were called Kamigyo-gumi and Shimogyo-gumi, and in the following two years, 33 programs went to Tokyo and 32 programs went to Shimogyo with Sanjo Dori as the boundary.
In 1897, Kyoto was divided into two wards according to the “County Ward, Municipal Organization Law”, and Kamigyo Ward and Shimogyo Ward were organized. In 1945, Sakyo, Chukyo, and Higashiyama were divided from the two wards of Kamigyo and Shimogyo, and Showa. In 2018, Kamigyo Ward was divided into Kita Ward, and the current Kamigyo Ward (17 school districts) was formed.
Kamigyo Ward has a history of local autonomy for each school district for 130 years since the opening of the Meiji program elementary school. These 17 school districts have been inherited as community units even after the partial integration of elementary schools.
There is a wide variety of town names in Kamigyo Ward, from those whose origins can be easily imagined (such as shrines and temples, those associated with old government offices and occupations) to those whose names are difficult to understand. If you are interested, please visit the local area.
Naruyasu School District
The Seiyi School District is located at the northern end of Kamigyo Ward and borders on Kita Ward. There are many historic sites in the vicinity, and famous temples with cultural properties and historical shrines are scattered in the school district, reminiscent of history. This area was a Shinto territory of Kamo before the relocation of the capital to Heian, but during the Heian period, Shino Saiin (former site was Nananosha) was moved, and Omiya-dori is crowded with aristocrats as a trunk road leading to Kamo-sha via Unrin-in. I did.
In the latter half of the year, Imamiya Gojo and Suika Tenmangu Shrine were also seen, and Agui-in was built as a village of the east tower Takebayashi-in of Mt. Hiei on the inner side of Omiya-dera, and was crowded with monks and monks. .. Around this time, the streets of Omiya were formed. In the area that became scorched earth due to the battlefield of the Onin War, temples were gathered in the vicinity by Hideyoshi’s city planning, and a group of temples appeared, but there were many abandoned temples and few temples still exist.
Vertical towns extended on both sides of Omiya on the main street, and Rozanji Temple and Teranouchi passed through up to 1,000 to become urbanized. Omiyadori has gradually developed into a shopping district, with merchant inns, rough goods wholesalers, and kimono shops gathering as the main transportation routes. Since the Edo period, there has been a machine industry in the ward that has been known as a member of the Nishijin-gumi’s high-end aircraft. The process of Nishijin weaving is complicated, but the area is mainly engaged in subcontracting-related cottage industries, and it continues to this day as a semi-commercial and industrial area.
In the area, there are many old documents such as agreements showing the mutual aid function in the town and the rules of the neighborhood association. Even now, the school districts are firmly united and are active mainly in the self-governing hall.
Muromachi school district
Our school district has Kuramaguchi Station and Imadegawa Station on the Karasuma Subway Line, and Muromachi Elementary School (Karasuma Dori Teranouchi) is almost the center, and it is about 1 km east-west and north-south. If you go east on the Imadegawa River on Karasuma-dori, you will find the oldest and only surviving Reizeike House, the third shogun Yoshimitsu Ashikaga, whose ancestor is the Fujiwara no Teika, who is known as the winner of Hyakunin Isshu. After stabilization, there is Sokokuji Temple, which is said to have been built to train itself as a dojo for Sanzen Bendo. To the north, the Kamigorei Shrine, which is said to be the creation of the vengeful spirits of Prince Sawara and others who were sacrificed in Nagaokakyo, is enshrined, and Teramachi-dori has temples gathered by Hideyoshi in the Kamo River. I will reach you.
Heading west, the first Nichiren sect dojo in Kyoto connects to the central areas of the Nichiren sect, such as Myokenji, Myokakuji, and Honhoji, which control the 16 main mountains of Mitsu-gusoku, and further conveys the spirit of Japanese culture. The Omotesenke and Urasenke, which are the centers of the tea ceremony, continue. Our Muromachi school district has an environment where you can enjoy historic sites that are still used lively in the morning and evening. The Great Fire of Tenmei (1788) once caused great damage to this town, but it has been reconstructed with the efforts of its predecessors, and has survived many hardships even after the restoration, and is now welcoming.
Qianlong School District
It is the name of Kamigyo Ward San Program Elementary School in 1897. The name is Yutaka Yamada, the mayor of the three program districts at that time (the chief priest of Shingon-shu Daigo School Bunshuin, Nishirosanjicho). He was also a member of the academic affairs committee. The origin of the school name is that we want you to become Takamasa in the direction of Inui (northwest) of the Kyoto Imperial Palace.
Nishijin school district
The Nishijin school district has a complicated shape with many intricacies, but the approximate location is west of Horikawa-dori, east of Jofukuji-dori, north of Itsutsuji-dori, and south of Teranouchi-dori. In the first year of Onin (1467), the Onin War broke out, and the residence of Sozen Yamana (currently Yamanamachi) became one of the bases, and in May of the same year, a fierce battle was fought with the army of Katsumoto Hosokawa. At this time, the area around Yamana’s residence was called “Nishijin” in the sense of the western camp against Hosokawa in the east, and “Nishijin” was used as a place name and became established at the end of the Muromachi period.
Historically, the concept of Nishijin is that it ranges from Nakadachiuri-dori to Kuramaguchi-dori in the north and south, and from Muromachi-dori to Senbon-dori in the east and west, with a side of about 1 km. After the Onin War was over, the ruins of the camp, which had become a burnt field on one side, gradually returned to the old one, and grew into a “town of Nishijin and Hataori.”
Shogun School District
The Shogun school district is an area that extends to Ashiyamaji-dori in the north, Ichijo-dori in the south, Senbon-dori in the east, and Tenjingawa in the west. This area was once a vast wilderness and was “Nanano” (Kitano, Hirano, Kashiwano, Shino).・ It was a wild place known as one of the lotus dainos. In the first year of the Tenryaku era (947), Kitano Tenmangu was built to enshrine Sugawara no Michizane. Daihoonji Temple (Senbon Shakado), which was built in the Middle Ages, is located adjacent to the temple. In 1587, Toyotomi Hideyoshi made a flower as a place for performing various arts such as the Kitano Tea Ceremony and the Kabuki dance of Izumo no Okuni.
In the 2nd year of the Meiji era, 37 towns in this area were organized into the 3rd program in Tokyo, and were changed to the 6th group in the same year, the 5th group in the 25th year of the Meiji era, and the Shogun school district after 1945. The elementary school was built in Daimonji-cho (Motoseiganji-dori Shichihonmatsu Higashiiri) on September 1, 1902, and was relocated to the present Nishiyanagi-cho in 1890. The origin of Shogun is named after the Shogunro, which towered at one end of the corridor of Otenmon in Heiankyo.
Karaku School District
The area is 0.209 square kilometers with Chiekoin-dori in the east, Senbon-dori in the west, Ichijo-dori in the south, and Itsutsuji-dori in the north. In the Middle Ages, Elephant Hayashiji Temple and Keiai Temple were built around Senbon-dori, Itsutsuji-dori. It can be said that the development of this area begins at about this time. The old roads that are supposed to have passed are Senbon-dori in the north and south, Itsutsuji-dori in the east and west, and Sumamachi-dori, and Sumamachi-dori is the current Imadegawa-dori. Senbon-dori is the road to Senbon-enmado, and Sumamachi-dori developed as an approach to Kitano-sha, which was also known as “Omahe-dori” in the early modern period, and gradually the town was formed around it. ..
However, it is thought that this area developed as a town after the Tensho era (1573-92), and is related to the expansion of Nishijin Machinery to the west. Motoseiganji-dori and Sasaya-cho-dori in the east and west are said to have opened in the Tensho era, and Hanshuin moved from Fushimi in 1594, which is the origin of the name of Jofukuji-dori, which is a north-south street. Naru Jofukuji was also moved to its current location in the first year of Genna (1615). Gotsuji-dori is a continuation of Omiya-dori, which is lined with silk fabric traders and yarn business houses, and Sumamachi-dori also has many silk weaving shops, and the area is bustling as a town of Nishijin weaving machinery.
Sasaya 2-chome has the nickname “Imaoricho”, but Sasayacho-dori was also a new town. With the revision of the town group in 1897, this district was organized into 4 programs in Tokyo, and changed its name to the 7th district in 1897, the 7th group in 2012, and the 6th school district in 1952. It was named Karaku School District because there is a tomb of Karakumonin next to Karaku Junior High School.
Momozono School District
The intersection of Imadegawa Omiya is located in the center of the Momozono school district, and is the central area of ”Nishijin” surrounded by Horikawa-dori in the east, Jofukuji-dori in the west, Ichijo-dori in the south, and Itsutsuji-dori in the north. The name of the school district is based on the residence of Genhomitsu, “Momozonomiya,” which was run near the current Omiya Ichijo in the middle of the Heian period. The area around Ichijo Horikawa has been called “Muraun” since ancient times. It is said to be the site of Seimei Abe, a school of naturalists in the Heian period, and Seimei Shrine boasts a history of more than 1000 years. Also, during the Muromachi period, there was a mansion of Katsumoto Hosokawa around here, so the Onin War exposed him to the onslaught of the Western Army.
In the Edo period, the monzeki temple “Zuiryuji” was built and was called Murakumo Gosho. In Nishijin around this time, Omiya-dori was the main street, and the streets of the thread wholesalers called “Itoya Hachimachi” centered around Gotsuji Omiya were booming from north to south. At the end of the Meiji era, Imadegawa-dori was widened and the streetcar was opened in the first year of the Taisho era. A stop for Imadegawa Omiya was also established, and the area suddenly became the center of Nishijin. The first elementary school opened in the area was in the second year of the Meiji era. The anecdote that it was built solely at the expense of the locals tells of the prosperity of the region at the time.
The reinforced concrete Momozono Elementary School, which was completed in 1934, was also tiled on the outer wall with the donation of the school district residents, and was long popular as a symbol of the school district until the school was closed in 1995.
Ogawa school district
The Ogawa school district (former Ogawa Elementary School school district) is surrounded by Kamidachiuri-dori in the north, Ichijo-dori in the south, Shinmachi-dori (north of Imadegawa) and Karasumaru-dori (south of Imadegawa) in the east, and Horikawa-dori in the west. It is an area. As the former Oshoji-dori and Kodocho show, there were Osho-ji and Gyoganji (Kodo) in this area during the Heian period, and during the Kamakura period, Honman-ji, Mizuochi-ji, Jitsusoin, Kaiko-ji, and Hyakumanben It is said that many temples such as Hyakumanben Temple were built and developed like a gate town.
During the Onin War during the Muromachi period, this area was also hit by war, and the landscape as a temple town was lost. It was after the Onin War that houses that weave textiles began to appear and became the town of Nishijin-ori, a town of the common people. As the name implies, a stream once ran north-south in the center of the school district. This clear stream, which was called “Kokawa” in the Edo period, was reclaimed and disappeared in 1965. Ogawa Elementary School, which was a symbol of the school district, also closed its long history of 126 years in 1995 due to consolidation.
The number of old-fashioned townhouses has decreased, and the appearance of the school district has changed considerably. Although the population is declining and aging, new town development has begun while valuing the long history and traditions and contact with local residents.
Kyogoku school district
It is a long and narrow area from north to south with the boundary of Kamigoreizen-dori in the north, Hirokoji-dori in the south, Kamogawa in the east, and Sokokuji Higashi-dori in the west. When Heiankyo was built, the southern part of the school district was only slightly on the eastern end of Heiankyo, but from the 9th century to the 10th century, Fujiwara no Yoshifusa’s dyeing hall, Seiwain, which was also the residence of Emperor Seiwa, and the prosperity of aristocracy were extremely prosperous. The importance of this area in the Heian period gradually increased as the residences of aristocrats with political significance, such as Fujiwara no Michinaga’s Kamitomon Dai, began to be run.
In the Kamakura period, a prosperous world appeared in the area north of the current Imadegawa-dori, centered on temples and shrines such as Bishamon-do and Kawasaki Kannon-do. In addition, the residences of the Fujiwara no Teika, who is famous as a poet, were lined up and developed to the north. Due to the urban remodeling by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, many temples such as Rozanji Temple, Honzenji Temple, Shinyodo Temple, and Jumenji Temple are literally lined up on the east side of Teramachi Dori, and the doi that draws Rakuchu and Rakuchu so as to surround them. The formation of the town was promoted in the form of the development of this Doichi and Kamogawara. In the middle of the Edo period, most of the old Doichi and Kamogawara were reborn as towns and public land.
However, in modern times, the appearance of the town changes completely. The medical treatment hospital was relocated to the former Kajiimiya residence in 1890, the Nashinoki Shrine was built in 1818, and the Kyoto Hosei School (currently Ritsumeikan University) was also relocated in 1934. From the Taisho era to the Showa era, urbanization progressed rapidly with the help of the opening of the Imadegawa and Kawaramachi lines of the streetcar. It was in 1945 that it came to be called the Kyogoku school district. It is said that the northern part was once called the town of scholars because many scholars lived there. After all, a quiet place such as Kamogawa, which flows in front of you, near the lush green palace, would have been preferred for studying academics.
Niwa school district
The Niwa school district extends to Imadegawa-dori in the northernmost part, part of Marutamachi-dori in the south, part of Senbon-dori in the east, and Kamiyagawa in the west. It is considered to be one of the settlement areas of the ancient tribe “Mr. Hata”, and was located in the center of Heiankyo during the Heian period. The Ministry of Finance, Hyogo Dormitory, Hata Clan, Masachika, Ukonoefu, Ubeifu, etc. are located. The government dormitory town is located in the Ukyo area outside the Heian Palace, and according to “Hyogosho”, names such as Hyogomachi, Ubeifu, Toshocho, Hayatocho, and Unemecho are recognized.
In the 4th year of Tentoku (960), the inner back was on fire. After that, it was often struck by fire, and the inner lining was not rebuilt by the great fire of the first year of Antei (1227), but it was left to the rough and declined. Jurakudai was built in 1587, and the area has undergone a major transformation. In the area east of Mori-dori below, a kumiyashiki was formed from Ichibancho to Shichibancho, and castle towns appeared. During the Edo period, the generals formed six towns, including Higashi Vertical Town. Nishinokyo also formed its own group town with 17 towns and became established as a downtown area in the west.
In 1883, the Kyoto Electric Railway opened the streetcar Kitano Line (Horikawa Nakadachiuri-Tenjin-san) for “Tenjin Miki”. Later, I connected the Horikawa line and extended it from Kitano to Kyoto station. The Niwa school district currently has about 5,000 households, and although the number of children in the schoolyard, which is one of the largest in the city, has been declining with the times, more than 400 people are running well and studying. Rebuilding of the elementary school began in 1998, and great expectations are placed on the new school building.
Orthodox school district
The school district will include Ichijo-dori in the north, Shimochojamachi-dori in the south, Matsuyamachi-dori in the east, Senbon-dori in the west, and Sasayacho 2-chome and Kitaisedonokama-cho, which were closed down from Karaku Elementary School. The land of the school district has a long history in Heiankyo. In the transfer of capital from Nagaokakyo, the Heian Palace (Miyagi), which is the center of the city, was built around Senbon Marutamachi, and various government offices such as Okura and the main dormitory were built in this area. In the era of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, there was a regal Jurakudai, which was built as if it was proud of Hideyoshi’s power to unify the world, and the mansions of the princes lined up in the surrounding area. Many of these buildings, mansions, and wells have become town names and still remain in the ward. The name of the school, Masachika, is also derived from the emperor Ogimachi at the time of the construction of Jurakudai.
In 1883, the Kitano Line (Kyoto Station-Kitano) of the Chinchin train was opened in Nakadachiuri, and in the first year of the Taisho era, a tram was opened in Senbon-dori, and there were many seats and shops around the Senbon-neutral sales area. Together with the boom of Nishijin weaving, it developed rapidly. The bustle was not limited to the Shinkyogoku below, and the word “Geta Baki Kyogoku” was coined from the place where ordinary people could easily go out. Senbon-dori is also the birthplace of Japanese movies. The encounter between Shozo Makino, the lord of Senbonza Theater, who was later said to be the father of Japanese cinema, and Matsunosuke Onoe, who is known as “Matsunosuke Onoe,” caused a boom in activity photography throughout Japan, producing more than 1,000 works nationwide. It was screened in the permanent building. In this way, the land of the Orthodox School District has always been the front stage of history.
Juraku school district
There is a theory that the place name of Juraku begins with Hideyoshi’s Jurakudai, and that it was an area called “Jurakudai” before that. During the Heiankyo era, this area was adjacent to a part of the northern corner of the Heian Palace and the government office to the east. However, due to the frequent disasters, the Heian Palace area was also devastated, and the various kitchen towns in this area were also greatly affected, but the workers in Tonerimachi and Obecho formed their own seats in Japan. It played a pioneering role in the Nishijin machine industry, which produces the highest quality textiles. During the civil war of Onin and civilization, the area was once again hit by a fierce war, but as the war subsided, a new machine industry, Nishijin, was formed. Furthermore, with the construction of Hideyoshi’s Jurakudai, a new townscape was brought to the surrounding area.
After the abolition of Jurakudai, townhouses were built rapidly, and about 40 years later, in “Rakuchu Ezu” in Kanei 14 (1637), the townspeople who were already urbanized west of Horikawa-dori and east of Matsuyamachi-dori were lively. It shows the scenery of the city. After the Meiji Restoration, the town group was reorganized due to administrative reform, and it became 15 programs in Tokyo in 1897, 16th district in 1897, 16th group in 12th year, and 12th school district in 25th year. After that, it was renamed to Juraku School District in 1945. The origin of the school name is that it is located in the first corner of Jurakudai.
Neutral school district
The school district where we live is surrounded by Karasuma-dori in the east, Horikawa-dori in the west, Shimochojamachi-dori in the south, and Ichijo-dori in the north, and is located almost in the center of Kamigyo Ward. It has been 1200 years since the transfer of capital to Heian in the 8th century, and it has been hit by many natural disasters and wars until now as an urban area, but it has risen strongly.
At the end of the Muromachi period, public houses and townspeople were the earliest in Japan to form a town group called Forbidden Rokucho-cho, and even in the Edo period, it was a town ceremony such as a neutral sale ceremony. As you can see, the inhabitants have come together to prosper. This area is located between the eastern neighbor of Nijo Castle and the southwestern Nijo Castle, and is in good location with the northwestern Nishijin district. Threads and mercers gather in the neutral sales town, and the dyeing industry along Horikawa, Karasuma Dori. The top confectionery stores are famous. In addition, there are many residences of doctors, Confucian scholars, painters, and arts and crafts based on traditional arts, and we can see the state of the town of business and industry citizens who are in charge of prohibition.
However, in the Meiji era, abolished daimyo and public residences were seen everywhere, and the livelihoods targeting public martial arts were forced to change, and gradually the government offices and various educational institutions that became the center of regional administration such as Kamigyo Ward Office and Neutral Sales Police Station became. Established, it continues to this day as a quiet residential area with a fragrant culture with a good environment. In addition, the first elementary school was born in the area in 1902. It was an epoch-making big project that it was built as the 16th program elementary school in Tokyo with the devoted cooperation of the townspeople.
Izumi School District
June 26, 1945, before noon. Several bombs from one of the US Air Force B29s that came to air raid on the mainland of Japan fell on the border of the three school districts of Izumi, Masachika, and Machiken, causing many casualties.
Machiken School District
The Machiken school district is surrounded by Horikawa-dori in the east, Higurashi-dori in the west, Shimochojamachi-dori in the north, and Takeyamachi-dori in the south. This is located on the east side of the Heian Palace when Heiankyo was established in the 13th year of the Enryaku calendar (794), and one of the gates, Machikenmon, was located near the current Sawaragicho Dori Omiya. It came to be called. At that time, it was a government office town with a non-improper use agency, but when it moved from the Heian period to the Kamakura period, it became a battlefield due to the Heiji rebellion in the first year of Heiji (1159), and a fire in the first year of Antei (1227). It gradually declined. At the beginning of the Muromachi period, in 1391, the Meitoku turbulence occurred, and the area became a battlefield.
When Toyotomi Hideyoshi unified the world, Jurakudai was built in the northern part of the Machiken school district in 1586, and the houses of military commanders began to line up around it. Eventually, Ieyasu Tokugawa took over the world and opened the Edo Shogunate in place of Hideyoshi, and in 1601 he created Kyoto Shoshidai around Machiken Elementary School, and in 8th year of Keicho he built Nijo Castle as the residence of the shogun at the time of Kamiraku. Townhouses were built around it, and the town was formed. In 1867, Shogun Yoshinobu repatriated the Taisei Hokan at Nijo Castle and the Edo Shogunate collapsed, and the Kyoto Shoshidai was abolished accordingly.
Kyoto Prefectural Junior High School was built on the site of the mansion in 1870, but soon moved to become a sericulture farm. In 1906, Machiken Elementary School moved from Daikokucho to that area. A chinchin train runs from Horikawa Sanjo to Horikawa Nakadachiuri, and in 1897, a tram runs from Karasuma Marutamachi to Senbon Marutamachi, and Marutamachi Dori was expanded and the school building was forced to move to the south. In the middle of the Taisho era, a shopping street was formed on Nishi-Horikawa-dori as “Horikawa Kyogoku”. However, in preparation for the air raid in 1945, the wartime building was forcibly evacuated on Horikawa-dori, and “Horikawa Kyogoku” was removed. Horikawa-dori, 50 meters wide, appeared there.
Shigeno school district
Shigeno School District is an area surrounded by Shimochojamachi Dori (Takatsukasa Koji), Karasuma Dori (Karasuma Koji), Marutamachi Dori (Kasuga Koji), and Horikawa Dori (Horikawa Koji). In the days of Heiankyo, it was close to the Heian Palace and the land conditions were relatively good, so it became a bureaucratic town and a residence of high-class aristocrats where officials and technical staff of the Ritsuryo government live and work.
Aristocratic mansions began to be built around the town of Government in a way that filled the space. In the west, the main hospital, Sadayoshi Shigeno’s residence, Koyo-in, and in the east, Sugawara-in, Konoe-den, and Hiwa-den are prominent. Since the middle of the Heian period, Koyoin and Konoe-den have often been behind the village and have become the stage of dynasty politics. Although it was in decline, it is quite clear that the area developed rapidly due to its incorporation as a place for government offices.
However, due to the war caused by the Onin War, the ancient landscape was completely lost, and this area was transformed into a samurai camp. A typical example is the Shiba (Muromachi sect) mansion, where the martial arts team was rebuilt and became the martial arts team No. 1 (Muromachi Palace) of Shogun Ashikaga Yoshiteru. It was expanded again by Nobunaga Oda and became the palace of Shogun Yoshiaki Ashikaga. However, becoming a samurai camp in an era of political instability meant that it would also become a battlefield, and in fact, due to the conflict between Yoshiaki and Nobunaga, this land became a battlefield and was devastated.
After that, after the city was remodeled by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, it developed as a town of townspeople in the Edo period, close to the public house town. There were many privileged tradesmen who undertook money changers, kimono shops of shogunate and daimyo, and errands.
It seems that it was quite difficult to manage the town group and the town because these tradesmen were very ups and downs and had a strong competitive spirit. Of course, as if to compete with the downfall of the Omachi people, solid townspeople also rose, and cultural people like Ito Jinsai, who were firmly rooted in the area, grew up. This area was repeatedly burned down by frequent fires, many towns were abandoned due to the establishment of the vast Kyoto Shugoshoku residence at the end of the Edo period, and since the Meiji era, there are various areas adjacent to the Kyoto Prefectural Office. It is certain that the fact that it became a government office building and the place of civil life was restricted also had a great influence on the formation of the historical character of the town.
Kasuga school district
Kasuga School District is located in a long and narrow three-way block area with Kamogawa in the east, Kyoto Gyoen in the west, and Prefectural Medical University Hospital in the north. Private houses continue only south of Marutamachi Dori, and are bordered by Nakagoryozushi Dori. For this reason, residents are more closely associated with Nakagyo Ward than in Kamigyo Ward. The elementary school district is Gosho Minami Elementary School, and the junior high school district is Yanagiike Junior High School (formerly Dohda Junior High School), both of which are schools in Nakagyo Ward.
Kasuga was originally outside the Heiankyo area, and the floodplain of Kamogawa was made habitable by hydraulic engineering work. In the Momoyama period, Toyotomi Hideyoshi remodeled the city area, but at that time, temples were gathered on the east side of Tokyo Gokudaiji to form a temple town, and Odoi was built outside of it. After the Great Fire of Hoei, the temple was relocated again and the official residence and the official residence of the Shogunate were built, the Odoi disappeared, the Kamo River was opened as a new land, and the Yukaku of Higashi Sanbongi was also established.
However, after the Meiji era, it became a completely residential area due to the disappearance of public residences, and when Marutamachi Dori and Kawaramachi Dori were expanded and the streetcar opened, a shopping district was also formed. Nowadays, the structure of the town has changed drastically, and it has become a typical elderly society with 1,100 households, a population of about 2,500, and more than 20% of it is an elderly population.
Kyoto Gyoen is a national park located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Refers to the green space around the Kyoto Imperial Palace. Located in the center of Kyoto City, the area is divided into north, south, east and west by Teramachi Dori, Karasuma Dori, Marutamachi Dori, and Imadegawa Dori. The total area is 92 hectares with a range of about 700 meters east-west and 1300 meters north-south. Of this, Kyoto Gyoen, a national park managed by the Ministry of the Environment, covers 65 hectares. It has 9 gates and 6 cuts.
When the capital was relocated to the Meiji era, most of the public residences surrounding the Imperial Palace were moved and abandoned, so the Emperor Meiji, who was saddened by the devastation, ordered the greenery to make it a place for residents to relax. Approximately 140 imperial and public residences were removed and maintained as an imperial palace, and after the war it was opened as a national park. Currently, the Imperial Household Agency manages the Kyoto Imperial Palace, the Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, and the Kyoto Omiya Imperial Palace, the Kyoto State Guest House, which opened in April 2005, is managed by the Cabinet Office, and the rest is managed by the Ministry of the Environment.
In the park where many trees grow, the remains of the Imperial Household Agency and the park, including facilities related to the Imperial Household Agency and the Imperial Palace Police, such as the Kyoto Imperial Palace, Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, Kyoto Omiya Imperial Palace, Imperial Household Agency Kyoto Office, Imperial Household Agency Kyoto Escort Office, etc. In addition to the Kyoto Imperial Palace Management Office of the Ministry of the Environment, which manages the area, there is also a ground and a tennis court, making it a place of relaxation for the citizens.
There are more than 500 species of plants in Kyoto Gyoen. About 50,000 trees grow in the garden, and most of them were planted after the Meiji era. In addition to pine trees, zelkova trees, castanopsis oaks, and ginkgo trees, there are many flowering trees such as plums, peaches, cherry blossoms, and crape myrtle, and these various trees form the style of the garden and the colors of the four seasons. In addition, many flowers and mushrooms such as violets and dandelions can be seen. More than 400 species of mushrooms have been confirmed and can be observed throughout the year.
Many animals can be seen in the garden. Known as a wild bird observation site, more than 100 species of wild birds have been confirmed, of which about 20 are bred in the garden. Typical birds include white-bellied green pigeon, olive-backed pipit, Scaly thrush, and night heron. Many insects are also seen, and 55 species of butterflies, 26 species of dragonflies, 8 species of cicadas, etc. can be confirmed. In the garden, there are “Mother and Child Forest”, “Dragonfly Pond”, “Demizu no Ogawa”, etc. as places to get close to nature, and “Forest Bunko” in “Mother and Child Forest” has plants. Books about nature such as dragonflies and creatures can be placed, and you can learn about nature and history along with explanations in the storage exhibition room at the site of the Kanin Palace.
Fish live in the pond of Sento Imperial Palace. Akihito, a well-known goby researcher, published a treatise in 2019 that revealed that it is a hybrid of Loquat Rhinogobius and Rhinogobius shimahire by genetic analysis of Rhinogobius collected here. Having such an environment in the center of Kyoto city makes it a place where many people visit for walks, cherry blossom viewing, bird watching and nature observation.
Daishogun Hachijinja Shrine
Daishogun Hachi Shrine is a shrine located in Nishimachi, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Susanoo-no-Son is the main deity. The original deity was a shogun. The company name “Hachi Shrine” comes from the place where the calendar god of the Onmyodo, the eight general gods, is enshrined, and later the meaning of the eight pillars of the son of Susanoo-no-Mikoto also overlapped. At the time of the transfer of capital to Heiankyo in the 13th year of Enryaku (794), he tried to avoid the city by the idea of Onmyodo to protect the royal castle, and as a guardian of the Tenmon of the Heian palace (northwest), one of the eight general gods. The general hall was built by soliciting the directional deities and generals, who are the pillars and deities of Friday stars (Taishaku), from the foot of Mt. Kasuga in Nara. The Daishogun Hachijinja Shrine has long been revered by the private sector because it is the god who controls the good and bad of directions in architecture, relocation, and travel.
The first description in the existing literature is in “Yamatsuki”, and among the 41 companies that the messenger visited to pray for the safe delivery of Emperor Takakura’s Chugū Kenreimonin on November 12, 1178. It is listed as one company. It was devastated by the Onin War during the Muromachi period, but it was rebuilt as a shrine. When the belief of the eight shoguns became stronger in the Edo period, the general of the deity became acquainted with Susanoo-no-Mikoto (Gozu-Tennou), and the eight shoguns became the son of Susanoo-no-Mikoto or Hachioji, a genus of Gozu-Tennou. It came to be worshiped after learning.
At that time, it was said that the general was also Susanoo-no-Mikoto and Amatsuhikone, one of the eight pillars of Mikogami. The reason is that the Daishogundo is under the control of Gion Shrine (currently Yasaka Shrine) from the 3rd year of the calendar (1340) to about 100 years, and the deity of Yasaka Shrine is the deity of the shrine. Is believed to have been associated with the fact that is similar to the general god. In this way, the company name was changed to Daishogun Hachijingu, and it came to be called Daishogunsha. During the Edo period, 12 companies were popular, and the stone mark of Tenpo 11 (1840), which was erected at that time, is still in front of the gate. In the Meiji era, in the process of separating Shinto and Buddhism, the official deity was changed to Susanoo-no-Mikoto and his Mikogami Hachijo, and the company name was changed to Daishogun Hachijinja.
When Seimei died in the 2nd year of Kanko (1005), Emperor Ichijo praised Seimei’s work at that time, and said that Seimei was the rebirth of the Inari god, and in the 4th year of Kanko (1007), Seimei was on the site of the mansion. A shrine was built to enshrine. The precincts at that time were quite vast, with Horikawa-dori in the east, Kuromon-dori in the west, Motoseiganji-dori in the north, and Nakadachiuri-dori in the south. However, due to repeated wars and the urban development of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the shrine gradually shrank, and the shrine remains in a rough state. In addition, there was a mansion of Sen no Rikyu adjacent to it. After the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, the shrine and precincts were improved mainly by the parishioners, and in 1950 (Showa 25), the precincts were expanded to face Horikawa-dori.
Since the Heisei era, the hit of Baku Yumemakura’s novel, which has also been made into a manga and a movie, has caused a boom in the main character, Seimei Abe, and worshipers from all over the country have come to visit. The Abe no Seimei Millennium Festival was held in 2005 (Heisei 17), the millennium after Seimei. In 2017 (Heisei 29), the company name of Nino Torii was renewed, and it is a faithful reproduction of what was dedicated by Haruo Tsuchimikado in the first year of Ansei (1854). The company name of Ichino Torii has a five-pointed star crest on it.
Kitano Tenmangu is a shrine located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The old name is Kitano Shrine. One of the 22 companies (Shimohachi). The old shrine was a shrine shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. The god crest is “Hoshiumebachimon”. Also known as Tenjin-san and Kitano-san. Together with Dazaifu Tenmangu in Dazaifu City, Fukuoka Prefecture, it is the center of Tenjin faith, and our company is soliciting all over the country. In recent years, he has been worshiped by many examinees as a god of learning.
After the right minister, Sugawara no Michizane, was relegated to the left in response to the praise of the left minister, Fujiwara no Tokihira, and died in Dazaifu in 903, there were a series of disasters such as lightning strikes in the capital. Rumors spread that this was a curse of Michizane, and it was feared in connection with the spiritual belief. Therefore, 20 years after his death, the imperial court withdrew Michizane’s relegation and regained his official position, giving him the second rank.
In the 5th year of Tengyo (942), a girl named Hifumiko Taji, who lives in Shichijo, Ukyo, had a decree, and five years later, Taromaru, an infant of a priest in Omi Province, had a similar decree. Based on this, on June 9, 947, the most rare of Asahisan Temple (Higashimukai Kannonji), which was located in Kitano, the current location, built a shrine that enshrines Michizane by the order of the imperial court. , Asahiji Temple was designated as Jingu-ji Temple. Later, Fujiwara no Morosuke (a nephew of Fujiwara no Tokihira, but it is said that it was rebuilt into a magnificent shrine.
Goo Shrine is a shrine located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrine is a special shrine. Wake no Kiyomaro and his sister Wake no Hiromushi are the main deities, and Fujiwara no Momokawa and Michi Toyonaga are enshrined. Goo Shrine begins with Goo Zen Shrine, which was built in the precincts of Kaohsiung Jingoji Temple by Mr. Wake and enshrines Wake no Kiyomaro. The exact date of its construction is unknown.
Wake no Kiyomaro and his sister Hiromushi defended the imperial line while being exiled during the Usa Hachimangu Shrine case. Emperor Komei praised his achievements and in 1851, awarded Wake no Kiyomaro the highest rank of the Goddess of Goou Daimyojin and the first rank. This is the first time that the emperor himself has bestowed a shinkai on his vassals. In 1874, the name of Goo Zen Shrine was changed to Goo Shrine, and it was listed as a special shrine. In 1886, it was relocated to the site of the Nakanoin family’s residence (current location) near the Kyoto Gyoen Hamaguri-gomon gate by the order of the Emperor Meiji. In 1915, Hiromushi was enshrined during the coronation of Emperor Taisho. Hiromushi is called Child-rearing Myojin because it is known for its orphan relief business.
Injoji is a temple belonging to the Koyasan Shingon sect, located in Enmamae-cho, which goes up to Rozanji Temple in Senbon-dori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto. Generally known as Senbon Enmado. Known for the spring Nembutsu Kyogen. Injoji is when the Buddha sends sentient beings to the Pure Land. As the name suggests, this temple stands at the entrance to Rendaino, one of the three major cemeteries in Kyoto, Kashino, Toribeno, and Rendaino. Even now, it enshrines the statue of Enma, a judge of hell, and is a place of instruction for children to “do not do bad things” and “don’t lie.” At the temple office, you can also buy a rice cake called “Enma-sama no Omekoboshi”.
Daihoonji is a temple of the Shingon sect of Chiyama in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Gumyoji. Known as the Senbon Shakado. The principal image is the sitting statue of Shaka Nyorai (important cultural property). Known for the story of Okame and the radish burning that is a feature of December. It was also protected as a retreat for Chishakuin Noh. New Saigoku 33rd place 16th bill place.
It was founded by Gikū in the early Kamakura period in the 3rd year of Jōkyu (1221). Gikū was the grandson of Hidehira Fujiwara and built this temple after training on Mt. Hiei. According to a letter of solicitation during the Muromachi period, a person named Kishitaka, who was a follower of Mitsutaka Fujiwara, who was called “Nekoma Chunagon,” donated the precincts. Initially it was a Kusado, but the existing main hall was completed with a donation from a lumber dealer in Amagasaki, Settsu Province. In 1951 (Showa 26), Giku’s request discovered during the dismantling and repair of the main hall revealed that the main hall was the upper building of the first year of Antei (1227). In the 228th column of “Tsurezuregusa”, it is mentioned that the temple is “A thousand Buddha Buddhas are the ones of Bun’ei’s Hiyorinjo” (Bun’ei 1264-1275).
Legend has it that the carpenter’s wife, Okame, was involved in the construction of the main hall. The imperial court allowed the three sects of Kusha, Tendai, and Mantra. This main hall was built at the time of its construction and was not burned by the Onin War, and is the oldest existing building in Rakuchu and is a national treasure. At Daihoonji Temple, the relics of “Kitano Keio-do” in the precincts of the nearby Kitano Shrine (Kitano Tenmangu) are also stored. Yoshimitsu Ashikaga founded the Kitano Manbu Keikai, which reads 10,000 copies of the Lotus Sutra in 1392, the year after the war, in memory of the war dead and Mr. Kiyoshi of the Meitoku Ran (Yamana Kiyoshi Ran). , The Kitano Keio-do Gansei-ji Temple was built in 1401.
Keio-do was burnt down with Kitano-sha in the first year of Bun’an (1444) due to the turmoil of Bun’an, but when Hideyori Toyotomi reconstructed Kitano-sha with Katagiri Katsumoto as a magistrate in 1605, both It has been rebuilt. However, in Kanbun 11 (1671), it was reduced in scale and rebuilt due to aging. Furthermore, when the Shinbutsu bunri decree was issued in the Meiji era, the Buddhist temple in Kitano Tenmangu was dismantled, and the Keio-do was relocated to this temple as a Kannon-do. All the sutras that were introduced to the Keizo, the statues of the Daishi and Nidoji, and the Taiko drum rim are stored at Daihoonji Temple.
Stone statue temple
Syakuzo-ji is a temple of the Jodo sect in Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. The detailed name is Syakuzo-ji Temple, Komei Henshoin. The principal image is Jizo Bodhisattva. It is known locally as the so-called nail pulling Jizo.
It is said that the temple was built in 819 (Konin 10) by Kukai (Kobo Daishi). It was originally a Shingon sect temple, but it was converted to the Jodo sect in the Kamakura period when it was revived by Shunjobo Chogen, and it is said that it was revived by the honorary superior of Seirensha in 1614. The principal image of Jizo-do is the Jizo Bodhisattva, which is said to have carved the stone that Kukai brought back from Tang. This Jizo is called Kunuki Jizo because it removes suffering, and it has come to be called Nailed Jizo.
St. Agnes Church
St. Agnes Church is a church of the Anglican Church in Japan, located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan. The cathedral located on the grounds of the Heian Jogakuin Kyoto Campus is the cathedral of the Anglican Church in Japan, which is the center of the Kyoto parish, and also has three roles: a regional church and a chapel of the Heian Jogakuin. The name is the patron saint of Heian Jogakuin, named after St. Agnes, who was martyred in Rome during the reign of Roman emperor Diocletian. The brick, Gothic-style building completed in 1898 (Meiji 31) was designed by James Gardiner and is a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City.
The cathedral is a Gothic brick cathedral facing Karasuma-dori in the east and Shimodachiuri-dori in the north. It was designed by architect James Gardiner (who was the first principal of Rikkyo University). The cathedral, which stands on a long site from east to west, is asymmetrical and the transept is small. The doorway is on the northwest corner (Shimodachiuri side). The overall shape is chunky, but it is said to be earthquake-friendly. The appearance is characterized by a three-story bell tower in the northeast corner (Karasuma Shitatetsuka), with vertically long windows in the bottom layer, rose windows in the middle layer, and tracery windows (English version) in the top layer to avoid monotony. ing.
The interior is a three-passage basilica style, with an altar at the eastern end (Karasuma-dori side), similar to a typical cathedral. There is a worship preparation room on the southeast corner and an octagonal baptism room on the southwest corner. The interior is designed to show timber such as the hammer beam of the hut (English version) (a structure in which an arch is hung on a beam protruding from the upper edge of the wall surface), and has the characteristics of church architecture in the Meiji era. There are more than 30 stained glasses (designed by James Gardiner and made by the Japanese), including the West Rose Window, most of which remain as they were when they were completed.
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church
The Catholic St. Joseph Church is a Catholic church located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City.
Heian Jogakuin School Corporation
Heian Jogakuin is a school corporation that operates universities, junior colleges, high schools, junior high schools, and kindergartens. Aognes St. Agnes as a patron saint. It is a Christian school opened by teachers dispatched from the Episcopal Church. The headquarters is in Kyoto Prefecture.
Shiramine Jingu Shrine is a shrine located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It enshrines Emperor Sutoku and Emperor Junnin who were exiled there. The company site of Shiramine Jingu is the site of the residence of the Dojo family (public house) and Asukai family, who were the sect of Kemari. Seidai Myojin, who is enshrined in the landlord of the company, is the guardian deity of Kemari, and is now regarded as the guardian deity of general ball games and sports, and many people involved in sports such as soccer visit the shrine. You can see the Japanese national team of volleyball and the balls dedicated by the players belonging to the J League. Every year at the “Spring Festival” in April and the “Seidai Myojin Festival” in July, Kemari is dedicated by the Kemari Preservation Society at Shiramine Jingu Shrine in prayer for Taihei Tenka, National Security, and Fertility of Five Grains. Amulets related to sports are famous, and there is a lucky charm called a ring that comes true.
Ichijo Modoribashi is an Ichijo-dori bridge over Horikawa in Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto. Also called simply Modoribashi. During the construction of Heiankyo in 794, it was bridged as a bridge across the Horikawa to “Ichijo Oji”, a street that limits the north of the Kyoto area of Heiankyo. The bridge itself has been rebuilt many times, but it is still in the same location as it was then. Since the middle of the Heian period, the area from the right bank of the Horikawa to the Ukyo has declined significantly, so crossing the Horikawa, that is, crossing the return bridge, has a special meaning and has become the background for the birth of various folklore and customs.
The current bridge was rebuilt in 1995 (Heisei 7). At Seimei Shrine near Ichijo Modoribashi, there is a miniature that reproduces the previous Ichijo Modoribashi using actual materials. The state of the return bridge in the Edo period can be seen from the illustrations in “Miyako Meisho Zue”. There is also a bus stop called “Ichijo Modoribashi / Seimei Shrine Mae” on the intersecting Horikawa-dori. Also, due to its high name recognition, it is often shot in TV dramas.
Honpo-ji is the head temple of the Nichiren sect (historical temple) in Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Mt. There are three temples (Sonyoin, Kyogyoin, and Kyozoin). Nisshin, who has a strong belief as a Buddhist priest, goes to the mansion of Ashikaga Yoshinori in 1439 (Eikyo 11) and appeals directly to the garden to try to get rid of it. He explained to Ashikaga Yoshinori that “the world is disturbed because he does not believe in the Lotus Sutra.” The surprised Shogunate bans Akatsuki. Even so, Nisshin did not give up and was angry because he wrote the book “Rissho University Shinagawa”, which bet his life, and he was burned and imprisoned. In 1441 (the first year of Kakitsu), Nisshin was pardoned for the assassination of Ashikaga Yoshinori in the rebellion of Mitsusuke Akamatsu.
After being pardoned, he was devoted to Hon’ami Kiyonobu, who he met in prison, and later became the family temple of the Hon’ami family. In 1463 (Kansho 3rd year), he was punished by putting a baked pot on his head in Jizogahara, and was later called “Nabe Kaburi Nisshin”. Tohaku Hasegawa, a painter from the Momoyama period, had a friendship with Honpoji 10th generation Nippon Express, and used to stay at the Toto Kyogyoin. For this reason, many works by Tohaku and related items have been handed down to this temple. Currently living in the 96th Segawa Nissho Nuki (Shinzan from Myoshoji, Kashiwa City). En-en-en-en Temple.
According to the temple biography, Honpo-ji was built in 1436 (Eikyo 8) by Nisshin with the devotion of Kiyonobu Honami. Initially, it was located in Higashinotoin Ayakoji (currently Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto City). As mentioned above, Nisshin was imprisoned for the anger of Ashikaga Yoshinori in 1440 (Eikyo 12), but was pardoned the following year. Nisshin was imprisoned in 1463 (Kansho 3) and the temple was destroyed, but was pardoned in 1464 (Kansho 4), and the temple was rebuilt in Sanjo Marikoji (currently Sanjo Yanaginobamba, Nakagyo-ku). Was done. In 1536 (5th year of Astronomy), Honpo-ji Temple was burned down by the turbulence of Tenbunka along with other Houka-type temples in Rakuchu, and evacuated to Sakai. After 1542 (11th year of Astronomy), Emperor Nara made a statement that the Hokke sect was repatriated, and Honpo-ji was rebuilt in Ichijo Horikawa. In 1587 (Tensho 15), it was relocated to its current location by the order of Hideyoshi Toyotomi. It was burnt down by the Great Fire of Tenmei in 1788 (Tenmei 8), but was rebuilt afterwards.
Kamigyo Shrine is a shrine located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The old shrine is a prefectural shrine. The company name of Kamigorei Shrine corresponds to Shimogoryo Shrine, and the official name of the religious corporation is now “Goryo Shrine”. In the first place, during the time of Emperor Kanmu, epidemics were prevalent in various places. It is said that this is a haunting of the spirit, and it is said that the spirit of Prince Sawara (Emperor Sawara) was enshrined here in May of the 13th year of Enryaku (794). In addition, there was Mr. Izumo’s temple, Kami Izumo-ji, in this area before the transfer of capital to Heian, and it is said that our company was originally a guardian shrine.
Sokokuji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Sokokuji school in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Mannenzan. It is a Zen temple related to the Ashikaga Shogunate, Fushimi-no-miya family, and Katsura-no-miya family, and is ranked second in Kyoto Gozan. Sokokuji is the center of Gozan literature, and the painter Shubun and Sesshu are from Sokokuji. In addition, Kaenji (Kinkakuji) and Jishoji (Ginkakuji), which are famous tourist attractions in Kyoto, are the heads of the mountains of Sokokuji.
In the second year of Eitoku (1382), Yoshimitsu Ashikaga, the third shogun of the Muromachi Shogunate, applied for the construction of a large Zen Buddhist temple adjacent to the Muromachi Palace. It was completed 10 years later in the 3rd year of Meitoku (1392). Yoshimitsu requested that Zen teacher Shun’oku Myoha open the mountain, but Myoha refused to do so. If Muso Soseki, the master of Myoha, was to be opened, he said he would be happy to become a second-generation priest, so Soseki was opened. However, the second chief priest, Myoha, died in Kakei 2 (1388) without seeing the completion of the Sokokuji temple. Akiyo Soraya was appointed as the third chief priest by the recommendation of another Zen master, Shushin Gido. Meio Soraya served as a priest three times, and even when most of the cathedral was destroyed by fire in the first year of Oei (1394), two years after the completion of the cathedral, Yoshimitsu asked him to return to his post and rebuild it.
Many fires continued after that, and it was completely destroyed again in Oei 32 (1425). In the first year of Onin (1467), Shokokuji was burnt down at Aori, which became the position of Hosokawa in the Onin War (Battle of Shokokuji). In the 20th year of Tenbun (1551), he was involved in the battle between Harumoto Hosokawa and Nagayoshi Miyoshi and was burnt down (Battle of Shokokuji Temple), and so far it has been burnt down four times. In the 12th year of the Tensho era (1584), Saisho Shotai, the founder of Sokokuji’s Chuko, became the chief priest and proceeded with the reconstruction. The existing temple was built during this period. After that, there was a fire in Genna 6 (1620), and most of the temples other than the temple were destroyed by the “Great Fire of Tenmei” in Tenmei 8 (1788). Most of the extant cathedrals are reconstructions of the cultural year of the early 19th century.
In addition, the seven important towers built by Yoshimitsu in Oei 6 (1399) were also destroyed by lightning strikes in Oei 10 (1403), but the total height (spiers height) of the seven important towers is 109.1 m (360 shaku). Source: 1 E2 m), the tallest Japanese-style pagoda in history. For about 515 years until the completion of the large chimney (height 155.7m) of the Hitachi Mine in 1914, the record of the tallest structure in Japan was not broken. The seven important towers were rebuilt by moving the tower to Kitayama Sanso (later Kinkaku-ji Temple) (Kitayama Oto), but it was burnt down again in Oei 23 (1416) after Yoshimitsu’s death, and after that, Ashikaga Yoshimochi’s intention was to reign. The third-generation tower, which was rebuilt at the original location of the temple, was burnt down again in 1470 by a lightning strike.
Hokyoji is a Zen Buddhist temple located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. The sect is a stand-alone Rinzai sect. In the early modern period, it was a nun ruins temple where the princess entered. The mountain number is Nishiyama. Also known as a puppet temple or a puppet temple. Although it is not usually possible to visit, special visits are held on a regular basis.
Mugai Nyodai, a nun who is a disciple of Mugaku Sogen (Kamakura Engakuji Kaisan), opened the first scenic spot of Nyodai in Kyoto’s Itsutsuji Omiya (currently Kyokyo-ku, Kyoto). It was the 6th generation of the temple. During the Oan period (1368-1375) during the Muromachi period, the Holy Kanzeon Bosatsu, which was hung on a fishing net at Futaminoura in Ise, was enshrined at the Kenfukunanji Temple in the Keiai-ji Temple, and the Kenfukuji Temple was renamed Hokyoji. There is another biography that the daughter of Yoshimasa Ashikaga revived during the Bunki era (1501-1504).
Kyoto City Archaeological Museum
The Kyoto City Archaeological Museum is a museum of archaeological records located in Imadegawa Omiya Higashiiri, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto. It was opened in November 1979 (Showa 54), with posts centered on buried cultural properties excavated in Kyoto. For the purpose of excavation, research, and conservation exhibition of cultural properties, Kyoto City Archaeological Material Kyoto City Archaeological Material Property Ga, designated manager Kyoto management and upload.
Reproductions were taken by time, by closely matching objects, replicas, and photographs of separate exhibits. The version of the photo is a photo shoot or a hand. It was a museum and was registered as a tangible cultural property registered by Kyoto City.
Masutomi Science Museum
Masujikankan is a public interest incorporated foundation located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City. I will summarize the stone book museum.
Nishijin-ori is a collective name for yarn-dyed textiles in Kyoto. High-quality silk fabric dyed with various threads such as Nishiki, Ryoko, Zhujin, Kasuri, and Tsumugi. Nishijin is a place name in Kyoto that is named after the Nishijin army (all sides of Yamana Sozen) set up the headquarters during the Onin War. There are no special administrative areas, but the areas where there are vendors engaged in this textile are in the northwestern part of Kyoto city, roughly in Kamigyo Ward and Kita Ward, Imadegawa-dori in the south, Kitaoji-dori in the north, and Horikawa-dori in the east. There are many in the west, surrounded by Senbon-dori. It developed significantly during the Onin War, but this tradition has been handed down since the end of the 5th century, before the Onin War. “Nishijin” and “Nishijin-ori” are registered trademarks of “Nishijin-ori Industry Association”.
There are a wide variety of Nishijin-ori varieties. Of these, 12 items are “Tsukuri,” “Keinishiki,” “Weitishiki,” “Brocade,” “Zhujin,” “Showa,” “Kazetsu,” “Brocade,” “Honshiboori,” “Velvet,” “Kasuri,” and “Tsumugi.” The weaving technique of is designated as a traditional craft.
As a quick way to remember how to dress a kimono, there is the phrase “(formal wear) a dyed kimono with a woven obi, and (hobby wear) a woven kimono with a dyed obi.” Dyed kimono refers to post-dyed kimono that is dyed after weaving fabrics such as Yuzen, and woven obi means high-class yarn-dyed obi that is often woven in Nishijin. The following woven kimono refers to dyed fashionable kimono that is worn in slightly casual situations such as dressing and pongee, but this is also often woven in Nishijin. Dyed obi refers to obi with dyed patterns such as Yuzen. However, there is almost no dyeing in the costumes and Noh costumes of Miyanaka, and almost all of them are woven, so it cannot be said that “woven kimono” is a hobby.
Omotesenke is one of the tea ceremony schools. It is the head family of the Senke style tea ceremony, which succeeded the Senke family reign whose ancestor was Sen no Rikyu, and the Soke is located on Teranouchi-dori, Ogawadori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto. The origin of the tea room suspicious house issue, which symbolizes the Omotesenke, is derived from the word “suspicious flower opening today spring” and is managed by the suspicious house foundation.
The current Iemoto is Sen Sosa, the 15th generation Iemoto, counting from Sen no Rikyu. The Iemoto of generations was proud of being the tea head of the Kishu Tokugawa family (Misanke), the lord of the Kishu domain, and had a strong connection with the Mitsui family. The name of the branch family Urasenke, as opposed to the head family Omotesenke, comes from the fact that today’s hermitage is behind the suspicious sword on the main street.
Urasenke is one of the tea ceremony schools. The word “Urasenke” refers to a soke consisting of an Iemoto and his family, a corporate organization such as “Kyoan”, or a school organization that includes disciples and students. There is also. It is one of the largest tea ceremony schools.
The name of Urasenke means that today’s hermitage is behind the Omotesenke (suspicious house), the head family who succeeded the reign from Sen no Rikyu. The Soke is located in Teranouchi-dori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, and is adjacent to the Omotesenke Soke. The tea room, Kyoan, is also synonymous with Urasenke. In addition, the origin of today’s hermitage is that Sen no Sōtan, who was late for the tea ceremony where he served as the host, left behind when Sen no Sōtan asked for tomorrow’s visit. From the writing of “Untimely tomorrow”. Originally, “Senke” was the head family Omotesenke, but with the success of the Urasenke, in recent years it has become “Senke” together with the branch family Mushakojisenke.
Mushakojisenke is one of the tea ceremony schools. The Omotesenke, the head family who succeeded the family from Sen no Rikyu, is said to be the San-Senke, together with the Urasenke, which is a branch family. The decoration of the tea room is simple and concise compared to other schools, and the tea ceremony emphasizes lean and rational behavior.
Soke is located in Ogawa Higashiiri, Mushakoji-dori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, and this location is the origin of the name of Mushakoji Senke. Public holidays may now refer to the tea room of Mushakojisenke or the public holidays foundation.
Kamishichiken is a hanamachi located in Shakenagaya-cho from Shinsei-cho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto. Seven teahouses were built using the materials left over from the reconstruction of Kitano Tenmangu during the Muromachi period. This is the origin of “Kamishichiken”, and since Toyotomi Hideyoshi held a large tea ceremony in Kitano during the Momoyama period, the teahouse side presented dumplings and was greatly praised, and since then, the Nishijin ties have made it a prosperous flower district. ..
Every spring, “Kitano Odori” is performed at Kamishichiken Kabukai, where a small number of people are refining their good skills. The dance school was Shinozuka style before the Meiji era, and then Hanayagi style. Tea ceremony is learned at Saiho Nanji Temple. Currently (2015), there are 10 teahouses, geisha, and maiko, totaling 31 people.