Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kinki Region, Japan

Higashiyama Ward is one of the 11 wards that make up Kyoto City. There are many famous shrines and temples such as Kiyomizu-dera, a world cultural heritage, historic sites, scenic spots, national treasures, important cultural properties, etc., and the Sanningzaka district and Gion Shinbashi district are designated as traditional buildings preservation districts. The beautiful townscape that has passed through history is preserved, and many tourists visit Higashiyama Ward throughout the four seasons.

There are downtown areas such as Gion and Sanjo Keihan area in the ward. The plains on the left bank of the Kamo River have been urbanized from early on, but large-scale temples and shrines stand at the western foot of Higashiyama. Due to the relatively strict regulations such as landscape regulations, housing development in mountainous areas as seen in other wards has not been carried out.

Higashiyama Ward is sandwiched between the Higashiyama Mountain Range and the Kamo River in the east and west, and covers the area from Sanjo Dori in the north and Jujo Dori to the north foot of Mt. Inari in the south. It has various regional characteristics such as a commercial area between the river and the Kamo River, and a semi-industrial area along the Kamo River in the south.

Kyo-yaki and Kiyomizu-yaki, which are made mainly from Gojozaka to the vicinity of Sennyuji Temple, are highly evaluated for their arts and crafts, and are known throughout the country as a traditional industry of Kyoto along with Kyoto folding fans and Kyoto lacquerware.

In Gion and Miyagawa-cho, which are the representative flower districts of the city, traditional culture and performing arts are inherited in a moist and gorgeous atmosphere, and every year, “Miyako Odori”, “Kyo Odori”, and “Gion Odori” are held. It would be held.

In a calm natural environment, the Kyoto National Museum, Kyoto Women’s University, Kacho Junior College, etc. are scattered around the foot of Mt. Higashiyama, and female students add brilliance to the town with academic colors.

Currently, Higashiyama Ward is working toward the realization of the Higashiyama Ward Basic Plan “Higashiyama / Machi / Mirai Plan 2010”, which was formulated in January 2001 and indicates the direction of future town development.

Historic sites

Kiyomizu Temple
Kiyomizu Temple is a temple located in Kiyomizu, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Otowayama. Originally belonged to the Hosso sect, but now independently calls himself the main mountain of the Hosso sect. Saigoku 33rd place 16th bill place. The principal image is the Eleven-faced Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu. Kiyomizu-dera is a temple of the Hosso sect (one of the six sects of Nanto), and along with Goryu-ji and Kurama-dera, is one of the few temples in Kyoto that has a history from before the relocation of Heiankyo. In addition, along with Ishiyama-dera (Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture) and Hase-dera (Sakurai City, Nara Prefecture), it is one of the leading Kannon sacred sites in Japan, and is famous as one of the leading tourist destinations in Kyoto City along with Kaen-ji (Kinkaku-ji) and Arashiyama. Therefore, many worshipers visit regardless of the season. In addition, many students visit on school trips. It is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a cultural property of the ancient capital of Kyoto.

The sect of Kiyomizu-dera was originally the Hosso sect, and from the middle of the Heian period it was also the Shingon sect. It belonged to the Shingon sect Daigo sect at the beginning of the Meiji era, but returned to the Hosso sect in 1885 (Meiji 18). In 1965 (Showa 40), the then chief priest Ryokei Onishi established the Kita Hosso sect and became independent from the Hosso sect.

Shoren-in Temple
Seiren-in is a temple of the Tendai sect located in Awataguchi, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. Also known as the Shoren-in Gate Ruins. There is no mountain number. Kaisan is Saicho Daishi, and the principal image is Saicho Nyorai. The current priest (priest) is Jiko Higashifushimi from the Higashifushimi family (former count family).

Seiren-in Temple, along with Kajii (currently Sanzen-in Temple) and Myoho-in Temple, is the Sanmonzeki Temple of the Tendai sect (Tendai Sanzen-in Temple). The “monzeki temple” is a temple where the children of the royal family and the customs family enter the temple, and many Hosshinno and Nyudo Shiki (priests from the royal family who have been given the title of prince) are the priests (priests). Has served as a priest and has been proud of its prestige. Since it was a temporary palace in the Edo period, it is also called “Awata Imperial Palace”. It is also known as a temple with “Ao Fudo”, one of the three immovable temples in Japan.

Along with Kajii and Myohoin, Seirenin also originated from a small temple called Boso on Mt. Hiei. The origin of Seiren-in is Seiren-bo, which was built by Saicho in the south valley of the east tower of Mt. Hiei (currently Enryakuji Third Parking Lot). Seirenbo became the residence of prominent monks such as Ennin, Yasue, and Osamu, and was the mainstream of the east tower.

Chion-in is a temple of the head temple of the Jodo sect in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Mt. Kachō. The detailed name is Otani-ji Temple at Chion-in Temple. The principal image is Honen Shonin (main hall) and Amida Nyorai (Amidado), and Kaisan (founder) is Honen. Honen, the founder of the Jodo sect, spent the latter half of his life in a temple built in a place related to his death, and it was not until the Edo period that the current large-scale cathedral was erected. It has gained widespread worship from the Tokugawa Shogunate to the common people, and is still familiarly called “Chiyoin-san” and “Chioin-san” by the people of Kyoto.

The origin of Chion-in is the Soan, which was run by Honen, the founder of the Jodo sect, near Higashiyama Yoshimizu and the current Chion-in Seishi-do. Honen was born in Mimasaka Province (Okayama Prefecture) in the second year of Chosho (1133) at the end of the Heian period. At the age of 13, he climbed Mt. Hiei, and at the age of 15, he gained a degree (priesthood) under the monk Genmitsu. At the age of 18, he studied under the west tower Kuroya, which is located in the deep mountains of Mt. Hiei, and changed the name to Honenbo Genku by taking one letter each of the names of Genkou and Eku.

Honen read the work of Shandao, a high priest of the Tang dynasty, and opened his eyes to the idea of ​​”Senryakuji Buddha”, and decided to open the Jodo sect and went down Mt. Hiei. It was the 5th year of Jōan (1175), when he was 43 years old. The “specialized Buddha” is the idea that anyone can go to paradise if they keep chanting the name of Amida (Amitabha). This idea was severely denounced by the former Buddhist side and became the target of attacks. Honen was exiled to Sanuki Province (Kagawa Prefecture) in Kenei 2 (1207), and was allowed to return to the capital in the first year of Kenryaku (1211) four years later, but in January of the following year, 80 Died at the age of.

Honen’s residence is located near the current Chion-in Seishi-do, and was called “Yoshimizu Gobo” or “Otani Zenbo” after the place name at that time. Honen’s missionary activities here became the center of the Jodo sect for a long time, from the age of 43 when he founded the Jodo sect to the age of 80 when he died, except for the last few years when he was exiled. A mausoleum of Honen was built here and was protected by his disciples, but in the 3rd year of Karoku (1227), it was destroyed by the people of Enryakuji Temple (Karoku’s law). In the first year of the Bunryaku calendar (1234), Genchi Seikanbo, a disciple of Honen, was revived, and Emperor Shijo gave him the temple name of “Chion-in Temple of Kachoyama”. It became a base for the disciples.

Chorakuji Temple
Chorakuji is a temple of the Tokisou Yuko school in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Mt. Huangdai. Rakuyo 33 Kannon Sacred Ground No. 7 Fudasho. Located in the southeastern part of Maruyama Park. The precincts of the past were vast, including most of Maruyama Park and the precincts of Otani Sobyo (Higashi-Otani). According to one theory, Chorakuji Temple was founded by Saicho as an annex of Enryakuji Temple in the 24th year of Enryaku (805).

According to “The Tale of the Heike” and “The Tale of the Heike”, in the first year of Bunji (1185), Emperor Antoku’s mother, Taira no Tokuko, was born at the temple after the Battle of Dannoura. Be done. Ryukan, a disciple of Honen, lived in this temple and advocated a lot of thoughts. The genealogy of Takahiro was later called the Chorakuji Yoshi, Chorakuji style, and Chorakuji school after taking the name of the temple. In the 2nd year of Shitoku (1385), Ji-shu monk Kunia entered this temple and was changed to Ji-shu temple. In the 3rd year of Enkyo (1746), when the precincts were ceded to the Otani Sobyo by the order of the Edo Shogunate, it began to decline. Convert. However, in 1870 (Meiji 2), it was changed to the Ji-shu Yuko school.

In 1906 (Meiji 39), the Shichijo Dojo Kinkoji Temple, which is a leading temple of the Tokimune Yuko school, was integrated. The 7 statues of Ji-shu ancestors (made by Kei school Buddhist priests) in the Chorakuji temple were moved from Konkoji. In 2008 (Heisei 20), the storage room containing cultural properties was almost completely destroyed by a fire. At this time, all cultural properties, including the Ippen tree statue (important cultural property), were carried out by the chief priests immediately after the fire, so they escaped the difficulty.

Gion is a typical downtown area and entertainment district in Kyoto, located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. Before the Meiji era, the current Yasaka Shrine was called Gion Shrine, and it owned a vast precinct up to the Kamogawa area, so this area is called Gion (Gion Seiya is the etymology of “Gion”. reference). The town of Toriimae originally faced Shijo-dori, but after the Meiji era, it developed north and south of Shijo-dori from Kamogawa to Higashioji-dori and Yasaka Shrine.

It is one of Kyoto’s leading hanamachi, which is also famous for its maiko, and there are Minamiza (Kabuki Theater), Gion Kobu Kabukijo, and Gion Kaikan in the area. Nowadays, there are many bars in addition to teahouses and restaurants, and the old-fashioned atmosphere is faint, but the houses with latticed doors are reminiscent of the elegance of the past. The area along Shirakawa from Shimbashi-dori in the north has been selected as an important traditional buildings preservation area of ​​the country, and the area across Hanamikoji in the south has been designated as a historical landscape conservation scenic area in Kyoto City, protecting the traditional townscape. Utilization is progressing.

The intersection of Shijo-dori and Higashioji is the “Gion” intersection (often also called “Gion Ishidanshita”). There is a Keihan Bus Gion bus stop near the intersection. Originally around Yasaka, Yasaka-go, Otagi-gun, Yamashiro, and around Yasaka, Shimogyo-ku (until 1929). In addition, Gion Shrine (Kanjin-in), which is the origin of the name, got this name because Gozu-Tennou, the deity of the ritual, was regarded as the guardian deity of Gion Seisha.

Yasaka Shrine
Yasaka Shrine is a shrine located on the north side of Gionmachi, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. One of the 22 companies (Shimohachi). The old shrine was a large shrine, and now it is a separate shrine of the Association of Shinto Shrines. It claims to be the head office of Yasaka Shrine and related shrines (about 2,300 companies) whose deities are Susanoo-no-Son. Also known as Gion-san. It is also known as the body of the Gion Festival (Gion-kai).

Settled at the eastern end of Shijo-dori in the eastern part of the Kyoto basin. Maruyama Park, which is famous for weeping cherry blossoms, is adjacent to the eastern side of the precincts, and many people visit it as a tourist destination as well as gathering faith as a local Ujigami (production area). In recent years, the number of worshipers at the first shrine on New Year’s Day is about 1 million, which is second only to Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine in Kyoto Prefecture. In addition, since people can enter and exit from the north, south, east, and west, the tower gate is not closed and you can worship at night just like Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine.

Kenninji Temple
Kenninji Temple is the head temple of the Rinzai sect Kenninji Temple in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is called Higashiyama. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai, Kaisan (founder) is Minamoto no Yoriie, and Kaisan is Eisai. It is ranked third in Kyoto Gozan. It conveys a wealth of cultural assets such as Tawaraya Sotatsu’s “Fujin and Raijinzu” and Kaihoku Tomomatsu’s fusuma paintings. Yamauchi’s tower is famous for its Ikezumi strolling garden during the Momoyama period, and there is Ryosokuin, which is known for holding a large number of valuable ancient books, Chinese books, Korean books, and other cultural properties. Kodaiji Temple, which enshrines Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Hokanji Temple, which has the “Yasaka Tower,” are the last temples of Kenninji Temple. The temple name is read as “Kenninji”, but it is known locally as “Kennin-san”. It is often said that it is the first Zen temple in Japan, but this is wrong and Shofukuji in Hakata is the first Zen temple. Also known as “Kenninji’s academic side”.

It is said that it was Eisai who officially introduced the Rinzai sect to Japan. Eisai was born in Bitchū in the first year of Eiji (1141). At the age of 13, he climbed Mt. Hiei and gained the next year (priesthood). He traveled to the Southern Song Dynasty twice, in Nin’an 3 (1168) and Bunji 3 (1187). The first time he went to Song was only half a year, but when he went to Song for the second time, he attended the meditation of the Rinzai sect Huanglong sect.

Yasui Konpiragu
Yasui Konpiragu is a shrine located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is also known as “Konpira Shrine”. In the era of Emperor Tenji, Fujiwara no Kamatari built a Buddhist temple here to pray for the prosperity of the Fujiwara family, planted wisteria and named it Fujiji. During the Heian period, Emperor Takanori loved the wisteria of Toji Temple and made his beloved Awauchi samurai live there. Fortunately, he repaired the temple tower in Hisayasu 2 (1146). When the Emperor was exiled to Sanuki Province after being defeated by the Hogen rebellion, he gave the samurai Awauchi his autograph. When the Emperor died in Sanuki Province, the grieving Samurai Awauchi left the house and became a nun. He dedicated the self-written image of Emperor Takanori to the Toji Kannon-do Temple, built a mound, buried his hair, and worked day and night.

In the first year of the Jisho era (1177), when the great circle priest worshiped at the Toji Kannon-do, where the reverence of Emperor Go-Shirakawa was dedicated, the spirit of the emperor appeared, so the decree of Emperor Go-Shirakawa (1275) 1277), the Komeiin Kanshoji Temple, which enshrines Emperor Shirakawa, was erected. This is what happened to us. The mound built by the Awauchi samurai was improved and the Mikagedo (currently the Mausoleum of Emperor Chongde) was built.

Miyagawa Town is located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, and Miyagawasuji 2-chome to 6-chome is a hanamachi. It started in the Kabuki era of Izumo no Okuni, and at first it was a hanamachi where prostitutes were entertaining, and young Kabuki huts and teahouses were lined up and teenage boys (Kagema) were entertaining. Around the Edo period, young people’s teahouses (Yinma teahouses) specializing in selling colors also gathered. After that, Wakashū Kabuki and Yinma Chaya were also hit by repeated crackdowns on customs due to the three major reforms in Edo.

Until the Meiji and Taisho eras and the enforcement of the Prostitution Prevention Law in 1958 (Showa 33), it was a Yukaku, and the buildings of the Yukaku era still remain. As of 2017, it is a geisha-style hanamachi, and every spring, “Kyo Odori” is performed. Following Gion Kobu, the number of maiko is as large as 20 or more. Before the Meiji era, the dance school was the Shinozuka style, and until about 30 years ago, it was the Ushimoto style, but now the Wakayanagi style is the mainstream.

Hokanji Temple
Hokan-ji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Kenninji school located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Located near Kiyomizu Temple. The five-storied pagoda that rises in the city is commonly known as the “Yasaka Tower” and is a landmark in the surrounding area. Since the precincts are small and there are no outstanding buildings other than the tower, “Yasaka Tower” is also a common name for the temple itself. According to folklore, the five-storied pagoda was built by Prince Shotoku in the 5th year of Emperor Sushun (592) according to the dream of Nyoirin Kannon, and at that time, it was called Hokanji Temple with three Buddhist temples.

The theory of the opening of Prince Shotoku is found in “Higashiyama Hokanzenji Buddhist stupa in Yamashiroshu” (1338), and modern geographies follow this. It is believed that the sangharama at the time of its construction was the Shitennoji style sangharama or the Horyuji style sangharama. Although the tradition of the founding of Prince Shotoku is doubtful, it is certain that it is an old temple that existed before the transfer of capital to Heiankyo, and it is believed that it was built as a temple of the Korean Peninsula’s migrant clan, Yasaka. Is influential. The tiles excavated from the precincts suggest that the building dates back to the 7th century. The existing five-storied pagoda was rebuilt in the 15th century, but it was built on the site of the tower at the time of its construction, and the underground foundation stone (foundation stone of the pillar) peculiar to ancient temples remains. The temple name was originally called Yasaka-ji, and the first appearance in the literature of Yasaka-ji was the 4th year of Jōwa (837) in “Shoku Nihon Koki”.

Ryozenkannon is a statue of Kannon in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, and was erected in 1955 by the founder of the Teisan Group, Hirosuke Ishikawa, to commemorate the war dead and victims of World War II. Height 24m, weight about 500t, steel-framed concrete construction. It is operated by the religious corporation Ryozenkannon Church. Below the Kannon statue is the Chancel, where the eleven-faced Kannon of the principal image is enshrined. There is a monument to the world unknown warriors in the memorial hall, and the memorial service is held four times a day.

Kodaiji Temple
Kodaiji Temple and Kodaiji Temple are temples of the Rinzai sect Kenjinji school located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain name is Mt. Jubu, and the temple name is called Kodaiju Seizenji. This temple was built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s regular room, Kodai-in, to pray for Hideyoshi’s soul, and the temple name is named after Kodai-in, which is the name of the temple after the decoration of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (entering the Buddhist gate). It is a Zen Buddhist temple whose principal image is Shaka Nyorai, and also has the character of a mausoleum dedicated to Hideyoshi and Kodai-in. Momoyama style lacquer work is used for the interior decoration of the sacred house, and this is called “Kodaiji lacquer work”. In addition, it is commonly known as the “Maki-e Temple” because it houses a large number of lacquer furnishings that are said to be possessed by the Kita government.

Hideyoshi Toyotomi died of illness in the 3rd year of Keicho (1598). Hideyoshi’s regular room, Hokuseisho (Nene, Kodaiin Kogetsushinnen after leaving the house) applied for the construction of a temple to mourn Hideyoshi’s bodhisattva, and initially Koutokuji, where Hideyoshi’s mother, Asahi Bureau, sleeps. I tried to devote it to it (in Teramachi, Kyoto), but because it was too small, I decided to build a new temple at the current location of Higashiyama. Ieyasu Tokugawa, who became an influential person after Hideyoshi’s death, treated the Kita government office with great care and appointed the samurai under his control to the general contractor of Kodaiji Temple.

Among them, Naomasa Hori, who is a general contractor, seems to have played a major role, and a wooden statue of Naomasa is enshrined in Kaisando of Kodaiji Temple. Kodaiji Temple was founded in 1606, and was originally a temple of the Soto sect. In July 1624, Kodaiji Temple invited Kenninji Mie Shomei, the head temple of the Rinzai sect Kenninji school, to Kaisan. At this time, Kodaiji Temple was converted from the Soto sect to the Rinzai sect.

Entoku-in is one of the towers of the Rinzai sect Kenninji school, Kodaiji, located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai. Kaisan is Shomei Mie. It is known that Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s Seishitsu Kitaseisho (Kodai-in) became his home in the last 19 years, and one theory is that it is the end of it.

The enshrined three-sided Daikokuten is said to be Hideyoshi’s memorial Buddha. In addition, the north garden prepared by Kobori Enshu has been designated as a national scenic spot as the former Entoku-in garden, and the 32 fusuma paintings by Tohaku Hasegawa have been designated as an important cultural property of the country.

Sannen-zaka is a slope in Kyoto. Also known as Sannenzaka. It is famous as a tourist destination in Higashiyama. In a narrow sense, it refers to a slope that descends from Kiyomizu-zaka, which is the approach to Otowayama Kiyomizu-dera, to the north with stone steps, but officially includes a gently undulating cobblestone road to Ninenzaka to the north. Tourists are incessant because it connects Yasaka Shrine, Maruyama Park, Kodaiji Temple, Hokanji Temple (Yasaka Tower) in the north and Kiyomizu Temple in the south via Ninenzaka. The roadside is lined with souvenir shops, ceramic shops, and restaurants. It has been selected as an important traditional buildings preservation area based on the Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties. It is the stage of the Akebonotei incident at the end of the Edo period.

Sanningzaka as an important traditional buildings preservation area is wider than the street, and is located on the south side of Gionmachi, Higashiyama-ku, Shimizu 2-chome, Shimizu 3-chome, Shimokawara-cho, Minami-cho, Washio-cho, Kinen-cho, Yasaka-kami-cho, Masaya-cho And each part of Hoshino Town. In 1976, about 5.3 hectares were selected as an important traditional buildings preservation district under the name of “Kyoto City Sannen-zaka Traditional Buildings Preservation District”. After that, in 1996, the so-called “Stone Wall Alley” area was additionally selected, and the area of ​​the preservation area is about 8.2 hectares.

Rokuharamitsuji Temple
Rokuharamitsuji is a temple of the Shingon sect of Chiyama in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The mountain number is Mt. Potalaka. The principal image is the Eleven-faced Kanzeon Bosatsu (Eleven-faced Kannon). The founder is Kuya Kamito. Saigoku 33rd place 17th bill place. It was originally called Saikou-ji Temple because it originated from the dojo whose principal image is the eleven-faced Kannon, which was built in the middle of the Heian period in the 5th year of the Tenryaku era (951) by Kuya Ichi, who is known for his dance memorial Buddha.

It is said that Soraya saved many people by walking while pulling this Kannon statue in a car, chanting Nembutsu, and serving tea to the sick in Kyoto at the time when the plague was widespread. Kuya gathered 600 monks on the banks of the Kamogawa River in 963 to hold a large-scale memorial service for the Great Prajnaparamita, and there is a theory that Saikouji was built at this time. At that time, the bank of Kamogawa was a dumping ground for bodies and a funeral procession.

After Kuya’s death, in the second year of Sadamoto (977), Chuo Shinkin, a priest of Hieizan Enryakuji Temple, changed his name to Rokuharamitsuji Temple and became a Tendai Betsuin, belonging to the Tendai sect. The origin of the name comes from the Buddhist doctrine “Rokubarami”, but it is also thought to be derived from the ancient name of this place “Rokuhara”. In addition, although the notation of Rokuharamitsuji is often seen in ancient times, it is a typographical error.

Rokudouchinnouji Temple
Rokudouchinnouji is a temple of the Rinzai sect Kenninji school in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Mt. Otsubaki. The principal image is Yakushi Nyorai. August 7-10, “Rokudo pilgrimage”, known for the well where Ono no Takamura is said to have gone to the underworld. Known as “Rokudou-san”. This area is said to be “Rokudo Tsuji”. The vicinity of the location of this temple is the entrance to Toribeno (Toribeno), which was the cremation site of Heiankyo, and is thought to be the border between this world and the other world, and was called “Rokudo no Tsuji”. “Rokudou no Tsuji” is said to be in front of Rokudouchinnouji Temple along Gojo Dori (currently Matsubara Dori) and near Saifukuji Temple to the west.

It was founded during the Enryaku era (782-805), and was founded by Keitoshi, the priest of Daianji Temple in Nara and the teacher of Kobo Daishi. In addition to theories such as Kukai (“Eiyama Record” and others) and Ono no Takamura (“Irohajisho” and “Konjaku Monogatari Shu”), the temple of the great family Toribe who once lived in this area (Toribeji) , Hokoji Temple) is also said to be its predecessor. Furthermore, according to the Toji Yuri document “Yamashiro Kokuchinnouji Temple territory attachment plan” (Choho 4th year, 1002), Yamashiro Tankai was founded in Jōwa 3rd year (836).

Toyokuni Shrine
Toyokuni Shrine is a shrine located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. It enshrines Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who was given the deity “Toyokuni Daimyojin”. It was abolished by the order of Ieyasu Tokugawa with the destruction of the Toyotomi clan, but was later revived by the order of Emperor Meiji.

Toyokuni Shrine, which enshrines Toyotomi Hideyoshi, exists in Osaka Castle Park in Chuo Ward, Osaka City, where the main festival deity was located, Nagahama City, Shiga Prefecture, and Nakamura Ward, Nagoya City, where he was born.

Hokoji Temple
Hokoji is a temple of the Tendai sect in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. Known as “Great Buddha” or “Great Buddha Hall”. It was built by Mokujiki Oto as a temple to enshrine the Great Buddha (Rohsha Nabutsu), which was proposed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

Toyotomi Hideyoshi applied for the construction of a large Buddha in place of the Great Buddha of Todaiji Temple, which was burnt down by Matsunaga Hisahide in 1586. Initially, it was planned to be built near the Kenkoin Temple in the south of Tofukuji Temple in Higashiyama, with Takakage Kobayakawa as the Fushin Bugyo and Kokei Sochen of Daitokuji Temple invited to open the mountain. The construction of the Great Buddha and the Great Buddha Hall was temporarily suspended, and the relocation of the Kenkoin was also canceled halfway (thanks to the fact that the Kenkoin was divided into north and south).

Later, in 1588, the location was changed to the site of the Jodo Shinshu / Bukkoji sect Motoyama Bukkoji Temple on the north side of the Renka Ouin Temple (Bukkoji Temple is the current location of Hideyoshi’s villa “Ryu Wojo”. Moved to). Hideyoshi assigned the wood eclipse of Mt. Koya, who was skillful in large-scale construction, to the construction. The Daibutsuden was built facing the west on Yamatooji, which runs north-south through the eastern bank of the Kamo River, and Hideyoshi also built the Fushimi Kaido on the west side of Yamatooji. Hideyoshi moved Gojo Ohashi to Rokujobomon and went outside Kyoto. It was used as an exit and a flight to visit the Great Buddha.

Imahie Shrine
Imahie Shrine is a shrine located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The old shrine is a prefectural shrine. Currently, it is a stand-alone shrine that does not belong to the Association of Shinto Shrines. The old name was Imahie Shrine, and after the Meiji era, Imahie Shrine.

In the first year of the Eiryaku calendar (1160), Emperor Go-Shirakawa solicited Sanno Seven Shrines (Kami Seven Shrines) from Hiyoshi Taisha Shrine as the guardian shrine of the temple’s Imperial Palace, Hoju-ji Temple, and Shin-Hiyoshi Shrine to the south of the present. It is built as. At the same time, the Myohoin Temple was relocated from Yamauchi of Hieizan Enryakuji Temple to the west side of Gion Shrine (Yasaka Shrine) in order to make it the Betsutoji Temple of Imahie Shrine. In addition, Shin-Kumano Shrine is also built as a guardian shrine, and Rengeoin (Sanjusangendo) is built as a guardian temple.

Myohoin is a temple of the Tendai sect in the front town of Myohoin, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is called Naneizan. The principal image is Samantabhadra, and Kaisan is Saicho. The monzeki is a special temple where the children of the royal family and aristocrats live in the past, but Myohoin is a prestigious temple that has been named alongside Seiren-in and Sanzen-in (Kajii-mon). It is a temple. It is also known as a temple related to Emperor Go-Shirakawa and Hideyoshi Toyotomi. In the early modern period, Hokoji Temple and Rengeoin (Sanjusangendo) were under control, and Sanjusangendo has been a Buddhist temple under the jurisdiction of Myohoin since modern times.

Myohoin is located in the southern part of Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, where famous shrines and temples are concentrated. The vicinity is the former site of Hoju-ji Temple, which was the residence of Emperor Go-Shirakawa, and the neighborhood is Chizumiin, Kyoto National Museum, Hoju-ji Temple (Big Buddha), Sanjusangendo, and Imahie Jingu. ), There are the Tomb of the Emperor Go-Shirakawa Hojuji Temple. The magnificent Kuri (national treasure) and Daishoin (important cultural property) built in the early modern period are built, but the temple is not open to the public except during special exhibitions such as autumn.

Chishakuin Temple is the head temple of the Shingon sect Chishakuin Temple in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain name is called 500 Bussanji, and the temple name is called Negoroji. The principal image is Vairocana of the Kongokai, and Kaisan is the Gen’yu. The main temples of the Chiyama school include Naritasan Shinshoji Temple (Narita Fudo) in Narita City, Chiba Prefecture, Kawasaki Daishi Heimaji Temple in Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture, and Takaoyama Yakuoin Temple in Hachioji City, Tokyo. The temple crest is the Kikyo mon. The history of Chishakuin is complicated, and it involves two temples, the Daidenboin Temple in Kishu and the Shounji Temple built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi for his beloved child Tsurumatsu, who died at the age of three.

Chishakuin was originally the head of the Daidenboin Temple (Negoroji Temple) in Kishu Negoroyama (now Iwade City, Wakayama Prefecture). Daidenhoin is a temple built by the Shingon Buddhist monk Kakuban on Mt. Koya in 1130, but due to doctrinal conflict, Kakuban left Mt. Koya and moved to Mt. Moved and established the Shingon Shingon sect. Chishakuin was built by a monk named Shinkenbo Nagamori as the head of this Daidenboin during the Nanbokucho period, and was a school in Negoro Yamauchi.

Yogenin is a temple of the Jodo Shinshu sect in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. It is located on the east side of Rengeoin (Sanjusangendo). The temple name of Yogenin was taken from the name of Nagamasa Azai. It was originally the Tendai sect.

It was founded in 1594 by Hideyoshi Toyotomi’s concubine, Yodo-dono, as a memorial service for his father, Nagamasa Azai, and his grandfather, Hisamasa Asai. Yogenin is the name of Nagamasa Azai and is the family temple of Mr. Asai. Kaisan is a Buddhist priest of Mt. Hiei, who is the mainstream of Mr. Asai. On May 7, 1616, the second shogun Hidetada Tokugawa’s Oeyo-in (younger sister of Yodo-dono, Jiang) mourned the bodhisattva of Yodo-dono and Toyotomi Hideyori, who were the founders of this Yodo-dono.

Hosei-ji Temple
Hoseiji is a temple of the Jodo sect Nishiyama Zenrinji school located in Honmachi, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Daihizan. The principal image is the Senju Kannon Bodhisattva. Rakuyo 33 places Kannon sacred place 20th first bill place. It is said that Fujiwara no Tadahira was founded for an extension of 3 years (925). It prospered as a temple of Mr. Fujiwara, but then declined and continues to the present day.

Sanjusangendo is a Buddhist temple located in Sanjusangendo, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The official name of the building is the main hall of Renkaouin. It is an out-of-bounds Buddhist temple of the Tendai Sect Myohoin Temple in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, and is owned and managed by the temple. Originally a Buddhist temple built by Emperor Go-Shirakawa in his own palace. The principal image is Senju Kannon, and the name of Renka Ouin is derived from the other name of Senju Kannon, “Renkaou”.

Originally, there was the Hoju-ji Temple built by Emperor Go-Shirakawa (1127-1192) as a detached palace. The Sanjusangendo, which is the main hall of the Renkaouin, was built in one section of the vast Hoju-ji Temple. The “Hojuji Mausoleum” where the Emperor sleeps is on the east side of Sanjusangendo. It is said that the Emperor ordered Taira no Kiyomori to cooperate with the materials for the construction and completed it on December 17, 1165 (January 30, 1165). At the time of its construction, it was a full-scale temple with a five-storied pagoda, but it was destroyed by fire in the first year of its construction (1249). Only the main hall was rebuilt in 1266 (Bunei 3). The hall is now called “Sanjusangendo”, and at that time it was painted in vermilion and the interior was decorated in full color. The architectural style belongs to Japanese style.

New Kumano Shrine
Imakumano Shrine is a shrine located in Imakumano Naginomori-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. The old shrine is a village shrine. Kumano Shrine and Kumano Wakaoji Shrine are collectively called “Kyoto Mikumano”. The old name is Shin-Kumanosha. In the first year of the Eiryaku calendar (1160), at the order of Emperor Go-Shirakawa, he solicited Kumano Gongen from Kii Province and Kumano Sanzan as the guardian shrine of Hoju-ji Temple, and by Taira no Kiyomori as the new shrine and annex of Kumano Sanzan. It was founded. In the same year, Imahie Shrine was also built as a guardian shrine, and in 1165, Rengeoin (Sanjusangendo) was also built as a guardian temple.

Emperor Go-Shirakawa worshiped Kumano Gongen enough to visit Kumano Miyama 34 times in his life, but it was difficult to visit frequently because Kii Province was so far away. Therefore, Kumano Gongen was solicited near the Hoju-ji Temple where he lived, and the company was erected. Since then, it has prospered as the center of Kumano worship in Kyoto.

Sennyuji Temple
Sennyuji Temple is the head temple of the Shingon sect Sennyuji school in Yamanouchi Town, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Higashiyama or Izumiyama. The principal image is the third Buddha of Shaka Nyorai, Amida Nyorai, and Maitreya Nyorai. Although it is said to have been created in the Heian period, the actual opening of the mountain was Shunjo Tsukiwa in the Kamakura period. In the temple area that spreads out at the foot of Mt. Tsukiwa, one of the 36 peaks of Higashiyama, the tombs of successive emperors and royal families, from Emperor Go-Horikawa and Emperor Shijo in the Kamakura period to Emperor Gomizuo in the Edo period and Emperor Komei at the end of the Edo period. It is called the temple as the imperial family temple.

It is known as a temple related to the imperial family along with Ninna-ji and Daikaku-ji, but the timing and circumstances of its creation are not very clear. According to folklore, in the 3rd year of Saikō (856), the Minister of the Left, Otsugu Fujiwara, who follows the tradition of the Fujiwara style family, created a mountain cottage with a god Shujo as the founder. Initially called Horinji, it was later renamed Senyuji. According to “Shoku Nihon Koki”, Fujiwara no Otsugu died in the 10th year of Jōwa (843), so if you believe in the above tradition, it was built as a family temple based on the wishes of Fujiwara no Otsugu. It means that it was done.

Another lore is Kukai, the founder. In other words, it is said that Kukai originated from Horinji Temple, which was created in this area during the Tencho era (824-834), and was rebuilt by Otsugu Fujiwara in Saikō 2 (855) and renamed Senyuji Temple. is there. There is also a tradition that Kukai created the temple in the 2nd year of Daido (807), and it is said that this temple later became Imakumano Kannonji Temple (located in Sennyuji Yamanouchi, the 15th temple of the Saigoku Kannon Pilgrimage Site). Say. Taken together, it is believed that the predecessor temple, which was created in the early Heian period, was devastated in the latter half of the Heian period, but was revived in the Kamakura period.

Kaikoji Temple
Kaiko-ji is a temple of the Shingon-shu Sennyuji school, which is located in Sennyuji Yamanouchi-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. It is one of the towers of Sennyuji Temple and is also called Jouroku-san. The official name is Kaiko Ritsuji. The principal image is Shaka Nyorai. Kyoto 13 Buddha Sacred Ground No. 3 Fudasho. Izumiyama Seven Lucky Gods Tour No. 2 (Benzaiten) Fudasho. In the 2nd year of Antei (1228) in the Kamakura period, when Kaikoji was built to the west of the Higashibori River in Omiya Hachijo by the Jyogyo Kumiteru who returned from the Southern Song Dynasty, the statue of Shaka Nyorai of Joroku, a collaboration between Unkei and Tankei father and son, was the principal image. It was greeted and became the Imperial Palace of Emperor Go-Horikawa. Dou was burned down by the Onin War, but the statue of Shaka Nyorai, which was barely left unburned, was moved to the east of Ichijo Modoribashi and then to the east of Sanjogawa, and then in 1645, at the request of Emperor Gomizuo. Moved to and became the head of Sennyuji Temple.

Emperor Goyosei’s Nyogomonin worshiped Shaka Nyorai at this temple. There is also a tradition that Shaka Nyorai was injured in place of Emperor Gomizuo, and Asano was revered as the guardian Buddha of the emperor, and was later worshiped by the common people under the name of “Jouroku-san.” Benzaiten is enshrined as the second in the Izumiyama Shichifukujin Tour held on the second Monday of January (Coming-of-Age Day) every year.

Sokujo-in is a temple of the Shingon sect Sennyuji school located in Sennyuji Yamanouchi-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. One of the towers of Sennyuji Temple, the principal image is Amida Nyorai. The mountain number is Mt. Komei. Known for the “25 Bodhisattva memorial service” held in October every year, there is a tomb of Nasu no Yoichi in Yamauchi. Known as Yoichi Nasu. Izumiyama Seven Lucky Gods Tour No. 1 (Fukurokuju) Fudasho.

Sokujo-in has been located in Sennyuji Yamanouchi since the Meiji era, but when it was first built, it was located in Fushimi-Momoyama (currently Momoyama, Fushimi-ku). According to the geography of the early modern period, Komyō-in Temple, which was built by Genshin, a priest of the Keishin priest, started in 992, but this is not a tradition. The actual founder is believed to be Toshitsuna Tachibana, a child of Fujiwara no Yorimichi, a poet and a poet known as Fushimi Choja.

Unryu-in is a temple of the Shingon sect Sennyuji school located in Sennyuji Yamanouchi-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Sennyuji Temple Betsuin. The mountain number is Ruriyama. The principal image is Yakushi Nyorai. Saigoku Yakushi 49 Sacred Ground No. 40 Fudasho. Izumiyama Seven Lucky Gods Tour No. 5 (Daikokuten) Fudasho.

During the Nanbokucho period, it was built together with Ryukain in 1372 with the opening of Takeiwa Seisaku at the request of Emperor Gokogon of the Northern Court. It is said that it was developed by the devotion of the imperial family such as Emperor Go-Enryu, Emperor Go-Komatsu, and Emperor Shoko. In the second year of Bunmei (1470), it was burnt down in the aftermath of the Onin War, and suffered damage that only left the statues of Emperor Gokougon and Emperor Goenfu. In the early Edo period, the Ryukain, which was adjacent to Emperor Go-Enyu, was annexed by the sect of Nyoshu.

Raigoin is a temple of the Shingon sect Sennyuji school in Yamanouchi-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. The mountain number is Mt. Meio. The principal image is Amida Nyorai. The tower of Sennyuji Temple. Forbidden Bodhisattva Sennyuji Temple Betto, also known as Sennyuji Temple (“Miji” means Sennyuji Temple). Izumiyama Seven Lucky Gods Tour No. 4 (Takashi Nunobukuro) Fudasho. According to the temple, Kukai (Kobo Daishi) enshrined the statue of Sanpo Aragami, which he felt in Tang (China), and opened the visiting hospital in the first year of Daido (806). Approximately 400 years later, in the 6th year of Kempo (1218), Sennyuji Tsukio, the elder of Sennyuji Temple, maintained the temples with the devotion of Nobufusa Fujiwara and became a child temple of Sennyuji Temple. , The temple was burned down and devastated by the Onin War in 1468.

After that, in the 2nd year of Tensho (1574), the founder of Chuko, Toshiie Shun, revived with the assistance of Nobunaga Oda, and in the 2nd year of Keicho (1597), Toshiie Maeda rebuilt the temples, and the Tokugawa family also provided assistance. With the financial foundation in place, the reconstruction was finally achieved. On March 14, 1701 (Genroku 14), an incident occurred in the Edo Castle Matsuno Oro corridor where Naganori Asano (Takumi Asanouchi), who was the daimyo of the Akaho domain, slashed Yoshinaka Kira (Uenosuke Kira). Naganori Asano was seppuku, and the Asano Ako family was cut off. After leaving Ako, Yoshio Oishi, a vassal of Asano, relied on the then elder Sennyuji Izumi, who was a priest at the time, and Kazuhisa Takuwa, who was the chief priest of the Raigoin, and became a Danka of the Raigoin and received a danka system from Yamashina. It is said that he settled down and spent a lot of time at the hospital.

Imakumano Kannonji
Imakumano Kannonji is a temple of the Shingon sect Sennyuji school located in Yamanouchi-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. It is one of the towers of Sennyuji Temple, and the official temple name is Kannonji. The mountain number is Mt. Shinnachi. The principal image is the eleven-faced Kanzeon Bosatsu (secret Buddha). Saigoku 33rd place 15th bill place. In the second year of Daido (807), the year after Kukai learned Shingon Esoteric Buddhism in Tang, he found light coming from Higashiyama, and when he came to the area, he looked like an old man. Kumano Gongen has appeared. Kumano Gongen handed Kukai an eleven-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue of Amaterasu Ogami’s work and told him to build Ichiu here to worship this Kannon Bodhisattva and rescue sentient beings.

Therefore, Kukai himself carved an eleven-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue of one shakuhachi, put the one-inch eight-minute statue he received inside as a Buddha inside, and built Ichiu here as Kumano Gongen said. .. This is said to be the beginning of this temple. In the 3rd year of Konin (812), the temples were built with the support of Emperor Saga, and it is said that they were completed during the Tencho era (824-833). Furthermore, when the minister of the left, Fujiwara no Otsugu, applied for the construction of a cathedral in a vast temple area, it was continued as a project to mourn the bodhisattva of Otsugu by his child, Fujiwara no Hartsu, even after Otsugu’s death. ) Was completed as Horinji Temple.

Tofukuji Temple
Tofukuji Temple is the head temple of the Tofukuji Temple of the Rinsai sect in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Mt. It prospered throughout the Middle Ages and early modern times as the fourth Zen temple in Kyoto Gozan. Although the scale has been reduced in the modern era, it is still a large temple with 25 temples (Yamauchi temple). It is famous as a famous spot for autumn leaves. Also known as the “Tofukuji temple”.

Tofukuji Temple is located at the southeastern tip of Higashiyama Ward in Kyoto City, near the border with Fushimi Ward, and Sennyuji Temple is in the east. In this area, there was a huge temple of Mr. Fujiwara’s temple, Hoseiji, which was built by Fujiwara no Tadahira in the second year (924) (Hoseiji continues as a small temple near JR Keihan Tofukuji Station. ). In Katei 2 (1236), the Regent Kujo Michiie applied for the construction of a large temple to enshrine the statue of Shaka Nyorai, which is 5 heights (about 15 meters) in height, and the temple name is Todaiji Temple in Nara. We took each letter from the two major temples of Kofukuji and named it “Tofukuji”. The construction of the Buddha Hall, which enshrines the five-length Shaka Nyorai statue completed in the first year of the construction (1249), began in the first year of the extension (1239), and was completed in the seventh year (1255). ..

Meikoji Temple
Meikakuji is a temple of the head temple of the Puhua Masamune in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City. The mountain number is Mt. The principal image is the statue of Zen Master Hui-juk. Shakuhachi main dojo. In historical drama, Komuso often wears a box with the word “light and darkness” on it, which seems to have a religious meaning at first glance, but in reality it means “I belong to Meikakuji Temple”. Is.

In the 2nd year of Kenmu (1335), Akifu Tengai founded Hui-juk Ryoen in Sanjo Shirakawa, Kyoto, asking him to open the mountain. It was abandoned due to the abolition of Buddha in 1871, but the statue of Hui-juk Ryoen Zen Master, which was owned by the temple, was entrusted to Zennein, the tower of Tofukuji Temple, and was entrusted to the temple in the Meiji era. In 23 (1890), it was reconstructed as a “light and dark church”. Furthermore, in 1950, it was revived as a “religious corporation, Puhua Masamune Meikoji” by borrowing it from Zenkeiin. Zenkeiin has Osho (Zenkeiin chief priest) and the shakuhachi chief priest who inherits the legal system of the light and dark shakuhachi.

Cultural tradition

Kyoto National Museum
The Kyoto National Museum is a museum run by the National Institutes for Cultural Heritage. It opened in May 1897 (Meiji 30). The current director is Johei Sasaki. It collects, stores, and exhibits cultural properties centered on the culture of Kyoto from the Heian period to the Edo period, and conducts research and dissemination activities related to cultural properties. In addition to regular exhibitions, special exhibitions are held two to four times a year.

The exhibition halls are the Meiji Kotokan (formerly known as the main building), which is the former Imperial Kyoto Museum main building designed by Katayama Tokuma, an engineer of the Imperial Household Ministry, and the Heisei Chishinkan, which was completed in 2013. The Meiji Kotokan will be used as a special exhibition hall, and the Heisei Chishinkan will be used as a normal exhibition hall. The collection includes 27 national treasures and 181 important cultural properties (as of March 2006). In 1969 (Showa 44), the old main building (Meiji Kotokan), front gate (main gate), bill counter and sleeve wall were designated as national important cultural properties as the “former Imperial Kyoto Museum”. In 2008 (2008), the Technical Information Reference Center (formerly the Kyoto Museum Display Storage Warehouse) was registered as a national registered tangible cultural property.

Previously, there was a “new building” (normal exhibition hall) designed by Keiichi Morita, an emeritus professor at Kyoto University, which was completed in 1965 and opened the following year at the location of the Heisei Chishinkan. This “new building” was dismantled and the Heisei Chishinkan (designed by Yoshio Taniguchi, construction started on January 31, 2009, completed in August 2013) with a normal exhibition function was constructed. The South Gate Museum Shop, designed by Yoshio Taniguchi, opened in advance in 2009. Due to the dismantling of the old normal exhibition hall and the construction of the Heisei Chishinkan, the normal exhibition was suspended for a long time, but it was resumed on September 13, 2014 after the exhibition room was dried after the completion of the Heisei Chishinkan (special). The exhibition continued during that time).

Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum
Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum is a private museum located in Kiyomizu 3-chome, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. Approximately 10,000 items are stored, mainly Japanese crafts such as lacquer work, metalwork, ceramics, cloisonne, wood carving, fang carving, and embroidery paintings made from the end of the Edo period to the Meiji era, and some of them are exhibited. There is. The founder and the first director is Rinyo Murata.

When the Meiji government began its policy of promoting the breeding industry in the Meiji era, as part of this policy, it was decided to foster an export craft industry with high artistic value in order to earn foreign currency. The government encouraged craftsmen to exhibit their crafts at the National Industrial Exhibition and international expositions held outside Japan, and the swordsmen, armor, furnishings, and Buddhist craftsmen who had lost the samurai patron , Responded by challenging the production of metalwork, lacquer work, ceramics, cloisonne works, etc. for art ornamental use.

When exhibiting or exporting crafts to international exhibitions, attention was paid to marketing, such as adopting designs that match the aesthetic sense of Westerners. Other than some of these crafts being donated or purchased by the royal family, there were few excellent products left in Japan because they were mainly for export, and research had not been carried out for a long time. Under these circumstances, in the 1980s, Rinyo Murata met an inro from the Meiji era at an antique shop in New York and woke up to its charm.

Since the establishment of the main building, exhibitions of Meiji crafts have been touring in museums and art galleries around the world, and Meiji crafts have been featured in media such as television and art magazines, and the re-evaluation of Meiji crafts in Japan has dramatically increased. Proceeded to.

Ryozen Museum
Ryozen Museum is a history museum located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. The only museum that specializes in the Meiji Restoration at the end of the Edo period. Valuable relics and materials such as the shogunate scholars who were active in Kyoto at the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, the shogunate side, and other public houses and painters are exhibited. In 1968, Konosuke Matsushita, the chairman of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., established the “Sacred Mountain Awards” in cooperation with Kansai business people. Opened in 1970. The first director is Konosuke Matsushita.

On the 1st floor, there is a sword corner used by Ryoma Sakamoto, Toshizo Hijikata, and Isami Kondo, and on the 2nd floor, there is a related / commentary corner that you can see in pictures, an electronic paper play, and a model corner that reproduces the Ikedaya and Teradaya incidents. From January to March 2019, renewal work was carried out to increase the collection of materials, and some 147 materials of the Wuxi Bunko in Yokohama City were transferred.

Kanji Museum & Library
In 2014, he signed an agreement with Kyoto City on the site of Yaei Junior High School, and announced a plan to build a Kanji Museum / Library and headquarters office. The Kanji Museum & Library, commonly known as the Kanji Museum, opened on June 29, 2016.

Furukawacho Shopping Street
Furukawacho Shopping Street connects Sanjo-dori with Shirakawa (Yodogawa water system), which is a shopping street in Furukawa-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. It is a block from Furukawacho Dori Sanjo Dori to Shirakawasuji, and is a 200m long shopping street. In the olden days, travelers and merchants came and went on the Wakasa Highway. It was also used as a front-door market as Chion-in, and there were many shops selling fruits and vegetables, fresh fish, salted fish, etc., centering on food. There are stores such as fresh fish, raw meat, vegetables, fruits, miscellaneous goods, knife sharpening, soup stock, pharmacies, cotton candy stores, cafes, and attractions where you can experience ninja. The guest house is also substantial.

It was the end point of the Wakasa Highway and was designated as Furukawacho Dori. Regarding the birth, it is stated in “Kyoto Bome Magazine” that the Wakasa Kaido, which had been abandoned for a long time as a field, was restored in 1666 (Kanbun 6) and became Furukawa-dori. From Edo to the Meiji era, it was called “East Nishiki”. Incorporated in April 1964. Arcade was set up around 1970. 1996 Implemented point card business at all stores. 2004 Received KES (“Environmental Management System Standard”) certification. First in the shopping district.

Natural space

Higashiyama is a general term for mountains on the eastern side of the Kyoto Basin. It may also refer to the area at the foot of the mountain. It is common to go from Mt. Hiei (Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture) to Mt. Inari (Fushimi Ward, Kyoto City) to the south. In a narrow sense, there is also a direction that points south from Nyoigatake (Mt. Kagami) (Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City) in the south of Yamanakaetsu, not including Mt. Hiei.

“Higashiyama” is not the name of a single mountain system, but the mountain that can be seen to the east from the center of Kyoto. Therefore, while Mt. Yoshida, which is separated from other mountains by Shishigatani, is included, the mountains of the Hira Mountains that extend to the north of Mt. Hiei are not included. The name “Higashiyama” was used in the Heian period in ancient times, but it became popular after the Muromachi period.

The mountains of Higashiyama are collectively called “Higashiyama 36 peaks” (Higashiyama Sanjuroppo). At the beginning of the word’s formation, it did not mean that it had 36 peaks, but it was likened to the gentle series of Higashiyama mountains from Rakuchu, and about 36 peaks. ..

Maruyama Park
Maruyama Park is a park located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is designated as a national scenic spot. The park area is adjacent to Yasaka Shrine and Chion-in. Also written as Maruyama Park. It is a famous place for cherry blossoms represented by “Gion weeping cherry tree”. Until the Meiji Restoration, it was part of the precincts of Yasaka Shrine (then Gion Kanjinin), Anyoji Temple, Chorakuji Temple, and Gionji Temple (Sourinji Temple). As part of the Haibutsu Kishaku in the first year of the Meiji era, the land was confiscated by the government in 1871 (Meiji 4), and in 1886 (Meiji 19) a park with a total area of ​​about 90,000 square meters was established.

In 1887 (Meiji 20), it was transferred to Kyoto City and became the first city park in Kyoto City. The garden plan was compiled by Goichi Takeda. Artificial mineral spring sanatoriums and rental seats were lined up to form a joyous place, but in 1912 (Taisho 1st year) after being burned down by a fire, Ogawa Jihei created a Japanese garden with a pond-style tour, which is now in its current form.

The Maruyama Park Concert Hall, which opened in 1927, is used as an outdoor hall that can accommodate about 3,000 people. There are also restaurants, teahouses, and statues of Ryoma Sakamoto and Shintaro Nakaoka built by the efforts of former Liberal Party member Seiei Imahata. There are also many historic sites such as Sorinji Temple, Saigyoan, and Bashoan. There was a riding ground in the past, but it is now abolished.