The 3rd arrondissement of Paris, also known as the arrondissement of Temple, is one of the 20 arrondissements of the capital city of France. A “sophisticated village”, this arrondissement is a rather residential area with a quieter part of the ancient Marais neighbourhood, possibly one of the best places to live in Paris. The museums of the 3rd arrondissement are among the best anywhere. There are several good open air markets and lots of great local designer clothing stores.
The arrondissement situated on the right bank of the River Seine, is the smallest in area after the 2nd arrondissement. The Third arrondissement of Paris partly covers the historic district of Le Marais. It stretches from the Place des Vosges to the Place de la République and from Boulevard de Sébastopol to Boulevard Beaumarchais. The arrondissement contains the northern part of the medieval district of Le Marais.
The 3rd arrondissement of Paris is the result of the extension of the city in the 13th and 14th centuries, the enclosure of Charles V. After some security incidents at Ile de la Cité, King Charles V decided to move to Hôtel Saint Paul in Le Marais. This relocation of the Royal Court was followed by all the important people who wanted to stay near the King and they built beautiful private mansions (hôtels particuliers) around the new royal palace. Some of these private mansions host today interesting public or private museums.
The 3rd arrondissement of Paris offers a harmonious blend of cultures. Discover the richness of its architectural and artistic heritage through its streets lined with historic buildings and museums. Take a tour of the luxury boutiques, but especially of the neighborhood’s historic kosher restaurants and patisseries, also the Chinese part of Marais district in full expansion.
The 3rd arrondissement is known for its beautiful architecture, beautiful shops, and art galleries. In its historic center is the Jewish quarter which has buildings dating back to the Middle Ages, including the oldest residence in the capital, rue de Montmorency. This historic district straddling part of the 4th arrondissement, with its chic mansions and medieval half-timbered houses, is also called “le Marais”. While strolling through the streets of the district, don’t miss the opportunity to discover its fabulous buildings, witnesses of Paris’ past.
Buildings and museums tell the story of France. The National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts to admire inventions of all kinds and the original model of Bartholdi’s Statue of Liberty. Next, take a tour of the Picasso Museum within the walls of the Hôtel Salé, which houses many of the master’s paintings, as well as works from his personal collection.
This district is very appreciated by locals for its central location and quality of life. Explore the Marais district, built around the former church of the Order of the Temple. Among the most remarkable private mansions of the Marais are the Hôtel de Sens, the Hôtel de Sully and the Hôtel Carnavalet, which houses within its walls the museum of the history of the city of Paris. Nicolas Flamel’s house, built in 1407, is the oldest in Paris.
The 3rd arrondissement of the capital is made up of four administrative districts: Quartier des Arts et Métiers, Quartier des Enfants Rouges, Quartier des Archives, Quartier Sainte-Avoye.
Quartier of Arts et Métiers
The Arts-et-Métiers district is the 9th administrative district of Paris located in the 3rd arrondissement. The Arts et Métiers district is the oldest Chinatown in the city of Paris. It is a very lively and busy district, there are around 700 shops. It owes its name to the National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts present in this area. The greater part of its territory with the exception of the space between rue Saint-Martin and boulevard Sébastopol corresponds to the northern part of the subdivision of the domain of the Abbey of Saint-Martin-des-Champs urbanized at the beginning of the 13th century to create the town of Saint-Martin-des-Champs. Part of the district is the oldest Asian district in Paris.
Quartier of Enfants-Rouges
The Enfants-Rouges district is the 10th administrative district of Paris located in the 3rd arrondissement. This district takes its name from the Hospice des Enfants-Rouges which was founded by Marguerite de Valois-Angoulême, sister of François I, in the 16th century. In 1536, Marguerite de Valois decided to create a hospital-orphanage to receive “orphans of father and mother found at the Hôtel-Dieu in Paris”. These children were first called “Children of God”, but their clothes of red cloth, a symbol of Christian charity, caused the people to give them the name of “Children-Reds”. Located on the site of rue du Grand-Chantier (now part of rue des Archives), this institution closed in 1772 and the orphans were transferred to the Île de la Cité. Here you can find the Marché des Enfants-Rouges, the oldest food market in the capital. It is the favorite place of the inhabitants of the district.
Quartier of Archives
The Archives district is the 11th administrative district of Paris located in the 3rd arrondissement, in the Marais. Its name refers to the National Archives located in the Hôtel de Soubise and the Hôtel de Rohan, to the west of the district, which is housed in a large complex of buildings in the southwest corner of the district. It is also a very lively district of the capital. There are many shops, stores and cafes.
Quartier of Sainte-Avoye
The Sainte-Avoye district is the twelfth administrative district of Paris located in the south-west of the 3rd arrondissement. It is named in honor of Avoye of Sicily, a martyr of the 3rd century. Part of the current rue du Temple, which crosses the district from south to north, was formerly called “rue Sainte-Avoie”. The territory of the current district corresponds for the most part to the south of the subdivision at the beginning of the 13th century of the domain of the Abbey of Saint-Martin-des-Champs forming the Bourg Saint-Martin-des-Champs. This district is made up of a large number of mansions such as the Soubise and the Rohan where the national archives are located. There are also cultural spots such as the Carnival Museum and the Picasso Museum.
The 3rd arrondissement is a buzzing enclave of hip cafes, eateries and shops. Art lovers troop to modern galleries and the Musée Picasso, where many artworks are displayed in a stately 17th-century mansion. The Musée des Arts et Métiers is a top destination for science history buffs. The lively Marché des Enfants Rouge draws crowds to its international food stalls.
The 3rd arrondissement concentrates many cafes, restaurants and shops. The Museum of Arts and Crafts offers an essential visit for lovers of scientific history. Art lovers, on the other hand, can enjoy the modern galleries of the museums. Finally, there is the lively Marché des Enfants Rouges, an unmissable spot in the arrondissement.
The history of the district is very rich. There are many buildings there that date back to the 18th century. For example, Nicolas Flamel’s house is the oldest in Paris since it was built in 1407.
The 3rd arrondissement is also called the Temple Quarter. The name “Temple” comes from the Knights of Templar, the religious and military order who by the 14th century owned this area. Many artisans and craftsmen established within the Templars’ walls, where the monarchy had no jurisdiction to collect taxes. Their wealth lasted until 1307 when King Philip IV imprisoned the last Templars and confiscated their lands.
Today the beautiful Arts et Métiers Museum stands as a silent witness of this arts & crafts past in medieval times. Another remarkable building linked to the Templars in this area is the Carreau du Temple, a covered market occupying the former site of the Templars’ medieval enclosure.
Hôtel de Soubise
The Hôtel de Soubise is a city mansion entre cour et jardin ([ɑ̃ːtʁ kuːʁ e ʒaʁdɛ̃]), located at 60 rue des Francs-Bourgeois, in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. The Hôtel de Soubise was built for the Prince and Princess de Soubise on the site of a semi-fortified manor house named the Grand-Chantier built in 1375 for connétable Olivier de Clisson, that had formerly been a property of the Templars.
Carreau du Temple
The Carreau du Temple is a covered market in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, built in 1863. In 1811 a wooden structure was erected on the site to house a permanent market, which was replaced by the current cast iron, brick and glass structure in 1863. Major renovation of the Carreau du Temple is due to be completed by the end of 2013. During the work, the building was stripped to its metallic structure. Various facilities will be created below ground level and on the main floor. Among the new facilities is a 250-seat auditorium and 1,800 square metres (19,000 sq ft) of multipurpose space at ground level, and below ground level, sport and cultural facilities, including a recording studio. The capacity of the renovated building will be 2800 persons.
Hôtel de Guénégaud
Hôtel de Guénégaud or Hôtel de Guénégaud-des-Brosses is a 17th-century hôtel particulier, or large townhouse, in Paris. At 60, rue des Archives in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. Designs by the architect François Mansart. Along with the Hôtel Carnavalet, it the best preserved hôtel particulier designed by this architect. A perfect example of the mid- 17th century Parisian hotel, it consists of a main body, between courtyard and garden, two back wings and a building overlooking rue 1. The whole is imbued with great sobriety. The hotel has retained, in its south wing, its admirable stone main staircase, formed of a double straight flight, continued to the ground by curved steps arranged in an arc.
The hôtel was acquired by Jean Romanet in 1703, and, according to the his contemporary Germain Brice, Romanet greatly embellished its interiors in the following year. It fell into disrepair and was divided into apartments in the late 19th century, but was acquired by the City of Paris in 1961. An extensive restoration was begun in 1962 under the direction of the architect André Sallez, and since 1967 it has housed the Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature and the offices of the Club de la Chasse et de la Nature.
Hôtel de Donon
The Hôtel de Donon is a private mansion, located at No. 8, rue Elzévir in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, in the Île-de-France region. It was built from 1575, at the request of Médéric de Donon, lord of Châtres-en-Brie and Loribeau, king’s adviser and general controller of his buildings. In 1640, the hotel passed to the Le Mairat family then to the Hénault de Tourneville and Bourgeois families from 1798, before being bought by the city of Paris in 1974. Since 1990, the hotel has housed the Cognacq-Jay museum.
The general design of the Hotel de Donon, with high roofs, seems close to the house that Philibert de l’Orme is having built in the Marais, and seems to have benefited from advances that have been put in place for the hotel. Carnival. With perfect unity and taste, the ensemble wonderfully evokes the refined life of the Age of Enlightenment. The splendid large attic, a place for exhibitions, evokes the nave of an overturned boat. The structure of the main building is characteristic of hotels in the Marais of this period.
The hotel’s architect adopted a regular plan: the buildings surround a rectangular courtyard. Basically, the main building is located between courtyard and garden; two wings connect it to the building on the street; the south one probably housed sheds and stables, while a simple gallery occupied the north wing. On the side of the courtyard, as well as on the side of the garden, two small side pavilions project. The structure of the main building is characteristic of hotels in the Marais in the 16th century: two floors of cellars – one of them in the semi-basement reserved for the kitchens and the common room – above which are raise two floors of the same height, one on the upper ground floor reserved for reception apartments, the other square floor topped with a high attic.
Hotel Liberal Bruant
The Hôtel Libéral Bruant is a mansion of classical architecture, located at 1 rue de la Perle in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, in the heart of the Marais district. The courtyard façade adopts the use of arched bays which have been fashionable since the second half of the reign of Louis XIV in Paris. Bruant inserts rectangular windows of smaller proportions and blind oculi intended to receive busts of Roman emperors. The vast pediment is adorned with cherubs and cornucopias.
All the facades on the courtyard, the rear facade, the roofs corresponding to the said facades, the portal on the street, and the ground of the courtyard are the subject of a classification as historical monuments since May 22, 1964. In 1968 the Bricard company, subject to restoring it and installing a lock museum there., where you could find collections of old locks, in iron and gilded bronze. This museum opened its doors in 1976, but was closed in 2003 and has since been replaced by a center for contemporary art.
Hotel de Rohan
The Hôtel de Rohan, built by the architect Pierre-Alexis Delamair, from 1705 for the de Rohan family, today houses, together with the adjoining Hôtel de Soubise, part of the National Archives. This monument located at the corner of rue Vieille du Temple and rue des Quatre Fils, has been classified as a historical monument since November 27, 1924.
Nothing has been preserved of the initial decor of the 1750s, on the ground floor of the hotel, which has on the courtyard side an entrance vestibule in the center of the facade, a small staircase on the left and the main staircase. honor on the right, adjacent to the courtyard of the stables to the north. On the garden side, five large adjoining rooms overlook the garden, of which the three most to the north were occupied by the library.
On the side of the main courtyard, the building has a narrower and more sober facade, framed on each side of the courtyard by lower service buildings, surmounted by a broken roof. The axis of this facade on the courtyard has the particularity of being shifted towards the South compared to that of the facade on the garden, more developed, to leave room for the courtyard of the stables, on the North side of the honor courtyard. The same particularity is found in the Hôtel Salé, now the Picasso Museum, built a few years earlier.
It was under the second Cardinal de Soubise that the apartments of the Palais de Rohan were decorated as we can admire them today. The ground floor has retained none of its old decoration. The large elongated oval vestibule serves both a square lounge overlooking the garden at the end, an old service staircase on the left, and the majestic renovated main staircase on the right.
The Museum of Art and History of Judaism to discover its permanent collection. Nearby is the rue Pavée synagogue, in Art Nouveau style, designed by Hector Guimard. Blown up in 1941 under the Occupation on the eve of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, along with six other Parisian temples, this synagogue was later restored.
The Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs church, of Catholic worship, is located rue Saint-Martin in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. It is essentially in the Flamboyant Gothic style, but its construction took place in five stages over two hundred years, from 1420 to 1620. It has been classified as a historic monument sinceFebruary 10, 1887.
The church’s size is significant with its 90 m long (one of the longest in Paris), its 36 m wide and its bell tower which rises to 32 m. The flamboyant part (1420-1546) of the first seven spans appears as if set between two parts of the 17th – 18th centuries: to the west, the double entrance vestibule (1647-1649 and 1775) also serves as a support for the large organ case while to the east the perspective comes up against the monumental two-sided high altar (1620-1629 and 1775) which conceals the double ambulatory and the row of chapels.
More than seventy “objects” (paintings, sculptures, murals, bells, etc.) have been classified as Historic Monuments, the vast majority since 1905 at the time of the Law of Separation of Church and State. It is the COARC – Conservation of religious and civil works of art of the City of Paris – which watches over them (for example, restoration of the murals of the chapels in 2011 or of the southern flank in 2021, with the DECH).
The Saint-Denys-du-Saint-Sacrement church, located 70 rue de Turenne in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. The very simple façade has a central prostyle portico with four Ionic columns, surmounted by a triangular pediment decorated with a bas-relief by the sculptor Jean-Jacques Feuchère and representing the theological virtues: in the centre, Faith which raises the chalice and the host (the holy sacrament), on the left, Hope rests the anchor on tables reminiscent of the Shema Israel and on the right Charity protects a child and extends a burning heart towards the book where reads a phrase from Saint Paul’s hymn to charity.
On either side of the entrance, two niches with the statues of Saint Paul and Saint Peter by the sculptor Jean-François Legendre-Héral in 1849. Above the portal, The four cardinal virtues (Prudence, Temperance, Strength and Justice), bas-reliefs, 1865, by Noémi Constant (1832-1888), alias Claude Vignon (from 1866). The church is partly due to the fact that it houses (in the first chapel on the right) a Pietà executed in 17 days by Delacroix in 1844. A recent restoration revealed the beauty of the Pilgrims of Emmaus, a work painted in wax by François-Edouard Picot. A large grisaille of a frieze-shaped trompe-l’oeil bas-relief by Alexandre-Denis Abel de Pujol adorns the wall of the choir, in which a new altar designed by Marc Couturier has been installed since 1995
Church of Sainte-Élisabeth-de-Hongrie
The Sainte-Élisabeth-de-Hongrie church is a religious building located in Paris, dating from the 17th and 19th centuries. First chapel of the monastery of the nuns of the Third Order of Saint Francis (from 1646 to 1792) then Catholic parish church (since 1802) of the Temple district, it usually hosts the religious celebrations of the Sovereign Order of Malta in Paris (since 1938).
The church stands out mainly for its original facade, in the classical style, of Jesuit inspiration. A Pieta by Joseph-Michel-Ange Pollet is on the tympanum. Four statues, dating from the Second Empire: below: Saint Louis and Saint Eugenie (patron saint of the wife of Napoleon III); top: Saint Elizabeth and Saint Francis of Assisi.
Synagogue of Nazareth
The Nazareth Synagogue is a synagogue located at 15 rue Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth, in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. It is the oldest of the great synagogues of Paris. It is attached to the Israelite Central Consistory of France. The synagogue is one of the two Parisian synagogues, with that of the rue des Tournelles, to have two floors of galleries for women, supported by cast iron columns. These are only used during major holidays. During the week, when the number of worshipers is between 30 and 50, or on Shabbat when the number of worshipers is around 150 people, men and women are distributed left and right on the ground floor.
At street level, the one-storey-high facade comprises a central bay with a large door, surmounted by a flat crenellated pediment, and two side bays with a narrower door, but without a pediment. On the outer edge of this door is engraved the motto of the French Republic: “Liberty, equality, fraternity”. Behind, we see the gable of the prayer hall, with a clock where the numbers have been replaced by the signs of the zodiac. During the 1999 storm, the hands of the clock were torn off. They should be reinstalled soon. A rose window with a Star of David in its center adorns the facade, below the clock.
On entering the synagogue, we find fixed to the wall of the room located to the left of the peristyle, two black stone plaques with inscription in gold letters, one with the text of the royal and prefectural ordinance authorizing the construction of the first synagogue of 1822 and on the second, the list of members of the Consistory of Paris at the time. The names of all members of the community massacred by the Nazis during World War II are listed on plaques fixed in the peristyle. The building, which can accommodate up to 1,200 worshippers, is in the neo-Moorish style. The building, the interior paintings and the stained glass windows were identically renovated around the year 2000. The twelve windows symbolize the twelve tribes of Israel. The liturgical furniture is period, as well as the organ, and the chandeliers, formerly equipped with candles.
The 3rd arrondissement is rich in art galleries. Its proximity to the Pompidou Center has made it a perfect place for amateurs. The district has a fine heritage of museums. Aficionados will find what they are looking for at the Picasso Museum, the Arts and Crafts Museum, the Carnavalet Museum or even the National Archives Museum.
The museums of the 3rd arrondissement are among the best anywhere, the district is fortunate to be endowed with a large number of 17th century mansions which have been the perfect setting for setting up museums. Thus, the Salé hotel houses the Picasso Museum, the Carnavalet hotel has become the Paris History Museum, the Donon hotel presents the Cognacq-Jay collection, the National Archives museum has taken up residence in the hotel. de Soubise, and the Museum of Hunting and Nature in the Hôtel Guénégaud. As for the Museum of Arts and Crafts, it has moved into a former priory from the 12th century.
Museum of Arts and Crafts
The Musée des Arts et Métiers is an industrial design museum in Paris that houses the collection of the Conservatoire national des arts et métiers, which was founded in 1794 as a repository for the preservation of scientific instruments and inventions. The museum presents seven different collections: Scientific Instruments, Materials, Energy, Mechanics, Construction, Communication, Transportation. In the former church of St-Martin-des-Champs Priory are displayed cars, planes, the Foucault Pendulum and some other monumental objects.
The museum has over 80,000 objects and 15,000 drawings in its collection, of which about 2,500 are on display in Paris. The rest of the collection is preserved in a storehouse in Saint-Denis. Among its collection is an original version of the Foucault pendulum, the original model of Liberty Enlightening the World (commonly known as the Statue of Liberty) by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, some of the first planes (Clément Ader’s Avion III, Louis Blériot’s Blériot XI…), and Blaise Pascal’s Pascaline (the first mechanical calculator).
The permanent exhibition of the Musée des Arts et Métiers is organized into seven thematic collections themselves subdivided into four chronological periods (before 1750, 1750-1850, 1850-1950, after 1950): scientific instruments, materials, construction, communication, energy, mechanics and transport. Additional presentations insist on particular points: the laboratory of Lavoisier, the theater of the automatons, the models of teaching of Mrs. de Genlis. The old church presents, among other things, the experiment of the rotation of the Earth using Foucault’s Pendulum.
Scientific instruments are represented by the collections of the physics cabinets of Jacques Charles or Abbé Nollet, to which are added the laboratory of Antoine Laurent de Lavoisier, the calculating machines of Blaise Pascal, the precision clocks of Ferdinand Berthoud, the instruments used by Léon Foucault to measure the speed of light, Frédéric Joliot-Curie ‘s cyclotron at the Collège de France and several objects illustrating the progress of robotics.
National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts
The Conservatoire national des arts et métiers is a French public higher education institution, national research centre and grand établissement as well as grande école of engineering. Founded in 1794 by the French bishop Henri Grégoire, CNAM’s core mission is dedicated to provide education and conduct research for the promotion of science and industry. With 70,000 students and a budget of €174 million, it is the second largest university by enrolment in Europe for distance learning and continued education, after the University of Hagen. CNAM provides certificates, diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and PhD’s in Science, Engineering, Law, Management (AMBA-accredited), Finance, Accountancy, Urban Planning and Humanities.
The headquarters of the National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts is located in Paris at 270, 278 and 292 rue Saint-Martin (Paris). This set of historic buildings corresponds to the former Saint-Martin-des-Champs priory. It houses the Museum of Arts and Crafts around which the entire history of the establishment has been built. The CNAM hosts also a museum dedicated to scientific and industrial inventions: Musée des Arts et Métiers.
The Musée Carnavalet in Paris is dedicated to the history of the city. The museum occupies two neighboring mansions: the Hôtel Carnavalet and the former Hôtel Le Peletier de Saint Fargeau. On the advice of Baron Haussmann, the civil servant who transformed Paris in the latter half of the 19th century, the Hôtel Carnavalet was purchased by the Municipal Council of Paris in 1866; it was opened to the public in 1880. Carnavalet Museum is one of the 14 City of Paris’s Museums that have been incorporated since January 1, 2013 in the public institution Paris Musées. It reopened in 2021 with new rooms and galleries and an expanded collection.
The building, an historic monument from the 16th century, contains furnished rooms from different periods of Paris history, historic objects, and a very large collection of paintings of Paris life; it features works by artists including Joos Van Cleve, Frans Pourbus the Younger, Jacques-Louis David, Hippolyte Lecomte, François Gérard, Louis-Léopold Boilly, and Étienne Aubry, to Tsuguharu Foujita, Louis Béroud, Jean Béraud, Carolus Duran, Jean-Louis Forain, Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, Johan Barthold Jongkind, Henri Gervex, Alfred Stevens, Paul Signac, and Simon-Auguste. They depict the city’s history and development, and its notable characters.
The Musée Picasso is an art gallery located in the Hôtel Salé in rue de Thorigny, in the Marais district of Paris, France, dedicated to the work of the Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881–1973). The museum collection includes more than 5,000 works of art (paintings, sculptures, drawings, ceramics, prints, engravings and notebooks) and tens of thousands of archived pieces from Picasso’s personal repository, including the artist’s photographic archive, personal papers, correspondence, and author manuscripts. It also contains some Iberian bronzes and a good collection of African art, by which Picasso was greatly inspired. The museum also contains a large number of works that Picasso painted after his seventieth birthday.
There are a few rooms with thematic presentations, but the museum largely follows a chronological sequence, displaying painting, drawings, sculptures and prints. Other items include photographs, manuscripts, newspaper clippings and photographs to provide additional contextual information. The museum has also made an effort to present works by cartoonists who mocked or caricatured Picasso’s work from the 1950s. The second floor has a special area set aside for temporary exhibitions and prints. The third floor contains the library, the documentation and archives department (reserved for research), and the curator’s offices.
Museum of Hunting and Nature
The Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature (Museum of Hunting and Nature) is a private museum of hunting and nature located in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, France. Exhibits focus on the relationships between humans and the natural environment through the traditions and practices of hunting.
The collection is partly made up of objects and works that were gathered personally by François and Jacqueline Sommer: their collection totalled nearly three thousand hunting-related objects, including nearly five hundred engravings. The museum displays ancient and contemporary works together.
The museum organizes several temporary exhibitions each year in Paris and Chambord. These exhibitions are of a heritage nature (iconography of hunting in the 19th century, iconography of the dog in the history of art, practices and culture of hunting in the Renaissance, etc.) or present the work of contemporary artists.
Museum of Jewish Art and History
The Musée d’Art et d’Histoire du Judaïsme or mahJ is the largest French museum of Jewish art and history. It is located in the Hôtel de Saint-Aignan in the Marais district in Paris. The museum conveys the rich history and culture of Jews in Europe and North Africa from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. Its fine collection of religious objects, archives, manuscripts, and works of art promotes the contributions of Jews to France and to the world, especially in the arts. The museum’s collections include works of art from Marc Chagall and Amedeo Modigliani.
An important place is devoted to the Jewish presence in the arts with painters from the School of Paris (Chagall, Kikoïne, Soutine …) and contemporary artists (Christian Boltanski, Sophie Calle …). The museum has a bookshop selling books on Jewish art and history and Judaica, a media library with an online catalogue accessible to the public, and an auditorium which offers conferences, lectures, concerts, performances, and seminars.
The Musée Cognacq-Jay is a museum located in the Hôtel Donon in the 3rd arrondissement at 8 rue Elzévir, Paris, France. The museum’s collection was formed between 1900–1925 by Théodore-Ernest Cognacq (1839–1928) and his wife Marie-Louise Jaÿ (1838–1925), founders of La Samaritaine department store. At his death, Cognacq gave the collection to the City of Paris. The Cognacq-Jay Museum is one of the 14 City of Paris’ Museums that have been incorporated since 1 January 2013 in the public institution Paris Musées.
The museum contains an exceptional collection of fine art and decorative items, about 1200 items in total, with an emphasis on 18th century France, ranging from European and Chinese ceramics, jewels, and snuffboxes, to paintings by Louis-Léopold Boilly, François Boucher, Canaletto, Jean-Siméon Chardin, Jean-Honoré Fragonard, Jean-Baptiste Greuze, Maurice Quentin de La Tour, Sir Thomas Lawrence, Hubert Robert, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, and Jean-Antoine Watteau; sculpture by Jean-Antoine Houdon, Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, and Jacques-François-Joseph Saly; and fine furniture attributed to Jean-François Oeben and Roger Vandercruse Lacroix. 17th century is also represented, notably with two paintings by Rembrandt while 19th century is represented with works by Camille Corot, Paul Cézanne and also Edgar Degas.
The Musée de la Serrure, also known as the Musée de la Serrurerie or the Musée Bricard, was a private museum of locks and keys located in the 3rd arrondissement at 1 rue de la Perle, Paris, France. The museum closed in 2003.
The museum was established by the Bricard Company, and was located within the Hôtel Libéral Bruant (1685), the home of Libéral Bruant (1635-1697), Parisian architect of Les Invalides. It was dedicated to the art of keys, locks, and door knockers, and displayed an assortment of locks from Roman times to the present, including keys made of bronze and in Gallo-Roman iron, knockers from the Middle Ages, and locks and keys from the 16th through 19th centuries. The museum also had a locksmith’s workshop, plus displays of ironworks.
The Archives nationales are the national archives of France. They preserve the archives of the French state. The National Archives have one of the largest and oldest archival collections in the world. As of 2020, they held 373 km (232 mi) of physical records (the total length of occupied shelves put next to each other) from the year 625 to the present time, and 74.75 terabytes (74,750 GB) of electronic archives.
The National Archives of France also keep the archives of local secular and religious institutions from the Paris Region seized at the time of the French Revolution (such as local royal courts of Paris, suburban abbeys and monasteries, etc), as well as the archives produced by the notaries of Paris during five centuries, and many private archives donated or placed in the custody of the National Archives by prominent aristocratic families, industrialists, and historical figures.
Anne Frank Garden
The Anne-Frank garden is a green space in the Sainte-Avoye district of the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, at 14, impasse Berthaud. This garden covers 4,000 m 2 in the former gardens of the Hôtel de Saint-Aignan, where the Museum of Jewish Art and History is now located (entrance via rue du Temple). It is the only municipal public garden in the Sainte-Avoye district.
This garden honors Annelies Marie Frank, better known as Anne Frank who wrote a diary, The Diary of Anne Frank, while in hiding with her family and four friends in Amsterdam during the German occupation, during World War II in an attempt to escape the Holocaust. A statuary group in homage to Paul Celan, the work of Alexander Polzin, was installed at the entrance to the garden in 2016.
Temple Square – Elie-Wiesel
Square du Temple – Elie-Wiesel is a Parisian garden in the 3rd arrondissement, created in 1857. The garden includes a bandstand, dating from 1900, a play area for children, lawns, the largest of which is open to the public fromApril 15toOctober 15, fountains and a water feature with an artificial waterfall on rocks in the forest of Fontainebleau. The grid that surrounds the square was designed by the architect Gabriel Davioud.
The square has 71 trees and 191 varieties of plants, including many exotic species, such as a Byzantium hazel, a ginkgo biloba, a Japanese sophora, an American honey locust, a Caucasian pterokary, a soap tree and a quince from China, and a Cedrela from America. In 2007, the square obtained the “ecological green spaces” label awarded by ECOCERT.
There are two statues there. One depicts the chansonnier Béranger, who lived in the nearby street which later took his name (rue Béranger). It is the second in his effigy: a first bronze statue, due to Amédée Doublemard, was erected thanks to a public subscription opened in 1879 by the newspaper La Chanson and destroyed in 1941. It was replaced in 1953 by the current statue, in stone, by Henri Lagriffoul. Another statue is composed of a bust on a plinth on which is inscribed” To B. Wilhelm founder 1781-1842 L’ Orphéon français”, above a medallion portrait and the text “To Eugène Delaporte propagator 1818-1886”.
October 26, 2007, a stele was inaugurated on the main lawn of the Square du Temple. It bears the first names, surnames and ages of the 85 “little ones who did not have time to go to school”, Jewish children from 2 months to 6 years old living in the 3rd arrondissement and deported between 1942 and 1944 then murdered in Auschwitz.
Square Émile-Chautemps, is a green space in Paris, located in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. This square located between the boulevard de Sébastopol, the rue Salomon-de-Caus, the rue Papin and the rue Saint-Martin opposite the National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts (CNAM) in the 3rd arrondissement of the capital, is accessible by 98 bis, boulevard de Sébastopol. This square honors the doctor of medicine, deputy, senator, then minister Émile Chautemps (1850-1918). The square was created in 1858 as part of the transformations of Paris under the Second Empire.
There’s a lot of stuff to buy in the 3rd arrondissement, mainly in the side streets of the upper Marais down near the 4th arrondissement. Of particular interest are the large number of men’s clothing stores on rue de Turenne. Art galleries and antique shops are not uncommon in the borough either.