At the end of a long gallery is the rotunda of the glacier, a cool and luminous rotunda adorned with a ceiling painted by Clairin (1843-1919) depicting a round of bacchantes and fauns, complete with tapestry cartoons illustrating various refreshments as well as fishing and hunting. Completed after the opening of the Palais Garnier, this salon evokes the aesthetics of the Belle Epoque.
Other spaces for the enjoyment of the public precede or accompany the homes, such as the “Rotunda of Glacier” placed at the end of the gallery of the bar. At the beginning of xx th century, a bell installed in all wells of the theater, allowed it to be used directly, drinks.
Place of distribution of refreshments, it is characterized by its luminosity and its ceiling painted by Georges Jules-Victor Clairin, a round of bacchanals and fauns. All around is arranged, between the windows, a series of eight tapestries from cartons painted by AJ Mazerolle. These works represent the various drinks that can be ordered: “champagne”, “coffee”, “tea”, “orangeade” and other beverages, but also ” fishing” and “hunting”.
Completed well after the opening of the Opera, the rotunda is closer to the style of the “Belle Epoque” or the “1900s”.
Places of strolling and meeting between spectators before each performance or at the moment of intermission, the hearths are vast and the rich decoration does not leave the least square centimeter unused. The mosaic is omnipresent, especially in the foyer (or “foyer of mosaics”), a transition space between the void of the grand staircase and the large foyer. The barrel vault of the hearth is covered with delicate tesserae and bright colors, all set against a gold background. A bird’s eye view of the grand staircase decorates the place.
The Opera Garnier, or Palace Garnier, is a national theater and lyrical choreography vocation and a major element of heritage 9 th arrondissement of Paris and the capital. It is located Place de l’Opera, at the north end of the Avenue de l’Opera and at the crossroads of many roads. It is accessible by metro (Opera station), by the RER (line A, Auber station) and by bus. The building stands out as a monument particularly representative of eclectic architectureand historicist style of the second half of the xix th century. On a conception of the architect Charles Garnier retained following a competition, its construction, decided by Napoleon III as part of the transformations of Paris conducted by the prefect Haussmann and interrupted by the war of 1870, was resumed at the beginning of the Third Republic, after the destruction by fire of the opera Le Peletier in 1873. The building is inaugurated on January 5, 1875by President MacMahon in the third Republic.
Designed by the architect Charles Garnier in 1875, the Palais Garnier houses a prestigious auditorium and public spaces (grand foyer, rotunda of subscribers, salons), a library-museum as well as several rehearsal studios and workshops.
The “Italian style” theater, whose ceiling was painted by Marc Chagall in 1964, can accommodate 2054 spectators. With nearly 480,000 visitors a year, it is one of the most visited monuments in Paris. It is classified as a historical monument since 1923.
This opera was called “Paris Opera” until 1989, when the opening of the Opera Bastille, also opera in Paris, influenced its name. It is now designated by the only name of its architect: “Opera Garnier” or “Palais Garnier”. The two operas are now grouped together in the public industrial and commercial establishment “Opéra national de Paris”, a French public institution whose mission is to implement the performance of lyric or ballet performances, of high quality. artistic. The opera Garnier has been classified as a historical monument since October 16, 1923.