Château de Bouges, France

Le Château de Bouges est un manoir du XVIIIe siècle situé dans la ville de Bouges-le-Château, dans le département de l’Indre en France, dans la vallée de la Loire. Il est classé monument historique et les jardins sont classés par le Ministère de la Culture parmi les Jardins Notables de France. Le château et les jardins sont ouverts au public.

Le château dispose d’un parc de quatre-vingts hectares comprenant un jardin paysager, un arboretum, un jardin fleuri créé en 1920, de grandes serres et un jardin à la française. Il comprend également de grandes écuries qui ont ensuite été utilisés comme garages par les derniers propriétaires.

On ne peut quitter Bouges sans se promener dans le parc de 80 ha, planté de nombreuses espèces d’arbres, avec quelques essences rares (tulipier, chêne rouge américain, liquidambar). A l’intérieur des bâtiments principaux, vous trouverez également une importante collection liée à la chasse et aux chevaux.

Cet endroit avec une apparence encore habitée et la beauté des environs sont constitutifs du charme de ce château. Quelle que soit la saison, vous serez accueillis dans le château avec des fleurs de jardin fraîchement disposées.

Histoire:
Bouges était à l’origine un manoir rural avec un château fort. En 1759, Claude Charles François Leblanc de Marnaval, percepteur général de Louis XV, acheta le terrain et remplaça bientôt l’ancien château par une élégante construction «à l’italienne».

Le nouveau bâtiment à la mode était une démonstration de l’ambition de son riche maître de forges, qui avait réussi à se faire un nom dans le monde de la finance parisienne et avait récemment gagné un titre de noblesse (par le mariage). Son mode de vie a fait l’objet à la fois d’étonnement et de jalousie. Quelque 12 ans plus tard, il s’est retrouvé en faillite et son château a été repris et vendu.

Au cours du 19ème siècle, le site a traversé un certain nombre de propriétaires, y compris le prince de Talleyrand.

La plupart des travaux de transformation du château ont été menés par Henry Viguier, directeur d’un grand magasin parisien, et son épouse Renée, issus d’une riche famille de drapiers. Ils ont ravivé la propriété en installant de superbes meubles, en harmonie avec les environs. Ils ont également modernisé le château en introduisant l’électricité, le chauffage et l’eau courante.

L’achat de Bouges donna à Henry Viguier l’occasion de se consacrer à son amour de l’équitation, et il utilisa ses chevaux pour tous les aspects de ses activités quotidiennes (chasse, équitation, pique-nique, voyage et achat). Il possédait une écurie de chevaux de course et aimait particulièrement les belles calèches. Les écuries, les selleries et la salle des voitures offrent une bonne représentation de cette passion.

Renée Viguier, quant à elle, était passionnée par les fleurs, et ce motif récurrent peut être vu dans tout le décor intérieur du château. Le couple a transformé le potager existant en un jardin de fleurs (le «jardin bouquetier»), et des plantes exotiques ont été installées dans la grande serre. Ils ont également restauré les plantes et les paysages dans les jardins formels anglais et français créés par les Duchênes sous la propriété précédente.

En 1967, sans descendance, le couple quitte le domaine et sa collection à la Caisse nationale des monuments historiques et des sites (aujourd’hui le Centre des monuments nationaux). Le souhait de Henry Viguier était que la propriété soit ouverte au public et que les revenus générés soient utilisés pour entretenir et restaurer la propriété.

Architecture
The Château de Bouges was attributed without proof to Ange-Jacques Gabriel on the basis of an approximate similarity with the Petit Trianon of Versailles built by the famous architect between 1762 and 1768 at exactly the same time, which is enough to make this highly unlikely attribution. It is now challenged by all authors.

The name “Gabriel” engraved on one of the pediments is probably only a graffiti due to one of the workers on the site, like that of “Fayeti” who overcomes it. The parish registers mention the burial in November 1767 of a certain Gabriel, apprentice of Louis Thonet, mason working at the castle, who is perhaps the one who engraved his name on the castle. Also mentioned in 1768 were Claude Vidard, carpenter, and François Le Neuf, “master carpenter at the château”. In 1770, François Le Neuf, the locksmith Antoine Favel and Jean Bardon attended the burial of the brother of the latter, described as “painter and gilder of the city of Bourges”.

The deliberations of the trustee quote the claims of Richard Colasse, master roofer in Paris, and Mathieu La Chaussée, master carpenter in Paris, “for the cover of a new dome”, made in 1778 according to the indications of Sieur Vittard, architect. We do not know anything about it and we can not attribute to it with certainty the whole project of Bouges, in which we also found similarities with the hotel Bertrand in Châteauroux, contemporary work of the architect engineer Martin Bouchet.

Exteriors
If Bouges is undeniably a very neat construction, it does not present the architectural subtleties of the Petit Trianon. On the other hand, its pavilion organization evokes certain Parisian hotels like the hotel Peyrenc de Moras and also the castle of Marly. In the second half of the eighteenth century, there are obvious similarities with the castle of Canon (Calvados), refitted in 1770 for Jean-Baptiste Elie de Beaumont.

The castle is a 28 x 21 meter rectangular massed building with nine bays on the main façades and five bays on the side façades. The main façades open one on the main courtyard and the other on the big perspective of the green carpet. Under a triangular pediment, the three central bays stand out in slight protrusion, forming a false fore-body, on a continuous base of refends answering the angles treated in bosses with slits. On the ground floor, this false front is pierced by three semicircular windows, including the entrance door which is accessed by a few steps of steps, and on the floor of three rectangular bays joined by a balcony supported by four consoles.

The median axis is also marked by the use of a triangular pediment, the use of continuous roofs and the use of a semicircular central bay on the ground floor, and rectangular on the first floor, framed by pierced or simulated bull’s eye. Each cross of the side façades is highlighted by a framing of flower beds that animates the walls of smooth stone.

The house is built in stone Villentrois. The separation between the two levels is marked by a simple strip and a prominent cornice, which make imperceptible the level between the ground floor and the first floor and the level of service rooms located on the second floor. The sculpture is limited to the pediments and consoles of the balconies, and to the systematic use of balusters to encircle the flowerbeds and to conceal the roof terrace that was crowned with a slate dome in the eighteenth century.

Interiors
Château de Bouges stands out thanks to the ingeniousness of its three-deep interior organization, which provides maximum opening to the outside by releasing the center of the building, occupied on the ground floor by a large vestibule connecting the hall of honor at the games fair. The other reception rooms are arranged on the ground floor with the necessary clearances and service rooms, the grand staircase being rejected on the side in the thickness of the vestibule. Upstairs, the right end of the staircase leads to a central void around which develop the master apartments and guest rooms, five in number. The large windows are equipped with interior shutters and are skilfully divided to give day to mezzanine. The kitchens, laundry, cellars and storage are in the basement.

The creation, most probably at the end of the nineteenth century only, of a skylight illuminated by a skylight above the central void, introduced a very original second luminous axis by drawing an interesting part from the original layout.

Park
The estate comprises on 80 hectares a landscaped park, an arboretum, a garden bouquetier created in 1920, large greenhouses and French gardens of one hectare redrawn in the last century by the Duchêne father and son. The park also offers boxwood borders and cone-cut yews, all surrounded by a double line of lime trees. The perspective of the basin leads to the water buffet of the nymphaeum, in the center of the lawn rises a carved group of white marble representing Hercules. The garden is composed of two main axes, at the intersection of which is a circular basin. The large greenhouse is home to some rare or exotic plant species.

The English-style park covers 80 hectares of liquidambar trees, tulip trees, beeches, berberis, sumacs … The park is labeled Logo displaying two half silhouettes of trees Remarkable garden.

Sumptuous stables installed in the common, home to the horse-drawn carriages used by its last owners.

Protection
Château de Bouges has been classified as a historic monument since September 7, 2001. This concerns the château, its outbuildings, its gardens, its park, as well as the buildings and the fence walls and the driveway. ‘arrival. This decree canceled the previous protection measures: the decree of classification as historical monuments of December 28, 1961 and the orders of inscription under the historic monuments of October 21, 1944 and March 3, 1997.

Filmography
The castle and its park served as a setting for certain scenes from Yves Angelo’s film Le Colonel Chabert (1994) with Gérard Depardieu and Fanny Ardant.

Tags: