Ensues-la-Redonne is a French commune located in the department of Bouches-du-Rhône, in the region Provence-Alpes-Côte d ‘ Azure.
Ensuès-la-Redonne belongs to the canton of Châteauneuf-Côte-Bleue and to the district of Istres. It is 17.9 km from Marseille, 4.4 km from Carry-le-Rouet and 25.4 km from Istres. The village is built in a basin and separated from the coast by the Graffiane plateau. On the coast of the Côte Bleue, several creeks, ports, coves or shelters are located on the territory of Ensuès-la-Redonne: the Gignac trap, La Redonne (and its port), Les Figuières, the calanques of Petit Méjean and Grand Méjean, etc. A large part of the land in the town is protected by the Conservatoire du littoral, 80% being covered with scrubland.
The origin of the name remains a real enigma, to this day several hypotheses and many differences exist. The one that comes up the most and seems to be the most probable, comes from a distortion of the Provençal word “SUEIO” or “ESSUEO” which meant, “lime pit” or “manure pond”. But also more subject to discussion, the deformation of the Latin word “SOLIUM” which translates as “small bath”.
Tile burials were discovered on the territory of Ensuès-la-Redonne as well as amphorae. A small dolmen was also discovered more recently in the valley of Saint-Antoine. Although known for a long time by the inhabitants of the calanque, the latter had never been officially listed. It now bears the name of its inventor: Gérard Chevé. The first appearances of the name Ensuès are found in writings relating to the attachment of Provence to the Kingdom of France under Louis XI of France around 1481. The village seemed then periodically occupied by shepherds. It was only in 1540 that the name of Ensues appeared in the list of parishes dependent on the diocese of Aix-en-Provence.
Little change has been observed in the settlement of Ensuès-la-Redonne for more than four centuries: 100 to 400 inhabitants live there. Their livelihoods as well as their economy are based on Mediterranean assets: the climate allows the cultivation of olive trees and vines as well as the breeding of goats and pigs and the proximity of the sea makes possible the development of the region. fishing.
After centuries of consolidation around the old medieval fief of Chateauneuf, a strong desire for independence manifested itself, from the 17 th century in the various hamlets gathered then near their small chapel. Those which then take on importance are: Gignac, le Rove with a part of Ensues, Carry and later Sausset.
The hamlet is in fact administratively divided into two parts: while the west is attached to Chateauneuf-les-Martigues, the east depends on Gignac-la-Nerthe (until 1835, when Le Rove acquired the status of commune and supports Ensuès-la-Redonne).
Following the management difficulties caused by this dichotomy, the accession of Ensuès to the rank of full municipality was requested from 1850.
At the same time, the school run by nuns became secular in 1893; nevertheless, they retain the education of girls. They were fired in 1905. It was in 1907 that two schools were created: one for girls, the other for boys.
By decree of May 16, 1933, the town of Ensuès-la-Redonne was officially created. The first elections took place in June 1933 and Auguste Gouiran became the first mayor of the village. The building currently housing the Post Office then jointly housed the town hall and the postal service from 1936.
In 1953 met the girls’ school and boys.
The coat of arms of the town opposite, dates from the 1930s, is the work of Etienne Imbert, living in the Val de Ricard. Even if it remained rather timidly on the fireplace in the wedding hall at first, it has become the true emblem of the town. Its meaning is simple: the dolphin is the symbol of the sea, the star of Baux recalls the origin of the village created by inhabitants of Châteauneuf-les-Martigues who then depended on the County of Baux. As for the gold chef with four pals de geule, it is the Arms of Provence.
It will be necessary to persevere for generations and with the support of the elected officials of the department to obtain the creation of the commune on May 16, 1933. The President of the Republic Albert Lebrun signed a law, published the next day in the official journal, which established as a commune separate the hamlets of Ensuès-La Redonne. It was therefore in June 1933 that the first municipal elections were organized with a certain enthusiasm for all voters.
Mr. Augustin GOUIRAN known as “Gutin” was elected Mayor, Mr. Zacharie RICAUD, 1st deputy, and due to the particular situation of La Redonne, which included 40 inhabitants in winter and 300 in summer, Mr. BONNAY was appointed special assistant to represent the voters of the coast. Initially, the Town Hall moved into the old school (the current Post Office) which, following various repair works, was officially inaugurated on September 6, 1936. This new premises jointly housed the Post Office and the Town Hall.
Geographically, this district, located 10 km from Carry and only 2 km from Ensues, should never have belonged to the municipality of Carry because the road that crosses this agglomeration connects it to Ensuès La Redonne and all public services and private services served the population of Ensues. It is therefore the valley leading to the salt water cove that delimited the two municipalities.
The home as the heart of community and cultural life. All the associations were grouped together and the inauguration took place in January 1969 in the presence of the deputy Mr. Rieubon who wanted “that this room be the symbol of the development of your municipality for the future of culture and relaxation”.
Marcelle Théry, relates: We took possession of the home only after 1968. Guy Olive was its President. The land for the hostel was planned on the Place des Aires, but then that of the girls’ school was donated. The home took care of all that was festive, leisure, sport and culture in the town. Organized in sections, there were all the activities that are now managed by full associations such as tennis, football, dance, etc… Each section (sports or not) had its representative on the board to participate to the management of the Rural Home. Today, beyond the Foyer and its activities, nearly 75 associations work in the municipality in all areas.
The difficulties in bringing drinking water to Ensuès. It was not until 1928 that the town received the precious liquid from Marseille at the rate of one liter of water per second and that every day… But the installations of the Marseille canal did not work well at the beginning and it The village population often ran out of water five days a week. On May 31, 1953, the municipal council decided to acquire an electric pump unit to draw water from the large municipal well (place des Acacias). This water was used to clean the gutters and if necessary replace the water in the canal. “Yes, there was often a lack of water, even if there were also the fountains. We only used to wash once a week.
The laundry was washed at home but when we were little there was also the laundry (located at the current location of the library). Marthe, Rosa, Virgina… came to wash their clothes at the pump and drew water from the municipal well at the bottom. ”These wells also unfortunately had sad stories because some were drowned or hanged in them, remembers Daniel Camoin. It should also be noted that at the time, the Calanques and the valley of Graffiane were still not served: the inhabitants are only supplied by special cisterns, responsible for collecting rainwater. The rest of the drinking water was transported by train by travelers. During the dry seasons, the reserves were exhausted and it was then the pump boat of the French Navy which supplied the summer visitors.
The Ministry of Agriculture granted our municipality the project which consisted of bringing drinking water from “La Pégouliere”. The works were carried out and spread from 1956 to 1958. It was not until 1962 that drinking water arrived at the creeks. Subsequently, a new tank with a capacity of 1000 m3 was built in 1982, located just behind the television rebroadcaster. The latter has improved the service to the high points of our village.
Place des Aires
Place des aires: space dedicated to the cultivation of wheat. The wheat was cultivated in the plain towards Châteauneuf but also in Ensuès, in Colleton. There were 7 or 8 Areas in Ensuès, including those of St Maur. These were places located in full sun where wheat or other graminaceous plants were shattered. We watered the ground, spread straw, and laid sheaves of wheat or barley. Under the effect of the sun, the heat, the surface of the air hardened, thus allowing the threshing of the grains.
Léone Lantelme remembers “the horse Bijou, blindfolded to protect it from the dust, circling the mast, pulling the huge stone roller and then the women sweeping to remove the straw and keep the wheat”… Her trick was to put old stockings for gloves to protect his hands.
The only machine that was used was the “ventarelle” in order to keep only the cleaned grain. Everyone put their hands to the work and the place was cleaned thoroughly to collect the smallest dust and grains from this grind.
Saint Maur Church
Eventful history of the bell. Since 1954, “Marie-Thérèse”, the church bell, has been ringing events. Fondue in Lyon, it had been named after two faithful of the parish. A crack had caused it to fall in tune with its sound and, during the electrification of the steeple, it was necessary to recast it because its wound was growing dangerously. The origin of the crack remains a mystery… never elucidated…
It is therefore with the help of Mr. Teillet, garage mechanic of the town who owned a suitable van that she was transported to Châteauneuf, from where it left to in St Jean de Bray, near Orleans, to be recast in 1979 and return for Easter the following year. On her return trip, it is said that at St Etienne, the van that was transporting her was covered with snow, which made it say that “nature was already wearing her white dress of future baptized” Yes, the church baptizes the bells! … And it is therefore in a great ceremony that the bell of Ensues was baptized by an Abbot, in the presence of godfathers and godmothers. On March 30, 1980, the crowd gathered for this long awaited event.
A story of the mail. At the turn of the century, it was the stagecoach that carried mail, there was no building assigned to this service. In May 1963, in order to offer a better service to the citizens with in particular more opening hours the municipal council, after having ensured the move of the marriage hall made available to the PTT the entire ground floor as well as official accommodation for the receiver. The postmen left on foot to the very bottom of the creeks sometimes to carry only the daily newspaper to a subscriber it was necessary to go as far as the creek of the well remembers Mireille Camoin… it was the Public Service in all its efficiency.
It was on December 9, 1978 that the inauguration of La Poste took place in its premises, which are still current and services.
The Roche Goat
Around La Roche: goat farming. Pastoralism was, at that time, promised a bright future. All these activities were developed after the construction of the route d’Ensuès, the Rove, Marseille via l’Estaque in 1848. The villages thus opened up allowed the economic opening of the Nerthe.
Madrague de Gignac
The traditions linked to fishing on the coast of Ensues. For a majority of people, if a “Madrague” generally refers to a seaside vacation spot, not so long ago it meant a huge fishery intended mainly for catching tuna during their migration…
Our coastline is full of traces that suggest that man has always exploited fishing resources. The various excavations on prehistoric sites have enabled the discovery of numerous shells and fish bones proving the importance of fishing in the diet of the first inhabitants of our town.
In Antiquity, our coast was occupied by a Celto-Ligurian tribe, the Avatici whose capital was Maritima Aviticorum (Martigues). However, during the long period of the invasions, the fear of the invaders coming from the sea led to a desertification of the coast… Since the 12th century, our coastline depended on the Prud’homie of the fishermen of Marseilles. This important corporation has operated continuously for almost a millennium and is certainly the oldest in France. It is she who manages the resources of the Sea with the help of industrial tribunal regulations. This corporation has long been in conflict with the noble operators of traps. The coast has always been generous for our fishermen over the decades, soups, bouillabaisses, lobsters,
Unfortunately, trawl fishing has turned things around with intensive fishing which has an impact on the reserves of all kinds of species.
The panoramic restaurant Dauphin in La Redonne. Called “Restaurant de la plage” for its immediate proximity to the Dugue beach, it was initially very functional for the bathing activity with bathing huts… But a quality of restoration and reputation for freshness of products from the sea made it famous.
It had a fishpond in which the reserves of fish, shellfish and in particular oysters, lobster and lobster were kept, enough to serve the best of the best at the table!
Magic Park Land
Magic Park Land is a French amusement park, located between Carry-le-Rouet and Ensuès-la-Redonne, in Bouches-du-Rhône, opened in 2003 following the acquisition of Eldorado City. The park has over twenty-five attractions.
Located in Ensuès la Redonne, it is the only amusement park on the blue coast and its surroundings. 8 hectares in the middle of the Provençal pine forest, 4 different sites, park with Mexican restaurant, Texan, Fast Food, crêperie, ice cream parlor and saloon.
In 2012, the park had more than twenty attractions and has been booming since 2005 with the arrival of the caterpillar, in 2007 with two new features: the jacks and the pirate ship, and in 2010 with two new features: crazy fly and Route 66. In 2011, babyland and speedy are the two novelties. For 2012, two new features: juke box and baby boat.
The church of Ensues was built from 1836 to 1839. It was in 1854 that its bell tower was erected. Apart from regular religious services, it hosts concerts from time to time (Corsican polyphonies in January 2005 for example ).
The trap Gignac (referred to Ginas the xvii th century), small port near the Redonne, sheltered, surrounded by villas. Like the neighboring creeks, access is regulated during peak periods. It is the starting point of a footpath towards the salt water calanque and Carry-le-Rouet.
The sea caves of Méjean are accessible by a footpath which follows the coast from La Redonne.
The scrubland surrounding the town are protected by the Coastal Conservatory.
The film La Villa by Robert Guédiguian was shot there.
Carry-le-Rouet is a family seaside and tourist resort, nicknamed the Pearl of the Blue Coast. Carry-le-Rouet is located between Ensuès-La-Redonne and Sausset-Les-Pins. At the foot of wooded hills, the site offers a jagged shore where creeks, creeks, beaches and capes follow one another.
It is a large natural beach of sand and pebbles, it is the main beach of Carry-le-Rouet.
Calanque de Fernandel
It is a small landscaped calanque is protected by a wooded cliff.
Cap Rousset beach
It is a sandy beach converted into terraces, in the heart of the marine reserve of the Côte Bleue Marine Park.
The calanque de la Tuilière
It is a small natural cove of pebbles, it is located about 1km from the city center.
Restaurants and bars:
All along the coast of Carry-Le-Rouet you will find various restaurants or bars such as Saint Trop, La Cale, l’Amiral or even Le Scoop. They are mainly grouped around the port of Carry.
You have the possibility of practicing several water sports such as sailing, kayaking, scuba diving, initiation to fishing, underwater walks in the reserve of the Marine Park of the Blue Coast and surfing.
You will find a Casino games with a chic and relaxed atmosphere during the day and evening and a night market at the edge of the port.
Carry-Le-Rouet has a 4-star campsite, the Lou Soleï campsite and caravan site, where you will find 4 swimming pools, a restaurant bar pizzeria and the Beaches just 100 meters away.
Sausset-les-Pins is a seaside resort on the Côte Bleue very busy in summer, there is a marina, beaches, sheltered coves, and many nautical and sports activities.
It is the main beach of Sausset-Les Pins, it is a large beach made up of sand and pebbles which is located near the city center.
Little nest beach
It is a small pebble beach.
Lime kiln beach
It is a small sandy and pebble beach surrounded by rocky plateaus
These are two small pebble beaches.
This beach is a mixture of sand and gravel. It is one of the widest beaches in Sausset les Pins.
Restaurants and bars:
You will find several bars like the duplex and the bistro and restaurants like the Amphora or the Anchor du Galion, all along the coast with a superb view of the sea.
You can practice several water sports such as diving, sailing, fishing, surfing, kite-surfing and body-boarding. Sausset-Les-Pins also has a 9 hectare golf park with 9 holes for a moment of relaxation.
L’Estaque is located in the sixteenth arrondissement of Marseille, near the Vieux Port district, L’Estaque is also a very famous seaport which has preserved its charm and Provençal tranquility.
Calanque de l’Estable
It is a small quiet pebble cove hidden between the cliffs.
It is a pebble beach next to Battery Beach and Lava Beach.
It is a sandy beach next to Fortin and Lava beaches.
It is a large sandy beach which is located near the port of Lava.
Restaurants and bars:
All along the coast, following the departmental road to Estaque beach, you will find several bars and restaurants such as l’Hippocampe, Larrieu, Lou Chembri, Rade or even Mastier.
It is possible to practice water sports at L’Estaque such as sailing, rowing, jousting, scuba diving and boat cruises.
You have several places to go visited at L’Estaque, monuments such as the fortress built in the 17th century, the Château Fallet magnificently bordered by olive groves, Notre Dame de la Galline which is an old religious building from the 11th century but still the Jardin de Corbière, for its part, is ideal for a family picnic.
La Couronne is a seaside resort known for its large sandy beaches.
It is a large sandy beach lined with shops
Old crown beach
It is a small beach made up of sand and pebbles located near a small port.
It is a small beach of pebbles and rocky plateaus.
Sainte Croix Beach
It consists of two sandy beaches overlooked by the Church of Holy Cross.
Restaurants and bars:
All along the coast you will find bars and restaurants such as Les Ombrelles, La Cote et mer, Cocoobeach or Lola Palooza.
You have the possibility of playing various beach games on the Verdon beach since it has volleyball or badminton nets.
Around la Couronne you will find several campsites, the Mouettes campsite and the Le Mas campsite which are located very close to the beach of Sainte-Croix, for its part, the Arquet campsite is located towards the old beach. Crowned.