The architecture of Malmö consists of different architecture styles and ranges from medieval times to today’s postmodernism. The city has a distinctive character from a Swedish perspective through the influences of Denmark and Germany in its architecture. In all times, the city’s architecture has been characterized by brick facades. In Malmö, there are many functionalist houses from the expansion of the city during the interwar period. In recent years, Malmö has been alerted to the city’s transformation with new, significantly higher buildings such as Turning Torso, Point Hyllie and Malmö Live.
Until the 1700s
Malmöhus castle with medieval ancestors was built between 1526 and 1539 and is thus the oldest preserved Renaissance castle in the Nordic region. At slottsholmen you can find Malmö Art Museum and Malmö Museum today. Near the castle there are also the Kommendanthuset (1786) and the castle square. The Flemish house from 1595 has a characteristic building style with varying red bricks, varying white crayons. Dringenbergska Farm is one of Malmö’s oldest farms, and is mentioned for the first time in the 1430s. The basement was restored in its original condition in 1963 by Sture Kelfve.
The residence in Malmö consists of two built houses, both from the late 16th century. The west is Kungshuset and the eastern Gyllenpalmska house. During the 17th century the royal house was owned by councilor Fadder Loch. The two houses were already assembled in 1728-30 to a building in function of residence for the county’s highest official, the governor. Today’s facade is the result of a reconstruction from 1851 with Fredrik Wilhelm Scholander as an architect. Niels Kuntze’s house includes the St. Gertrud cultural quarter and was built around 1530. Thottska husetis Malmö’s oldest preserved half-timbered house. The house underwent a violent restoration in the 1970s, which meant that most of the house’s houses were exchanged for modern building materials. Next door lies the Diedenska house from the 1620s.
Malmö Town Hall, which was commissioned in 1546, is the largest city hall in the Nordic region during the Middle Ages – the 1600s, is a two-story building with basements. The cellar still has its 16th century style while the upper floor of the 19th century was fitted with a very thin vault and magnificent stucco ceilings. Faxeska house was built in the 1760s by trader Hans Schiuberg. The house was restored by architect August Stoltz in 1910 and is thus the first in a large number of restored older houses in Malmö. Djäkegatshusen there are seven buildings along the Djäkta street, which were built in 1997. The houses are located on narrow plots whose layout dates back to the 1400s or earlier.
The residence in Malmö
Niels Kuntze’s house
Today’s town hall facade in Dutch Renaissance style came in the 1860s, replacing a neoclassical facade from the early 19th century. The architect Helgo Zettervall designed a very clear interpretation of how the original façade could (or perhaps according to Zettervall should have) looked like. On the facade there are sculpture designs that depict some of Malmö’s historically important men such as Jörgen Kock, Mattias Flensburg and others. The pharmacy The Lion of the architects Harald Boklund and August Lindvall (Lindvall & Boklund) is one of the city’s most distinctive buildings from the 19th century historicistperiod, built in 1896 in the new Renaissance based on the German Renaissance style during the late 1800’s Gründerzeit period. Hotell Kramer was built in 1877 by Anna and Fritz Kramer after drawings by Carl Ferdinand Rasmussen. The building is built in the French novel fair and marks a new more international form of expression in the architecture in a time when traveling is increasing.
The pipeline began to build in the 1870s following a plan by the then urban engineer Georg Gustafsson. The architecture of the area ranges from several different styles with emphasis on national romance, jugend and nyklassicism. The mix, despite the construction of the Rörsjöstad building, is a rare continuity with the four-story stone house in Malmö. In 1882 Sankt Pauli church was opened by Emil Viktor Langlet in Rörsjöstaden. From 1857, the Kockum area was developed with industrial buildings. Kirseberg(“Backarna”) became a working area and the rest of the city’s simple working houses, including Olsberg’s longings.
The Old Riksbank House in a strictly classical New Renaissance style was opened in 1888. Architect John Smedberg, one of Malmö’s most productive architects, made the drawings. Malmö Central Station’s big new 4-track track hall was completed in 1891. A ship of red brick was also built along Skeppsbron, which would contain premises for the administration, as it does today. In 1924 the current stadium was built. The architect of this building was Folke Zettervall.
Salomon Sörensen belongs to Malmö’s most productive architects. In 1894, the first parts of the University Hospital Mas were built after drawings by Sörensen, who was appointed city architect in 1893. The hospital has since been expanded in several stages and includes several architectural styles with architects such as Carl-Axel Stoltz, Sture Kelfve and Fritz Jaenecke. As a city architect, Sörensen also created several schools, including the Middle School of Preschools (School of Fine Arts) and the East Preliminary School (now called Rörsjöskolan). 1898 was recordedRibersborg cold bath house. Axel Stenberg designed mainly multi-family houses, including in Rörsjöstaden and Möllevången when the areas were built. Stenberg also designed several industrial buildings in Malmö, including Kockum 1909-1913. Stenberg also drew the Victory Cinema (1912).
The Jugendhuset at Stora Nygatan from 1895 by Harald Boklund and August Lindvall is considered the first building in Malmö inspired by the Art Nouveau style. The Hippodrome of Theodor Wåhlin was opened in 1899 as one of the world’s most modern circus and theater buildings with many mechanical features, enabling flexible switching of the facility for various performances, theater, circus, horse manege and an unusual, fast-changing waterman.
Malmö Central Station
Riksbank House, Malmö
University Hospital Mas
Ribersborg cold bath house
The Moorish Pavilion from 1901-1902 was built on behalf of the labor movement and was designed by Aron Krenzisky. With its seven towers and a tivoli architecture influenced by the orientalism of the turn of the century, it is unique in its kind in Sweden. Malmö synagoga was opened in 1903 and was designed by Malmö architect John Smedberg, but Krenzisky had made plans for a synagogue in Malmö a few years earlier. The synagogue is built in a Moorish style, one of the few remaining synagogues in Europe built in this style. Central Post Office of Ferdinand Bobergis a building-listed house built 1900-1906 in a national romantic style, close to the Central Station and the berths’ berths.
Malmö received influences from Germany and architects in the city around the turn of the 1900s had studied in Berlin and gained insight into the developments there, including Oscar Hägg, Oscar Boklund, August Lindvall and Alfred Arwidius. Malmö architect Gösta Olson studied in turn at the arts academy in Düsseldorf. Hägg’s buildings usually got a heavy powerful architecture related to Art Nouveau architecture in Berlin. He adorned the facades with an imaginative jugendornamentik with motifs from the animal world. The Art Nouveau Palace in Art Nouveau by Alfred Arwidius was built by the builderChristian Lauritz Müller 1901-03. It was built so that you could have a home, office and factory in the same place. Arwidius was also the architect of the Sjöbergska palace with his unnatural facades in French Renaissance style. In 1904 the Battlehouse was ready. The main building was designed by the city architect Salomon Sörensen and was the municipal slaughterhouse 1904-1969. Sankt Petri School was opened in 1908 as a real school, architect was John Smedberg. August Ewe and Carl Melincame together to create many buildings in Malmö from 1905 until 1924. Their early buildings were built in a restrained Art Nouveau style. During the 1910s, more and more influences of national romance were observed. In Malmö, Ewe & Melin created, among other things, Bank Oxie Härad’s savings bank (1916) and City Hall on Amiralsgatan (1922).
The Baltic Exhibition 1914 was the last manifestation of Art Nouveau in Sweden.. Hamngatan, the road between Stortorget and Malmö Central Station, expanded sharply before the exhibition and became a paradigm in the city with Frans Ekelund’s newly built Hotel Savoy (1912-1914). Södervärn tower 1916 in Möllan of Salomon Sorensen was considered as one of Malmö architectural masterpiece. In 1917 an architectural competition was finalized for a new cemetery in Malmö – Östra kyrkogården. The winning contest proposal by architect Sigurd Lewerentz. He came during the period 1917-1969 to answer for all major new buildings and changes in the cemetery.
Central Post Office
Sankt Petri school
The city plan for the Davidshallstorg area was developed in 1924 by Erik Bülow-Hübe, and the 1920- century-style building was built in 1928 – 34. August Stoltz, who, among other things, made the cinema Palladium and the residential district of Mannhem became a new urban architect in 1924. Malmö came afterhand to take on functionalism, but the new style of construction initially was difficult to beat. Characteristic of the funk in Malmö was that yellow brick was used and that the shape of the houses was adapted to the city’s historical design. [2 ]
During the 1930s, Malmö began to be characterized by functionalism, and the city’s architects were influenced by modern architecture in Germany, several had studied in Berlin (including Thorsten Roos.). The German influence on the architecture of Malmö ceased in connection with World War II. Erik Bülow Hübe was the first city engineer in Malmö in 1921 – 1946 and propagated for and introduced the open functionalist building method in Malmö. This was reflected in, for example, Kronborg,Dammfri and Ribersborg. Bülow Hübe also planned to include Rostorp, Pildammsparken and the Outdoor City. The builder and designer Eric Sigfrid Persson began to become a key player in functionalism in Malmö. He built a number of highly-rated residential areas in Malmö, such as Malmgården (1934-1935), Ribershus (1937-1938) and the Open Air Town (1942-1948). The open air town is highlighted as one of Sweden’s most important and most interesting terraced areas. A productive architect in Malmö at this time was Fritz Österlind, who had many assignments for HSB. Interesting is the Siriusord House from 1932 with its art deco details that is an unusual thing in Malmö.
Malmgården was built in 1934 – 35 and was designed by architects Eiler Græbe and Birger Linderoth. Malmgården is one of Sweden’s most famous funky houses. Ribershus from 1937 to 1943 is also performed in a functionalist style by the architects Nils Einar Eriksson, David Helldén, Stig Dranger, Rune Welin, Carl Mattsson and Fritz Voigt.. Ribershus raised great national attention in connection with the inauguration on September 7, 1938, which was made in the form of the housing fair Vi Bo. The first uniformly designed residential area in Malmö was created in Ellstorp in 1937-1943 under the leadership of Thorsten Roos, Sven Grönqvist and the construction manager Hugo Åberg. Thorsten Rose’s great production, from the 1930s to the 1960s, is explained by his collaboration with today’s major builders in Malmö: HSB, SME and Hugo Åberg. Åberg had a strong position as CEO of HSB from the 1940s to 1957. Ljungman’s workshopsThe former factory in funk style by Mauritz Dahlberg belongs to the premier industrial houses in funkis. Another example is Thorsten Rose’s factory for Aga Faxius in Industrihamnen.
Carl-Axel Stoltz succeeded in 1942 his father August Stoltz as a city architect. Stoltz, as an architect, was clearly influenced by functionalism and designed several purely functional buildings, such as Kolgapalatset , at the same time, could perform buildings in a much more conservative style (Industriverkens hus and Östra Sjukhuset). Malmö Opera was designed by architects Sigurd Lewerentz, David Helldén and Erik Lallerstedtand was built in 1933-1944. The theater building combines a functionalist division into several building volumes for various purposes with a monumental form language with classical features.
Malmö city theater
Augustenborg started as the first residential area of SMEs to be built in 1948 and was completed in 1952. Malmö’s new urban plan manager Gunnar Lindman laid the foundation for the construction of Augustenborg. The plan work had begun by his representative Erik Bülow-Hübe. Swedish city planners were inspired by English and American ideas on neighborhood units at this time. The residential area was designed by the Swedish Riksbyggen Architectural Office. The area was well received by the fact that it was soon built similar areas designed by Gunnar Lindman, including the Mellanhedenand Persborg. The people’s house at Nobel Square, which was completed in 1948, goes into funk style and was designed by Hans Westman. During the 1950s, the first houses with concrete elements, including Jaenecke & Samuelsson at Östra Sorgenfri. Fritz Jaenecke / Sten Samuelson and Thorsten Roos / Bror Thornberg, through their collaborations, formed the two leading private architectural offices in Malmö.
The Motorami House from 1958 was designed by architect Lennart Bergström and, with its large volume and distinctive fifteenth -century architecture, represents a distinctive profile in the urban landscape. Another office house from the same period is Hans Westmans Öresundshuset. In 1958, the Malmö Stadium and later the Baltic Hall (1964) were both designed by the architect office Jaenecke & Samuelson. The residential area Lorensborg was formed at the same time and was first called Stadionstaden. Architect duck had previously created the housing agency Boggivagnen (1951-1953). and was internationally noted during the 1950s. Fritz Jaenecke came through the contact with Bülow-Hübe to Malmö and, together with Stoltz, created the Idoffhuset and the Amiral. In 1958-59, the town hall was completed with a modern extension of Sture Kelfve.
The 1960s involved several major construction projects that created new landmarks in Malmö. The Crown Prince of Thorsten Roos was with his 75 meters the tallest building in Malmö for a period. The facade is dressed in blue mosaic pieces. Sydsvenskanhuset (SDS-huset) was completed in 1965 and is 55m high distributed on 15 floors. The architect Sture Kelfve created a house whose disposition would follow the production chain, from the editors to the loading dock, and were thought to resemble a ship – the main house would be the “bridge” and the editors “the deck”. A characteristic office building created Ralph Erskine for Pågens with a unique interior in an early office landscape. In 1963, Nordiska Kompaniet opened a branch in the new premises, designed by the painter architect Thorsten Roos (today Hansa). 1965 received Lärarhögskolan Malmö of Carl Nyren first building in Malmö Kasper Salin price.
the community House
The big residential projects were the 1960s and 1970s Rosengård was built in 1962-1969. Rosengård is an example of the new construction technique with prefabricated concrete, and the construction of the construction cranes was the basis for the house’s location. For the architecture of the houses were Jaenecke & Samuelsson and Thorsten Roos. City plans for the various subareas were formally made by Gunnar Lindman’s successor Gabriel Winge, but other architects had a major part in planning (Thorsten Roos, Bror Thornberg, Bo Ahlström, Svenivar Ekstrand). In Rosengård was also the office building Tre Skåne and Rosengård center. Other areas built during the same period are Almgården and Lindängen. At the same time, in central Malmö, old buildings were rebuilt in favor of center formation when Caroli City, a business, residential and office complex, was built in 1969-1973 and the construction of Värnhemscity. The Lugnet area of Malmö underwent a drastic change when the old buildings were demolished and replaced by modern buildings on a large scale, which led to protests. At the same time Malmö’s largest restoration effort was undertaken throughout the ages when the 19th-century Gertrud quarter with 19 buildings was restored, a project that received the Europa Nostra diploma.
Malmö Konsthall by Klas Anshelm was opened in 1975 and awarded the Kasper Salin Prize in 1974. Anshelm was also the architect of Sydkraft’s new headquarters, which was completed in 1971 and is in brutal style in bricks. Another large office building project was the modernist and controversial state house (1972-1974) by Bernt Nyberg for the county administrative board, which was built in a second phase (1977-1981). Sten Samuelsson created several buildings in Malmö in addition to Malmö Stadium. Victoria Parksmain building is the building materials group Euroc’s old headquarters was designed by Samuelsson in 1977 and is an early example of postmodern Swedish architecture. The church of Samuel’s Church of Saint Matthew (1983) clearly contrasts with the traditional image of a church. The architect has been inspired by this and let the trees symbolically continue into the church. The construction of Malmö Mosque began in 1983 and was inaugurated in 1984, Sweden’s first mosque built for the purpose. Since 1982, Malmö City has issued Malmö City Urban Price
During the 1980s, parts of central Malmö changed the character through major new construction. Malmö Concert Hall in Lugnet with congress and conference activities was opened in 1985. The Triangle shopping mall at Triangeln in central Malmö was opened on September 21, 1989. The hotel’s 20-storey hotel and 69 meters above the ground are adjacent to the mall and was completed in 1989 as Sheraton Malmö City. The architecture is postmodernist and architect Greger Dahlström. Malmö also got a new polishus at Slussen. Housing construction also created postmodernist buildings where detail and historical references came back. An example is Hans Asklund’s residential building on Västergatan from 1986.
An interesting architectural project from the 1990s constitutes Bo 100, which was created in criticism of the Malmö 1986 fair and the standardization of the construction. Bo 100 is a colorful house with 39 apartments in Monbijou on Möllevången, created by Ivo Waldhör together with the future tenants. The project attracted great international attention.
During the 1990s, a new residential area was followed in the Potato field in Fridhem. Malmö City Library was designed by the Danish architect Henning Larsen and opened on May 31, 1997. The castle was restored and reopened on September 24, 1999. The castle, as it was called, was originally built for the Malmö Museum, and was designed by architect John Smedberg and Fredrik Sundbärg.
Malmö Art Hall
Country State House
Euroc (today Victoria Park)
St. Matthew’s Church
Malmö City Hall
Malmö City Library
The 2000s included a number of construction nations that were noted nationally and internationally. Housing exhibition Bo01 in the Western Harbor was organized in 2001 and marked the city’s transformation. For the design of the city plan, the chief architect of the bombing was Klas Tham. Architects involved were Wingårdh Architectural Office, White Architects and Ralph Erskine The Landmark in the Western Harbor is Turning Torso, designed and constructed by the architect Santiago Calatrava, is Sweden’s and the Nordic Highest Skyscraper with its 190.4 meters in height.
Urbana Villas in the Western Harbor by architects Sie Sie Sieger, Pontus Åqvist and Landscape Architect Karin Larsson were awarded the Kasper Salin Prize (2009). Malmö High School’s Hurricane Hurricane at Hjälmarekajen at Universitetsholmen in Malmö was completed in 2005. The underground railway station Triangeln was taken together with the City Tunnel in operation on December 12, 2010. The station was designed by KHR Arkitekter and Sweco and was named the 2011 winner of the Kasper Salin Prize. Malmo Central Station also received a new underground station section along with a new modern part of the station house at ground level.
The new indoor arena Malmö Arena in Hyllievång was opened in 2008. Malmö also received a new football arena in Swedbank Stadium by the Architect Firm CF Møller. The same architectural firm created the Acute and Infection Clinic SUS (2006-2010), which was nominated for the Kasper Salin Prize 2010. Within the culture, the Modern Museum Malmö 2009 was opened in Rooseum’s former premises. The 1900-01 built building was designed by John Smedberg. Tham & Videgård Hansson Architects designed the extension.
Malmö has also acquired new shopping malls through Entré Malmö at Värnhem (2009) and Emporia (2012) at Malmö Arena and the city tunnel station in Hyllievång. In Svågertorp, a new Ikea office will be built, drawn by Dorte Mandrup.
The West harbour
Court of Appeal over Skåne and Blekinge
Infection clinic University Hospital Mas
Modern Museum Malmö
Source from Wikipedia