The 8th arrondissement of Lyon is one of nine districts of Lyon. The 8th district of Lyon is situated between the 3th and 7th districts of Lyon and the towns of Bron and Vénissieux. Its area is 670 ha. In history and metamorphosis, the 8th was forged around symbols: the rose, cinema, Tony Garnier’s architecture, theater and later dance, while keeping its strong industrial imprint. Created almost 60 years ago, it continues its economic and urban development.
Long shaped by its inhabitants, the 8th district is today a district where life is good. Innovative architecture, efficient transport, dynamic shops, dense associative fabric and quality green spaces, our arrondissement stands out as a significant territory in the heart of Greater Lyon.
Country of pioneers like the Lumière Brothers or Tony Garnier, the 8th arrondissement was forged around symbols: the rose, cinema, theater and dance, while keeping its strong industrial imprint. Created a little over 50 years ago, it continues to develop today, rebuilding itself and capitalizing on its potential, in particular thanks to the conversion of industrial wastelands.
Upon incorporation of Commons during the French Revolution, the territory of the current 8th district is part of the municipality of La Guillotière. The current territory then retains a rural character.
In 1828, the plan of the subdivision of the domain of the Château des Tournelles was drawn up. In the 1830s, this subdivision, named Monplaisir, was separated from the village of Guillotière by the belt line of the fortifications. The decree of March 24, 1852 connects the municipalities of Vaise, La Croix-Rousse and La Guillotière to the municipality of Lyon and it then becomes essential to carry out an administrative division of the city. Five districts are created and the territory of the current 8th is then district of the 3 th district.
The current territory of 8th district is developing especially in the second part of the xix th century and the first part of the xx th century around old village cores phase of industrialization (Montplaisir, Large Hole). The United States district was built in the 1930s. At the same time, a university hospital complex was built in the Grange Blanche area. In 1912, part of the 3 th district south of the alignment of the course Gambetta, of Albert Thomas course and the Rockefeller Avenue, including the territory of the present 8th arrondissement, is detached to form the 7 th arrondissement.
The February 19, 1959, Michel Debré, Prime Minister, validates by decree the modification of the number of boroughs (8) and the number of municipal assistants (21). On that date, the 8th district is born taking its independence from the 7 th arrondissement.
To prepare for the creation of this district, the municipal team surveyed the future 8th in search of fertile ground for the implementation of the Town Hall. Since the 1 st April 1959, The records of Vital 8th record the first deaths and births of the district, while they still share the offices of the town hall of the 7 th. TheMay 4, 1959, the Municipal Council approves the installation project of the temporary premises on the Place du Bachut. “La Baraque”, with an area of 800 m 2, is operational after a few weeks, and opens its doors to the public on 1 st October 1966. For 7 years, residents, elected officials and municipal officials use this temporary town hall. InMarch 1963, the mayor proposes the construction project of a town hall which will be adopted by the municipal council, with a budget of 11,441,000 francs. The set is designed by Pierre Bourdeix, and the inauguration takes place on October 20, 1966.
Until 1983, the mayors of districts remained under the authority of the deputies of the central town hall, delegates for each district. The application of the PML law ofDecember 31, 1982requires the establishment of elected district councils, chaired by an elected district mayor. The first to be was Robert Batailly between 1983 and 1989.
Lyon, city of culture is renowned for its major events. The cultural actors of the city, large or small, have many opportunities to collaborate. Culture emerges from its palaces to the delight of Lyonnais who actively participate in the life of their city.
Cultural facilities and institutions, as well as socio-cultural structures (social centers, MJC…) are numerous in the 8th arrondissement and fully participate in the life of the neighborhoods. The plurality of structures participating in the cultural life of Lyon, make the Lyon metropolis a land of creation and cultural wealth. They also help create a unique identity in each arrondissement.
The municipal library
The Municipal Library of Lyon is made up of a network of 16 libraries (the Part-Dieu Central Library and 14 libraries and 1 media library present in all districts of Lyon) and 3 bookmobiles serving either directly neighborhoods or communities for adults or children (residences for the elderly, social centers, PMIs, schools, nurseries, etc.). The missions of the “BML” are multiple. They range from the conservation and enhancement of a considerable written and graphic heritage (the most important in France after that of the BnF), to actions to promote books and reading in “sensitive” neighborhoods, through a strong lending activity (around 3.6 million loans per year), assistance for documentary research, education (especially for students and schoolchildren) and cultural events (exhibitions, conferences, reading or writing workshops, etc.). In direct contact with changes in the information society, the BML also plays an important role in the appropriation of NICTs by the greatest number.
The Light Institute
The Lumière Institute, an association under the 1901 law, was created to make cinema exist where it was invented, in Lyon-Monplaisir, on the site of the Lumière factories. In twenty years, the Lumière Institute has developed, under the leadership of its President, Bertrand Tavernier, a filmmaker of Lyon origin, and its Managing Director, Thierry Frémeaux, a very active artistic and heritage policy.
The House of Dance
On June 17, 1980, the first Maison de la Danse in France was inaugurated in Lyon in a former village hall on the plateau de la Croix-Rousse, a theater whose program is exclusively devoted to choreographic art.. Even today, it is a unique place of its kind in Europe. It is the House of all dance, of all dances. On its stage, guests dance classical, modern, contemporary, hip hop, tap dance, butoh, tango, katak, jazz, flamenco… Its missions: to open up to dance in all its forms and all its techniques, to invite the major choreographers of the 21st century, young contemporary creators, to bring together creation and repertoire, to develop the interest of children and adolescents, the public of tomorrow. The House is exemplary by its complementary activities: video library, video meeting, public meetings and rehearsals. In September 1992, the Maison de la Danse left the Théâtre de la Croix-Rousse (700 seats) to move into the Théâtre du Huitième (1,100 seats). With this transfer, the Maison de la Danse gains an even stronger identity.
The Nouvau theater of the 8th (NTH8)
A place of production and theatrical creation, the Nouveau Théâtre du 8ème is run by the Trois-Huit, a theater company. At the crossroads of multiple artistic practices, it is a crossroads of exchanges, a theater of all times where we come to get lost, find ourselves, experiment, question, affirm… The NTH8 is inventing itself day after day: a contemporary, shared theater, a place for artistic exchanges, a theater open to all, a theater from near and far.
The Tony Garnier Urban Museum
Built by the architect Tony Garnier between 1920 and 1933, the Cité Tony Garnier underwent monumental rehabilitation in 1983. In 1988, on the initiative of the inhabitants, artists from the Cité de la Création designed and produced 25 monumental paintings on the walls of the district. The Tony Garnier Urban Museum now offers an open-air tour around painted walls, an apartment-museum from the 1930s, an exhibition space of 300 square meters as well as an Urban Interpretation Center on the theme of integration of art and culture into urban renewal.
The City of Lyon wishes to facilitate access for as many people as possible to the six municipal museums by launching the Museum Card. It allows visitors to visit, for one year from the date of purchase, all the permanent collections and temporary exhibitions, on opening days and times. The six museums concerned are: Museum of Contemporary Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Gadagne. Museum Printing, Museum Automobile Museum Henri Malartre, Center for the History of the Resistance and Deportation.
Festive and cultural events
Lyon, city of culture is renowned for its major events. The city’s cultural players, large or small, have many opportunities to collaborate in each arrondissement. Culture emerges from its palaces to the delight of Lyonnais who actively participate in the life of their city. If the Festival of Lights is the emblematic event of the city, other events contribute to the cultural influence of Lyon: the Biennale de la Danse and its famous parade, the Nuits Sonores, the Nuits de Fourvière or the Lumière Festival, dedicated to the history of cinema…
Festival of Lights
Today, the Festival of Lights is an integral part of Lyon’s tradition and is one of the markers of its identity. If Lyon was for centuries a city of commerce, a city of fairs, a city of silk, Lyon was also, by tradition, a festive city, bearer of popular events, which marked its life and that of its inhabitants.
In the period following the revolts of 1831, 1834 and 1848, the city experienced a period of unrest, marked by social conflicts, by recurring floods, but also by the transformation of the city with the attachment of the municipalities bordering Vaise, de la Guillotière and Croix-Rousse. During this period, Lyon lost its autonomy, power being then concentrated in the hands of the Prefect. It was in these difficult times that, on September 8, 1852, they decided to install a golden statue of Mary on the bell tower of Fourvière, but the floods forced this day to be canceled. The event is postponed to December 8, Marian day celebrating the Immaculate Conception. A whole series of religious events is planned, and in the evening, the Lyonnais illuminate their windows with candles placed in colored glasses. Bad weather spoils the official ceremonies but, the elements having calmed down, the Lyonnais decide, more and more, to light up their home.
The Festival of Lights was born, a sign of popular communion in which the people of Lyon find themselves in a spirit of solidarity. This is the spirit of the Festival, the spirit of the candles placed in the windows. Year after year, the religious and official component of the Feast of December 8 is therefore coupled with a festive and popular component, to become today, with the Feast of Lights, this strong moment in the minds of Lyonnais, where all come together to express their joy at being together and admiring their city “.
Created in 2003, Nuits Sonores has become the first French festival of independent and electronic culture. This event now occupies an important place in the European landscape. In more than ten editions, Nuits Sonores continues to promote music, scenography and visual creations.
Festival Lumière du cinema
The Lumière Prize is awarded to an artist for all of his work. They received the light prize: Clint Eastwood, Milos Forman, Gérard Depardieu, Ken Loach, Quentin Tarentino and Pedro Almodovar, Martin Scorsese.
Nights of Fourvière
The Nuits de Fourvière are devoted to the performing arts and, since 1946, have endeavored to make the disciplines coexist. Every summer, in June and July, the festival presents nearly 60 performances for more than 130,000 spectators.
Everyone Outside is celebrating summer by bringing together around 250 artistic and participatory outdoor events, completely free and open to all. Every year, Tout l’monde outside offers, in the 9 arrondissements of Lyon, a multitude of artistic and participatory events in the public space. With a program more widely open to leisure, entertainment, shows and activities invite Lyonnais to meet and discuss in a spirit of “living together” and “doing together”, beautiful moments of relaxation and conviviality
The International Assises of the Roman
Every year during the last week of May, they bring together writers, journalists, artists, researchers, scientists and thinkers from all over the world at Les Subsistances. By offering to cross views, the debates, round tables and interviews in which they take part offer an original light on literary questions (crime in literature, the role of memory, the links between reality and fiction…) but also more largely on social issues (globalization, the writing of the disaster…). Diversity of voices, diversity of languages: a week of discussions and reading in Lyon and the Rhône-Alpes region. Writers, actors, philosophers, astronauts, physicists, great reporters, screenwriters for debates and round tables are present.
For three days, the city turns into the world capital of thrillers. It is therefore an opportunity for lovers of the genre to satisfy their passion, to meet confirmed authors and rising stars, and for neophytes, to discover a culture at the crossroads of the imaginary and the real. All aspects of the genre will be scrutinized: from the noir novel to the historical novel, through the thriller and the mystery novel, but also all the modes of expression of black culture with literature, cinema., theater, comics, youth…
How can we ensure that dance can be present, easy to rub shoulders with, including where we did not expect it a priori, sometimes even outside the theaters where it usually occurs? The Biennale tries at every opportunity to build this specific time of meeting and to show singular gestures. Conceived without any particular theme and in complete freedom, the program favors desire, gluttony and favorites. It is a declaration of love for dance. Highlight: the Des Terreaux parade in Bellecour, more than 4,500 amateur participants from the Lyon region will give you their interpretation of the annual theme during the largest choreographed parade in Europe… The parade is open to everyone, if you wish to participate (dance, costume, singing, music, visual arts, stilts, etc.) ask the groups for information.
Contemporary Art Biennale
After having co-curated the first three Biennials of 1991/95, Thierry Raspail has since suggested, to the curators he invites, to think about a word that synthesizes for him the artistic news of the moment. This word is valid for three editions and forms the basis of a trilogy lasting six years. Therefore, it’s a long time that we go through… it’s already almost a story…
Music Day in Lyon
Every year on June 21, beef in the metro, symphonic lunch, office outing with a bang before a concert evening: the city is festive and music lovers satisfied. Passionate amateurs or young talents, there are nearly 280 artists in more than 80 public places: this day is an opportunity to meet their audience, in a light and family atmosphere in Lyon.
This event, organized by the Ministry of Culture and Communication is further proof that the night is not the domain of clubs and concerts, but that the graphic arts also have their night owl public. Many museums in Lyon open their doors to you free of charge part of the night. Complementary activities are also offered.
Since 1984, the European Heritage Days have been the unmissable back-to-school cultural event. These two days are an opportunity to take another look at Lyon’s heritage through organized urban walks. Unusual routes, themed tours and various excursions unveil the treasures of the city and meet you in places usually closed to the public. Recognized by UNESCO, Lyon has a rich cultural and historical heritage that the event offers you the opportunity to discover in a festive and friendly atmosphere.
The big concert of the 8th arrondissement
The great concert of the 8th arrondissement, carried by the Town Hall of the 8th arrondissement and the Musiques aux choirs association of the 8th arrondissement, brings together all the music schools and choirs of the district. Each year, the schools and music schools and choirs of the 8th arrondissement offer spectators a great quality concert, around an eclectic program, within the Maison de la Danse.
The city of Lyon is one of three French municipalities currently divided into municipal districts (with Paris and Marseille). The 8th district, located in the extreme southeast of the city,
The law No.82-1169 of December 31, 1982 relating to the administrative organization of Paris, Lyon, Marseille and public establishments for inter-municipal cooperation, known as the PLM Law after the names of the cities concerned, is the French law which has established the particular administrative status applicable in particular to the city of Lyon. It was adopted in the context of the decentralization law (known as the Deferre Law) of March 2, 1982.
In this context, the PLM law transformed the former district town halls into structures elected at the local level. However, they are not fully-fledged town halls, and in particular do not levy taxes, but distribute the credits delegated to them by the Lyon Town Hall. However, they manage certain municipal facilities, and are consulted by the City of Lyon before certain decisions of local interest.
The urban development of the 8th district is very much due to one man: Marie-Vital Henry, known as Baron des Tournelles, owner of Château des Tournelles. Between 1816 and 1817, the prefect appointed him mayor of the commune of Guillotière. Owner of a huge estate that stretched from the current Manufacture des Tabacs to Place Ambroise Courtois and from avenue Lacassagne to avenue Berthelot, he developed an urban planning operation in 1828 by organizing the division of his plot in 400 lots. Sales started slowly, but within a few years the place was populated with small houses.
The Saint Maurice church which was created in 1845 when the Baron des Tournelles offered a piece of his land to the archbishop in charge of preparing the project.
The Lumière School Group and the Saint Maurice school: The Lumière school opened in 1890 in a spacious space, followed in 1909 by that of Saint Maurice, financed by wealthy families in the area.
The Bandstand: The president of Lyra Monplaisir called out to the city in the early xx th century to build the Bandstand. The Lumière family supported this request and a fundraiser was launched. The kiosk was built in 1912 and disappeared in 1958 during the redevelopment of the square. The arrival of the metro in the district in 1987 led to a new redevelopment and reinstallation of the Kiosk in the same location.
The Place Ambroise Courtois: it is named in tribute to the radical socialist, a friend of Edouard Herriot and alderman of Lyons, who was murdered by the militiaJanuary 1944.
The MJC Monplaisir: located on one of the footbridges of the Tournelles subdivision. It was born carried at arm’s length by strong personalities of the district in 1962.
The Lumière Institute: home of the cinema with a dual vocation of heritage conservation and dissemination since its creation in 1982.
La Manufacture des Tabacs (Jean-Moulin-Lyon-III University): when the SEITA, owner of the site announces its departure, the Lyon urban community seizes the opportunity. Extensive works lasting more than three years rehabilitated the building which opened its doors in 1992.
Grange Blanche – Laënnec – Transvaal
This district, marked by the establishment of the Lyon university hospital pole which stretches along the old path from Monplaisir to Saint-Alban, today Laënnec, also includes the Transvaal to come up against the edges of Bron.
Grange Blanche has always been dedicated to charitable work. The district was in a way the retirement home of the knights then sold to the city of Lyon which built the Édouard Herriot hospital there.
The district of Laënnec, named after René-Théophile-Hyacinthe Laënnec, doctor and inventor of the stethoscope.
The Transvaal, name given to a street opened in the 1900s out of sympathy for the resistance of the Boers against the English during the conflicts between them in South Africa in the said region of the Transvaal.
Place du Bachut has always been a gateway to the city. There is nothing to say since when it bears the same name if it finds in the written record in terms of the early xx th century. With the development of the city, this initially rural district is growing. Auto factories and cheap housing were established there.
We find at Bachut:
La Mâche school, which opened its doors in 1920,
The Marguerite Duras Media Library: instead of a bar in former social housing.
After 1945, Avenue Marcellin-Berthelot (now Avenue Berthelot) ended at Place du Bachut. Its extension was envisaged with the proposal made by Édouard Herriot in 1917. It was very quickly abandoned. The architect and town planner Jacques-Henri Lambert studied an ambitious project in 1942: a vast operation of a housing estate for 6,840 inhabitants in the extension of Berthelot. This proposal fell into oblivion but the avenue Mermoz took shape.
At the beginning of the 1960s, the galloping demography caused an urgent need for housing. Urbanization is carried out under the leadership of Louis Pradel. This is how the renamed new districts were born. The reception was very enthusiastic with the installation of many shops, schools, social facilities, public services.
We find there:
The Church of the Holy Trinity, founded in 1959 and which was in operation from 1963.
The Social Center, whose construction begins in May 1965 to finish in 1967. The building accommodates activities and services to the population.
The summer pool.
The Mermoz district has become a gateway to the city. A rehabilitation project was initiated in the 1990s and began with the arrival of the metro in 1990. Today, new rehabilitations are underway with renovations, destruction or reconstruction of housing.
Often called Monplaisir – La Plaine, the district has long been covered with market gardens and large rose nurseries. Urbanization began in 1828 with the subdivision of Tournelles. Over time, many small houses were built. After the 1950s, the district tightened around the Place Général André, a real village in the city. The market which takes place three mornings a week is the real meeting place in the neighborhood.
We find in the district of La Plaine:
The Jean Macé school which opened in 1887 thanks to the work of the architect Cumin. When it opened, it was three schools in one: kindergarten, elementary boys and elementary girls. Today, the school has 17 classes and 400 students.
The church and school of Notre Dame de l’Assomption, which was opened on August 15, 1908. The woodwork was carried out by the students of the school of La Mâche. Church of market gardeners and peasants, it later became that of workers in large factories. An extension is made for the creation of a school which now has 9 classes and 250 students.
The Maison du Peuple, founded in 1992 by veterans of the First World War. Today, she works in collaboration with the inhabitants in the realization of cultural projects.
Before the construction of the city Tony Garnier, this vast plain was only composed of meadows and fields. During the interwar period, the proliferation of factories and a significant wave of immigration led to the expansion of the urban proletariat and a real housing crisis. The United States district was born at this time.
Today there are different sites in the United States district:
The Tony Garnier city: The long dreamed of countryside town became reality in the 1920s thanks to the meeting between Édouard Herriot, mayor of Lyon since 1905, and Tony Garnier, architect and town planner Lyonnais. From 1912, the first wanted to expand the city and create a Guillotière-Vénissieux axis. Tony Garnier is working on this project to build factories, housing, public services and schools for a total of 12,000 inhabitants over a length of 5 kilometers. To carry out this project, we create a public office of Habitat Bon Marché (HBM) onMay 29, 1920. The first tenant settles on 1 st July 1930.
The boulevard was named Boulevard des Etats-Unis in 1917 to “commemorate the entry into the world conflict of the great American republics” (meeting of the municipal council ofMay 7, 1917).
Since then, the district has continued to evolve and there are:
The social center of the United States: it was born in 1948-1949 by the merger of the home of the United States and the family center created by the parish.
New housing groups: after World War II, we witnessed several years of reconstruction and an increase in the rental stock. The general condition is deteriorating and the modernity of the place is outdated. The old quarter is losing its grandeur.
The Urban Museum, which was born from the proposal of the inhabitants, and which consists of a model apartment from the 1930s, murals and an exhibition space. In 1991, UNESCO will salute this initiative by awarding the label of the “world decade for cultural development”.
The covered market at the Halle: Initially located in the center of the boulevard, between the traffic lanes, the United States market became a covered market in 1988.
The new theater in the 8th arrondissement: the disappearance of the United States’ MJC in 1983 leaves a performance hall vacant. The decision was then taken to convert the premises into a theater, which was done in 2003.
Grand Trou – Windmill – Petite Guille
The three districts form the west of the arrondissement in the curve of the railway line at the borders of Vénissieux and Saint-Fons.
Grand Trou is a plain on the left bank of the Rhône.
La Petite-Guille is an important crossroads. Its name seems without historical basis but can easily be understood by the fact that many low houses follow one another on the street front.
Windmill: its name has often turned the heads of historians. The end of a mill wing was found, shattered by the storm on Christmas night 1748. The mill subsequently stopped grinding. The installation reminds us of the agricultural function of this vast plain.
What we find in the neighborhood:
School Group Philibert Delorme: until xix th century there was in the neighborhood a private girls school, a private school and a mixed secular course. The population has continued to grow, resulting in a growing need for additional infrastructure. The first school year began in 1887: four classes for girls and four for boys. The school was completely renovated in 2007 and now accommodates 620 students.
Saint Vincent de Paul Church: in 1855, the district had 2,000 inhabitants. Cardinal Bonald decided to create a new parish.
Espace des 4 Vents (socio-cultural equipment in connection with the development of the MJC Monplaisir)
On the natural side, your arrondissement offers you many nearby parks or gardens, the opportunity to take advantage of a green setting, whether for sport, for a family picnic or to cultivate your well-being.
Parks and garden
The City provides its inhabitants and visitors with a multitude of spaces with very varied colors, atmospheres and dimensions.
Park head gold
Among the largest and most beautiful urban parks in France, the Parc de la Tête d’Or is a real invitation to escape. 117 hectares composed of vast lawns and wooded areas, nearly 9,000 trees of various species, a rose garden, a fallow deer meadow, a superb 17 hectare lake, set the northern part of the City of Lyon like an emerald green jewel., on the banks of the Rhône. The park offers various leisure activities: different boats to navigate the lake, little train, carousels, Guignol theater. On the other hand, it houses two famous gardens of incomparable wealth:
The zoological garden:
The watchword of the zoo: the conservation of endangered species. Among the 61 species received, 25 are the subject of a European breeding program. An area of 8 ha, 2.7 of which are reserved for the African plain. The zoo at Parc de la Tête d’Or is free and attracts 2 million visitors per year.
The botanical garden:
Here again, biodiversity is at the heart of concerns. The richness of its plant collections gives it international fame. Its 3 areas of work are conservation, education and research. The botanical garden is no less than 8 ha, including 6,500 m² of greenhouses. Collection of over 14,000 plants and a rich herbarium of 210,000 samples.
The Fourvière hill serves as a display for the second large park in Lyon. As its name suggests, it overlooks the city and offers a breathtaking panorama, at the foot of the Basilica of Fourvière. The park links together various spaces of peaceful beauty: from the area around the ancient Odeon, to the Jardin de la Visitation, via the Loyasse cemetery. The Rosary Gardens make it possible to reach the Saint-Jean and Saint-Paul districts from the Basilica, winding gently through terraces, belvederes and other esplanades. It’s up to you to admire the old roses, hydrangeas, cedars and orchards. We take different routes and astonishing climbs such as the Quatre Vents footbridge. You can venture onto the Sarra trail on foot or down it by mountain bike, thanks to a route marked out for this purpose.
Echoing the Tête d’Or park, the Parc de Gerland is located to the south of Lyon, to the east of the Presqu’île and the Confluence. It is dedicated to leisure, sports and the discovery of flora. It can be accessed by the banks of the Rhône, which it accompanies the last kilometers. Eventually integrating the Gerland stadium, it also leads to the Plaine des Jeux and the Palais des Sports. A 3 ha promenade allows you to cross it along a canal bordered by plants cultivated in a row. Called Megaphorbiaie, it allows woody plants, grasses, perennials, annuals or biennials, to flourish in six thematic plots, delimited on the ground by metal plates. A chromatic garden offers a new facet to the vegetation of the park by highlighting it. Open until 10 p.m., thanks to a sound installation, added to the colored lights, it creates a magical and unparalleled atmosphere.
Aware of the many benefits of contact with nature, city dwellers become an actor in their living environment. This city involvement further confirms the richness of the human-nature exchange. “Take care of nature and she will take care of you”. Very good initiatives are encouraged by the City and brought to life by its inhabitants. “Cultivate your vegetable garden in the city” A shared garden is a cultivable space, located on public or private land. It is maintained by the inhabitants, for their own benefit, through a management body.