The 7th arrondissement of Lyon is one of nine districts of Lyon. with an area of 975 ha, the 7th district lies between the Rhône (to the west), the course Gambetta north, the 8th district in the east and the town of Saint-Fons south. It is the largest district in Lyon. It is located on an almost flat territory, the alluvial plain of the Rhône.
Born in 1912 by detachment from part of the 3rd, the 7th is a centenary district. It was in 1959 that it took on the face we know it today, with the emergence of the 8th arrondissement to the east.
The Law of March 8, 1912 has shared the 3th district into two parts, the south becoming the 7th district, including the district called La Mouche. The latter found its current boundaries after the posting of its eastern part to create the 8 th arrondissement (order ofFebruary 19, 1959).
Numerous floods in the Rhône punctuated the history of the left bank of the river until the development of the dikes and quays of the Rhône after the catastrophic flood of 1852. It is in the district of La Mouche that from 1860, the first 5 riverboats saw the light of day. They were exploited in 1862, before they were the subject of the Paris competition, won in 1867 (source: Le Guichet du Savoir, municipal library of Lyon).
The city of Lyon is one of three French municipalities currently divided into municipal districts (with Paris and Marseille).
The law No.82-1169 of December 31, 1982 relating to the administrative organization of Paris, Lyon, Marseille and public establishments for inter-municipal cooperation, known as the PLM Law after the names of the cities concerned, is the French law which has established the particular administrative status applicable in particular to the city of Lyon. It was adopted in the context of the decentralization law (known as the Deferre Law) of March 2, 1982.
In this context, the PLM law transformed the former district town halls into structures elected at the local level. However, they are not fully-fledged town halls, and in particular do not levy taxes, but distribute the credits delegated to them by the Lyon Town Hall. However, they manage certain municipal facilities, and are consulted by the City of Lyon before certain decisions of local interest.
The 7th arrondissement is one of the most extensive and the most contrasted. It is made up of two very different districts: to the north, la Guillotière, the oldest populated, very dense, and to the south, la Mouche and Gerland. La Guillotière is the oldest district on the left bank of the Rhône. It owes its development to the presence of a bridge over the Rhône which was, until the construction of the Morand Bridge, the only passage to the east.
In Gallo-Roman times, a bridge already exists. This suburb developed in the 12th century; its essential vocation is transit and accommodation. The neighborhood is developing in a very haphazard fashion, on the basis of individual owners’ initiatives. The population progresses at the rate of construction, and at the same time activities are changing. Agriculture is gradually giving way to industries. To the east, there were large rural estates on which fortified houses were built. In 1840, the Quai du Rhône was built.
It was in 1852 that the prefect Vaisse attached the municipality of Guillotière, – which until then had been part of the Dauphiné – to Lyon. This annexation coincides with the establishment of the railway lines which will delimit the two parts of the district: Gerland, and la Guillotière.
Gerland, before its industrialization at the beginning of the 20th century, was a marsh area born from the arms of the river called “flies”. A part of this district is still called “the Fly” nowadays. The disappearance of the marshes and the damming up of the Rhône freed up immense land where, in the 19th century, small artisanal industries developed.
At the start of the 20th century, Gerland’s industrial vocation asserted itself with the establishment of chemical and food industries. This development leads to the construction of workers’ housing. The architect Tony Garnier left his mark in this district, with the Grande Halle des Abattoirs in 1918, which encouraged the establishment of jobs and related industries.
The old hall, now renamed Halle Tony Garnier, was renovated in the 1990s to accommodate cultural events or trade fairs.
Today, a profound transformation is affecting this district: the industrial sector is modernizing; the district has been able to assert a scientific identity with the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Sciences, the Lycée International, and the creation of Technopoles of companies oriented towards research, innovation and the activities of the future. It is the epicenter of the Lyon Biopôle competitiveness cluster.
Gerland remains the seat of administrations and tertiary organizations: the Army at the headquarters of Frère, the SNCF and EDF in la Mouche, the CNRS and the INRA rue du Vercors.
The Gerland stadium has been modernized to host the football world cup in 1998. Since the start of the 2017 school year, it has been dedicated to rugby with the LOU.
The metro network was extended in 2000 to the stadium.
A new 80 hectare park was opened to the public in 2000 in the heart of Gerland. This district now offers diversified functions: housing, state-of-the-art university hub, research (establishment of P4), economy (Aventis-Pasteur), services (Water Agency, international school city), and leisure (park, development banks).
From 1852, major facilities were set up at La Guillotière. The faculties settled on the left bank of the Rhône at the end of the 19th century. The universities of Sciences, Letters, Medicine, Law were created successively. Between the two wars, bourgeois housing developed south of the district. New structuring axes are traced, which are bordered by homes and shops. The Saint-Luc and Saint-Joseph hospitals are founded.
Today, activities are giving way more and more to habitat. Real estate operations are launched to fight against the pauperization of the neighborhood. The new Saint-Joseph and Saint-Luc hospital center was inaugurated at the end of 2002.
The Halle Tony Garnier is a concert hall located in the district of Gerland in Lyon. With a capacity of 4,416 to 5,496 seats and a total capacity of 17,000 places, with the safety standards in force, it is one of the largest in France. The Halle Tony-Garnier has been listed in the inventory of historical monuments since 1975.
The Gerland stadium, whose name is advertising Matmut Stadium Gerland, is the main sports arena of the town of Lyon, located in the 7th arrondissement, in the district of Gerland. Its capacity is now 35,029 people following various works. It has been registered as a historic monument since October 4, 1967
Lyon Sports Palace
The Palais des Sports de Lyon is a multi-purpose hall in Lyon, located in the Gerland district. Its maximum capacity is 7,999 people depending on its configuration. There is also an annex room, the Petit Palais des Sports, which mainly accommodates Volleyball teams (ASUL Lyon Volleyball). The Palais des Sports welcomes 19 and November 20, 1999 and the 12 and February 13, 2000 Mylène Farmer during her Mylenium Tour of Mylène Farmer, due to the unavailability of the Tony-Garnier hall then under construction. This site is served by the metro station “Stade de Gerland”.
Castle of La Motte
The Castle of La Motte (or La Mothe) is located in the 7th district of Lyon, left bank, in the department of Rhone. It stands in the vicinity of the junction of the old roads east and south of Lyon, on the border between Dauphiné and Lyonnais. It occupies a small elevation, a castle mound, (from which it takes its name) which sheltered it from flooding and ensured good visibility before the urbanization of the Guillotière district.
The Lyon-III University
The University Jean Moulin-Lyon III, Common Name “Jean Moulin University”,is a French university located in Lyon, as well as Bourg-en -Bresse. It is one of the four universities of the Académie de Lyon. It resulted from a split organized by several teachers from the University of Lyon II in 1973 and is a founding member of the University of Lyon.
The École normale supérieure de Lyon
Lyon Higher Normal School is a high school science and literary French, one of the four colleges graduate. It trains students in teaching and research in the field of fundamental and experimental sciences as well as in humanities and letters. Originally created to train exclusively its student-civil servants or normaliens, recruited by competitive examination, the ENS now also trains unpaid normaliens, auditors and foreign students. The School hosts around 2,200 students, 1,000 researchers, and a large number of laboratories and research centers, divided into ten departments. Reference in French higher education, it is an important research center, and one of the key centers of training of French researchers from the xix th century, in particular, by its history, in the fields of education and the education.
The plurality of structures participating in the cultural life of Lyon, make the Lyon metropolis a land of creation and cultural wealth. They also help create a unique identity in each arrondissement.
The Center for the History of the Resistance and Deportation
Created from a collection of documents, archives, testimonies relating to the Second World War, the Center for the History of Resistance and Deportation aims to preserve the memory of the dark years. Beyond this duty of memory, it is also a place of reflection and study intended to make History accessible to as many people as possible. Through its permanent exhibition, its program of temporary exhibitions, conferences and meetings, the CHRD also aims to sensitize a large public to the values of the Resistance and the defense of human rights. Through this, he tackles contemporary topics such as the Rwandan genocide, the coup d’état in Chile and tries to give visitors the keys to better understand the world around them. The History Center offers visitors a permanent route made up of three parts dealing respectively with involvement in the Resistance, information and propaganda, and events. At the end of the visit, the public is invited to watch a montage of extracts from the Barbie trial.
The Henry Chabert park, formerly Gerland Park also called Park Confluence is a green area of Lyon, in France. Located to the south of the city, on a former industrial site, it is dedicated to leisure and sports activities over nearly 18 hectares. TheDecember 19, 2019, the Lyon municipal council decides to name the park after Henry Chabert.
Banks of the Rhône
The banks of the Rhône or quays of the Rhône are a set of roads bordering the Rhône in Lyon. When it arrives in Lyon, the Rhône spreads out on its left bank, forming a backwater – the Vieux Rhône – enclosing an area called L’île de la Pape in the town of Rillieux-la-Pape and joining the bypass canal, the Jonage canal. It then passes between the Tête d’Or park and the foothills of the hill of La Croix-Rousse to flow between the old marshy area of Brotteaux and the center of the Peninsula to join the Saône at the confluence of La Mulatière opposite Gerland.
The Blandan park (or Sergeant Blandan Park) is a public park of 17 hectares open to the publicSeptember 13, 2013At the location of the barracks Sergeant Blandan (former Fort Lamothe) in the 7th arrondissement of Lyon. The park has three distinct spaces, a multipurpose square in the north, a “nature” area in the south and a panoramic park in the center. The central part is open to the public inseptember 2014. After rehabilitation, the northern part of the park, around the old fort, opens to the public on 17 May 2019 with more than 3 additional hectares of natural spaces open to the public. It is the third largest park in Lyon, after the Tête d’Or park and the Henry-Chabert park.